PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?


Soxheads
04-07-2002, 05:35 PM
What would be the first things you would do if you were named to the GM post for the Sox?

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
What would be the first things you would do if you were named to the GM post for the Sox?

In this order:

1.FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!
2.Make it clear to Manager Ghandi that his @$$ is REALLY on the line.Win or collect unemployment.
3.Trade Choice and C.Lee for pitching.
4.Trade Durham for pitching.
5.Bring up Harris and Crede.

:firenardi

"What does a guy have to do to get fired around here anyway?"

RedPinStripes
04-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70


In this order:

1.FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!
2.Make it clear to Manager Ghandi that his @$$ is REALLY on the line.Win or collect unemployment.
3.Trade Choice and C.Lee for pitching.
4.Trade Durham for pitching.
5.Bring up Harris and Crede.

:firenardi

"What does a guy have to do to get fired around here anyway?"

I would never take a job as Sox GM because JR won't allow someone to hire a REAL coaching staff and have a REAL payroll.

RichieRichAllen
04-07-2002, 06:42 PM
I'd agree with you on most of what you've said SoxSince'70. I've added some addendums below...

Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70


In this order:

1.FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!FIRE NARDI!!
2.Make it clear to Manager Ghandi that his @$$ is REALLY on the line.Win or collect unemployment. *This is the key here. If Jerry's gone, Nardi will follow. I'd go as far as wishing a poor showing in Detroit if it get's the Chicago media breathing down their necks...and HARD. Why not lose a few for the cause? It couldn't hurt that much this early. It might be just the impetus to wake up Reinsdorf and his cohort.*
3.Trade Choice and C.Lee for pitching. *Would also add Leifer and Valentin to this list. If we can't get much for Clayton, we need to at least give up quality to get something of quality. I think we're wasting Liefer. He'd be a good bat for somebody.*
4.Trade Durham for pitching. *Agreed. But not now. I think Ray's value is going to shoot up by mid-season. I expect big things from him this year. Also, I'd give his replacement (either Hummel or Harris) a little quality time in AAA before reassigning them.*
5.Bring up Harris and Crede. *How are both doing so far? Crede is ready (undoubtedly), but I'm not 100% sure on Harris. Would hate to see us make the same mistake with Harris that we did with Caruso.*

:firenardi

"What does a guy have to do to get fired around here anyway?"

CerberusWG
04-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Trade Durham for pitching (prospects of course, since we can't blow money)
Trade Clayton for an A or AA pitcher.
Bring up Crede, Harris.
Trade for Dan Plesac.
Fire Nardi.
Threaten to fire Jerry Manuel.
Would trade Manos if and only if Hummel is ready at SS.
Revamp the bullpen.

CerberusWG
04-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Thinking a little more now.

Trade C Lee for pitching, move Borchard to Right, Maggs to Left, and possibly Harris in Center. That would leave Crede at 3B, Hummel at 2nd, Konerko at first, with the only question mark being SS. Maybe Andy Gonzalez?

oldcomiskey
04-07-2002, 07:19 PM
trade useless hitless to pontotoc, mississippi for my ex wife---at least she has some range-----

Daver
04-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Thinking a little more now.

Trade C Lee for pitching, move Borchard to Right, Maggs to Left, and possibly Harris in Center. That would leave Crede at 3B, Hummel at 2nd, Konerko at first, with the only question mark being SS. Maybe Andy Gonzalez?

Harris doesn't have the arm for center.

Daver
04-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
trade useless hitless to pontotoc, mississippi for my ex wife---at least she has some range-----

LMAO!!

CerberusWG
04-07-2002, 07:22 PM
Then move Harris to 2nd, Hummel to SS, keep Lee in LF, Maggs in RF, Borchard in CF.

foulkesfan11
04-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


I would never take a job as Sox GM because JR won't allow someone to hire a REAL coaching staff and have a REAL payroll.

I second that. Being GM in Chicago wouldn't mean anything unless JR would let me spend money.

MarqSox
04-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
If Jerry's gone, Nardi will follow. I'd go as far as wishing a poor showing in Detroit if it get's the Chicago media breathing down their necks...and HARD. Why not lose a few for the cause? It couldn't hurt that much this early. It might be just the impetus to wake up Reinsdorf and his cohort.



I'd go as far as to say that anyone who would wish for a poor performance by the Sox FOR ANY REASON is not a Sox fan.

duke of dorwood
04-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Fire the manager and the staff

Trade Alomar and Clayton

Bring up Crede and Olivo

RichieRichAllen
04-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks for qualifying what a true Sox fan is for the rest of us, Marq.

Also, nice you took the time to comprehend the point I made as well. Can you say "knee jerk"? Atta boy.

You wanna break the bad news to (board) Jerry, or should I?

Originally posted by MarqSox



I'd go as far as to say that anyone who would wish for a poor performance by the Sox FOR ANY REASON is not a Sox fan.

Kilroy
04-07-2002, 11:35 PM
I'd sit back and relax for another week or so for several reasons:

1. Frank Thomas is coming off his longest off season ever. He's not gonna just "be Frank" right away, but he will get his timing back. Sure he went thru spring training, but that's not regular season with all that goes along with it, i.e. travel, ect. Also, he's not plagued by issues like he was in 99, so I don't think there's that much cause for concern w/ him yet.

2. Within the next week or so, you'll start to see pitchers stretch out their outings and go deeper into the games. Less bullpen means less gas on the fire.

3. Detroit and Baltimore are up next while Cleveland and Minnesota get to beat on each other for the next four days. If the Sox do what they are supposed to w/ Detroit, we should improve our standing this week.