PDA

View Full Version : Jon Garland said what?

RCWHITESOX
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM
After his pasting from the Mariners Garland was quoted saying "What do you do" "As long as you keep coming and playing hard, teams are coming out and beating you. Not much you can do". You have to be kidding ! Talk about a defeatist attitude no wonder the Sox are in last place and Garland is pitching batting practice. Unbelievable statement.

hi im skot
08-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Who is John Garland?

sox1970
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Who's John Garland?

soxfan13
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
After his pasting from the Mariners Garland was quoted saying "What do you do" "As long as you keep coming and playing hard, teams are coming out and beating you. Not much you can do". You have to be kidding ! Talk about a defeatist attitude no wonder the Sox are in last place and Garland is pitching batting practice. Unbelievable statement.

If he honestly believes that the team and himself are still playing their hardest then there is nothing wrong with that statement at all. IMO though, it looks like the team is resigned to the fact they arent going anywhere and are just going thru the motions.

Madvora
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Garland has been like this for a while. Remember how much **** he would get for everything he said before the 2005 season?
People kept saying the guy didn't have any heart and that he didn't care and all that bull****. I don't think this is a big deal at all. We've already been through all of this before.

CHIsoxNation
08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Garland has been like this for a while. Remember how much **** he would get for everything he said before the 2005 season?
People kept saying the guy didn't have any heart and that he didn't care and all that bull****. I don't think this is a big deal at all. We've already been through all of this before.

Yep, this isn't a surprise. It also wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the reasons he was shipped out this offseason.

downstairs
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh, come on. Its not like he said this at the beginning of the season, before the slide into last place.

What do you want him to day? "Yeah, I go out there and play like this is the 7th game of the World Series every day." That would be total BS if any player said that, on any team.

TDog
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
People around here take postgame comments too seriously.

balke
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
I love the fans that turn on every player as soon as they get into a funk. They always wanna cut or trade them when they aren't worth a crap, but when they are doing good they think Kenny would be nuts to trade them for something valuable in return.

:rolleyes:

As someone said, people generally like Jon's attitude when he's winning.

jabrch
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
I assume "John Garland" is the same Jon Garland that has won 18 games two years in a row and that he hasn't suddenly become someone else. In that case, I'm going to chalk this up to be a result of a crappy season and not a symptom of a bigger problem with JG.

jabrch
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I love the fans that turn on every player as soon as they get into a funk. They always wanna cut or trade them when they aren't worth a crap, but when they are doing good they think Kenny would be nuts to trade them for something valuable in return.

As I said in another thread, the more informed our fans have gotten, the dumber they sound.

esbrechtel
08-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Would you rather him leave his teammates out to dry by saying...If Uribe and Fields didnt suck on Defense that one inning then we would have only been chasing three and that is a deficit we could have made up...It is all their fault we are bad not mine...

Grzegorz
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
I look to him to be steadying influence but I am disappointed at his results as of late.

That said, Jon Garland is a laid back California guy. Nothing he's said puts me off.

RCWHITESOX
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM

I'm not turning on him because he's in a funk I'm stating that he has a non chalant attitude and allways has. That's fact not fiction. Now maybe your OK with his less than stellar season this year and feel he can't do any wrong with his laid back attitude. My feeling is that when your attitude is oh well what the hell I guess there just better than us doesn't send a good overall message. Negativism is like a disease once it starts it is hard to turn around.

Law11
08-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I have no issue with this statement.
Like earlier posts have said this team is rsigned to their fate.

I mean what more can you do. How do you get up mentally when things are this bad.

We get upset when people sugar coat things then when they speak their minds they lose again. I'd rather him say this then that blanket ,all I can do is just give it my all each time out media speak.

balke
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm not turning on him because he's in a funk I'm stating that he has a non chalant attitude and allways has. That's fact not fiction. Now maybe your OK with his less than stellar season this year and feel he can't do any wrong with his laid back attitude. My feeling is that when your attitude is oh well what the hell I guess there just better than us doesn't send a good overall message. Negativism is like a disease once it starts it is hard to turn around.

Well you think that's his attitude because of a newspaper quote. I don't think that's his attitude, I think he's got a knot in his shoulder and maybe shouldn't be pitching at all right now. No need to beat yourself up over a run of bad starts, that are possibly injury related.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

I mean what more can you do. How do you get up mentally when things are this bad.

We get upset when people sugar coat things then when they speak their minds they lose again. I'd rather him say this then that blanket ,all I can do is just give it my all each time out media speak.
I understand if the vets feel beat up and just want to go home, but if the rookies out there can't get up mentally, they don't belong here. Guys like Floyd, Richar, Owens and Fields are fighting for jobs here. They HAVE to play like they're in the middle of a pennant race. But I think the vets are beaten mentally. And I understand that. I think Garland is hurting and ya know, i don't really have a problem with what he said. I doubt he's having any fun out there. I don't think anyone on this team is.

jabrch
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm stating that he has a non chalant attitude and allways has.

So you have always disliked his performance and talked this way about him?

That's fact not fiction. Now maybe your OK with his less than stellar season this year and feel he can't do any wrong with his laid back attitude.

Speaking of fiction....He's won 18 games two seasons in a row with his attitude. I think it has served him quite well.

My feeling is that when your attitude is oh well what the hell I guess there just better than us doesn't send a good overall message. Negativism is like a disease once it starts it is hard to turn around.

I'm guessing you know very little about Jon Garland's attitude and are only able to guess based on snippets in the media. Players don't become quality major league starters by not caring.

There's nothing wrong with not beating yourself up over a crappy season.

RCWHITESOX
08-20-2007, 04:11 PM
So you have always disliked his performance and talked this way about him?

Speaking of fiction....He's won 18 games two seasons in a row with his attitude. I think it has served him quite well.

I'm guessing you know very little about Jon Garland's attitude and are only able to guess based on snippets in the media. Players don't become quality major league starters by not caring.

There's nothing wrong with not beating yourself up over a crappy season.
Since I don't know him personally I can only go by what I've read and quotes by him. I won't disagree that he is a quality pitcher but maybe he would possibly be a number 1 picher instead of a #2 or 3 if he was a little less laid back. As for this year he has not been a quality starter with a era approaching 5.

jabrch
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Since I don't know him personally I can only go by what I've read and quotes by him. I won't disagree that he is a quality pitcher but maybe he would possibly be a number 1 picher instead of a #2 or 3 if he was a little less laid back. As for this year he has not been a quality starter with a era approaching 5.

He won 18 games two years in a ****ing row with the same personality. Why is it so damn difficult for people to understand that sometimes you just have a worse season than other years?

After winning 18 and 19 games in 1988 and 1989, Greg Maddux won 15 games and went .500 in 1990. Stupid fans complained about his attitude and his passiveness. Good fans were patient and watched him go on to continue to be patient and passive and win 300 more games. Not saying Garland is Maddux - but I am saying your post is baseless and with no merit.

Mercy!
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I think the quality of baseball dialogue would be much improved if MLB followed the lead of Japanese ball and kept the locker rooms closed. No media sticking recorders in the faces of guys trying to get dressed and go home after a day at work.

RCWHITESOX
08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
He won 18 games two years in a ****ing row with the same personality. Why is it so damn difficult for people to understand that sometimes you just have a worse season than other years?

After winning 18 and 19 games in 1988 and 1989, Greg Maddux won 15 games and went .500 in 1990. Stupid fans complained about his attitude and his passiveness. Good fans were patient and watched him go on to continue to be patient and passive and win 300 more games. Not saying Garland is Maddux - but I am saying your post is baseless and with no merit.

Speaking of merit please don't compare Garland with Maddux because there is no comparasion. Now if you want to compare him to Mark Gubicza or Brad Radke fine, but please not to Maddux who never had a era over 3.18 after his second year in the same time frame as Garlands. Obviously your diluted in his ability.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I think i'd be alot more pissed if this season actually mattered...f

jabrch
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Obviously your diluted in his ability.

Someone please get me the grammar police...

RCWHITESOX
08-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Someone please get me the grammar police...

Please get me someone who knows the difference between a #1 pitcher in Greg Maddux and a #3 pitcher in Jon Garland . Someone with an ounce of rationality. Grammar Police please.

Daver
08-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Please get me someone who knows the difference between a #1 pitcher in Greg Maddux and a #3 pitcher in Jon Garland .

I would have no complaint if Jon Garland was the opening day starter next season.

upperdeckusc
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
i personally didnt find anything wrong with what he said. when i read the title of this thread i thought he was gonna rip the offense or the defense behind him lately.

Martinigirl
08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
What do you want him to say? He had a bad game. Do you want him to act like a petulant child and throw things?

The man doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve. That has never been his personality. Why should that change now? Because we are losing you want him to become a different person? That seems not only odd, but impossible.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Speaking of merit please don't compare Garland with Maddux because there is no comparasion. Now if you want to compare him to Mark Gubicza or Brad Radke fine, but please not to Maddux who never had a era over 3.18 after his second year in the same time frame as Garlands. Obviously your diluted in his ability.
Well, I don't think he was trying to say that Jon Garland is the second coming of Greg Maddux, he was just pointing out how after two very good years Greg Maddux had two very mediocre years. Now, it is also worth noting that those two bad years Maddux had were on atrocious teams, Garland is having a bad year now, but it is clear he is on a bad team.

kitekrazy
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
What do you want him to say? He had a bad game. Do you want him to act like a petulant child and throw things?

The man doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve. That has never been his personality. Why should that change now? Because we are losing you want him to become a different person? That seems not only odd, but impossible.

Great post.

No, we just want him to beat up a fellow teammate. He night go back to winning games. :smile:

I'm sick of adult athletes wearing their emotions on their sleeve. That seems like the only thing kids pick up from pro athletes.

flo-B-flo
08-21-2007, 12:57 AM

We get upset when people sugar coat things then when they speak their minds they lose again. I'd rather him say this then that blanket ,all I can do is just give it my all each time out media speak. I was gonna write this..........:smile:

Soxfanspcu11
08-21-2007, 04:37 AM

I hate jumping into the middle of other people's arguments. Obviously this little back and forth you guys have is between you two.

However, I will say that he was not comparring Jon Garland to Greg Maddux. He was just using it as a reference point.

He even said in his post that he was not comparring Garland and Maddux.

HerzogVon
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Why should the dark clouds only be here? ( Ahem! ) :rolleyes: Negativity isn't all that bad if put to good use. Besides; if I recall, Jack McDowell was also a "laid back" Californian. He seemed to do pretty well...

Frontman
08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Jon's always been a laid back pitcher. And he's right. If you do what you're supposed to do, and still get beat? What can you do?

Honestly, Jon and the rest of the Sox players are pretty happy to see Pre-season football start. :wink:

Look, getting upset that they feel defeated is not going to get them or yourself anywhere. Let's face it, this road trip killed any shot of having a "good" season. This season, the Sox got beat on multiple fronts (no pun intended) and next year, I hope we see some changes to the lineup and hope they can turn it around.

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh, come on. Its not like he said this at the beginning of the season, before the slide into last place.

What do you want him to day? "Yeah, I go out there and play like this is the 7th game of the World Series every day." That would be total BS if any player said that, on any team.
You are probably right, but if I was making 10million a year I would try to pitch every game like it was the 7th game of the WS.

balke
08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
You are probably right, but if I was making 10million a year I would try to pitch every game like it was the 7th game of the WS.

Until you get 10 million and you realize it may be better to learn from a start and try new things so you can better yourself for next season. I'm not sure if that's what he's doing or not, but during this game Coop came out and had a talk with him at the mound, and you could tell they were talking mechanics and what to do in that situation.

I wouldn't care if Danks Buehrle and Garland get limited to 80 pitches the rest of the season. I'm more worried about next season when the Sox have a shot. Right now it may be better to let the bullpen get some work, and to straighten out Contreras and Floyd so the Sox can make a decision in the offseason about who's going to be pitching.

areilly
08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Jon's always been a laid back pitcher. And he's right. If you do what you're supposed to do, and still get beat? What can you do?

Garland is also a great example of why I hate people talking about what some famous person "is like." If Garland's pitching poorly, his attitude translates to indifference, laziness, and lack of heart. If he's pitching well, people take it as calm and cool, as a man at the top of his game.

He's the same guy either way. Do any of us really know him? Or any player for that matter? The answer is no, and that's why discussions like these are stupid. Ask an accountant or systems analyst how their day was after a ****ty day at the office and I doubt they're going to tell you that they've got to go out there and give 110% percent tomorrow, or that you itemize expenses and streamline data models one day at a time.

soxfan13
08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Garland is also a great example of why I hate people talking about what some famous person "is like." If Garland's pitching poorly, his attitude translates to indifference, laziness, and lack of heart. If he's pitching well, people take it as calm and cool, as a man at the top of his game.

He's the same guy either way. Do any of us really know him? Or any player for that matter? The answer is no, and that's why discussions like these are stupid. Ask an accountant or systems analyst how their day was after a ****ty day at the office and I doubt they're going to tell you that they've got to go out there and give 110% percent tomorrow, or that you itemize expenses and streamline data models one day at a time.

You nailed it on the head with that quote:gulp:

jabrch
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Jon pitches every game the same way. He just shows his emotions differently than some other guys do.

The other end of the spectrum would be a guy like Carlos Zambrano or Jose Lima. If that's what you like in your pitchers, you have reason to have hated Jon not only this year, but for the past 5 years. He's terrible, if your definition of terrible is that he doesn't rant and rave like a lunatic.

This (not you Nell - the topic as a whole) is stupid. It's shortsighted and it is not at all based in the reality of what kind of a man or a pitcher Jon is.

TornLabrum
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with wearing your emotions on your sleeve, so long as you don't let it interfere with your performance. There's nothing wrong with being laid back, as long as you don't let it interfere with your performance.

There are many different personality types. Garland happens to be of the type where you don't go ape**** if you lose. I assume he hates losing just as much as the rest of us. He just doesn't let it get to him.

This whole thread is ridiculous because essentially it is saying that Garland should change his personality. How often do you see THAT happen?

D. TODD
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I like Garland's attitude and statement. As long as he is going 100% you can't beat yourself up when things are going poorly. Baseball more then any other sport needs the even keeled approach through the LONG seasons.