PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gonzales Inserts Foot, again.

Ron Mexico
08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Per Hardball Blog on Chicagosports.com

The White Sox will pay dearly for their likely sub-.500 finish in the 2008 amateur draft.
The White Sox spent $ 2,444,550 on signing bonuses to players drafted and signed in the first 10 rounds. That's slightly less than what Pittsburgh gave Clemson left-hander Daniel Moskos with the fourth overall selection in the 2007 draft.

The Sox's signing bonuses to players in the top 10 rounds ranked 26th among the 30 major league teams. Baltimore led all major league teams by spending $7,672,500

I didn't realize Mr. Gonzales was able to prognosticate the future outcome of White Sox personnel decisions.

It would be an otherwise interesting post if it weren't for his clearly biased opinion.

getonbckthr
08-17-2007, 02:14 PM
:KWListen Gonzo, this is not your business this is White Sox business, stay out of White Sox business.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
This dovetails nicely with the exceptional discussion that some posters (balke and others) were having in another thread about comparing Detroit's picks as opposed to the White Sox.

I think (and I can't speak for Mark) the point he was trying to make was that for some reason the Sox have been staying away from 'more talented' potential selections based on who their agent is or what signing bonus they may be asking for.

Time will tell if that attitude is right or wrong but many posters with more detailed knowledge of the Sox minor league system then me, have admitted that in many areas the talent level is below par.

Also Kenny fired the guy in charge of the system (Shaffer) so obviously he didn't like something about the job that was being done.

Lip

salty99
08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
One word: Borchard

INSox56
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
$ != future talent/major league star

Domeshot17
08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I dont disagree with this. We aren't a small market team but we sure draft like it. Then we don't deal with Boras so that eliminates most of the most talented players in the draft. Its just a joke. Kenny talks about championship arms, but in reality he is not willing to gamble on a big one. Does anyone know how the draft will work out? No, but is it known that Porcello has better command and movement and what appears to be a brighter future then Andrew Sisco JR Poreda? yes. Its just frusterating to have talent fall in our laps, and us pass because of money. KC is a team who would do that, small market, not Chicago.

munchman33
08-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Per Hardball Blog on Chicagosports.com

I didn't realize Mr. Gonzales was able to prognosticate the future outcome of White Sox personnel decisions.

It would be an otherwise interesting post if it weren't for his clearly biased opinion.

It's an opinion anyone taking a good, hard look at our minor league system would completely and without question agree with.