PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sox Team?

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I was talking to my dad about his favorite Sox team to watch (excluding the 2005 and 1959 teams which I think would clearly finish 1-2 respectively). His response was the 1977 Hitmen which he said was "Just a fun team to watch." So I'm asking you guys, what was your favorite Sox team since 1959 and EXCLUDING the 2005 team.

Chips
08-17-2007, 11:33 AM
SouthSide_Hitmen.

Bucky F. Dent
08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
A second for the Hitmen.

chisoxmike
08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Probably the '93 team. It was the first year my Dad started taking me to games, and I remember my first game I ever went to. I was 9.

IlliniSox
08-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I quit watching baseball altogether after the strike. But by '98, I was done playing sports myself, so I attached myself to that young team. As I saw the crowds grow from just me, my 10 buddies and 5,000 people in the rain to 45,000, I felt like I was part of what was happening.

That 2000 team bludgeoned thier opponents to death. Sure the flaws came out against Seattle, but I still have great memories about that summer. The Go-Go's and the Hitmen are way before my time.

soxfanatlanta
08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
1994 - Frank was crazy good that year. They would have made the post season had it not been...oh hell you get it.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-17-2007, 12:31 PM
1990 -- No .300 hitters (for the full season), no 30 HR men, no 100 RBI men, no pitcher with more than 14 wins, no legitimate leadoff hitter, no career years (other than Bobby Thigpen), add it all up, and you get.....
94 WINS.
What a fun season.
If only the three-division system had been in place at that time...

voodoochile
08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
SouthSide_Hitmen.

Shouldn't you have to vote for a team you were at least alive to see play? :tongue:

Gotta be 1983 for me. It was the first time a baseball team from my hometown even made the postseason in my lifetime. It was such a fun ride too. Second half of that season they just killed everyone they played.

jabrch
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I will always love the 83 team. Same reasosn as Voodoo...

35th&Shields
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Probably the '93 team. It was the first year my Dad started taking me to games, and I remember my first game I ever went to. I was 9.

1993. It was the spring of my senior year in high school and the fall of my freshman year at college and I was out of state. I was proud to have been a Sox fan and it made me feel a little closer to home to still follow the Sox when I was away from home for the first time.

soxinem1
08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Like some of you, I will always cherish the 1983 team, but my heart goes with the 1990 White Sox. No one saw 94 wins coming, and if not for the steroid-pumped A's, that team wins the AL west out of nowhere in 1990.

1990 also saw the introduction of the team's best hitter and 3B ever as regular players, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura.

Ron Kittle hit the last legit roof shot.

They won a game with no hits that put them in first place.

Comiskey Park squeezed out a few wins for that team too.

The 1990 team had the hearts of lions and panthers.

The 1983 team had a lot of seasoned talent going in the season, and some expected them to win. The 1990 team was picked almost unanimously to be last, and damn near reached the past-season.

Thus, I pick the 1990 White Sox.

WisSoxFan
08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I had a hard time deciding between these two teams. '72 was my first year following baseball - my best friends' dad turned me on to the Sox - and it was so exciting. The 1990 team was the beginning of a White Sox resurgence (I guess technically it would have been the second half of '89) and they just looked like they were enjoying themselves. Winning will do that. I finally voted for '72. It's hard to turn your back on your first love.

LITTLE NELL
08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Im not sure if I can include 1959 when you asked since 1959, but I am anyway. I was 13 years old and was able to go to game 2 of the WS. The Go-Go Sox were my boyhood heroes and I can still name the whole team and coaches. The 50s in my opinion was the golden age of baseball. Players actually could bunt and hit and run and some actually choked up on the bat and hit to the opposite field. Starting pitchers were expected to go 9 innings on a regular basis on 3 days of rest.

mrfourni
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
It was either 93 or 94 for me. I chose 94 because it really seemed like everything was in place for that team to make a world series run. Oh what could have been.

Cuck_The_Fubs
08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
It was '67 or '94 for me, but I ended up choosing 94.

nccwsfan
08-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Some very good options, but I had to go with the 83' team. That was undoubtedly the team of my youth and solidified my loyalty to the White Sox for life. They were virtually unbeatable in the second half of the season, and had we only gotten through Game 4 Hoyt would have blown by the O's and through the Phillies.

90' had many good memories, and 94' seemed like a team destined for great things.

soxfan26
08-17-2007, 02:04 PM
The 1990 Sox get my vote in a photo finish with the 1983 Sox. I was only 7 in '83 so some of the fun was lost on me, but in '90 I followed nearly every pitch.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I picked the 1990 team because they weren't expected to do much, yet had a fabulous season, a total team effort.

But I'll tell you the 1964 and 1967 teams were awfully good too and it was hard to just pick one club.

Lip

tebman
08-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Love all those choices, but I gotta go with the '77 team. Except for 2005, I never had so much fun following a baseball season.

1990 was a great team too, coming out of nowhere: Thomas and Ventura's rookie years, Thigpen's save record, near-postseason finish, etc., but that season was tempered by the death watch over Comiskey Park. 1983 was the first postseason since '59, but I dunno -- somehow that team wasn't as much fun as that wacky bunch in '77.

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye...

soxfan1965
08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
1983 - I loved the pep rally at Daley Plaza and Mayor Harold Washington referring to manager Tony "LaRusso". Harold was a true Sox fan and it showed, he was pumped. This was a winnable AL playoffs (thanks tito landrum) and a winnable world series. It would have been the right finish of the 50th All-Star game at Comiskey season. And Carlton Fisk may have ended up with the right Sox hat (white) in the HOF had they gotten to and won the Series. 1964 team missed by a single game before the playoff system was in place, too bad, a great pitching team.

davenicholson
08-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I went with `67; I was 10 years old then, and in the prime of my sports fandom. My entire summer revolved around the Sox that year--a typical summer of 1967 day for me would be something like this:
Get up, get dressed, eat breakfast
Go to "The Field" (just an empty lot behind my parents' house) and play a game of right field out with the neighborhood kids
Go in to watch the Sox: homemade score sheet, pencil and baloney and butter sandwich in hand
Out to play off-the-porch, strikeout, running bases or another full game, depending on how many guys could come out. I was always Gary Peters and/or Pete Ward, which makes perfect 10 year-old sense, since I was and am a righty.
Supper, dishes, and back out for another game with the guys. It was usually baseball until the street lights came on and it became too dark to see the ball, at which time we joined the rest of the kids in the nightly game of ghost in the graveyard.Days featuring Sox night games were different, of course, but suffice it to say that my life was baseball and the Sox. The end of that summer (and accompanying ignominious end to the Sox' season) crushed me. The little boy in me can still feel vestiges of that pain, 40 years later...

LITTLE NELL
08-17-2007, 04:12 PM
I went with `67; I was 10 years old then, and in the prime of my sports fandom. My entire summer revolved around the Sox that year--a typical summer of 1967 day for me would be something like this:

Get up, get dressed, eat breakfast
Go to "The Field" (just an empty lot behind my parents' house) and play a game of right field out with the neighborhood kids
Go in to watch the Sox: homemade score sheet, pencil and baloney and butter sandwich in hand
Out to play off-the-porch, strikeout, running bases or another full game, depending on how many guys could come out. I was always Gary Peters and/or Pete Ward, which makes perfect 10 year-old sense, since I was and am a righty.
Supper, dishes, and back out for another game with the guys. It was usually baseball until the street lights came on and it became too dark to see the ball, at which time we joined the rest of the kids in the nightly game of ghost in the graveyard.Days featuring Sox night games were different, of course, but suffice it to say that my life was baseball and the Sox. The end of that summer (and accompanying ignominious end to the Sox' season) crushed me. The little boy in me can still feel vestiges of that pain, 40 years later...
Your day was much like mine, except mine was in the 50s. That 67 team; what great pitching,but pathetic hitting. 67 pitching with 77 htting; what a team that would have been.

thomas35forever
08-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Probably the 2003 team. As much as I liked the 2000 team, 2003 seemed more like a real pennant race. I know we eventually lost to the Twins, but that was really the first Sox team I got very excited about.

DumpJerry
08-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Just kidding.

I voted 1983, but if we could make two choices, 1977 would tie. The '83 team just dominated in the second half (except for that one night at the end of the season in Oakland :angry:) and the 1977 team was damn fun to watch!

TommyJohn
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I pick 1983. Although I am a 1967 White Sox buff, I wasn't born yet for that
team. 1983 was the first time in my life that they finished in first place, so
after 2005, they are my favorite. Like DumpJerry, if I could vote twice I'd
also cast one for 1967.

MDF3530
08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Winnin' Ugly.

ode to veeck
08-17-2007, 07:20 PM
A vote for the Hitmen as there was never another team from anywhere that I can recall being so aggressive at the plate, after leadoff Ralpgh Garr, every man was trying to cold cock any ball anywhere near the plate, it was often highly intimidating for the opposition pitching.

'93 team was also a fantastic team, the what if sox team of all time kiiled by the friggin' strike when the stars had aligned for the Sox and everyone was peaking except for the friggin' strike

The Racehorse
08-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Watching the Southside Hitmen on channel 44 cable really cemented my loyalty and that I'd be a lifelong Sox fan.

JB98
08-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Just a real memorable year, last season at the old park, 94 victories out of nowhere.

It was such a breath of fresh air after the malaise of the late 1980s. I was sad to see that season end.

tick53
08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Toss up really between the Hitmen and The Uglies. I went w/ Hitmen.

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Winning Ugly for my choice. The 1983 Sox were the first team I got to enjoy post-season play with. It's also why I chuckle/cry whenever I see that hold2dibber (sp?) posted here.
My second choice would be a tossup between the 1977 Hitmen and the Farewell Comiskey 1990 teams. both were a lot of fun to watch, but I might have to lean a bit towards the '77 team if only because it was the first year I was legal :gulp::o:

SMO
:gulp:

PKalltheway
08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
The 2000 team. I was too young to remember any of the other teams. I still have the 2000 team photo hanging up in my room after all of these years. Outside of 2005, that was the most fun I ever had watching the Sox. Just seeing the Sox slam their opponents was just so fun!

Remember the four game series at Yankee Stadium in June of that year in which IIRC, the Sox swept the Yanks and outscored them by a combined 42-17?:bandance::bandance::D:

Also, seeing Big Frank silence his critics and have the best year of his career was so much fun as well!

Edit: I thought that I would also give props to the 2006 team as well. I don't care what anybody else says, that was one fun summer as well. It was the first time the Sox took the field as defending World Champions in 88 years!

Railsplitter
08-17-2007, 09:58 PM
The 1994 Sox team is the best I ever saw, 2005 included.

Grzegorz
08-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Went with the '72 crew; to young for the '67 bunch.

Allen, Herrmann, Wood, & Bahnsen... I don't remember too much of Beltin' Bill from that year.

Anyway '72 it is...

Brian26
08-17-2007, 10:36 PM
1990 season. It was the last summer of watching the Sox before I went away to college. I think I saw every game on tv between Opening Day to around late August when Lee Stevens hit that crushing homer. Thigpen's 57 saves, the new uniforms being unveiled, the last season at Old Comiskey, Turn Back the Clock Day vs. Brewers, lights-out bullpen, Torborg working his magic. That was a great summer. Unfortunately the best team in baseball, the A's, were in the same division as the Sox.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Winnin' Ugly for me. My brothers and I listened to games across the Lake on 'MAQ. Hawk started his " Put it on the Board " that year, I think. Kittle was from Gary, which was/is just down the street. Heck, I remember hearing about Kitty in '82. He had a season at AAA Edmondton with 50+ dingers, and a .360 AVG. Dewey won 11 straight I think, and had tremendous run support in each game. LaRussa was a genius; he batted his catcher in the two spot. There was the HAR-old chant, before it was a clone of the derogatory Darrel chants ( for Strawberry ) out of NY. The no-name pen, led by Salome Bajoras. I was 15, and my brothers and I would send power from Michigan to the team. More often than not, someone used our power. Of course Tito Landrum used it for evil purposes, intercepting it and all.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I picked the 1990 team because they weren't expected to do much, yet had a fabulous season, a total team effort.

But I'll tell you the 1964 and 1967 teams were awfully good too and it was hard to just pick one club.

LipGive it a rest, Lip. Your favorite team is the one that sucked the most. Now I can go look it up, or you, and your encyclopedic memory can just quit the disingenuous bull**** and admit it. Which horrific Sox team is your favorite? :dunno:

JB98
08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Give it a rest, Lip. Your favorite team is the one that sucked the most. Now I can go look it up, or you, and your encyclopedic memory can just quit the disingenuous bull**** and admit it. Which horrific Sox team is your favorite? :dunno:

1976 :cool:

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 12:28 AM
1976 :cool:Thank you. At least we now know what Lip is striving for. :smile:

DickAllen72
08-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Excluding 2005, my favorite Sox season was 1972. The '77 "Southside Hitmen" season would be second followed by the '83 "Winnin' Ugly" season.

TornLabrum
08-18-2007, 12:45 AM
1976 :cool:

You're absolutely wrong. I have it on good authority his favorite team is the same as mine: 1970.

BTW, coming from the same generation as Lip, I know how he feels. It takes a long time to get rid of the "doom is just around the corner" feeling every one of us grew up with back in the day. Hell, by the time I got used to the 2005 team being World Champions, the 2006 team had blown it.

And those of us who grew up then wouldn't be surprised if the freakin' Royals passed us up before this season is over.

To West: Go back and look at your Sox history, and you might get an idea of why us older fans feel the way we sometimes do. And before you lump me with Lip (which isn't that bad company), just remember that I was jumping all over the Dark Clouds in 2005, and I haven't had a whole lot to say about this year's club one way or the other in terms of optimism or pessimism.

Oh, before I forget: My favorite team was 1972 and the resurgence of the Sox under Dick Allen.

JB98
08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
You're absolutely wrong. I have it on good authority his favorite team is the same as mine: 1970.

BTW, coming from the same generation as Lip, I know how he feels. It takes a long time to get rid of the "doom is just around the corner" feeling every one of us grew up with back in the day. Hell, by the time I got used to the 2005 team being World Champions, the 2006 team had blown it.

And those of us who grew up then wouldn't be surprised if the freakin' Royals passed us up before this season is over.

To West: Go back and look at your Sox history, and you might get an idea of why us older fans feel the way we sometimes do. And before you lump me with Lip (which isn't that bad company), just remember that I was jumping all over the Dark Clouds in 2005, and I haven't had a whole lot to say about this year's club one way or the other in terms of optimism or pessimism.

I just threw 1976 out there because that's the year I was born. And I also knew the Sox were horse**** that season. :D:

TornLabrum
08-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I just threw 1976 out there because that's the year I was born. And I also knew the Sox were horse**** that season. :D:

Not as horse**** as 1970!

JB98
08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Not as horse**** as 1970!

True. I wasn't alive then, but it appears that team was the most horse**** of all. Even this year's team would probably beat the 1970 squad pretty handily.

TornLabrum
08-18-2007, 01:12 AM
True. I wasn't alive then, but it appears that team was the most horse**** of all. Even this year's team would probably beat the 1970 squad pretty handily.

I'd say if this year's team played the '70 wonders, they'd probably win at least 100. Let me put it this way. I remember an article in the Sun-Times from spring training where Don Gutteridge said, "Remember Spahn and Sain and pray for rain? This year for us it'll be Horlen and John and then we get bombed." That was BEFORE the season started!

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2007, 01:29 AM
BTW, coming from the same generation as Lip, I know how he feels. It takes a long time to get rid of the "doom is just around the corner" feeling every one of us grew up with back in the day.For a long time, that was pretty much the defining characteristic of a Sox fan. Cubs fans had irrational optimism, Sox fans had what we thought was rational pessimism.

I'd say if this year's team played the '70 wonders, they'd probably win at least 100. Let me put it this way. I remember an article in the Sun-Times from spring training where Don Gutteridge said, "Remember Spahn and Sain and pray for rain? This year for us it'll be Horlen and John and then we get bombed." That was BEFORE the season started!I'm always happy that I didn't have to witness, read about, or be aware of one single game of that season!

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 08:54 AM

Oh, before I forget: My favorite team was 1972 and the resurgence of the Sox under Dick Allen.Damn Hal, it's not like I'm some pimple faced kid. I remember being in my late 20's and being completely convinced I would never see one of my teams win anything...period (and young folks wonder why us geezers love the '85 Bears so much). I could be as pessimistic as the next guy. I choose not to be. It's a personal decision. My whole thing with Lip is he gets so fargin' happy when the Sox suck. If he was just Clouding it, it would be one thing. Lip is an amazing guy. He's a great writer/interviewer and nobody, and I mean nobody, knows half as much as he does about the Sox. But does he really have to be so happy when they completely stink? :dunno:

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm always happy that I didn't have to witness, read about, or be aware of one single game of that season!OK, this is hands down the worst team of all. I have a feeling I know where you were that year.

veeter
08-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I will always love the 83 team. Same reasosn as Voodoo...Same here. They killed the vaunted AL east that season, validating their greatness. If only they'd gotten Dewey Lamar one more start.

Rounding_Third
08-18-2007, 09:35 AM
1972. Had Melton not slipped and fallen (herniated disc) into the dugout early that season on a popup, I think the Sox would have won the division. As it was, we only finished 5.5 behind those great A's, won 87 of 154 games (1 game not played) and were the 2nd best team in the AL. Had we won the division, would the '70's A's still be considered one of the great teams of all time or just a very good team? Chuck Tanner was a brilliant manager! The Sox battled all year despite missing one of their leaders for 2/3's of the year. Except for 2005, I've never been more proud of the Pale Hose!

Procol Harum
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Tough, tough, question. In the end I think I have to go with the 1964 Sox--they were, indeed, my "boys of summer." I was 10 years old that summer and followed the Sox everyday by TV, radio, and the newspaper. Great pitching, good defense, and--unlike the '67 team--we had a little bit--note: little bit--of hitting and power. And, of course it set me up for decades of disappointment and futility as the Sox' mad dash for the pennant came up one game short :D:.

Big luv for a lot of the other teams mentioned here including the aforementioned '67 team--'72, '77, '83, '90, '93-94, '00.

One other team, however, nearly became my choice--the '71 Sox. That year I literally heard or watched every game of the season and followed the rebound from the hideous 1970 season to a degree of near-.500 respectability. This was Chuck Tanner's first season as manager, Harry Caray's first year as announcer (on a couple of obscure suburban FM and AM stations and his broadcasts began to make a "star" out of Falstaff and the cute, young 2md year organist Nancy Faust), a lot of young/younger players (Melton, May, Bradley, Johnstone, No-Neck Williams, Bart Johnson), and the intro of the outrageous red-colored Sox unis. All in all, a bit of a fresh start. The season was a disaster until about the mid-point when they began to turn things around. Good baseball theater....

Lip Man 1
08-18-2007, 01:30 PM
West:

I appreciate the kind words and though I can never convince you, all I'll say is that if anyone thinks I'm 'happy' when the Sox lose, that's just plain nuts.

I loath having a baseball season 'end' in June. Dammit that's just not right.

Lip

Daver
08-18-2007, 01:35 PM
West:

I appreciate the kind words and though I can never convince you, all I'll say is that if anyone thinks I'm 'happy' when the Sox lose, that's just plasin nuts.

Lip

Be glad your not an Orioles fan, their season ends in April every year.

TomBradley72
08-18-2007, 02:55 PM
One other team, however, nearly became my choice--the '71 Sox. That year I literally heard or watched every game of the season and followed the rebound from the hideous 1970 season to a degree of near-.500 respectability. This was Chuck Tanner's first season as manager, Harry Caray's first year as announcer (on a couple of obscure suburban FM and AM stations and his broadcasts began to make a "star" out of Falstaff and the cute, young 2md year organist Nancy Faust), a lot of young/younger players (Melton, May, Bradley, Johnstone, No-Neck Williams, Bart Johnson), and the intro of the outrageous red-colored Sox unis. All in all, a bit of a fresh start. The season was a disaster until about the mid-point when they began to turn things around. Good baseball theater....

Summer of 1971 was the year I became a White Sox fan....I remember Caray going nuts when the White Sox crept within a few games of .500 in August....and any crowd > 15,000 was BIG news.

For the poll, I voted for the 1977 team...up until early August the most rollicking baseball season I've ever experienced. The intensity at Old Comiskey that season as 3-4X greater than 1983...all old time, hard core White Sox fans, Caray at the mike, Veeck and Hemond, an incredible ride.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 06:06 PM
West:

I appreciate the kind words and though I can never convince you, all I'll say is that if anyone thinks I'm 'happy' when the Sox lose, that's just plain nuts.

LipI don't know. It just seems like you're gloating whenever they stink. I know you would actually prefer to see them win. But I definitely meant what I said about your writing and knowledge. You are the man when it comes to the Sox. :smile:

Brian26
08-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't know. It just seems like you're gloating whenever they stink. I know you would actually prefer to see them win. But I definitely meant what I said about your writing and knowledge. You are the man when it comes to the Sox. :smile:

My favorite Lip story is when he admitted to destroying remote controls and punching holes in doors after tough Sox losses. Cut him some slack. He bleeds black and silver :D:

Brian26
08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Be glad your not an Orioles fan, their season ends in April every year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/2001/spring_training/news/2001/02/08/orioles_preview/belle.jpg
"The season might end in April, but the paychecks keep coming all year long."

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 06:39 PM
The 2000 Sox made me cry alone in my dorm room after the ALDS. My roommate came back from basketball practice and thought I had lost a friend to death or something.

I had fun following this team in 1994. I'd watch some games on TV and listened to the rest on the radio when I was supposed to be in bed. I had a special hiding spot for my hand radio that my parents never found. :D:

WhiteSox5187
08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I gotta say, I'm somewhat surprised that no one has voted for the 1981 team. We were I think, like two out when the strike happened. It also cemeted the core of the '83 team and really broke us out of the dolldrums after Veeck's Wrecks and the Keystone Sox period.

MikeW
08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I chose 1967 because I was 12 years old at the time and living in New Jersey. Nobody expected the Sox to do anything and they stayed in first place for most of the year.It was really and end to an era, because after that season they dealt away Agee,Buford,Weis and others: the team collapsed and never challenged until 1972.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2007, 01:21 AM
1972. Had Melton not slipped and fallen (herniated disc) into the dugout early that season on a popupI remember his injury having occurred falling off a ladder while doing work on his house.

Rounding_Third
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I remember his injury having occurred falling off a ladder while doing work on his house.

You may be right. I might be confusing it with another injury; his broken nose on a popup.

wilburaga
08-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll take that '72 team also, with the troika of Wilbur Wood, Stan Bahnsen and Tom Bradley starting 130 of the team's 154 games. (84.4%)

W