PDA

View Full Version : Craig Monroe released

illini81887
08-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Anyone consideration of taking a look at?

EastCoastSoxFan
08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Source?

I didn't see any mention of this on mlb.com...

Sockinchisox
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone consideration of taking a look at?

I would not mind this guy on our team, ya he Ks a lot but we are in DESPERATE need of a right handed power bat off the bench, and he crushes lefties.

Oblong
08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
He was DFA'd to make room for Maybin, subject of another thread.

That makes me as happy as Maybin being called up. He's been a black hole all year.

russ99
08-17-2007, 02:55 PM
He's a FA this offseason so why bother now?

Foulke You
08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
He was DFA'd to make room for Maybin, subject of another thread.

That makes me as happy as Maybin being called up. He's been a black hole all year.
I always liked Monroe. Not seeing him bat as much as you do, what exactly happened to Monroe this year Oblong? He was very productive last couple years for the Tigers and I remember him torching White Sox pitching in '06. He also seemed to have a knack for the big HR late in ballgames. I wonder if he is just having an off year or are his skills in serious decline?

jabrch
08-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Can't hit RHP much at all. Not sure we have any use for a veteran LF who doesn't hit too well. We can find enough of that with what we have.

He might be a good fit on a contender that needs a PH or an extra LF to play only against a LHP.

oeo
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Craig Monroe sucks...pass.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Craig Monroe, you're not even on the field!

Tragg
08-17-2007, 04:44 PM
30 years old, 7 seasons and a career obp of around .300, averaging 25 homers a year.

A poor man's Jock Jones. The ultimate power-hacker. Exactly what we don't need.

hose
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
pass

TDog
08-17-2007, 06:46 PM
He's a FA this offseason so why bother now?

If he is released, he becomes a free agent before the off-season.

Oblong
08-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I always liked Monroe. Not seeing him bat as much as you do, what exactly happened to Monroe this year Oblong? He was very productive last couple years for the Tigers and I remember him torching White Sox pitching in '06. He also seemed to have a knack for the big HR late in ballgames. I wonder if he is just having an off year or are his skills in serious decline?

When he came up I saw him as a 4th outfielder or a platoon guy. He just didn't get on base enough. Too streaky. He hit some big home runs last year and had 5 in the playoffs but this year he was just brutal. I saw nothing in him to make me think he would improve. My lasting image is the one handed strike out followed by the slamming of the helmet while he stared out into the field wondering why he struck out.

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
When he came up I saw him as a 4th outfielder or a platoon guy. He just didn't get on base enough. Too streaky. He hit some big home runs last year and had 5 in the playoffs but this year he was just brutal. I saw nothing in him to make me think he would improve. My lasting image is the one handed strike out followed by the slamming of the helmet while he stared out into the field wondering why he struck out.

Another guy with a slider speed bat who gets cut and becomes part of the wishlist of many WSI members.

Do we need to have interest in every guy who is released?

JB98
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
Another guy with a slider speed bat who gets cut and becomes part of the wishlist of many WSI members.

Do we need to have interest in every guy who is released?

We definitely could use a right-handed power bat on the bench. I don't know if Monroe is the right man for the job, however.