PDA

View Full Version : Big (cray)Z signs extension

thedudeabides
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Just heard Bruce Levine report on Mike and Mike. 5 years $90 million.

Jerko
08-17-2007, 09:57 AM
18 MIL a year???????? *** cubs.

DirtySouthsider
08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Here's a link

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7130616?MSNHPHMA

voodoochile
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Big Z?:rolleyes:

rdwj
08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
As long as he's their ace, I don't think the Cubs will contend for a WS. He's WAY too much of a mental case to compete is high-pressure situations.

skobabe8
08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
18 m per?? Yikes.

WizardsofOzzie
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Damn they got hosed on that deal. Buehrle signed for 4 mil less per year and he has a better ERA and WHIP than Zambrano, plus he's a consistent lefty

palehozenychicty
08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Now he'll have all the requisite arm problems while collecting checks from the Cubs. A smart man. :D:

The Racehorse
08-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice market correction.

thedudeabides
08-17-2007, 10:15 AM
18 m per?? Yikes.

Nice home town discount.

rdwj
08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Now he'll have all the requisite arm problems while collecting checks from the Cubs. A smart man. :D:

I think it's time for God to mix it up a little bit on them - a complete nervous breakdown would be much more entertaining.

palehozenychicty
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I think it's time for God to mix it up a little bit on them - a complete nervous breakdown would be much more entertaining.

ha ha, true! :rolling:

oeo
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Not sure why anyone is surprised at the price...

Still, this is not a smart organization at all. They're going to set themselves back for years with this recent spending spree. Dumbasses.

jabrch
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
In the context of this signing, the Mark Buehrle signing looks even better than it already did.

spiffie
08-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Still, this is not a smart organization at all. They're going to set themselves back for years with this recent spending spree. Dumbasses.
Either that or they'll start to spend some of their ungodly profits and elevate themselves into the Red Sox/Yankees spending territory. There is absolutely no reason for that franchise not to have a payroll in the 130-150 million range. Hell, they could jack every seat in that place up $10 and add millions to the coffers without blinking an eye. Now, this can be a bad signing for a whole host of other reasons. He's inconsistent, he's had a TON of work early in his career, he's utterly insane, etc. But if you assume that they will be filling their rotation spots with Zambrano, Lilly, Marquis, Hill, and Marshall/Veal/Samardzjia/Marmol for the next few years they'll still be spending as much or less than we are for their rotation in the next year or two (until such time as 2 out of 3 of Jose, Jon, and Javy are gone and replaced by young arms).

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm not surprised with the price either. With Buehrle already locked up, he became the marquee pitcher for next season's free agent class. He probably wouldn't have gotten Zito money but could quite easily have gotten more than what the Cubs offered. Looks like they bought him now to avoid a potential bidding war in the offseason.

spiffie
08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
One thing I wonder about in this is if this move is tied to the idea that the Trib sale may be indefinitely delayed/dead in the water. Maybe they have more flexibility now if they assume they will still be owning the team in 2008.

upperdeckusc
08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
they're saying it's a "hometown discount" by what, 1 mil per yr? and plus, what organization gives a player a PLAYER option on a 6th yr? if its a player option, just include it as part of the deal. i hope to god he is in shambles and injured by the time that comes around, so he can say "thanks for the free 19 mil......i'll be at the pool."

chisoxmike
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
:rolling:

Dumbasses.

What has Zambrano done to warrent this?

getonbckthr
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
He would have gotten longer and more money on the market.

rowand33
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
christ, are the Cubs printing money?

kidmccarthy
08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Uh, he actually got more than Zito. He has a 6th year player option for 19.25 million, which makes the deal 6/111. Wow. Historically, has a 6 year deal ever worked? I cant remember a power pitcher last more than 3-4 years without major issues. Good luck.....

SBSoxFan
08-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Zambrano has emerged as a Cy Young contender, raising his price

:rolleyes:

Would he even be in the top 5? He had a nice run there, but has been real bad his last 2 starts.

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, he was going to command that kind of money on the free market, so I'm not surprised by the price or the length...still, this is a guy who's never won more than 16 games in a season and has a hell of a lot of innings pitched...As has been stated in previous posts, he's also terribly inconsistent. He'll be lights out for four or five games and then get hit like its no tommorrow for four or five games...but, oh well. Time will tell whether or not this is a good deal, but my gut is telling me that it's only a matter of time before he injures himself doing something stupid like breaking bats over his knee or slamming his helmet into the ground.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Uh, he actually got more than Zito. He has a 6th year player option for 19.25 million, which makes the deal 6/111. Wow. Historically, has a 6 year deal ever worked? I cant remember a power pitcher last more than 3-4 years without major issues. Good luck.....

Zito still gets more. He has a $7 million buyout in 2014 so his deal is 7/126. Zambrano will get more per year but Zito has more total guaranteed money.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
:rolleyes:

Would he even be in the top 5? He had a nice run there, but has been real bad his last 2 starts.

He was 5th in CY voting last season.

SBSoxFan
08-17-2007, 11:15 AM
He was 5th in CY voting last season.

Ok. I don't track that stuff, and don't need to compare his numbers to last year. It just seems like, unless he goes on another run through the end of the year, he won't sniff that.

Ok, I looked, and while he's likely to set a career high in wins, he's also likely to set a career high in losses and ERA.

jabrch
08-17-2007, 11:40 AM
christ, are the Cubs printing money?

They have been for 15 years. Usually they just pocket it.

balke
08-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Buehrle has 18 quality starts this season. Zambrano has 14.

BUT NO DON'T SIGN BUEHRLE!!! HE WANTS ZITO MONEY!!! HE WANTS 5 YEARS!!!

I think a lot of the people who didn't want Buehrle were hoping to get Zambrano in the offseason, and that's just a big laugher.

munchman33
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I cant remember a power pitcher last more than 3-4 years without major issues.

Roger Clemens

soxinem1
08-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Buehrle has 18 quality starts this season. Zambrano has 14.

BUT NO DON'T SIGN BUEHRLE!!! HE WANTS ZITO MONEY!!! HE WANTS 5 YEARS!!!

I think a lot of the people who didn't want Buehrle were hoping to get Zambrano in the offseason, and that's just a big lauger.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2005-09-15/cover_story-27.jpg

A big lager for a big moron like Big La'Z'!!!!

JermaineDye05
08-17-2007, 12:56 PM
The Buehrle and Vazquez signings look a lot better now. Looks like Santana is pretty much guranteed 25-30 mil per year considering he's left handed and better than Zambrano. Didn't the Cubs learn their lesson with Soriano?

DrCrawdad
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Big Z?:rolleyes:

I agree. Can a mod please help brother? Change the thread title to something other than "Big Z?"

whitem0nkey
08-17-2007, 01:11 PM
he got a full no trade clause also.

voodoochile
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree. Can a mod please help brother? Change the thread title to something other than "Big Z?"

No problem...:tongue:

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
The Buehrle and Vazquez signings look a lot better now. Looks like Santana is pretty much guranteed 25-30 mil per year considering he's left handed and better than Zambrano. Didn't the Cubs learn their lesson with Soriano?

The Buehrle signing looked like a steal then and looks like an absolute steal now.

whitem0nkey
08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
On Murph they just said that the cubs did not give him a physical.

esbrechtel
08-17-2007, 01:18 PM
This team is single-handedly screwing up the future of the FA market...

goon
08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey, Chicago Cubs, everyone is laughing at you... again.

JermaineDye05
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I will laugh if he goes to break his bat again and ends up pulling something.

WizardsofOzzie
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Roger Clemens
Yeah, because he takes the first half of each season off until someone pays him a kings ransom. And to top it off, he's been no better than average this year.

kittle42
08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I would have taken Mr. Sky Pointer on the Sox. They need at least another Buerhle-level pitcher or better for that rotation, me thinks, but it won't happen.

russ99
08-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Aw man, I was really hoping for that powder-keg to explode under the intense pressure of playing in New York.

Oh well, it will be a lot more entertaining when he completely wigs out with the Cubs. :tongue: and then can't be traded.

It's Dankerific
08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah, because he takes the first half of each season off until someone pays him a kings ransom. And to top it off, he's been no better than average this year.

Thats only the last couple of years. if you look to when the redsox prounounced him "done." thats quite a few years of power pitching.

tebman
08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/fun-images/sam_zell.jpg

"Hey, Mark! Wanna buy a baseball team? We've got an ace all sewed up for you!"

http://blog.kir.com/archives/cuban.jpg

"Zambrano? At eighteen million per? Sorry Sam, I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid."

Lip Man 1
08-17-2007, 02:24 PM
I think you have to look at the signing and the off season spending in the context of what was at stake for the Tribune Company.

First and formost I still don't think they care much about what happens on the field...but they DO care about how many people buy tickets, how much they can charge for advertising during the game, TV and radio rights fees and the ability to generate promotional tie-ins.

The White Sox 2005 season was a shot across the bow, couple that with the fact that towards the end of the 2006 season there were a ton of empty seats at Wrigley Field and Ed Sherman's revelation that the Sox were now outdrawing the Cubs on TV and that was the last straw for them.

To the Tribune Company, it was simply not acceptable to allow the Sox to use the momentum from 05-06 and 'take back' the city of Chicago.

They simply were not going to allow it, period. They understood the Sox were a threat to them from a corporate standpoint, much as the Yankees look at the Mets in the same fashion.

The second point is that from a sale standpoint they decided to improve the product as much as possible to increase the potential value. To raise the going price if you will, to get the team.

Since they are unloading the property anyway what do they care about how much they are paying...those executives will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Phil Rogers on the Hardball page has a short story where he says in the near future the Cubs payroll will be in the range of 120 million a season. As one of the other posters noted that's certainly in Red Sox territory.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Thats only the last couple of years. if you look to when the redsox prounounced him "done." thats quite a few years of power pitching.
There's also a fair degree of suspicion regarding that "resurgance" of his...Also Lip, in regards to making the team better to give them more value, if the Cubs never won a game thsi season they'd be extra-ordinarily valueable because you have a guarenteed 3 million coming through the turnstiles to see Wrigley.

I understand the Tribune's fear in seeing the Sox become THE team in Chicago. The new owner may not have that fear though, also, if the Sox suck next year too, we could be right back to where we were a couple of years ago in the midst of the Sammy period...I still think that in the long term the Sox will be better than the Cubs but unless we can string together a couple of playoff appearences, we could easily be forgotten. Hopefully we'll make some good moves this off-season and with all the attention the Cubs are getting it will put the chip back on the shoulder of the Sox.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 02:38 PM
This team is single-handedly screwing up the future of the FA market...

http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2007/07/13/15/492-Giants_Sabean.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.42.jpg

Don't mind me, just making a few calls...

oeo
08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Roger Clemens

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/01/drug_needle.jpg

:dunno:

We'll see, but Zambrano has been racking up 200+ innings since he was 22.

thedudeabides
08-17-2007, 02:49 PM
No problem...:tongue:

Thanks for the update. :gulp:

rdivaldi
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
also, if the Sox suck next year too, we could be right back to where we were a couple of years ago in the midst of the Sammy period...

It will never get that bad again, not with the renovations to the ballpark in conjunction with the revitalization of Bridgeport and the State Street corridor.

Plus, I don't see us being very bad for long. (I hope that doesn't have to be in deep pink)

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
We'll see, but Zambrano has been racking up 200+ innings since he was 22.

:burly

Hey, me too!

jabrch
08-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I think a lot of the people who didn't want Buehrle were hoping to get Zambrano in the offseason, and that's just a big laugher.

Q: Who "DIDN'T WANT BUEHRLE"?

A: NOBODY

Lip Man 1
08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
WhiteSox51:

You have to look at the complete package. The balance sheet is determined by more then just how many fans show up. What you can ask for a team is in part determined by how much advertising income they can generate, how much money are they getting for their broadcast rights and so forth.

I think the Tribune Company felt that in order to increase the asking price and regain their 'lead' in at least the TV ratings (via the Sox) they had to act and act dramatically.

It all ties in together.

Lip

balke
08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Q: Who "DIDN'T WANT BUEHRLE"?

A: NOBODY

Didn't want Buehrle at the supposed price or years. There were some. That supposed price was less than Z got and equal to years. A lot of people pointing back to the end of last season. The "He's not a true ace" crowd.

PatK
08-17-2007, 03:57 PM
The way the Cubune and Cubs fans are gushing over this, you'd think they just signed Cy Young.

palehozenychicty
08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
The way the Cubune and Cubs fans are gushing over this, you'd think they just signed Cy Young.

What?! You're surprised? :D:

itsnotrequired
08-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Well, they got their guy locked up and don't have to wonder what would have happened in the off-season. I would be excited too. 5/90? I probably wouldn't be as excited knowing that he probably would have signed for 5/80 at the start of the season.

jdm2662
08-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Well, they got their guy locked up and don't have to wonder what would have happened in the off-season. I would be excited too. 5/90? I probably wouldn't be as excited knowing that he probably would have signed for 5/80 at the start of the season.

Yeah, and how was the reaction when the Sox extended Mark? Pretty similar I'm sure.

Jaffar
08-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Zambrano offered them 3/27 last year and they turned it down according to Levine a few weeks ago and he insisted that was a fact and not a rumor.

spiffie
08-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Zambrano offered them 3/27 last year and they turned it down according to Levine a few weeks ago and he insisted that was a fact and not a rumor.
I have no doubt that had he signed for 3/27 there would have been people here finding a way to call that a bad contract for one reason or another.

jdm2662
08-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I have no doubt that had he signed for 3/27 there would have been people here finding a way to call that a bad contract for one reason or another.

Dude, it's Bruce Levine. I believe him as much as I believe "sources". But yes, I do agree that there would be some here saying it's a bad contract...

FedEx227
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Dude, it's Bruce Levine. I believe him as much as I believe "sources".

Listening to everything LeVINE LINE says is like taking MLBtraderumors as a primary source.

DickAllen72
08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Good for him. I really like Zambrano, quirks and all. The man is a fierce competitor and wants to win.

$90M has him and his descendents set up for life. Now I hope he tears up his shoulder/elbow during his next start and ends his career and enjoys that $90M the Cubs will be paying him over the next five years.

pierzynski07
08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Now I hope he tears up his shoulder/elbow during his next start and ends his career.

Harsh

voodoochile
08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Good for him. I really like Zambrano, quirks and all. The man is a fierce competitor and wants to win.

$90M has him and his descendents set up for life. Now I hope he tears up his shoulder/elbow during his next start and ends his career and enjoys that $90M the Cubs will be paying him over the next five years.

Rooting for injuries is truly poor form...

DickAllen72
08-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Rooting for injuries is truly poor form...
Nah. It's not like I'm rooting for the guy to suffer in extreme pain or anything. I actually like the guy. But I'm not going to feel bad if he can no longer be a dominant pitcher if he still collects that $90M in guaranteed money from the Cubs.

People in the "real world" suffer work related injuries all the time and don't get millions of dollars in salary guaranteed to them because they can no longer perform at their best. I hurt my knee on the job a few years ago and got three weeks off with pay to rehab and then a small settlement to close out the case. I've been working ever since but my knee has never been the same and still bothers me at times. Too bad, that's life--I'm not complaining.

Let the Cubs pay for screwing up the market. I want the Cubs to suffer for their stupidity, not the players they overpaid.

Viva Medias B's
08-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought I saw some crawl on Comcast SportsNite that they would have a "Zambrano Signing Special" at 7:00 tonight. Did this same network ever have a "Buehrle Signing Special"?

soltrain21
08-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Everybody wants to win. He is just a loose cannon about it.

oeo
08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
:burly

Hey, me too!

The difference being Zambrano hitting in the mid-to-upper-90s. And let's not forget how long Baker would keep the guy in the game at such a young age.

I'm not saying he's going to get hurt, I think he's going to lose his velocity.

DickAllen72
08-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Everybody wants to win. He is just a loose cannon about it.
Maybe so, but I like him.

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 12:47 AM
I can see how this went..........

Jim Hendry: Carlos, you are a cornerstone of this franchise, so let's get this over with so we can concentrate on taking the division. I'll tell you what, you tell us what you think you are worth, and we will do the same.

Z: Good deal.

JH: How about $80 mill over five years?

Z: Wow, where do I s..........

PAUSE

JH (after thinking): Okay, how about $91 million over five years?

PAUSE

Z: Geeez, where's the p.......

JH: Okay, hardball, huh? How about the $91 million over five years and a sixth year option you totally control for $19.25 million more?

Z: That is a great c.........

JH (sweating): How's this... A full, no trade clause....

Z: Well, all I want to say is, this is a good deal, where do I sign, where's the pen? This is a great contract.

JH (relieved): You drive a hard bargain, Z!

TDog
08-18-2007, 01:46 AM
He would have gotten longer and more money on the market.

I doubt he would have been offered a longer contract. The sobering reality of the way Kevin Brown's seven year/$105 million deal with the Dodgers worked out, I couldn't imagine a team giving more than five years and a player option. He may have picked up a little more money. I say that only because if the Cubs were willing to pay that, they may have been spooked into pay more.

Long-term pitching contracts are always gambles. I didn't feel sorry for Prior when he got hurt, and I won't feel sorry for Zambrano when he gets hurt.

veeter
08-18-2007, 09:23 AM
This deal was never in doubt. What I resent is a.)Hendry continues to receive Kudos for writing out checks. b.)The media making it seem like it wasn't about money. That Zambrano only cares about winning with the cubs. It's the biggest contract ever. It was about the money.

spiffie
08-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I can see how this went..........

Jim Hendry: Carlos, you are a cornerstone of this franchise, so let's get this over with so we can concentrate on taking the division. I'll tell you what, you tell us what you think you are worth, and we will do the same.

Z: Good deal.

JH: How about $80 mill over five years?

Z: Wow, where do I s..........

PAUSE

JH (after thinking): Okay, how about $91 million over five years?

PAUSE

Z: Geeez, where's the p.......

JH: Okay, hardball, huh? How about the $91 million over five years and a sixth year option you totally control for $19.25 million more?

Z: That is a great c.........

JH (sweating): How's this... A full, no trade clause....

Z: Well, all I want to say is, this is a good deal, where do I sign, where's the pen? This is a great contract.

JH (relieved): You drive a hard bargain, Z!
According to everything I've read the option for the sixth year vests only if he finishes in the top 2 of the Cy Young voting in the 4th year, or the top 4 of the Cy Young voting in the fifth year. So yeah, I guess it is in his control to some degree, but I doubt if either of those things happen that the Cubs would be looking to get out of that option year.

bryPt
08-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I thought I saw some crawl on Comcast SportsNite that they would have a "Zambrano Signing Special" at 7:00 tonight. Did this same network ever have a "Buehrle Signing Special"?

Good question. Home of the white sox, but their backdrop on the set has the wrigley field sign on it. The Cubune does own a part of Comcast.

bahn1225
08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
My Favourite quote from noted theologian Carlos Z:

"I want to thank God (for this contract)because without him I'm, you know, screwed."

Frances Cardinal George couldn't have said it better.

spiffie
08-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Good question. Home of the white sox, but their backdrop on the set has the wrigley field sign on it. The Cubune does own a part of Comcast.
If only Reinsdorf owned say...40% or so of CSN this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

kittle42
08-18-2007, 01:47 PM

"I want to thank God (for this contract)because without him I'm, you know, screwed."

God would have asked for a seventh year.

soltrain21
08-18-2007, 03:16 PM

That is actually pretty hilarious. It seems like he would be a cool guy if he, you know, wasn't a douche bag.

kitekrazy
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM

They can afford it as long as they stay at Wrigley. The Cubs continue to accelerate the salaries of pitchers and they did this in the off season.

In his defense though, he's very good with a bat. I heard some Sox fans on the radio saying they would like to have him because of his hitting ability.