PDA

View Full Version : Flubbies in First thread

thomas35forever
08-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Talk about the Flubs being in first place here.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Talk about the Flubs being in first place here.I don't want to, and you can't make me.:neener:

QCIASOXFAN
08-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I give this thread one dag gunnit.

SpartanSoxFan
08-19-2007, 02:27 AM
http://photos.freenewmexican.com/2007/06/03/52847_375x375.jpg
"Go Cubs Win."

StillMissOzzie
08-19-2007, 02:53 AM
As I've said a few times before, it's 1984 all over again.

SMO
:angry::(::mad:

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2007, 02:55 AM

SMO
The Cardinals will win the division. That's what I've tried to tell myself.

C-Dawg
08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm not concerned; this is just business as usual. They manage to motivate themselves enough to beat St. Louis but then they'll just get swept by the Pirates. Happens every year.

I'm picking St. Louis this year.

ndgt10
08-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't think any team in the NL could beat the cubs in the playoffs. I see them going to the world series and posing a very tough matchup for one of the AL teams.

I hate to say it, but it looks like the cubs have a great shot at winning it all this year.

itsnotrequired
08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
The Cubs and Packers will play each other in a baseball game and a football game. Overall, which team will perform better?

Brian26
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I give this thread one dag gunnit.

DAD GUMMIT.
:hawk
"Check that."

Brian26
08-19-2007, 08:30 AM

SMO

It's 1998 all over again. If they slip in by some chance, they won't go far.

Brian26
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
I hate to say it, but it looks like the cubs have a great shot at winning it all this year.

Disagree. There are at least six teams in the AL that are hands down better than them. Not even close. In the NL, it's a crap shoot, but the Mets look solid 1-9, and the Braves are stacked.

voodoochile
08-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Here's 4,006 words on the subject...

:threadsucks

:threadblows:

:whocares

:chunks

itsnotrequired
08-19-2007, 08:34 AM
^That's only 8 words.

:D:

voodoochile
08-19-2007, 08:35 AM
^That's only 8 words.

:D:

I included the ones I actually typed...:tongue:

Brian26
08-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Here's 4,006 words on the subject...

:whocares

Beat me to it. :D:

DrCrawdad
08-19-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't think any team in the NL could beat the cubs in the playoffs. I see them going to the world series and posing a very tough matchup for one of the AL teams.

The Cubbies are a machine. No one can stop this little blue machine.

'07 Cubbies on pace to win 84 games.

Brian26
08-19-2007, 08:58 AM
'07 Cubbies on pace to win 84 games.

What's pathetic is that the AL will have the best four playoff teams in baseball duke it out for a chance to go to the Series, and the inferior NL team (just like last year) may just steal the Series.

DumpJerry
08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Talk about the Flubs being in first place here.
Do we have to? This should be a short conversation, this first place stuff won't last too long.

DrCrawdad
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
What's pathetic is that the AL will have the best four playoff teams in baseball duke it out for a chance to go to the Series, and the inferior NL team (just like last year) may just steal the Series.

It's true that once you're in the playoffs the hottest team, and not necessarily the best team, can win it all (see '06 Cardinals).

The thing that's funny to me is how when the Cubbies win a couple games the Cubbies are suddenly this winning machine that can not be stopped and they're the greatest team in MLB. The same people who talk like this say that the '06 Sox "sucked."

'07 Cubbies on pace to win 84 games
'06 Sox won 90 games

The same people who boast about the '07 Cubbies are the same people who said that the '05 Sox got "lucky."

'05 Sox
161 days in first place
99 wins
11-1 in the post-season

The people who boast about the '07 Cubbies, are moronic Cubbie fans.

downstairs
08-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I've said it since the beginning of the season. No one is running away with the NL Central, and the winner is going to be the one that "least wants to lose it". It will be a situation where someone backs into a playoff spot.

Heck, it still could be an UNDER 500 team winning that junk division!

And, the NL isn't as balanced for pure crap as its always seemed this year. There are a few strong enough teams to make a Cubs World Series berth a bit unlikely, even if they do win.

Dan Mega
08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
So they win the division and make the playoffs. And? Do you really think they would go anywhere?

In my eyes they are not a rival. I am more worried that the stinking Twinkies, Indians, or Tiggers will go all the way. I hate those teams with a passion.

Frontman
08-19-2007, 10:29 AM

http://www.criticsociety.com/posters/m/moonstruck_1987.jpg

"SNAP OUT OF IT!!!"

This is the Cubs we're talking about. If there is a way to screw up, they'll find it.

oeo
08-19-2007, 10:34 AM

And yet they can't beat the good teams out of the West and East. The only teams they can beat, are in the Central. :dunno:

veeter
08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I still like the Brew Crew.

balke
08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Completely
Useless
By
September

Albert Pujols finishes the year with 40+ HR's, and the Brewers goes on a September Surge to push the Cubbies out of the playoffs.

itsnotrequired
08-19-2007, 12:40 PM
And yet they can't beat the good teams out of the West and East. The only teams they can beat, are in the Central. :dunno:

The Cubs and Cardinals are the only teams with winning records against the East (13-12 and 15-14, respectively). No team has a winning record against the West.

JB98
08-19-2007, 12:54 PM

The Cubs are 63-59. They have the sixth-best record in the NL.

If they get in, of course anything can happen. But they certainly are not one of the favorites. There are three clubs in the NL East that are superior to the Cubs. The Padres will be a tough out if they get in because they have Peavy and Chris Young. No team in the NL can match that in a short series.

I think the Cubs fans and the Cub-loving media are getting inside your head. This is a mediocre Cub team. They might be good enough to win that weak division, but there's nothing special about them.

JermaineDye05
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Either the Braves or the Mets will take the Cubs down in the playoffs. If the Cubs actually make it past them and get to the series, they will be overmatched by any of the teams in the AL who make it to the series to oppose them.

DumpJerry
08-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Lately the D-backs are looking strong. Cubs play them this week, by the way.

South Side Irish
08-19-2007, 01:32 PM
2006 Cardinals Were a Very Good Baseball Team!!! Nobody was better than the Tigers all year, but the Cardinals WERE NOT an awful team. Their 83-79 record represents losing 5 starting position players to the DL, as well as 2 starters, their closer, and multiple role players. The Cardinals finally got healthy at the end of the year, and their run in October shows it. They nearly swept a solid Padres team, duked it out with a good Mets team, and took advantage of poor Tiger fielding. And the bottom line - dominant pitching. The rookies came up and learned to dominate the last 60 games, then shut everyone down - including the Tigers - in the playoffs.

If you want more proof, see the 204 wins combined the two prior "normal" injury years ('04 and '05). The 2007 version is a shell, with a decrepit power core (Edmonds/Rolen), vacated pitching staff and bullpen, and very little at either end of the order. (Thanks, DeWitt, for making that happen!:angry:)

Sorry for the rant, but the notion that the '06 Cards were horrible is incorrect, and drives me nuckin' futs!

South Side Irish
08-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, and the Cubs are a good team this year. I don't think they can beat a healthy Mets team, though. And the pitching that the D'backs and Padres have is pretty good, too. And look out for the Braves. The Cubs are a markedly improved team since May, but the NL is tough.

And I still don't think any NL team can run with the Indians, Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Tigers, or Mariners. Very good teams, and I just don't know if any NL team has the offense to match the AL, not to mention the shut-down pitching.

And don't be surprised if either Carlos on the Cubs comes down with an injury, and very soon.

getonbckthr
08-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Its football season.

oeo
08-19-2007, 02:21 PM
The Cubs and Cardinals are the only teams with winning records against the East (13-12 and 15-14, respectively).

That's the West, not the East.

They're 15-18 against the East. That's 8-14 against the Mets, Phillies, and Braves. So they've beaten up on Florida and Washington...big deal.

They're also 4-7 against the two best in the West. So that's a combined 12-21 against probably the five best teams in the NL.

They beat bad teams; they've been unable to beat the good ones. So how does that make them the favorites in the playoffs?

pierzynski07
08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Who knows. Sox were 7-10 against the R*d Sox and Angels in 05.

JB98
08-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Lately the D-backs are looking strong. Cubs play them this week, by the way.

Milwaukee plays at Arizona first this week. Looks like the Brewers will face the red-hot Brandon Webb, while the Cubs dodge that bullet. Surprise, surprise.

itsnotrequired
08-20-2007, 06:31 AM
That's the West, not the East.

They're 15-18 against the East. That's 8-14 against the Mets, Phillies, and Braves. So they've beaten up on Florida and Washington...big deal.

They're also 4-7 against the two best in the West. So that's a combined 12-21 against probably the five best teams in the NL.

They beat bad teams; they've been unable to beat the good ones. So how does that make them the favorites in the playoffs?

Oops, I mixed the East and West columns.

Viva Medias B's
08-20-2007, 07:39 AM
You could say it's salt on an open wound.

MCHSoxFan
08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
The Cubs are 63-59. They have the sixth-best record in the NL.

If they get in, of course anything can happen. But they certainly are not one of the favorites. There are three clubs in the NL East that are superior to the Cubs. The Padres will be a tough out if they get in because they have Peavy and Chris Young. No team in the NL can match that in a short series.

I think the Cubs fans and the Cub-loving media are getting inside your head. This is a mediocre Cub team. They might be good enough to win that weak division, but there's nothing special about them.

Agreed.

Foulke You
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Huh? They are barely in first place in the worst division in the weakest league of baseball and you have them penciled in to win the Pennant and possibly knock off an AL powerhouse like Anaheim or Boston?

The Cubs look like 1st round fodder to me if they do manage to win this sad division.

The Immigrant
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
You could say it's salt on an open wound.

Indeed.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:P9mTJLnGWtBM6M:http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/actor/tony_sirico.jpg (http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/actor/tony_sirico.jpg)

"You can give 2007 back to the Indians."

The Immigrant
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Huh? They are barely in first place in the worst division in the weakest league of baseball and you have them penciled in to win the Pennant and possibly knock of an AL powerhouse like Anaheim or Boston?

The Cubs look like 1st round fodder to me if they do manage to win this sad division.

Your post would make perfect sense if not for the 2006 Cardinals.

SOXPHILE
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
The (Cub lovin') media and Cub fans never cease to amaze me. Sure, they're in first place by 1 game at the moment, in an incredibly BAD division. But, looking back over the last couple of weeks, the Cubs have done the following:

-Went 3-4 on their previous homestand against the Phillies and Mets

-Went on the road, and got swept by the Astros, and split 2-2 with the Rockies, for a 2-5 road trip.

-Have come home, and lost the first two games against the Reds, before salvaging the final game of the series, and taken the first two against the Cardinals. 3-2 on this home stand so far.

That would be an 8-11 record over the last 19 games, through yesterdays' rainout. During this time, they have had two 4 game losing streaks. While this was transpiring, the media were ringing their hands, wondering if they were done, what was going to happen, if Ramirez goes down in addition to Soriano, the whole thing would collapse, etc.

Now, they have a nice lil' 3 game win streak, and all is well, print the World Series tickets. Phil Rogers in the Tribune is beginning to wonder where they will open the playoffs at. Friday, Boers and Bernstein informed me that the Cardinals latest surge is fake, and Cub fans shouldn't worry, or take anything from it. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to their next 2 or 3 game losing streak. You'll be able to hear the gnashing of teeth from here to the north pole.

Foulke You
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Your post would make perfect sense if not for the 2006 Cardinals.
If injuries didn't decimate the Mets pitching staff in '06, the Cards wouldn't have made it in. The Tigers peeing their pants in the World Series didn't help matters either. Tigers hitters who wore out AL pitching staffs all year suddenly couldn't solve the "dazzling" pitching of Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver. Of course, this is a subject of a different thread but the Cards winning in '06 was the baseball equivalent of a lightning strike at the perfect time. Odds are against it happening again so soon.

mark2olson
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Now, they have a nice lil' 3 game win streak, and all is well, print the World Series tickets. Phil Rogers in the Tribune is beginning to wonder where they will open the playoffs at. Friday, Boers and Bernstein informed me that the Cardinals latest surge is fake, and Cub fans shouldn't worry, or take anything from it. :rolleyes:

The Tribune, of course, has anointed the Northsiders with the moniker red-hot...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070819cubsgamer,1,600402.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Juice16
08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Boers and Bernstein informed me that the Cardinals latest surge is fake, and Cub fans shouldn't worry, or take anything from it

This whole Central Divison pennant race is fake. Three mediocre teams beating bad teams and each other to stay a few games over .500. The Cubs have not won a series against a good team since the Seattle series.

cws05champ
08-20-2007, 06:23 PM
And I love one of the Tribune headlines about the Brewers:

"No White Flag from the Brewers yet"

THEY ARE ONE GAME OUT!!!! Yea, they are going to give up because they are going through tough times and they fall a game behind.

In the White Sox run in 2005 I never remember Chicagosports.com detailing in game highlights/progress of the Sox division opponents on the game day. They have been doing that every day with the Brewers. Unbelievable!

C-Dawg
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
When is Eric Zorn going to write his column about the Cubs' "Toxic Number" (number of games the Cubs must lose to be passed by either Milwaukee or St. Louis)?

I seem to recall reading his sheer DELIGHT as Cleveland appeared to be closing in on the Sox in September of 2005.

South Side Irish
08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Friday, Boers and Bernstein informed me that the Cardinals latest surge is fake, and Cub fans shouldn't worry, or take anything from it. :rolleyes:

It's a trend. It takes Dave Duncan between 2-4 months to get a pitcher to "believe" in his teaching. In '06, once Reyes and Weaver clicked, they lined up with Suppan and Carpenter to roll. Yes, they Tigers crapped, but the Cards had to do some things right to win that series. Like NOT crap themselves, get some basehits to follow the errors, and have great pitching. The bull**** that people throw out about that Cards team being lucky are just ignorant. The Cards team that won the WS had not been fielded since APRIL of that year, due to the loads of injuries. The fact that they stayed at .500 all year is ordinary, and where luck came in is what division they play in. That was pure luck to get into the playoffs! However, once they got there, this was a completely different team. People who actually pay attention to baseball should understand this.

It's happening right now with Pineiro, Wells, Looper and Reyes (barely). Wainright is an ace in the making, adjusting to a new role, but he's anchoring a revived staff. It took all freaking year, but Duncan has made lemonade from the lemons that the front office game him (thanks yet again, Bill DeWitt and Co.!). They're not nearly as good as last year, but can make a very serious run. People like B&B shouldn't dismiss them so easily.

If Looper doesn't hang a pitch to Jones, its' a 1 game lead.
If Reyes doesn't do the same to Ward, it's a 1 game lead.
If both don't happen. It's a 3-way tie for 1st place. This is NOT a fake rally by the Cardinals. They're not good, but neither are the Brewers, and the Cubs sure aren't playing like they good team they should be.

soxinem1
08-21-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm not concerned; this is just business as usual. They manage to motivate themselves enough to beat St. Louis but then they'll just get swept by the Pirates. Happens every year.

I'm picking St. Louis this year.

The cubs beat PIT in both 1984 and 2003 to clinch the division.

balke
08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
And I love one of the Tribune headlines about the Brewers:

"No White Flag from the Brewers yet"

THEY ARE ONE GAME OUT!!!! Yea, they are going to give up because they are going through tough times and they fall a game behind.

In the White Sox run in 2005 I never remember Chicagosports.com detailing in game highlights/progress of the Sox division opponents on the game day. They have been doing that every day with the Brewers. Unbelievable!

Hehe, and of course they are tied for the division lead by the end of the St. Louis series. This team has nothing on the 2003 team. This hype over how awesome the team is really bothers me. The Brewers have better pitching, and comparable hitting at this point. I'll take the Brew Crew or the Cards to streak in. Sheets is looking to return soon.

soxfan13
08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Hehe, and of course they are tied for the division lead by the end of the St. Louis series. This team has nothing on the 2003 team. This hype over how awesome the team is really bothers me. The Brewers have better pitching, and comparable hitting at this point. I'll take the Brew Crew or the Cards to streak in. Sheets is looking to return soon.

Why do people keep saying this. They really dont. Especially with Sheets on the DL their starters arent doing a thing. The top three for Milwaukee just went a stretch of 21 starts without a win. You are not going to win a division that way. Their bullpen is doing a nice implosion that is similar to the White Sox. I honestly thought this could be the Brewers year earlier like alot of other people but they are showing their growing pains and seem to be a year or 2 away still.

balke
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Why do people keep saying this. They really dont. Especially with Sheets on the DL their starters arent doing a thing. The top three for Milwaukee just went a stretch of 21 starts without a win. You are not going to win a division that way. Their bullpen is doing a nice implosion that is similar to the White Sox. I honestly thought this could be the Brewers year earlier like alot of other people but they are showing their growing pains and seem to be a year or 2 away still.

I just think the Brewers have good pitchers performing poorly. The Cubs have pitchers that are performing a little better than I think they should be.

That's caught up to them with Marquis, Lilly, and Marshall.

I think Gallardo's last 2 bad starts (previous to yesterday) are flukes, and that Parra will pitch better in September with a little more experience. The Brewers have a majority of the pitching staff pitching below their track history. I just expect that to turn around a bit.

Now that you mention that and I look more closely at the team though, I was counting on Turnbow to turn things around. I didn't see how horrible he was last season, I just remember him from 2 seasons ago. I was mainly looking at the bullpen of Parra, Turnbow, Linebrink, Cordero to shut the door on teams down the stretch. But, they do look much weaker with Turnbow being so horrible. Still, with Sheets coming back, and Braun hitting the way he is, I like the Brewers.

And with the way Ankiel is hitting, and the way Pujols performs, I like the Cards to perhaps sneak in at the end of the season.

soxfan13
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I just think the Brewers have good pitchers performing poorly. The Cubs have pitchers that are performing a little better than I think they should be.

That's caught up to them with Marquis, Lilly, and Marshall.

I think Gallardo's last 2 bad starts (previous to yesterday) are flukes, and that Parra will pitch better in September with a little more experience. The Brewers have a majority of the pitching staff pitching below their track history. I just expect that to turn around a bit.

Now that you mention that and I look more closely at the team though, I was counting on Turnbow to turn things around. I didn't see how horrible he was last season, I just remember him from 2 seasons ago. I was mainly looking at the bullpen of Parra, Turnbow, Linebrink, Cordero to shut the door on teams down the stretch. But, they do look much weaker with Turnbow being so horrible. Still, with Sheets coming back, and Braun hitting the way he is, I like the Brewers.

And with the way Ankiel is hitting, and the way Pujols performs, I like the Cards to perhaps sneak in at the end of the season.

I just think they are young and still have to prove that they can pitch on a consistent basis in the big leagues. Thats why I think they are a year or 2 away. Yes their offense is tremendous but they are now losing games 11-10. Which is never good :tongue:

balke
08-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I just think they are young and still have to prove that they can pitch on a consistent basis in the big leagues. Thats why I think they are a year or 2 away. Yes their offense is tremendous but they are now losing games 11-10. Which is never good :tongue:

Time will tell, I've seen both Gallardo and Parra have great outings and poor outings. They may be too young or the may just streak down the stretch for the Brewers. I still see them tied for 1st, and I wouldn't put either the Cubs or Cards above them right now.

To me its pretty simple, if Sheets is Sheets when he comes back (and by early Sept.) they take the division. If he's not 100% down the stretch, they lose it. But, I still like the Cards to streak through September, I just don't know how long they will do it. I wouldn't be surprised if this division came down to the last game of the season, in a rain-out make-up between the Cubs and Cards.

Jerko
08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
The Brewers have to get Capuano out of that rotation. What are they, 0-16 his last 16 starts? The bullpen has stunk too lately, blowing at least 4 or 5 huge leads. Don't even get me started on their infield defense.......awful. All 3 teams suck IMO but as the Cards showed last year, you just have to get in...... :(:

soxfan13
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Time will tell, I've seen both Gallardo and Parra have great outings and poor outings. They may be too young or the may just streak down the stretch for the Brewers. I still see them tied for 1st, and I wouldn't put either the Cubs or Cards above them right now.

To me its pretty simple, if Sheets is Sheets when he comes back (and by early Sept.) they take the division. If he's not 100% down the stretch, they lose it. But, I still like the Cards to streak through September, I just don't know how long they will do it. I wouldn't be surprised if this division came down to the last game of the season, in a rain-out make-up between the Cubs and Cards.

Agreed I think it is gonna go down to the last weekend of the season. I thought I read that the game is being made up on the 10th of September, both teams have that day off.

PKalltheway
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I really don't know what to make of this. Sure, the NL Central is the worst division in baseball, but all you have to do is get in, and get hot. I don't think the Cubs will even win the division, but if they do get into the playoffs, I won't totally dismiss them as a "one and done" team.

CubKilla
08-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Friday, Boers and Bernstein informed me that the Cardinals latest surge is fake, and Cub fans shouldn't worry, or take anything from it. :rolleyes:

Boers and Bernstein are part of the same media who had the Cubs in the WS in '03 after going up 3-1 in the NLCS since there was no way possible for Prior and Wood to lose games back-to-back.

SOXPHILE
08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Boers and Bernstein are part of the same media who had the Cubs in the WS in '03 after going up 3-1 in the NLCS since there was no way possible for Prior and Wood to lose games back-to-back.

Oh, that's not all they've said the last few years. These are just a few of the gems these two "experts" have laid on us:

-"Cardinals, Astros and the rest of that NL central are going to be looking up the Cubs tailpipe for the foreseeable future" -Terry Boers, following 2003 postseason

-"There is no way the Cardinals are going to continue like this. They will come back to earth, and should be caught by the Cubs" -B & B on the Cardinals hot start (and eventual running away with the NL Central) in 2004

-"Last year was a fluke. There is no way the Cardinals are going to repeat the success they had in 2004. That division is up for grabs, the Cubs should take it" -B & B on the 2005 Cardinals

-"No team with Juan Uribe as it's starting shortstop will EVER win a World Series" - Dan Bernstein on the 2005 White Sox

-"They're doing good now, but wait. You just wait when the postseason starts. Then, they're not playing teams like the Royals, and the Tigers, and the Devil Rays. They're going to be facing teams like the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Angels. Then..then...I think we might have a problem boys and girls, cuz with the pitching those teams have, there's just no way..." -B & B in September of 2005, on the White Sox postseason chances

-"I can't explain it. I just have this feeling of good 'Cubs Karma' right now, and I think they're going to win this year. They're my pick to win the division, cuz it ain't gonna be the Astros or the Cardinals AGAIN kiddies" - Terry Boers at the beginning of 2006 spring training.

soxfan13
08-21-2007, 11:47 AM

As did 99.9 percent of any fans that follow baseball did.

kittle42
08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
As did 99.9 percent of any fans that follow baseball did.

Correct. You would have had to lay some pretty big odds to get me to bet against the Cubs after Game 4.

slavko
08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh, that's not all they've said the last few years. These are just a few of the gems these two "experts" have laid on us:

-"Cardinals, Astros and the rest of that NL central are going to be looking up the Cubs tailpipe for the foreseeable future" -Terry Boers, following 2003 postseason

-"There is no way the Cardinals are going to continue like this. They will come back to earth, and should be caught by the Cubs" -B & B on the Cardinals hot start (and eventual running away with the NL Central) in 2004

-"Last year was a fluke. There is no way the Cardinals are going to repeat the success they had in 2004. That division is up for grabs, the Cubs should take it" -B & B on the 2005 Cardinals

-"No team with Juan Uribe as it's starting shortstop will EVER win a World Series" - Dan Bernstein on the 2005 White Sox

-"They're doing good now, but wait. You just wait when the postseason starts. Then, they're not playing teams like the Royals, and the Tigers, and the Devil Rays. They're going to be facing teams like the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Angels. Then..then...I think we might have a problem boys and girls, cuz with the pitching those teams have, there's just no way..." -B & B in September of 2005, on the White Sox postseason chances

-"I can't explain it. I just have this feeling of good 'Cubs Karma' right now, and I think they're going to win this year. They're my pick to win the division, cuz it ain't gonna be the Astros or the Cardinals AGAIN kiddies" - Terry Boers at the beginning of 2006 spring training.

Great stuff, Soxphile, where do you go to look up things like this?

jdm2662
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Um, why are you people taking the likes of Terry Boars seriously? He knows as much about sports than my unborn cousin. Mike fricking North has more sports knowledge that dope.

spiffie
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Great stuff, Soxphile, where do you go to look up things like this?
http://www.hangarandhistinfoilhat.com

SOXPHILE
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Um, why are you people taking the likes of Terry Boars seriously? He knows as much about sports than my unborn cousin. Mike fricking North has more sports knowledge that dope.

But...what about his "Peeps", who give him all the inside info ? And what about Lil' Danny Bernstein ? He went to Duke, and drinks wine you know !

jabrch
08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Um, why are you people taking the likes of Terry Boars seriously? He knows as much about sports than my unborn cousin.

Why do you say that? He's been covering sports in this town for a long time... Anyone who's job is to be contraversial and always have an opinion will be wrong a lot. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff. Most of this is conjecture and opinion anyhow.

jdm2662
08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Why do you say that? He's been covering sports in this town for a long time... Anyone who's job is to be contraversial and always have an opinion will be wrong a lot. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff. Most of this is conjecture and opinion anyhow.

Anyone that has even listened to him even for a minute can tell he doesn't he follow sports. I don't care about negative opinions. Les Grobstein has opinions I don't always agree with. However, I don't question his sports knowledge because he usually gives an actual reason why he thinks the way he does. When I debate an issue with him, I make sure I come prepared with my facts and reasons. If I don't, I will get burned by him. Hell, I used to despise Hub in the Bears booth as he always came across as a pompus ass know-it-all. However, I actually don't mind him when he has a radio show. When he gives an opinion, he tells us why. He actually does his research and you know, watches the game. Boers just spouts stuff out of his ass because it sounds cool. He generally has no idea what he is talking about, and probably spends more time picking his ass then he does watching the actual game. Danny Boy Bernestein does seem to have a decent sports knowledge. However, since he acts like a major stuck up, pompus ass when he talks, I don't listen to his show. Which is sad because I think he has enough talent to put on a decent radio show. The same goes with Dan McNeil. I think the guy has plenty of talent to put on an entertaining show. However, since he is such an angry blowhard, I stopped lisenting to him as well. God bless satellite radio.

jabrch
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Anyone that has even listened to him even for a minute can tell he doesn't he follow sports. I don't care about negative opinions. Les Grobstein has opinions I don't always agree with. However, I don't question his sports knowledge because he usually gives an actual reason why he thinks the way he does. When I debate an issue with him, I make sure I come prepared with my facts and reasons. If I don't, I will get burned by him. Hell, I used to despise Hub in the Bears booth as he always came across as a pompus ass know-it-all. However, I actually don't mind him when he has a radio show. When he gives an opinion, he tells us why. He actually does his research and you know, watches the game. Boers just spouts stuff out of his ass because it sounds cool. He generally has no idea what he is talking about, and probably spends more time picking his ass then he does watching the actual game. Danny Boy Bernestein does seem to have a decent sports knowledge. However, since he acts like a major stuck up, pompus ass when he talks, I don't listen to his show. Which is sad because I think he has enough talent to put on a decent radio show. The same goes with Dan McNeil. I think the guy has plenty of talent to put on an entertaining show. However, since he is such an angry blowhard, I stopped lisenting to him as well. God bless satellite radio.

I could listen to Boers and Bernstein all day - regardless of if I agree with a word the say. They are both sharp witted, very entertaining, and they don't put up with the masses of ignorance that is the dopes who call into sports radio all the time with their own uninformed opionions.

spiffie
08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I could listen to Boers and Bernstein all day - regardless of if I agree with a word the say. They are both sharp witted, very entertaining, and they don't put up with the masses of ignorance that is the dopes who call into sports radio all the time with their own uninformed opionions.
What exactly makes either Boers or Bernstein any more informed in their opinions? They don't play the games. They don't run teams. They might have access to slightly more information than other people, but doubtful that its significantly more than the average dedicated sports fan. Yes, they can be sharp witted, and they know how to fill air time. But as someone on here who is constantly bemoaning how "dumb" most Sox fans are, and who has made very clear that you don't believe that anyone can be as knowledgeable about a sport as the people playing/coaching/running it, what do they bring to the table beyond the ability to talk for hours without losing their voices and being able to whip off some good zingers when a true raving lunatic calls in?

SBSoxFan
08-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Rick Ankiel is one of the greatest individual baseball stories in recent history. For that reason, I'm rooting for the Cardinals ... for now.

Juice16
08-21-2007, 06:58 PM

They lost my respect after their constant bashing of the 2005 Illinois baskeball team until the championship game. Then of course they both picked Illinois to win. Remember, they had no NBA players on that team. It was so good when all 5 starters where in the NBA at the same time and people would call them out. Anyway, the Central Division is a joke and so is this pennant chase.

Sox
08-21-2007, 07:23 PM

SMO

I knew a Flubs fan in 1984 that was so upset after they lost the division series to the Padres that he claimed he would burn every Cub thing that he owned. Sure would like to know if he is still a Flubs fan still. :rolling:

MCHSoxFan
08-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I knew a Flubs fan in 1984 that was so upset after they lost the division series to the Padres that he claimed he would burn every Cub thing that he owned. Sure would like to know if he is still a Flubs fan still. :rolling:

Hey, don't ya know, the C**s are doing so well! He probably is! :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2007, 09:20 PM
-"They're doing good now, but wait. You just wait when the postseason starts. Then, they're not playing teams like the Royals, and the Tigers, and the Devil Rays. They're going to be facing teams like the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Angels. Then..then...I think we might have a problem boys and girls, cuz with the pitching those teams have, there's just no way..." -B & B in September of 2005, on the White Sox postseason chances.
I liked this one especially. We went through the playoffs like a buzzsaw.

FielderJones
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
As of now, if Milwaukee and San Francisco can hold on to their current leads, the Cubs will be in second at the end of the night.

kittle42
08-21-2007, 11:29 PM
As of now, if Milwaukee and San Francisco can hold on to their current leads, the Cubs will be in second at the end of the night.

So much for that, as Bochy decided to not hit for Lincecum in the 7th with an insurance run on 3rd, and then stuck with him to open the 9th, and the floodgates opened.

JB98
08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
So much for that, as Bochy decided to not hit for Lincecum in the 7th with an insurance run on 3rd, and then stuck with him to open the 9th, and the floodgates opened.

The Giants have a worse record than the Sox. Enough said.

The Brewers are doing a good job against the Diamondbacks. I thought they would get their asses kicked in this series. I was wrong.

Hitmen77
08-22-2007, 10:01 AM

This is one of the things I hate about Cub fans and the Cub-loving media in this town. In 2005, the Sox went wire to wire and won 99 games and the media kept talking like the Sox weren't really that good, were only beating bad teams, were going to be "3 and out" in the playoffs, etc. Most Sox fans I heard from or saw in the press were certainly excited about the team, but were looking for at least a pennant before doing any serious crowing.

Now, we're in 2007 and the Cubs are a few games above .500 running neck and neck with 2 other teams in a very weak division and all these ass-clown Cub fans out there are already shooting their mouths off as if they have already won the pennant. The media, keeping with its pro-Cubs bias, is just gushing about how the "Cubbies" are going all the way.

TDog
08-22-2007, 11:52 AM

The rookie starter couldn't hold the lead in his best pitching performance to date, but there was no alternative to leaving him in as the bullpen was more likely to blow a one-run lead anyway.

The Giants are a typical last-place team. There are times when they come up with big rallies to win games, but mostly, their bullpen, which must lead the world in allowing inherited runners to score, gives up leads in the late innings. The bullpen was overworded this weekend and the team really needed a complete game.

I heard the first three runs score on my way back from class last night. Jon Miller kept referring to the sellout crowd, which seemed to be favoring the Cubs. On my way to class, I heard a promo for the game on the radio. "In Chicago they love their Bulls. (Da Bulls) In Chicago they love their Bears. (Da Bears) In Chicago, when they're not interferring with foul balls in the NLCS, they love their Cubs. (Bad Harry Caray impression describing Bartman incident)"

The Cubs' legacy is too comical to squander with another return to the postseason. They must be stopped.

C-Dawg
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
all these ass-clown Cub fans out there are already shooting their mouths off as if they have already won the pennant.

The knowledgeable Cub fans realize that anything short of Jim Hendry holding the World Series trophy is his hands will be a failure, thanks to the Sox winning it all in 2005.

However, all those Cub fans who became fans in 2003 (and there are a lot of them!) are dancing and celebrating like they've already won the championship! Seriously, I know one guy who became a fan in about September of 2003 who called my voice mail and gloated THREE times in one day a couple weeks ago when they entered first place, albeit briefly. Keep in mind this is the same guy who had no idea who Dusty Baker's predecessor was until I told him, and he later theorized that the Cubs probably would have retired Dusty's number had he not had a sub-par career as a manager.

robertks61
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Will we be reading the headlines "Choke Hold" this year?

RadioheadRocks
08-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Now, we're in 2007 and the Cubs are a few games above .500 running neck and neck with 2 other teams in a very weak division and all these ass-clown Cub fans out there are already shooting their mouths off as if they have already won the pennant. The media, keeping with its pro-Cubs bias, is just gushing about how the "Cubbies" are going all the way.

Let them keep shooting their mouths off... they'll only look that much more stupid when the Cubs inevitably blow it.

Juice16
08-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Let them keep shooting their mouths off... they'll only look that much more stupid when the Cubs inevitably blow it.

Unfortunately the Brewers and Cardinals are blowing it too. The Cubs will go to the playoffs by default. I get to work this morning and I discover that last night, somebody was sending messages to everyone (best way to discribe our system is like Instant Messaging) the score of all three teams, inning by inning. The stereotype is alive and well here at work as the true baseball Cub fans keep quiet while the Cubbie fans are celebrating a World Series birth.

DrCrawdad
08-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately the Brewers and Cardinals are blowing it too. The Cubs will go to the playoffs by default.

You could say that the Brewers are blowing it or perhaps you could say that the Brewers have blown it. Considering the record they had earlier this season I'd say they have blown it.

soxinem1
08-25-2007, 10:17 AM
You could say that the Brewers are blowing it or perhaps you could say that the Brewers have blown it. Considering the record they had earlier this season I'd say they have blown it.

They should have this on the cover for both MIL and STL media guides for 2008:

http://www.sparkdetection.com/images/explosion.jpg