PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Professionalism

FedEx227
08-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Earlier today my mom realized our sink was plugged up so naturally instead of live without a sink for days she called a plumber.

ARS Rescue Rooter was the company, what happened from there was a complete joke.

My mom and the plumber are making small talk to the point where my mom says, "So are you into sports?"

He replied, "OH yeah, ready for a Cubbies World Series"

To which my mom (Sox fan) said absolutely nothing.

He then goes, "Oh don't tell me your one of those ghetto ones, fan of the Ghetto crap on the South Side."

And it didn't end there, jab after jab the entire time hes working. My mom would ask him, "So wheres the leak coming from?" He would reply "Jeez, Sox fans have no patience, just like you give up on your team." Even stuff like my mom saying "So whats all that water down there." To which he replied "Wow, you guys are dumber then you look. It's called a leak, don't Sox fans know what a leak is."

This went on for almost 2 hours. The usual "attendance" your place is a ghetto. Even things like "no point in watching the Sox you know they're going to lose, just like last year"... yeah knucklehead they didn't win 90 games.

During one point at the beginning of the job, my mom tried working out a price (this was before he knew we were a Sox fan), anyway she got what she wanted, etc. Later in the job, when he found out she was a Sox fan went "Jeez, if I had known you were a Sox fan I wouldn't have given you a dollar off".

God only knows if this job was done correctly, what was done... my mom was almost shaking through pure anger.

To make matters worse he wrote Go Cubs on one side of the recipet, then Cubs Rule Sox Drule (sic). Yes he said Drule, he was a smart one.

What a ****ing joke, I'm upset now even as I type this. This bordered on pure harassment and who knows if it played any part in how the job was done.

Obviously, we're going to call the company now and tell them what happened, but I'd suggest you guys be careful dealing with ARS Rescue Rooter, if guys like this are working for them.

hose
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
The only upside to this is it sounds like Woo Woo has a job and is off the dole.

MsSoxVixen22
08-17-2007, 05:30 PM
What a complete and utter jag! Sorry you both had to go thru that. Honestly, though what do expect from a Cub fan? I would call the plumbing company and report his behavior to the owner. That type of behavior is unexceptable

tebman
08-17-2007, 05:34 PM
The only upside to this is it sounds like Woo Woo has a job and is off the dole.

:rolling:

Seriously though, what a weasel. Maybe a one-off, good-natured joke about being a Cub fan wouldn't have been a problem, but what's described here is borderline abuse.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Also make sure you keep the stuff that he wrote comments on as evidence.

Otherwise it's your word against his.

Lip

FedEx227
08-17-2007, 05:35 PM
What a complete and utter jag! Sorry you both had to go thru that. Honestly, though what do expect from a Cub fan? I would call the plumbing company and report his behavior to the owner. That type of behavior is unexceptable

Only thing is this guy was THAT nuts, to the point where I'd be afraid to call him company and get him fired because he knows our address, but I'm doing it anyway because thats completely unacceptable.

EMel9281
08-17-2007, 05:44 PM
That absolutely deserves a complaint. Like someone mentioned, one thing about being a Sox fan, okay. But, for him to call your mom "dumb," especially, that's way over the line.

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
I have no problem if the guy said "Are you guys Cubs fans or Sox fans?" And your mom said Sox fans he said "Ok, this will cost $5,000." but he went waaay out of line. If it were me I would have said "Ok, you can leave now. You're not getting paid." That went beyond good fun to the point of insulting.

Cellview22
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow! Sorry you guys had to deal with that harassment.

What's up with Cubs fans being so abusive and angry toward Sox fans, especially this year? Just the other day, a girl in our office went off on the Sox fans in our department. She had so much rage, she just couldn't help herself. Inevitably other Cubs fans joined in, all the stereotypical moronic crap was rehashed like "what's the attendance like at Sox games right now?" to "Who's in first and are the Sox in last place yet?". She also called me a bandwagoner.. "all you guys are bandwagoners". Her face was getting red; she was legitimately pissed off.

I've been wearing my Sox hat a lot more recently, and whenever someone walks by wearing their Cubs shirts, they make some ridiculous comment or give me a dirty look. I don't understand why some people get worked up over seeing Sox fans. It's like they have this delusional idea that everyone in and around Chicago is worshipping the Cubbies, and when they see me, that idea is shattered.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmm, I heard Daver was working in Downers Grove today.

:redneck

voodoochile
08-17-2007, 06:30 PM

What's up with Cubs fans being so abusive and angry toward Sox fans, especially this year? Just the other day, a girl in our office went off on the Sox fans in our department. She had so much rage, she just couldn't help herself. Inevitably other Cubs fans joined in, all the stereotypical moronic crap was rehashed like "what's the attendance like at Sox games right now?" to "Who's in first and are the Sox in last place yet?". She also called me a bandwagoner.. "all you guys are bandwagoners". Her face was getting red; she was legitimately pissed off.

I've been wearing my Sox hat a lot more recently, and whenever someone walks by wearing their Cubs shirts, they make some ridiculous comment or give me a dirty look. I don't understand why some people get worked up over seeing Sox fans. It's like they have this delusional idea that everyone in and around Chicago is worshipping the Cubbies, and when they see me, that idea is shattered.

Tension is high. It's August and the flubbies are looking once again more like pretenders than contenders. Next season starts number 100 without a title and the fans know how much grief they are going to get if the streak hits triple digits especially with the Sox having recently broken their own streak.

Call it jealousy, call it frustration, call it getting sold a bill of goods for all of their lifetimes. It works out the same.

Mercy!
08-17-2007, 07:00 PM
That's why god created these little digital voice recorders:http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Rz8cPNCXL._SS500_.jpg
I always have mine available inconspicuously in these sorts of situations just to make sure I, um, don't misunderstand what someone might be saying and have a record for later.

thomas35forever
08-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Geez, why doesn't that guy just do his job and answer whatever questions the customer has? In the words of the DHL commercial, whatever happened to customer service? Have your mom call the company and complain. He should get fired if he does anything like this again.

DumpJerry
08-17-2007, 07:44 PM
You shoulda called Daver for a referral.

I would have thrown a live wire in his work zone. Right in that little pool of water......

MarySwiss
08-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Times like this I'm glad I don't live in Chicago anymore. You guys have my sympathy.

All I can suggest is that you throw out the ol' "You guys had 2003; we had 2005. I'll take 2005" argument.

DumpJerry
08-17-2007, 08:11 PM
The line that has worked 100% of the time with me is "Since 2005, the bar has been raised. Merely making the playoffs will not impress me. When you're holding the Trophy over your head after a four game World Series sweep, I will acknowledge the accomplishment."

Used it on friends and strangers and it shuts them up every time.

I leave out the wire-to-wire stuff because I want to be fair.

MarySwiss
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
The line that has worked 100% of the time with me is "Since 2005, the bar has been raised. Merely making the playoffs will not impress me. When you're holding the Trophy over your head after a four game World Series sweep, I will acknowledge the accomplishment."

However, if by some horrible trick of fate the Cubs did win the Series in a four-game sweep, I think that would justify the "ah, but you didn't go wire-to-wire" line.

DumpJerry
08-17-2007, 08:23 PM
However, if by some horrible trick of fate the Cubs did win the Series in a four-game sweep, I think that would justify the "ah, but you didn't go wire-to-wire" line.
Uh Mary.....I did not see any stories in the news today about flying pigs in Arizona. I would not worry about the Cubs sweeping an AL team in the World Series this year or any year before Jupiter and Mars collide.:cool:

MarySwiss
08-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Uh Mary.....I did not see any stories in the news today about flying pigs in Arizona. I would not worry about the Cubs sweeping an AL team in the World Series this year or any year before Jupiter and Mars collide.:cool:

Well, ever since the Cardinals won last year in what was surely an accident...I am somewhat paranoid. Granted, the only way the Cubs could win the WS is through some sort of accident, I remain ever-alert.

HOWever, I'm still hoping the D'Backs sweep those clowns next weekend. I tried to talk the Mr into getting tickets* so I could wear my D'Backs WS Champs T-shirt and my Sox WS Champs hat, but we decided that, in the interest of marital harmony, we should probably skip it.

*EDIT: to clarify: although I am perfectly capable of ordering D'Back tickets on my own, the Mr. works for a company that buys blocks of tickets and offers them to employees. So, why not take advantage?

bryPt
08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
odds are this moron is not on Angie's list.

Is he the owner of the company? If not, the owner should know. Get his arse fired. The first crack would have caused me to go off on him, and if he kept it up, he would be out of the house flat on his face.

I wonder if he works at Soukup's in Glen Ellyn?

On another note, does anyone shop at Whole Foods anymore? The official grocery store of the cub as their window stickers say? Sorry, I am done buying 9 dollar mango salsa from that place.

Frontman
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
You know, when I heard the stories from all the Flubbie faithful about how we are so nasty, that we're "ghetto," that we're "rude/obnoxious/racist/whatever," then to read this type of garbage?

All sports teams have rude fans. Period.

But to the Cubbie faithful, I point out that the Sox have won a series in my son's lifetime, which he is five. In the three generations of my family's lifetime here in Chicago? ZERO Cubs championships.

Like that soundbyte that *shudder* Mike Murphy always plays of "And Ed Lynch is STILL on the Cubs payroll," I would love to hear a "And the Cubs are STILL in second place."

MarySwiss
08-17-2007, 09:35 PM
You know, when I heard the stories from all the Flubbie faithful about how we are so nasty, that we're "ghetto," that we're "rude/obnoxious/racist/whatever," then to read this type of garbage?

All sports teams have rude fans. Period.

But to the Cubbie faithful, I point out that the Sox have won a series in my son's lifetime, which he is five. In the three generations of my family's lifetime here in Chicago? ZERO Cubs championships.

Like that soundbyte that *shudder* Mike Murphy always plays of "And Ed Lynch is STILL on the Cubs payroll," I would love to hear a "And the Cubs are STILL in second place."

Front, for your own sake, please stop listening to Mike Murphy.

jdm2662
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM

It makes no sense to me either. In 2003, Sox fans were "mean" and "classless", etc for not getting behind the cute and cuddley Cubbies. They were getting offended, how can you not root for the Cubbies???

Here comes 2005. My exact lines to the Cubs fans who weren't for the Sox, good! Stay on the north side. We don't want you. Keep telling me how great Wrigley is, how cool it is to be a Cubs fan, etc. No bandwagon jumpers. You don't deserve to enjoy this run. Besides, I'm too busy rooting for my team to worry about what you think.

Now, it's sheer jealously. The Sox stole plenty of thunder from the Cubs the last two years. Of course, the Cubbie fans care about being popular more than anything else. The Sox have that piece of hardware, and they are approaching on 100 years. Oh, you are in first place, great. I'm not impressed. The Sox are bad this year? It had to happen eventually. They havenít been this bad since 1989. When was the last time the Cubs were this bad? Oh, thatís right, last year!

Viva Medias B's
08-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I'd definitely put this on Angie's List (http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/). I'd also consider notifying your local chamber of commerce and/or the Better Business Bureau. This is totally unprofessional conduct on the part of the ARS Rescue Rooter associate, and conduct like this by anyone in the service industry is very legitimate grounds for termination. I am not trying to Roadhouse this thread by bringing this subject up, but the ghetto references are especially bothersome; in the world of corporate codes of conduct, the ghetto references could be construed as borderline racism. I most certainly would lose my job if I acted like this ARS Rescue Rooter associate did.

Keep us posted on what you do about this.

Railsplitter
08-17-2007, 10:05 PM
My theory is that Cubs fans want the Cubs to be the only team in town. That's the only reason they can have any antipathy towrd the the Sox. The Cubs are clearly the media favorties in town.

hi im skot
08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
On another note, does anyone shop at Whole Foods anymore? The official grocery store of the cub as their window stickers say? Sorry, I am done buying 9 dollar mango salsa from that place.

That's seriously going to keep you from shopping there?

Some people take this stuff way too serious.

As for the plumber, he sounds like a horse's ass. I'm all for having some fun and egging folks on for fun, but that's just inappropriate.

Brian26
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Only thing is this guy was THAT nuts, to the point where I'd be afraid to call him company and get him fired because he knows our address, but I'm doing it anyway because thats completely unacceptable.

Make sure all the plumbing works. If it does, I'd just let the incident go and forget about using that company ever again.

I wouldn't waste any time making an issue of it with his boss. It's not worth having this lunatic come back to your house and doing something stupid.

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2007, 12:05 AM

I used this line for the first time tonight... and it totally worked! :bandance: :supernana::bandance:

I was at the Cingular store getting a new phone and when I opened my purse, the kid selling me the phone saw the Sox lanyard on my keys and was like, "Oh, you're a Sox fan? Had I know that, I wouldn't have sold you this phone." I said, "Hey man, my money is as green as a Cub fan's money," to which he agreed. He then said that it was a good thing that guy (pointing to another store employee, possibly the manager) didn't hear me.

The other employee came over and the kid selling me the phone informed him that I'm a Sox fan. The other employee made some remark about the Cubs being in first place and I said, "Look. Until you've hoisted a trophy above your head and worn a diamond-encrusted World Championship ring on your finger like I have, you have nothing to say." He was quite surprised that I said something like that and his comeback was, "It took you 88 years..." and I reminded him that his team was pushing the century mark for years without a Championship and he said it's been 98 years. I corrected him, saying they last won in 1908 and reminded him that this was 2007, therefore it's been 99 years. His comeback to all of this was, "Uh... well... at least we named our own team and didn't copy another team's name." :?: I can only assume he was referring back to the 1880s when the Chicago White Stockings existed.

After this exchange, I just took my new phone and walked out of the store without saying anymore because honestly, he wasn't worth my time.

DumpJerry
08-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I corrected him, saying they last won in 1908 and reminded him that this was 2007, therefore it's been 99 years. His comeback to all of this was, "Uh... well... at least we named our own team and didn't copy another team's name." :?: I can only assume he was referring back to the 1880s when the Chicago White Stockings existed.
Do I have to do all your work for you? We at least settle on a name and stick with it. We also don't name ourselves after the team that beat the Bears in the Super Bowl.

Chicago Cubs (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/)
Chicago Orphans, Chicago Colts, and Chicago White Stockings

Played as

Chicago Cubs (1903 - 2007)
Chicago Orphans (1898 - 1902)
Chicago Colts (1890 - 1897)
Chicago White Stockings (1876 - 1889)Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/)

Played as

Chicago White Sox (1901 - 2007)The White Sox were originally known as the White Stockings, but quickly changed the name as the local newspapers had shortened it for headline-writing purposes.

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Do I have to do all your work for you? We at least settle on a name and stick with it. We also don't name ourselves after the team that beat the Bears in the Super Bowl.

I had to think and respond quickly, so as not to say something that was wrong (I wasn't completely sure about the history of the whole Chicago White Stockings thing). I was on a roll and didn't want to spoil the moment by standing there speechless for too long or giving incorrect information.

Thanks for the lesson, BTW. :redface: :wink:

itsnotrequired
08-18-2007, 12:29 AM
I used this line for the first time tonight... and it totally worked! :bandance: :supernana::bandance:

I was at the Cingular store getting a new phone and when I opened my purse, the kid selling me the phone saw the Sox lanyard on my keys and was like, "Oh, you're a Sox fan? Had I know that, I wouldn't have sold you this phone." I said, "Hey man, my money is as green as a Cub fan's money," to which he agreed. He then said that it was a good thing that guy (pointing to another store employee, possibly the manager) didn't hear me.

The other employee came over and the kid selling me the phone informed him that I'm a Sox fan. The other employee made some remark about the Cubs being in first place and I said, "Look. Until you've hoisted a trophy above your head and worn a diamond-encrusted World Championship ring on your finger like I have, you have nothing to say." He was quite surprised that I said something like that and his comeback was, "It took you 88 years..." and I reminded him that his team was pushing the century mark for years without a Championship and he said it's been 98 years. I corrected him, saying they last won in 1908 and reminded him that this was 2007, therefore it's been 99 years. His comeback to all of this was, "Uh... well... at least we named our own team and didn't copy another team's name." :?: I can only assume he was referring back to the 1880s when the Chicago White Stockings existed.

After this exchange, I just took my new phone and walked out of the store without saying anymore because honestly, he wasn't worth my time.

I only buy phones at Grandstand.

DumpJerry
08-18-2007, 12:36 AM
I had to think and respond quickly, so as not to say something that was wrong (I wasn't completely sure about the history of the whole Chicago White Stockings thing). I was on a roll and didn't want to spoil the moment by standing there speechless for too long or giving incorrect information.

Thanks for the lesson, BTW. :redface: :wink:
Next time, remind whomever it is giving you a hard time "our bleachers don't exist to sell beer and underwear."

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Next time, remind whomever it is giving you a hard time "our bleachers don't exist to sell beer and underwear."

Suggestion noted. :thumbsup:

Palehose Pete
08-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I know plenty of Cubs fans who openly rooted against the Sox in '05. Talk about ignorant, classless chumps. Nice fans? Yeah, right. They're as jealous of the Sox as ever and pissed off for not having won anything in almost 100 years.

Payback is a *****.

Go Cards. Go Brewers.

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2007, 01:00 AM
I know plenty of Cubs fans who openly rooted against the Sox in '05. Talk about ignorant, classless chumps. Nice fans? Yeah, right. They're as jealous of the Sox as ever and pissed off for not having won anything in almost 100 years.

Payback is a *****.

Go Cards. Go Brewers.

I worked with one in particular. I'm a teacher and on the morning of Game 1 of the ALDS, this die hard Cub fan teacher in my school walked down our hallway chanting, "Let's Go Red Sox!" as the kids were walking into the school. Yeah, she's real classy and shows good sportsmanship.

I echo your sentiments- Go Cards, Go Brewers!

TDog
08-18-2007, 01:20 AM

He then goes, "Oh don't tell me your one of those ghetto ones, fan of the Ghetto crap on the South Side."

And it didn't end there, ...

A plumber shouldn't come into your home and insult you. If it's a friend doing the work as a favor, it's a private matter. If it's a vendor, insults should justify contracting with another company. That would have a bigger impact than complaining about the man after he has completed his work. The plumber likely works in an environment where a simple complaint may be good for a laugh back a the office.

ARS looks like an Old English word that seems appropriate.

Railsplitter
08-18-2007, 07:26 AM
As for attendance, remind the Cubs fans that the Cell is not a tourist attraction the way Wrigley is.

Viva Medias B's
08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Now that I think of it, this thread alone could malign ARS Rescue Rooter. Consider all the people who read it, ARS Rescue Rooter is essentially getting bad press.

DrewSox56
08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
"So whats all that water down there." To which he replied "Wow, you guys are dumber then you look. It's called a leak, don't Sox fans know what a leak is."

:club:

I don't know, Fedex - You're a better man than me.

I'd have probably lost it, showed him the front lawn, along with a leak in his upper lip for calling my mother "dumb" in front of me.

Kudos to you for keeping your cool and not validating his stereotypes about Sox fans. :thumbsup:

FoulTerritory
08-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Times like this I'm glad I don't live in Chicago anymore. You guys have my sympathy.

All I can suggest is that you throw out the ol' "You guys had 2003; we had 2005. I'll take 2005" argument.

I agree. It is incidents such as this one that make me enjoy being an out of state sox fan. That, and I never have to be subjected to the Score, or any of the other bush league chicago media. Ah . . . . breath the clean air.

DumpJerry
08-18-2007, 11:15 AM
As for attendance, remind the Cubs fans that the Cell is not a tourist attraction the way Wrigley is.
Cub fans worry about being accepted by society. Sox fans worry about winning.

I'm thinking that plumber was drunk because of the lack of self control he was showing. I would have called his office right away told them that they sent a drunk out to do the job and somebody needs to pick him up right away before he hurts somebody thereby exposing the company to all kinds of legal liability (I assume he drove a company truck to the job).

MarySwiss
08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Another thing I do which is kind of fun is whenever someone approaches me with the old "I'm a Cub fan." line, I look him or her straight in the eye and say, "Gee, I'm sorry."

That usually results in a jaw-drop and silence, giving me time to walk away before they can come up with any comeback (not that there actually is one).

TDog
08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Cub fans worry about being accepted by society. Sox fans worry about winning. ...

Sox fans do worry about winning, and everyone knows it. When the Sox have a division lead late in the season, no matter how large, the preoccupation is whether they can hold on. Any optimism going into the postseason is cautious and quite conditional.

Cubs fans talk about going to the World Series when they haven't been in first place by more than half a game all season, with a winning percentage barely above .500.

I don't have to deal with Cubs fans anymore, but if I did, I would point out the Cubs were a lot closer to to getting to the World Series in 1984. What was it -- up by three runs going into the bottom of the sixth in the fifth game of the best-of-five NLCS after winning the first two games? In 2003, of course, they also had to lose three straight games, and had a 3-0 lead in the top of the eighth in the six game of the best-of-seven series.

White Sox fans know it's not easy to get to the World Series. When someone at work asked me if I thought the Sox were going to get to the World Series in 2005 when they were up two games to one, I said going to the World Series is something you ask for when you're on Santa's lap. Bandwagoners think it's easy. I have no idea why Cubs fans think it's so easy.

Martinigirl
08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
People are unbelievable, cub fans in particularly, but they don't have the market cornered. But I can honestly say if I had been you, I would have kicked him out of my house, called his company and demanded a different plumber that wasn't an *******. I have little to no tolerance for ignorant people.

I teach children all day, I have to deal with their quirks, and I am helpful and patient with them. I am no more patience and tolerance left for adults who are just inappropriate and stupid.

My favorite recent "I am a BIG Cub fan!" story is this woman, who was at a beginning of the school year teacher orientation meeting. You had to make name cards with symbols that identified things that helped describe you, or were important to you. She stands up to explain her name plate, and points to a red circle with a blue "C" and claims she is a huge Cub fan. So big of a fan she doesn't know the "C" is red. I was just staring at her, desperately wanting to point it out, but alas, I acted like grown up and just mocked her endlessly on a phonecall on my way home.

And as far as total unprofessionalism, this isn't Cub related, but I think still mindnumbing. I was looking for a new car and started talking to a salesperson about a car. We went into his office to start talking price and availability and suddenly he starts talking politics and wouldn't stop. I nicely said I didn't see things that way, he starts ARGUING WITH ME. He is supposed to be selling me a car and making a comminsion. He starts telling me that I am just wrong and that I must not understand what is REALLY going on. I was totally amazed. Now I am not a wilting flower when it comes to debate and I was about to tell him off, when I realized I had no reason in the world to do so. I just simply looked at him and told him I would rather walk for the rest of my life than buy a car from him. And I left. As I was walking out, I did hear him say he didn't mean to offend me, and that I should come back. Needless to say, I did not.

People need to do their jobs and shut their mouths.

johnr1note
08-18-2007, 01:09 PM
That's why god created these little digital voice recorders:http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Rz8cPNCXL._SS500_.jpg
I always have mine available inconspicuously in these sorts of situations just to make sure I, um, don't misunderstand what someone might be saying and have a record for later.

Be careful with this sort of thing. The Illinois Eavesdropping statute expressly prohibits the recording of any conversation unless all of the parties consent or at least acquiesce in the recording. A recording made without the other person knowing about it would never be admissible in any legal proceeding, and the recording itself would be a Class 4 Felony.

See Article 14 of chapter 720 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, which is part of the Illinois Criminal Code.

TornLabrum
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
People are unbelievable, cub fans in particularly, but they don't have the market cornered. But I can honestly say if I had been you, I would have kicked him out of my house, called his company and demanded a different plumber that wasn't an *******. I have little to no tolerance for ignorant people.

I teach children all day, I have to deal with their quirks, and I am helpful and patient with them. I am no more patience and tolerance left for adults who are just inappropriate and stupid.

My favorite recent "I am a BIG Cub fan!" story is this woman, who was at a beginning of the school year teacher orientation meeting. You had to make name cards with symbols that identified things that helped describe you, or were important to you. She stands up to explain her name plate, and points to a red circle with a blue "C" and claims she is a huge Cub fan. So big of a fan she doesn't know the "C" is red. I was just staring at her, desperately wanting to point it out, but alas, I acted like grown up and just mocked her endlessly on a phonecall on my way home.

And as far as total unprofessionalism, this isn't Cub related, but I think still mindnumbing. I was looking for a new car and started talking to a salesperson about a car. We went into his office to start talking price and availability and suddenly he starts talking politics and wouldn't stop. I nicely said I didn't see things that way, he starts ARGUING WITH ME. He is supposed to be selling me a car and making a comminsion. He starts telling me that I am just wrong and that I must not understand what is REALLY going on. I was totally amazed. Now I am not a wilting flower when it comes to debate and I was about to tell him off, when I realized I had no reason in the world to do so. I just simply looked at him and told him I would rather walk for the rest of my life than buy a car from him. And I left. As I was walking out, I did hear him say he didn't mean to offend me, and that I should come back. Needless to say, I did not.

People need to do their jobs and shut their mouths.

They say that there are two things you should never argue about: politics and religion. I'd say those are two things you should never discuss in any business/commercial context such as the one you're describing here. In Chicago we probably should add baseball to that mix.

Frontman
08-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Front, for your own sake, please stop listening to Mike Murphy.

It was that or "Screamin'" Steven A. Smith. At least Murph doesn't hate ALL of Chicago sports.......

TDog
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
They say that there are two things you should never argue about: politics and religion. I'd say those are two things you should never discuss in any business/commercial context such as the one you're describing here. In Chicago we probably should add baseball to that mix.

I learned the truth of that years ago. In Chicago, the whole Sox/Cubs thing is sort of a religion.

Mercy!
08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Be careful with this sort of thing. The Illinois Eavesdropping statute expressly prohibits the recording of any conversation unless all of the parties consent or at least acquiesce in the recording. A recording made without the other person knowing about it would never be admissible in any legal proceeding, and the recording itself would be a Class 4 Felony.

See Article 14 of chapter 720 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, which is part of the Illinois Criminal Code.
Thanks for the refresher. Illinois does have one of the most restrictive eavesdropping statutes in the nation. But as someone just protecting herself in her own home, I'll continue to keep taking my chances with my little ol' voice recorder. :cool:

bigfoot
08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Did the ass-crack ever fix the plumbing problem?

jdm2662
08-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Payback is a *****.

Go Cards. Go Brewers.

So did I. I said, good! Stay on the north side. We don't want you. It didn't bother me one bit. It just made the run even more sweeter. Jealously is something I laugh at.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-18-2007, 11:39 PM

The repeated "ghetto" comments are disgraceful. I think they would get attention at the Better Business Bureau, if you feel like going to the trouble.

chisoxmike
08-19-2007, 01:09 AM
:puking: :puking:

Comcast Sports Net just started with the magic number countdown for the Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
08-19-2007, 01:28 AM
:puking: :puking:

Comcast Sports Net just started with the magic number countdown for the Cubs.

What more proof do we need about the truth of the Cubbie-loving media that treats us like crap.

chisoxmike
08-19-2007, 01:30 AM
What more proof do we need about the truth of the Cubbie-loving media that treats us like crap.

Well, the Trib started a magic number countdown for the Sox in 2005 in July. I'm just saying its sickening to see a magic number countdown for a team that is only 1/2 game in first with three teams that will be bouncing in and out of first.

Domeshot17
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM

I hate the cubs doing well too, mostly because of the crap im eating from my friends, but at least they have put themselves in this position. We had a bigger lead at this time, but we were getting it in 2005. Its not like the media is running our tragic number (which may have passed already haha).

pdr
08-19-2007, 02:04 AM
ARS Rescue Rooter is trouble in more ways than baseball ignorance. We had an odd leak in the middle of a hallway. Called in ARS, who couldn't locate the source and called in an electronic leak detector, which found nothing. Given that result, the plumber decided there was nothing else to do except jackhammer the slab. Not knowing what the situation was, I was willing to go along with that until the second plumber (a good cop/ bad cop setup?) starting jerking me around with the cost of the jackhammering. I told him to leave and called in a plumber that the association uses. In five minutes he found the problem: the drain hose to the A/C was clogged and water was backing up inside the walls. Guess which company had performed the annual A/C check 2 weeks before the leak appeared? ARS Rescue Rooter:o::o::o: That repairman had noted that everything with the A/C was working properly "at the moment". Interesting wording, I've never seen a writeup like that before. We're still deciding if we need to initiate some kind of investigation of them; insurance fraud seems like a real possibility too. Anyway, they should be avoided at all costs.

miker
08-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Let's face it, the only way we will get Cub fans and the media to respect the White Sox organization and their fans, is when their blood is running through the streets! :angry:

Obviously, its not a perfect plan. There are quite a few legal and moral issue that need to be addressed.

In the meantime, I placate myself with knowing that not all a-holes are Cub fans, but most Cub fans are...

34rancher
08-25-2007, 01:40 PM

I usually remind them that people who were the most popular in high school ended up just like the cubs....losers in the long run.

soltrain21
08-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Media outlets do stuff like that (the magic number countdown) because their fans eat it up. They know we are more intelligent about situations; but it makes Cub fans all giddy, so the station knows they will tune in to get that "magic number" update.

Really, can you blame them? They are appealing to the fanbase. I'd say its them holding our intelligence in a higher regard than that of flocking Cub fans.

JB98
08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Media outlets do stuff like that (the magic number countdown) because their fans eat it up. They know we are more intelligent about situations; but it makes Cub fans all giddy, so the station knows they will tune in to get that "magic number" update.

Really, can you blame them? They are appealing to the fanbase. I'd say its them holding our intelligence in a higher regard than that of flocking Cub fans.

You are correct, sir.

As an assistant sports editor, I can tell you it's all about selling newspapers. A dip****, know-nothing Cub fan's money is just as valuable as yours or mine.

soltrain21
08-25-2007, 03:00 PM
You are correct, sir.

As an assistant sports editor, I can tell you it's all about selling newspapers. A dip****, ass-licking, know-nothing Cub fan's money is just as valuable as yours or mine.

I work at Fox. I know all about it. Ha.

McCuddy
08-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Careful on that one... we sold our start times to a convenience store.

Thome_Fan
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Tension is high. It's August and the flubbies are looking once again more like pretenders than contenders. Next season starts number 100 without a title and the fans know how much grief they are going to get if the streak hits triple digits especially with the Sox having recently broken their own streak.

Call it jealousy, call it frustration, call it getting sold a bill of goods for all of their lifetimes. It works out the same.

Jackson Browne said it best in his song that not many people know was actually about the Scrubs:

"Are you there? Say a prayer for the pretender. He started out so young and strong only to surrender..."
:bandance:

WizardsofOzzie
08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Jen, You're like the sister I always wanted...I'd be so proud if my actual sister could formulate a thought more advanced than "Let's go to the mall" Looking forward to the game next month!

skottyj242
08-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Anybody who would sabatoge a business transaction over allegience to a baseball team is an idiot.

mark2olson
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Anybody who would sabatoge a business transaction over allegience to a baseball team is an idiot.

Indeed! I wonder what the CEO of Cingular would have to say about that?

Thome25
08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Earlier today my mom realized our sink was plugged up so naturally instead of live without a sink for days she called a plumber.

ARS Rescue Rooter was the company, what happened from there was a complete joke.

My mom and the plumber are making small talk to the point where my mom says, "So are you into sports?"

He replied, "OH yeah, ready for a Cubbies World Series"

To which my mom (Sox fan) said absolutely nothing.

And it didn't end there, jab after jab the entire time hes working. My mom would ask him, "So wheres the leak coming from?" He would reply "Jeez, Sox fans have no patience, just like you give up on your team." Even stuff like my mom saying "So whats all that water down there." To which he replied "Wow, you guys are dumber then you look. It's called a leak, don't Sox fans know what a leak is."

This went on for almost 2 hours. The usual "attendance" your place is a ghetto. Even things like "no point in watching the Sox you know they're going to lose, just like last year"... yeah knucklehead they didn't win 90 games.

During one point at the beginning of the job, my mom tried working out a price (this was before he knew we were a Sox fan), anyway she got what she wanted, etc. Later in the job, when he found out she was a Sox fan went "Jeez, if I had known you were a Sox fan I wouldn't have given you a dollar off".

God only knows if this job was done correctly, what was done... my mom was almost shaking through pure anger.

To make matters worse he wrote Go Cubs on one side of the recipet, then Cubs Rule Sox Drule (sic). Yes he said Drule, he was a smart one.

What a ****ing joke, I'm upset now even as I type this. This bordered on pure harassment and who knows if it played any part in how the job was done.

Obviously, we're going to call the company now and tell them what happened, but I'd suggest you guys be careful dealing with ARS Rescue Rooter, if guys like this are working for them.

I would've thrown that jagbag outta my house after the first couple of insults, called the company and got someone else in there.