PDA

View Full Version : Dye gets contract extension

esbrechtel
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Possible contract talks with Dye....deal in place? 2 years 22 mil with an option for a third year...
Per Fox Sports....
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7133450

cbrownson13
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I just got a phone call from my dad saying breaking news on ESPN Radio is Sox have signed Jermaine Dye to a 2 year extension.

Forgive me if this is just a rumor and belongs in WTS.

esbrechtel
08-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I just posted this in WTS...
heres a link

tyski224
08-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Bruce Levine just reported the same thing on ESPN 1000.

08-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Confirmed...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7133450?MSNHPHMA

08-18-2007, 01:40 PM
With Dye around for potentially three more years, do think the Sox plan on moving either Thome or Sweeny???

voodoochile
08-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I like it. I think he was injured the first half of this year and that's why he struggled. Since the cortisone shots and the break for the ASG, he seems to be back to form.

Lip Man 1
08-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't think they'd move Sweeney since he's still young and may prove to be good. Thome's a harder question to answer, he's older, been getting hurt and doesn't he have a partial no trade clause?

Lip

champagne030
08-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Possible contract talks with Dye....deal in place? 2 years 22 mil with an option for a third year...
Per Fox Sports....

Is $11M really below market considering the year he's had? I hope they're planning on spending some of the massive profits of the last two seasons to bump up payroll a bit or we're going to be forced to dump salary. Hopefully we won't do a Garland for Gio/Floyd type deal.

SoxxoS
08-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Is $11M really below market considering the year he's had? I hope they're planning on spending some of the massive profits of the last two seasons to bump up payroll a bit or we're going to be forced to dump salary. Hopefully we won't do a Garland for Gio/Floyd type deal.

When Eric Brynes gets 10 million - I will take JD back for 11 per.

aryzner
08-18-2007, 01:51 PM
I like this deal but I also must say that I don't really see how this is "below market value" with the kind of year he has had. What do I know about market value, though. (Nothing, really)

champagne030
08-18-2007, 01:52 PM
When Eric Brynes gets 10 million - I will take JD back for 11 per.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Dye in RF next season much, much more than anyone else within the Sox system. I'm worried that at our current payroll we're going to need to dump some people (a pitcher or two) to create room for the moves that would put us in a position to contend next season.

soxfanreggie
08-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Wasn't really wanting to spend that much, but I guess if we can't upgrade without spending a lot more, then this will have to do. I am just afraid that his production will decline further, but I guess you'll have that with any player.

BainesHOF
08-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Great signing.

I had said we should give Dye $30 over three years, and this is pretty close.

munchman33
08-18-2007, 01:59 PM
They deal is below market value in the years, not the money. Kenny's probably thinking he'd rather have Dye at that price for fewer years than a Fukadome for 5. Time will tell what the better decision was.

Two years from now, Dye is probably the DH. That's likely when Sweeney will get his chance.

delben91
08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
A short term commitment that doesn't break the bank. I'll take it, especially if Jermaine stays healthy for the bulk of those years. A big if, I know.

One less hole to fill this offseason.

JB98
08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
I also like the deal. I still think Jermaine can play. Only two holes to fill in the outfield now, instead of three.

oeo
08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
They deal is below market value in the years, not the money.

How not the money? Just like when Zito signed, it set the bar high for pitchers, when Ichiro and Vernon Wells signed, it set the bar high for outfielders.

Kenny's probably thinking he'd rather have Dye at that price for fewer years than a Fukadome for 5. Time will tell what the better decision was.Fukodome...a 30-year-old, unproven commodity reportedly asking for 13-15 million over 5 years. Sounds like a great deal.

I was against re-signing Dye, but at 11 per, I'll take it.

thedudeabides
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I like it. JD can play the outfield for one more season than move to DH. It's been refreshing to see our key players really want to stay here.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-18-2007, 02:14 PM
This is a good deal. Buy low, sell high. If the Sox would have tried this a year ago they would have had to come up with several million more. Dye, who is a .274 career hitter, is likely to have seasons that fall somewhere between last year and this year's performance.

Plus it's nice to see the World Series MVP remain in a Sox uniform.

Steelrod
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Good for KW. Keeping all the major pieces together. I can see him now trading Garland to get other pieces. I'm already looking forward to a healthy 2008!

oeo
08-18-2007, 02:20 PM
With Dye around for potentially three more years, do think the Sox plan on moving either Thome or Sweeny???

Why would we rid Sweeney?
1)He's young and cheap, and could turn into a star.
2)We still have two outfield positions to fill.

It's Time
08-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Much like this season, this signing does nothing for me.

October26
08-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Happy to hear about the contract extension for Dye - I just hope he can stay healthy ...

Frontman
08-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm not entirely thrilled with this; but if Dye remains in the form he is now, it will turn out well. If he goes back to the first half?

Wasted money.

*shudder.*

I sure hope he can stay on pace, or possibly be moved to the DH if Thome isn't re-upped with the Club.

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2007, 02:32 PM
I've been saying for the right price, I'd re-sign Dye. This is a great deal. Welcome back JD! Now let's give 'em hell in '08!!!

jabrch
08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm thrilled to have Dye back at a reasonable price.

hi im skot
08-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I like this.

Nicely done.

The Immigrant
08-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm thrilled to have Dye back at a reasonable price.

Same here, especially given that we'd have no power in the outfield in his absence. He can take over at DH when Thome's gone.

RockJock07
08-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I think Kenny was looking at the FA's and didn't like what he saw after Ichiro signed his extension. I think Kenny did the right thing with Dye and I fully expect Kenny to keep Erstad around aswell since he can play all OF spots aswell as first base.

So that leaves 2 sports in the OF up for grabs, Owens has the upper hand in CF but there is also this whole move Josh to LF thing (Which I'm not a fan of at all) and also Sweeney doing a solid job at AAA.

Good move, Kenny is slowly getting this club back on track. now a SS......Omar?

kitekrazy
08-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm worried that at our current payroll we're going to need to dump some people (a pitcher or two) to create room for the moves that would put us in a position to contend next season.

They don't have a salary cap in baseball. Free agency is getting even more ridiculous and soon with some of the winning teams a $120M payroll will be the average.

goon
08-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I love this.

Consider what he's done in a White Sox jersey and his performance at US Cellular. People like to point out his first half woes, however, it seemed fairly obvious that he was hurting, in the second half he has been on a tear. I worry about him in the outfield, or rather staying healthy playing RF everygame, but hopefully he gets some time in the DH spot. I really think some have underestimated his importance in this lineup.

kitekrazy
08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Good for KW. Keeping all the major pieces together. I can see him now trading Garland to get other pieces. I'm already looking forward to a healthy 2008!

I don't unless it is really something you can't pass up. Filling a spot in the starting rotation will cost $$$$ in free agency. I don't want to fill that void with Haeger or Floyd when the team is trying to get rid of Contrerras. How is Garland not a major piece?

goon
08-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Whether it be at CF, LF, or SS, the Sox need a reliable leadoff hitter desperately. Castillo has been mentioned, though who knows if Richar could make a move to SS.

soltrain21
08-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Kenny is slowly getting this club back on track. now a SS......Omar?

We need a SS of the future; not a stopgap one. I really wouldn't mind looking at trading if we get a quality, young, fast SS in return.

RockJock07
08-18-2007, 03:09 PM
We need a SS of the future; not a stopgap one. I really wouldn't mind looking at trading if we get a quality, young, fast SS in return.

Sure, so would I, but we could get a prospect like that if KW gives up Garland. I'd rather have Garland and Omar then No Garland and an unknown, rookie at SS.

hose
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm amazed KW got Dye to take a 2 year deal with a mutual (?) option.

Now I've heard of a players option and a team option but who has the upper hand in a mutual option?

Good to see JD staying with the Sox.:bandance:

Grzegorz
08-18-2007, 03:14 PM
If Sweeney is hot in sprint training any chance of Dye moving to LF? I am still concerned about the middle of the lineup; it is slow. The middle does not hit and run it's just station to station.

I'd love to see a new SS but trading a front line starter is dangerous; it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. The potential hole in the front of the rotation will be very hard to fill.

voodoochile
08-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Kenny was looking at the FA's and didn't like what he saw after Ichiro signed his extension. I think Kenny did the right thing with Dye and I fully expect Kenny to keep Erstad around aswell since he can play all OF spots aswell as first base.

So that leaves 2 sports in the OF up for grabs, Owens has the upper hand in CF but there is also this whole move Josh to LF thing (Which I'm not a fan of at all) and also Sweeney doing a solid job at AAA.

Why not ask Crede to consider a move to LF? Yes, he is a better defensive 3B than Fields, but he's also got major back issues. He'd take less of a pounding in LF than he does at 3B I would think.

hose
08-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm amazed KW got Dye to take a 2 year deal with a mutual (?) option.

Now I've heard of a players option and a team option but who has the upper hand in a mutual option?

Good to see JD staying with the Sox.:bandance:

Just seen this:

The mutual option is $12 million for 2010, with a $1 million buyout.

RowanDye
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Why not ask Crede to consider a move to LF? Yes, he is a better defensive 3B than Fields, but he's also got major back issues. He'd take less of a pounding in LF than he does at 3B I would think.

Sounds good if he can play it, but is it worth to him or to the Sox? He might not be around after '08 anyways. So him in LF and Fields at 3rd may be weakening 2 defensive spots.

Tragg
08-18-2007, 03:26 PM
That's a humongeous contract for Dye.
I'd like to see him move to left, and have a young CF and RF. (particularly CF).
Let him play DH against lefties to keep him fresh (which would necessitate a real bench player to play left once in a while).

I don't know who we'd move. I'd be shocked to move Sweeney (why even consider that?), but then again, why isn't he up now; and, again today, Ozzie's grousing about young players in the paper (and nothing to say about the veterans, including his new additions, who perform absolutely woefully game after game).

Dye can also take pitches and work counts. He did when we batted him 3rd late in 2005 when we rested players. But when he bats 5th, he's more aggressive (I guess he figures if he doesn't bat them in, it's left up to inferior hitters, so he better try). He's a pretty versatile hitter. I'm glad he's back, but we still need a couple of young hitters, including at least 1 really good outfielder.

Tragg
08-18-2007, 03:28 PM
We need a young fast CF that can hit, as well.
We can't stopgap that for another year.

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2007, 03:29 PM

I think this is true. Who would really be available (and affordable) to get in the off-season that would put up Dye-like or respectable numbers, not to mention put on a showing out there with his glove? In addition, this gives Ryan Sweeney more time to work on his swing and he doesn't have to feel pressured to make the club next Spring Training.

I like this move and it's one less thing Kenny has to worry about in the off-season. As long as J.D. stays healthy, the Sox will definitely come out on top with this signing. :thumbsup:

veeter
08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I like it. He's a veteran which we need because of so many young players on the team. All I want is the guy who was majorly clutch, like he was with Oakland and us in 2005. Anything resembling 2006 is a bonus.

veeter
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
With Dye around for potentially three more years, do think the Sox plan on moving either Thome or Sweeny???I hope this is a sign Thome's on his way out. Sweeney, no way.

thomas35forever
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a decent contract for a player of his age and talent. Glad to know he's ours for a while longer.

Soxfest
08-18-2007, 03:41 PM
KW says no in season contract talks but yet signs MB and JD in season. I do not believe ANYTHING that KW says about anything anymore.

AJ Hellraiser
08-18-2007, 03:42 PM
I hope this is a sign Thome's on his way out. Sweeney, no way.

I couldn't agree more.... Oakland, Anahiem and maybe even Baltimore might have interest....

Daver
08-18-2007, 03:43 PM

I still can't comprehend why anyone would want a third baseman playing left field. The last time the Sox did this it took El Vaco two seasons to figure out that if he stood on the warning track it wouldn't get hit over his head.

JermaineDye05
does the contract require him to wear his socks high? I should certainly hope so.

AJ Hellraiser
KW says no in season contract talks but yet signs MB and JD in season. I do not believe ANYTHING that KW says about anything anymore.

If you listen and read closely, KW has always said he will not talk about contracts in season UNLESS the player and his agent approaches him.. he WILL NOT initiate conversation...

Buehrle and his agent as well as Dye and his agent obviously both initiated the contracts

Steelrod
08-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't unless it is really something you can't pass up. Filling a spot in the starting rotation will cost $$$$ in free agency. I don't want to fill that void with Haeger or Floyd when the team is trying to get rid of Contrerras. How is Garland not a major piece?
He is a major piece, but his demands just went up a lot considering Zambrano. His greatest value to us MAY be a trade, since Sox budget tends to have limits.

MCHSoxFan
08-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Just wondering, Ryan can play CF? I know he can play corner OF, but can he play CF?

Hitmen77
08-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm glad to see that Dye is staying. Hopefully he can return to something closer to his 2005-06 level of play next year. Signing Dye doesn't sound like the team is just looking to go into "rebuilding" mode next year.

Someone on this site has occassionally posted a spreadsheet showing the Sox committed payroll. Does anyone have an update of this for '08 now that Dye will be making $9.5 million for us next year?

It'll be interesting to see how the Sox fix their remaining holes this offseason. I hope they still pursue a veteran, quality CF this winter (Cameron or Rowand). I'd be happy with Dye, that new CF, and have Sweeney/Owens compete for LF.

I think our biggest problem is SS. Uribe is just terrible and his defense has really fallen off. But, the Sox are in a tough spot because there aren't really that many good replacements out there who are available.

kitekrazy
08-18-2007, 04:00 PM
He is a major piece, but his demands just went up a lot considering Zambrano. His greatest value to us MAY be a trade, since Sox budget tends to have limits.

Garland's greatest trade value was after 2005. Not so now that a good trade now involves getting him to a contract. It could be that Garland is a flash in the pan. This season reflects most of his career.

hose
08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I hope Kenny has more spending money in the kitty. I sure as heck don't want to see this guy consulting Williams on maintaing a budget.:o:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:2YJBwkP9JMj-dM:http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/imagesDocuments/31068.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/imagesDocuments/31068.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.radio-canada.ca/radio/emissions/document.asp%3Fdocnumero%3D32433%26numero%3D26&h=125&w=125&sz=4&hl=en&start=84&um=1&tbnid=2YJBwkP9JMj-dM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlarry%2Bwinget%26start%3D80%26ndsp%3D 20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

kitekrazy
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I think our biggest problem is SS. Uribe is just terrible and his defense has really fallen off. But, the Sox are in a tough spot because there aren't really that many good replacements out there who are available.

I guess there is no answer in the minors.

southside rocks
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
This is good news; Dye is a classy guy and an excellent ballplayer. I'm glad he's going to be around for the next couple of years.

Tragg
08-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Interesting idea, but, then, why bother? He's not that great of a hitter anyway.
His plus factor is his 3b defense.

Fields could become a real hitter.
All I ask is don't give him the Bonilla treatment.

voodoochile
08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I still can't comprehend why anyone would want a third baseman playing left field. The last time the Sox did this it took El Vaco two seasons to figure out that if he stood on the warning track it wouldn't get hit over his head.

Traditionally a lot of infielders have moved to OF slots as they have aged. It happens less these days as players can make the switch to DH if they have a good enough bat to keep around, but it was pretty common back in the day.

If the Sox want to get both their bats in the lineup and actually see if Crede is healthy enough to play long term/act as trade bait, then one of them needs to move to the OF. They are both good enough defenders where they should be able to make the switch without too many problems, unlike Carlos who really should be playing 1B or DH exclusively.

voodoochile
08-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Interesting idea, but, then, why bother? He's not that great of a hitter anyway.

.270/25/85 is pretty decent production. It would make the Sox OF defense worse though, no question. Owens would get exhausted with the ground he would have to cover between Dye and Crede no question.

It may come down to costs too. Crede is already signed. Fields is a serf who doesn't deserve to be sent back to AAA. If Fields is the long term answer at 3B because of Crede's cost/back issues then Fields should be allowed to mature at the position he will end up playing for the next several years. What you do with Crede becomes the question. The Sox would definitely be selling low if they traded Crede this off season while questions about his back remain. Of course KW may just view it as a salary dump and expect to put Sweeney/Anderson in the OF next season along with Dye and Owens.

Any money left to be spent is going to SS at this point in the game unless they can move both Contreras and Crede in which case they should probably sign another veteran pitcher.

Dye's contract to me shows a mentality that the Sox are still in an open window of championship contention - I agree with that assessment. After two years Dye, Thome, Contreras and Pierzynski are probably all gone. The Sox are in the process of developing some players to take their slots but with the window open now the question is how do the Sox maximize their bang for the buck when they don't have many extra bucks to throw around.

TomBradley72
08-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Fields/Rowand/Dye with Owens/Sweeney proving LH "balance" for our 2008 outfield.

Crede/TBD/Richar/Konerko/Pierzynsksi for the IF.

JermaineDye05
08-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Fields/Rowand/Dye with Owens/Sweeney proving LH "balance" for our 2008 outfield.

TBD= A-ROD?!?!?! or Furcal?!?!

Brian26
08-18-2007, 04:29 PM

I like the concept. Here's the $10-11 million dollar question:

How do you turn Jose Contreras into a solid shortstop with lots of speed who can leadoff for us?

Tragg
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
.270/25/85 is pretty decent production. It would make the Sox OF defense worse though, no question. Owens would get exhausted with the ground he would have to cover between Dye and Crede no question.
It's decent, but it's pretty average for an outfielder too. I always use him as an example, but that's Jock Jones production. It's okay, but you need some real quality to surround it.

And if we're really serious about contending next year, you can't have Owens and Crede in the outfield - perhaps they can platoon in left or something - that might work. Who leads off? Owens' obp is below .300 - we're out of it now, so okay....but you can't have that and say you're a contender. Pods was solid - but just solid - with a .350 OBP.

Brian26
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM

To be fair, he said that before the season. Several things happened this year that were completely unexpected. Smart leaders adapt to the circumstances, and he obviously changed his mind.

TDog
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM

When I was a kid, it was common for left fielders to play first base and first basemen to play left field. On baseball cards, it was common to see positions listed as 1B-OF. Carlos Lee was a butcher at third base, and was moved to left field where, according to reports I've heard, he wasn't as bad defensively. Chuck Tanner moved Carlos May from left field to first when he came to manage the Sox. At one time, the Sox tried Joe Crede in left field, but his depth-of-field problems made it a problem for him to judge fly balls. He developed into a much better third basemen than Carlos Lee ever would have.

I'm quite happy to read about Dye signing with the Sox for at least two more years. I think he's a classy ballplayer.

Brian26
08-18-2007, 04:33 PM

:hawk
"You know, that's not a bad idea. I remember when Alvin Dark suggested that..."

:pudge
"Don't even start."

cwsfannick
08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I am certainly glad to see Dye back in the fold for another couple years. As most other posters have mentioned that this is one less hole that KW will have to fill this offseason.

Brian26
08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Years from now when people look back on the '05 team, what's going to be just as amazing as their wire-to-wire run and complete post-season dominance will be how cheaply Kenny was able to construct that team.

Zisk77
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I think Josh plays left field next year. Then Thome retires or goes elswhere when his contract is over. Konerko becomes DH. Fields become 1b of the future, but can spell Crede at 3b to give him a rest.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't think they'd move Sweeney since he's still young and may prove to be good. Thome's a harder question to answer, he's older, been getting hurt and doesn't he have a partial no trade clause?

Lip
I hope we get a nice look at Sweeney when it's time for the September call-ups to join the team. It would be decent to have him as our back-up outfielder next year if he proves himself before this season's end.

I like the Dye signing. He likes it here and is an above-average RF when he's at his best.

voodoochile
08-18-2007, 04:52 PM
I hope we get a nice look at Sweeney when it's time for the September call-ups to join the team. It would be decent to have him as our back-up outfielder next year if he proves himself before this season's end.

I like the Dye signing. He likes it here and is an above-average RF when he's at his best.

If Sweeney isn't going to get regular PT, it would be a mistake to have him on the team next year. He needs to play until it is certain he either is or is not Major League caliber. Bringing him up to sit him on the bench would be a disservice to both him and the Sox long term.

getonbckthr
08-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Ideally I think this team is set-up nice right now for 08. Positions covered in my eyes: DH, 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, C. This is of course assuming Crede comes back healthy and Fields takes left. Leaving CF and SS. So options that are there. Giving an absurd amount of money to Jones, Hunter, Rowand or Cameron to play CF then find someone to play SS and leadoff, Owens starts in CF and swing a deal for Tejada, or finally trade for Carl Crawford to leadoff and play CF (this by the way is Steve Stone's guess he made on the Mike Murphy Show " Miss a Little Miss alot") and find a SS. I would be content if we can do a Contreras for Furcal deal then lead him off with Crawford batting 2nd. However will the dodgers do that.
As far as Jim Thome goes we are paying 9 million as a lefty power hitter. Lets say we trade Thome who are gonna get to supply lefty power? Bonds or Giambi are the only 2 names I can think of and we won't get them for 9 million.

StillMissOzzie
08-18-2007, 05:09 PM
I likie this extension, as long as the 2008 JD is closer to the 2005-06, 2nd half of 2007, and recovered from whatever hampered him in the first half of 2007. As for DH's, here's how I see it:

2008 - Thome
2009 - JD
2010 - PK

SMO
:gulp:

Hendu
08-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I like it. 2 years, so it won't tie us up long-term. Kenny's also probably hoping that in a couple years, a little sanity will return to the free agent market after the recent contracts start hurting some teams.

It's also one less major hole we have to worry about this off-season.

balke
08-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Without Dye there's no power RFer on the team. And you gotta remember he had 120 RBI and 44 HR's last season, and if the Sox would've made the playoffs he may have been MVP.

Great signing, relatively inexpensive. It leaves the door open for the Sox to make a big signing in the offseason and become a power in 08'.

areilly
08-18-2007, 05:21 PM
JD's a great guy, and I really do appreciate all he's done for this team. Still, it's hard not to think the Sox overpaid for the next two years of his services.

Then again, I'm pretty pessimistic and think the Sox are already a loooong way from being better in 2008, and that the $9.5mil could've been better spent on . . . whatever. It doesn't matter what I think. Hopefully Kenny W's moves from June onward can make up for the ones he did (and did not) make since June of last year.

getonbckthr
08-18-2007, 06:08 PM
A month ago I woulda thought they overpaid for JD but after what Byrnes got and what Rowand can demand since he is Eric Byrnes east coast equilavent this is a steal.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
A month ago I woulda thought they overpaid for JD but after what Byrnes got and what Rowand can demand since he is Eric Byrnes east coast equilavent this is a steal.
The key word there is "can." I truly believe we could get a discount for him. It would be awesome for the Three Musketeers to be re-united. I'd be in full support of getting #33 back in a Sox uniform.

oeo
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
The key word there is "can." I truly believe we could get a discount for him. It would be awesome for the Three Musketeers to be re-united. I'd be in full support of getting #33 back in a Sox uniform.

Three Stooges.

I'm starting to think Crede won't be back next year, anyway.

JB98
08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Three Stooges.

I'm starting to think Crede won't be back next year, anyway.

Yeah, that's the main thing that crosses my mind everytime I hear that Rowand would take a little less to come back to the Sox. Joe Crede is one of Aaron's best friends. If Joe isn't here, would Aaron be that excited about returning to the Sox?

DaveIsHere
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Didnt see a thread so here goes..

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070818&content_id=2156095&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Another possible frontline free agent officially moved off the open market on Saturday, when Jermaine Dye agreed to a two-year, $22 million extension with the White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
With Dye inked, reloading could be less of a chore than we originally thought.

Just do the Contreras for Furcal swap, sign Rowand and put Owens in LF.

A lineup of Furcal, Richar, Thome, PK, JD, AJ, Fields, Rowand and Owens has great speed at the top and bottom and excellent power 3-7. Richar seems to have the plate discipline to bat second, but he and Rowand could swap spots, too.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2007, 07:41 PM
It is four below your thread.

:redneck

DaveIsHere
08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
It is four below your thread.

:redneck

:whiner:I am officially Blind, I stared all over, but did not use the search feature........Dagummit!!!

Lukin13
08-18-2007, 07:56 PM
$5 says JD's "market value" would be 4 years 40 million....

this signing is a steal!

If you watch this team every night you want change in '08; but at this price I am very glad that there won't be a change in RF.

Stupid idea of the day:
Since you guys are putting Crede in LF, who thinks he could be a sure-handed SS??? I know his 2nd-102nd steps are sloth-like but.... How slow is his first step?

Obv. he won't have Uribe's range, but there is a certain minor league manager that moronic relatives of mine used to say was the "greatest defensive second baseman every" that had average range.....

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 08:38 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox tried Fields at SS if Crede does come back strong. He may actually develop some SB prowess. He seems pretty quick on his feet. The more experience he gets, the better he should become.

Williams has never jumped out and grabbed any All-Star type middle INF since being GM, and market conditions may force him to seek other solutions. Alomar was the only one close, but he was way past his prime when he came here.

And I wouldn't be so suspect of Fields' defense. Crede and Ventura had the same question marks as they were coming to the majors.

Jjav829
08-18-2007, 09:17 PM
But I thought it was going to take a 5 year deal worth $15 million annually to sign JD because KW blew his chance to sign him earlier?

I like the deal. It's one less hole we need to fill this offseason. And JD should still have a few quality offensive years left. Obviously we're not getting the 2006 JD again, but we shouldn't see the early-2007 JD either.

JB98
08-18-2007, 09:21 PM
But I thought it was going to take a 5 year deal worth $15 million annually to sign JD because KW blew his chance to sign him earlier?

I like the deal. It's one less hole we need to fill this offseason. And JD should still have a few quality offensive years left. Obviously we're not getting the 2006 JD again, but we shouldn't see the early-2007 JD either.

I'll take the 2005 JD. If we get that, this is a great signing.

Brian26
08-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox tried Fields at SS if Crede does come back strong.

Fields appears to be a great athlete, but he doesn't have the range or the skills to play shortstop.

Domeshot17
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
This is a great signing. Good value, and its one less hole to fill. Not a whole hell of a lot more to say, good job KW. Now trade Contreras.

GlassSox
08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
This is a good deal and I'm glad JD will be back. Now he needs to forget the 1st half of 07.

Oh yea, dump Uribe.

Palehose Pete
08-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi JD! :gulp:

This is a smart move, KW and JD. Everyone wins.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2007, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox tried Fields at SS if Crede does come back strong.
Fields needs to prove that he can be a solid 3B (which he's nowhere near being right now) before moving him to SS.

JB98
08-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Fields needs to prove that he can be a solid 3B (which he's nowhere near being right now) before moving him to SS.

Yes. After tonight's defensive display, thoughts of moving Fields to SS have been totally discredited. I never would have entertained the idea in the first place, but anyone with that thought should watch the tape of this evening's proceedings.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Yes. After tonight's defensive display, thoughts of moving Fields to SS have been totally discredited. I never would have entertained the idea in the first place, but anyone with that thought should watch the tape of this evening's proceedings.
As well as many other "moments" from this season. Two things I've noticed that he has the most trouble with:

1. Those balls hit right near the baseline. It seems he has a pact with the cleaners where, if he keeps his uniform clean all season long, they'll send the Sox a bonus for his contract. He has great difficulties in reading those hits, and then you've got a runner on second immediately that should've either been out or held to a single (on deep infield grounders for the faster baserunners).

2. Balls that are hit just several inches above him. He shows great effort in trying to jump for them, but a bunch of them seem to deflect off his glove and end up either right in front of him or in shallow LF.

mrwag
08-19-2007, 10:06 AM
As much as I like Dye, I can't help but wondering if that money wouldn't be better spent on the bullpen. I mean seriously, I love what JD did for us in 2005 and 2006, but is he doing anything that a Sweeny or an Anderson couldn't do in RF?

oeo
08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
As much as I like Dye, I can't help but wondering if that money wouldn't be better spent on the bullpen. I mean seriously, I love what JD did for us in 2005 and 2006, but is he doing anything that a Sweeny or an Anderson couldn't do in RF?

In a word: yes.

And...we still have two outfield spots open.

nlentz88
08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
In a word: yes.

And...we still have two outfield spots open.

Yup. The first thing I thought about when I heard about Dye's new contract was, "Cool. Now go get Torii Hunter."

getonbckthr
08-19-2007, 12:27 PM

With Dye inked, reloading could be less of a chore than we originally thought.

Just do the Contreras for Furcal swap, sign Rowand and put Owens in LF.

A lineup of Furcal, Richar, Thome, PK, JD, AJ, Fields, Rowand and Owens has great speed at the top and bottom and excellent power 3-7. Richar seems to have the plate discipline to bat second, but he and Rowand could swap spots, too.
Just say no.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2007, 03:29 PM
They just dumped some good salary in Iguchi and Mackowiak! I think that helped them be able to afford Dye's new contract. They still have cash to bulk up the bullpen.

Brian26
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM

Assembling a good bullpen is always a roll of the dice. It's much harder to go out and buy a bullpen like you can buy a SP or a CF.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Just say no.

Hey, I'm not one of the Rowand apologists on here. I do think he's a decent complimentary piece is he's not asked to do too much and if he's not overpaid.

If the Sox can get Furcal to lead off, and Owens to bat ninth and play LF, then Rowand is a decent option as a #2 or #8 hitter. He's not a Gold Glove defensive CF, but he's good enough that he won't hurt the team.

getonbckthr
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey, I'm not one of the Rowand apologists on here. I do think he's a decent complimentary piece is he's not asked to do too much and if he's not overpaid.

If the Sox can get Furcal to lead off, and Owens to bat ninth and play LF, then Rowand is a decent option as a #2 or #8 hitter. He's not a Gold Glove defensive CF, but he's good enough that he won't hurt the team.
At 10-12 million a year ya he is hurting the team.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Assembling a good bullpen is always a roll of the dice. It's much harder to go out and buy a bullpen like you can buy a SP or a CF.

You're exactly right. Going into a season counting on the bullpen to be the "strength" of the team is a huge crapshoot.

GMs and managers who say that the bullpen is the strength of the team are covering for the fact that their starting rotations and lineups are weak.

That's why it's important to make sure the rotation and the lineup are set, and try to do the best one can in assembling a bullpen. If it works, you're a contender. If it sucks, you're not.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2007, 04:42 PM
At 10-12 million a year ya he is hurting the team.

I've never advocated paying Rowand that much money.

getonbckthr
08-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I've never advocated paying Rowand that much money.
But to sign him you will have to. Byrnes getting 10 per destroyed any chance of Rowand coming here and for that I thank the Arizona Diamondbacks, they are most definately my hero.