PDA

View Full Version : Who ya want?

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Let's look ahead to 2008, what are some moves you want Kenny to make? Who do you want as our starting CF and SS? How about at leadoff? Assuming that our base payroll heading into the off season is 85.075 mil, you could add guys like David Eckstein and Aaron Rowand for about 15 mil a year (they'll probably take less) and still get a payroll of about 115 mil. There is also a guy from Japan who can play short named Tomohiro Nioka, he doesn't have a whole lot speed but he has a great average and a lot of pop. From the Dice-K sweepstakes it may take a lot to sign him, but he's a guy to consider. Anyone in particular you want to see here? Anyone that you think we can get realistically here?

Domeshot17
08-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Isnt there a thread a week like this in Whats the Score?

CLR01
08-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Isnt there a thread a week like this in Whats the Score?

When you have a chance to bring up Rowand in the clubhouse you have to give it a shot, I guess.

Frater Perdurabo
08-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Doing the rumored Contreras for Furcal swap (and buying out Uribe) fills the leadoff and shortstop holes on the team and results in a payroll savings of about $1.5 million.

eriqjaffe
08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
David Eckstein ... for about 15 mil a year:roflmao:

upperdeckusc
08-20-2007, 09:55 AM
:roflmao:

i think, or at least i HOPE, he meant we can get rowand and eckstein combined for 15 mil a yr (7.5 mil a yr for each).

SBSoxFan
08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Boy, if Eckstein is the Sox' starting SS next year, I just have this feeling that watching him throw will make everyone miss Uribe's defense. :o:

balke
08-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I already miss Uribe's defense, and he hasn't even left yet.

SBSoxFan
08-20-2007, 11:11 AM

:tongue:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
If the Sox are committed to the payroll for the longterm, get A-Rod. Look at a guy like Bob Wickman, who's 39 next year. Would he come in a set-up man?

russ99
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Yeah, but I won't miss his horrible offense.

If Eckstein is too expensive, I wonder if Kenny would bring in his longtime favorite, Omar Vizquel? I know, he's getting pretty old.

With Dye in place in RF, and likely a FA signing in center (please KW, gimme Torii Hunter) , I'd also like Kenny to make a deal for an inexpensive young major-league LF, since the grinders and rookies plan for the OF doesn't seem to work out.

oeo
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM

I won't miss it. He goes through long stretches where he's lazy as hell. If he would stop that, he'd easily be one of the best defenders in all of baseball. Since he takes days off, he's a pretty useless player.

upperdeckusc
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, but I won't miss his horrible offense.

If Eckstein is too expensive, I wonder if Kenny would bring in his longtime favorite, Omar Vizquel? I know, he's getting pretty old.

With Dye in place in RF, and likely a FA signing in center (please KW, gimme Torii Hunter) , I'd also like Kenny to make a deal for an inexpensive young major-league LF, since the grinders and rookies plan for the OF doesn't seem to work out.

*cough* wily mo pena *cough* :D:

eriqjaffe
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
If Eckstein is too expensive, I wonder if Kenny would bring in his longtime favorite, Omar Vizquel? I know, he's getting pretty old.He is a forty year-old shorstop.

Pass.

upperdeckusc
08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
He is a forty year-old shorstop.

Pass.

it'd probably be a one year contract, not a 5 yr deal, and it'd give us one more year to find a younger or better alternative at SS. for next yr, ill take a 40 yr old vizquel over a current uribe 10 out of 10 times.

the1tab
08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Steve Stone floated a Garland-for-Carl Crawford idea on the score.

I like it. Then we have Scott Pods wheels w/out the prancing and DL stints with 20 homers to boot. If we had him in left I would love to see Richar and Owens stay every day. I like Fields contact in the lineup for the cheap batting lower in that order... we would just need a SS. If Omar wants to stay in SF like he claimed on the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network's website today, then we're looking at Eckstein leaving StL (I doubt it) or an unknown trade candidate... is Julio Lugo out there somewhere?????

CF - Owens
LF - Crawford
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
3B - Fields
C - Pierzinski
SS - HELP
2B - Richar

mjmcend
08-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Steve Stone floated a Garland-for-Carl Crawford idea on the score.

I like it. Then we have Scott Pods wheels w/out the prancing and DL stints with 20 homers to boot. If we had him in left I would love to see Richar and Owens stay every day. I like Fields contact in the lineup for the cheap batting lower in that order... we would just need a SS. If Omar wants to stay in SF like he claimed on the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network's website today, then we're looking at Eckstein leaving StL (I doubt it) or an unknown trade candidate... is Julio Lugo out there somewhere?????

CF - Owens
LF - Crawford
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
3B - Fields
C - Pierzinski
SS - HELP
2B - Richar

No one has ever convinced me that Tampa would be even remotely interested in Garland (or any of our major league pitchers).

JermaineDye05
08-20-2007, 08:08 PM
No one has ever convinced me that Tampa would be even remotely interested in Garland (or any of our major league pitchers).

Stones argument was that as of now Tampa is overrun with young good outfielders, I think one of the names Stone threw out was Dustin Biell. Now that Crawford will soon be demanding big money that it might be time for them to move him, and Jon Garland could be a big help for Tampa Bay now that their rotation appears to be forming with Kazmir and Shields that a big boost would be a good veteran pitcher which the Sox could offer with Garland. This was just speculation by Stone and what he believes the Sox should do.

socko82
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I think we are more likely to trade for a new shortstop instead of signing one as a free agent. That way Kenny can either try to trade dollar for dollar or get the other team to pick up some salary. I think Kenny makes a play for Furcal, Tejada or Renteria before overpaying for a free agent like Eckstein or Vizquel.

JermaineDye05
08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I think we are more likely to trade for a new shortstop instead of signing one as a free agent. That way Kenny can either try to trade dollar for dollar or get the other team to pick up some salary. I think Kenny makes a play for Furcal, Tejada or Renteria before overpaying for a free agent like Eckstein or Vizquel.

Who says we need a shortstop? Sweeney's going to be the right fielder next year with Dye being the new starting shortstop. He does have experience, I mean that one game in Oakland right?

upperdeckusc
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Stones argument was that as of now Tampa is overrun with young good outfielders, I think one of the names Stone threw out was Dustin Biell. Now that Crawford will soon be demanding big money that it might be time for them to move him, and Jon Garland could be a big help for Tampa Bay now that their rotation appears to be forming with Kazmir and Shields that a big boost would be a good veteran pitcher which the Sox could offer with Garland. This was just speculation by Stone and what he believes the Sox should do.

the only reason i dont see this happening is that garland will be due for a big payday as well after '08. are they gonna pony up big bucks to keep him around? if the answer is no, then no way does this trade happen. with that said, GET IT DONE! :)

Craig Grebeck
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I would be interested in acquiring Jeff Salazar for CF in 2008. I would love to have Furcal for 13 million a year, but it's far more likely that we would have to give up Garland instead of Contreras and receive a prospect like Jonathan Meloan in return. If we have no intention of resigning Garland, I'd say that's a decent return. If we plan on keeping Garland, we'd have to throw a prospect the Dodgers' way. If we could free up enough payroll I'd sign Koji Uehara to a 3 year deal for 30 million, with an option for 12. Uehara would be a risky pickup, but he's a better bet than Jose.

Furcal
Richar
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
Crede
AJP
Salazar

Buehrle
Vazquez
Uehara
Danks
(prospect received in Garland trade)

FarWestChicago
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Buehrle
Vazquez
Uehara
Danks
(prospect received in Garland trade)Now that staff would strike fear into the rest of the AL.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Depending upon the 2008 payroll, the Sox could be in a great position to sign A-Rod, or any other free agent. They have three solid starters, all at below market value, and Danks, who could be a number five guy. The teams highest paid player, Thome, has a nice chunk of his salary picked up by Philly. Before resigning any of their own free agents, and because I don't know how much Philly is picking up, and casting Contreras adrift, along with Pods or Erstad, the Sox are at around 85 million in payroll. Is a payroll of $120 million realistic in '08? That's an increase of $12 million from opening day this year. What can $35 million a year get you these days? A-Rod will go to the highest bidder, it could be the Sox, KW has made no secret that he covets A-Rod. How about Jones and Eckstein?

jdm2662
08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Now that staff would strike fear into the rest of the AL.

It strikes fear into me. :o:

Tragg
08-20-2007, 10:05 PM
I certainly don't want to go through another year with Ozzie's hackers. But Eckstein is not an improvement; Rowand is a step up, but not an elite hitter. Vizquel - that's just ridiculous (unless we have a young SS in tow ready to go and he gives a veteran presence).

And gracious don't waste precious resources on more veteran middle relievers. That approach killed us this year. WE have young high ceiling pitchers - use them.

Resources are scarce. Get a stud young outfielder and then a SS prospect for our tradable commodities. (pitching, which is valuable). And make sure the staff is willing and able to coach them.

Tragg
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Stones argument was that as of now Tampa is overrun with young good outfielders, I think one of the names Stone threw out was Dustin Biell.
Trade strength for strength. Sounds good to me.

Tampa traded an excess infielder for an Astros middle reliever, so they may be willing to grab some veteran pitching.

Craig Grebeck
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Now that staff would strike fear into the rest of the AL.
As opposed to...please share your ideas. If you're going to slam me for trying to share my ideas why the hell don't you share yours?

Also, like it or not, sooner or later we're going to have to add some youth to our team, whether it's in the pitching staff or lineup, it has to happen sometime. We cannot turn into the Orioles/Giants/Cardinals and sign patchwork vets.

If we sign Eckstein, I will not attend one game. It would be an absolutely atrocious signing.

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
As opposed to...please share your ideas. If you're going to slam me for trying to share my ideas why the hell don't you share yours?

Also, like it or not, sooner or later we're going to have to add some youth to our team, whether it's in the pitching staff or lineup, it has to happen sometime. We cannot turn into the Orioles/Giants/Cardinals and sign patchwork vets.

If we sign Eckstein, I will not attend one game. It would be an absolutely atrocious signing.
You wouldn't want a guy who is hitting .290 on this team? You wouldn't want a guy who is one of the hardest guys to strike out? Now, I don't want him at short, but I would have no objections to him being on the team.

SoxxoS
08-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Well, you dont have to add youth. And the youth coming to a rotation near you is actually plentiful...in Egbert and Gio.

Chips
08-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Cuddyer. I want him.

mjmcend
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM

Again, why would they want Garland instead of young pitching from the minors whom they could control at a minimal salary for 6 years? Garland makes more than Crawford and is a free agents after 08. Stone (and anyone else) who thinks Tampa wants Garland (or any of our major league pitchers - Mark included) is just wrong.

esbrechtel
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Post of the week!

FarWestChicago
08-21-2007, 06:45 PM
As opposed to...please share your ideas. If you're going to slam me for trying to share my ideas why the hell don't you share yours?First of all, I didn't "slam" you. It was a very benign joke. Second of all, unlike many, I don't claim to be a baseball genius. I have no idea how to fix the team. :D:

PennStater98r
08-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Someone wake up on the wrong side of the cave?

the1tab
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
We could be Baltimore tonite...

Bobby Abreu has a player option in the Bronx. Anyone have any thoughts about him playing opposite Dye w/ Owens between them?

Also, I might be developing a slight mancrush on Josh Fields. What do we do w/ Crede????????

SoxxoS
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Bobby Abreu has a player option in the Bronx. Anyone have any thoughts about him playing opposite Dye w/ Owens between them?

Also, I might be developing a slight mancrush on Josh Fields. What do we do w/ Crede????????

If Fields doesn't improve at 3B - I think KW should swallow his pride and sign Crede and stick Fields in left. As stated earlier, we don't have strikeout pitchers - This team NEEDS defense, esp. infield defense. Who knows who is going to play SS next season - but Crede at third would make me feel a lot better as to who we trot out there.

Fields played College QB, he has the arm. And I think he will regain some speed next year as well, with the offseason to heal his bothersome hamstring.

balke
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
If Fields doesn't improve at 3B - I think KW should swallow his pride and sign Crede and stick Fields in left. As stated earlier, we don't have strikeout pitchers - This team NEEDS defense, esp. infield defense. Who knows who is going to play SS next season - but Crede at third would make me feel a lot better as to who we trot out there.

Fields played College QB, he has the arm. And I think he will regain some speed next year as well, with the offseason to heal his bothersome hamstring.

The only problem is if Boras will let the Sox look at Crede in order to make a decision about him going forward. Without Crede's GG calibur defense, he's not worth signing. I think the Sox would make him an offer regardless if he had another agent, but Crede's agent may put a damper on this whole thing. I expect the Sox to make a legitimate offer, but they won't go crazy.

russ99
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
The only problem is if Boras will let the Sox look at Crede in order to make a decision about him going forward. Without Crede's GG calibur defense, he's not worth signing. I think the Sox would make him an offer regardless if he had another agent, but Crede's agent may put a damper on this whole thing. I expect the Sox to make a legitimate offer, but they won't go crazy.

I wonder if the Sox could trade Joe between the arb offer (15th of December) and the hearing (late Feb)? That is if Bore-ass would let any other clubs see Joe's medical reports.

ma-gaga
08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Cuddyer. I want him.

No. You can't have him.

You can have Hunter, Castillo, Rincon, or even Silva.

Not Cuddyer.

chisoxmike
08-23-2007, 10:48 AM
No. You can't have him.

You can have Hunter, Castillo, Rincon, or even Silva.

Not Cuddyer.

Hunter -Meh
Castillo - No (Isn't he on the Mets now?)
Rincon- Steroids
Silva - :rolling:

oeo
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM

No Owens in CF...he's got the arm of a little leaguer.

chisoxmike
08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
No Owens in CF...he's got the arm of a little leaguer.

In today's Sun-Times, Ozzie said Plan A for 2008 leadoff is Owens. :o::o::o:

SBSoxFan
08-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Hunter -Meh
Castillo - No (Isn't he on the Mets now?)
Rincon- Steroids
Silva - :rolling:

I had a similar response planned, but your's was much better elucidated!

SBSoxFan
08-23-2007, 11:27 AM
In today's Sun-Times, Ozzie said Plan A for 2008 leadoff is Owens. :o::o::o:

Leading off and playing LF?

CLR01
08-23-2007, 11:36 AM

DH. God, were you not paying attention in the strategy thread?

Taliesinrk
08-23-2007, 11:39 AM

That's what I'm talkin about!!
:gulp::gulp::gulp:

areilly
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM

After this latest tweak/pull/whatever it was, I'm convinced Pods has to go. Jerry Owens, come on down!

SBSoxFan
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
DH. God, were you not paying attention in the strategy thread?

I tried, but some threads here make me sleepy.