PDA

View Full Version : 1983 All-Star Game @ Comiskey - Introductions

Chisox353014
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Stumbled across these 2 videos completely by random today. Some pretty cool stuff in both.
AL All-Star intros, featuring a HUGE ovation for Kittle and a slim :o: Herm Schneider:
wZUdMB3C94Y

NL introductions, featuring the two biggest goats of the following year's NLCS :cool:, and four Montreal Expos :o: in the starting lineup:
02vfCalUgQQ

The Racehorse
08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Great seeing those guys from the early '80s [again]... :cool:

Between bruising my eyeballs seeing those loud yellow Pirates unis, or those powder blue Cardinal jammys... those uniforms typified '80s schlock. :D:

Wsoxmike59
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Believe it or not I still have this entire game on tape! I actually play it every now and then just for nostalgia sake.

'83 was a banner year for me, I was just getting my business off the ground, got married, and saw the Sox finish in first for the first time in my lifetime. In some respects it seems like it was only yesterday, but then I look in the mirror and see how much I've aged since that time. :D:

Perhaps it was best said by my favorite rocker Mick Jagger on the Stones last album A Bigger Bang.

Life is short, one look and it's over....comes as quite a shock. All's I got is some memories...stuffed in an old shoe box.

Madvora
08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
My God! Yaztremski was there. Cal Ripken making his first appearance, Sutcliff on the Indians and the Brewers in the AL!
And Dave Winfield gets booed?

Frontman
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Man, I was at that game! That is incredible find. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Brian26
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Ron Kittle
*1st ALL-STAR Game*

....And his last.

Brian26
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
The Red Baron brought the crowd's cheers to a screeching hault.

WhiteSox5187
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
My God! Yaztremski was there. Cal Ripken making his first appearance, Sutcliff on the Indians and the Brewers in the AL!
And Dave Winfield gets booed?
I was wondering if that was from his letter to Bill Veeck saying he'd only consider offers from contending teams.

Viva Medias B's
08-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Did you notice that one of the reserves for the AL was...

:garyward

:fireward

salty99
08-16-2007, 10:55 PM
wow and what a loud ovation for the Cubs.

mwc44
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
The amount of future HOF'ers on the field that night was amazing.

palehozenychicty
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Dave Winfield got hated on, which was wild. :o:Also, the Milwaukee Brewers had some serious talent. They definitely underachieved during that era. That's a dope find. Thank you very much for bringing those players back. All of them real professional players.

tebman
08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Great game! Mrs. Tebman and I were there deep in the lower deck left-field corner behind two posts. We took a bunch of pictures with our little Instamatic camera, but it got lost somehow before the pictures were developed. Morganna the Kissing Bandit jumped out of the stands in front of our section on her way to kiss a player but was stopped before she crossed the foul line. Fred Lynn's grand slam, the AL rockin' the house that night, ahh, it was all good.

:thumbsup:

Railsplitter
08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Great seeing those guys from the early '80s [again]... :cool:

Between bruising my eyeballs seeing those loud yellow Pirates unis, or those powder blue Cardinal jammys... those uniforms typified '80s schlock. :D:

Actually, those unis were holdovers from the '70's.

Brian26
08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
The 1-2 hitters in the NL starting lineup were Steve Sax and Tim Raines. Nine years later, they'd be in the Sox lineup.

The Expos were loaded. Raines, Dawson, Carter and Oliver were all starters.

SBSoxFan
08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Dave Winfield got hated on, which was wild. :o:Also, the Milwaukee Brewers had some serious talent. They definitely underachieved during that era. That's a dope find. Thank you very much for bringing those players back. All of them real professional players.

Is that like a stupid streak?

Vernam
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Hard to comprehend all the Cub love going on in the stands. :?: I guess that was a kinder, gentler era, or maybe more Cub fans had the scratch to pay scalpers' fees.

After that, the most striking thing to me is how slim most of the players were, before today's modern nutritional practices.

Vernam

palehozenychicty
08-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Is that like a stupid streak?

:redface: Yeah.

downstairs
08-17-2007, 12:20 PM
JULIO FRANCO
* 22nd All Star Game *

SOXPHILE
08-17-2007, 12:28 PM
One thing I remember from watching that game: Fernando Valenzuela didn't make the NL team, but either Bowie Kuhn, or the NL president forced Whitey Herzog to take him. Herzog objected, because, well,...he wasn't selected. Then, during the NL introductions, when they introduced Valenzuela, I remember a loud, resounding "BOOOOO !" from the crowd. As he was putting his hat back on his head after tipping it, you could see him saying something under his breath, with this mad/shocked/embarrassed look on his face. (Herzog wound up not playing him in the game).

mrfourni
08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I noticed that the pitchers were in the batting order in 1983. Does anyone know when the dh started being used in all star games?

JGarlandrules20
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
That was awesome. The players look so different now a days, I think I'd rather be watching baseball from that era. And oh my goodness Herm! Lol.

I wish I could go back and watch some of the older sox teams.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Wow the Expos had 4 starters! I wonder if the fledgling ESPN had a bias towards them as they do now for the Red Sox and Yankees.

I had no idea Joe Torre used to coach for the Braves. He looked old then and that was 24 years ago!

Why was Lasorda booed?

Viva Medias B's
08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Hard to comprehend all the Cub love going on in the stands. :?:

During the 2003 All Star festivities, there were tons of Cub fans in the house. In fact, after the 2003 Home Run Derby, Sox and Cub fans got into a fight on the exit ramps!

Vernam
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
During the 2003 All Star festivities, there were tons of Cub fans in the house. In fact, after the 2003 Home Run Derby, Sox and Cub fans got into a fight on the exit ramps!Thanks, that makes me feel better! :wink:

Vernam

LongLiveFisk
08-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I envy you guys who were at that game. What a great memory that must be, in a time so far removed from today's steroid era that I feel taints the All-Star Game today. I wish I could have been there. I was 12 years old, so I was certainly old enough but my family was so dirt poor at the time there's no way in hell I would have been so lucky.

MeteorsSox4367
08-18-2007, 12:34 PM
That was a great find. Thanks so much. Watching those intros, you wonder what the hell ever happened to some of those guys. Matt Young? Pascual Perez? Bill Dawley? Wow.

It was neat to see the AL intros with the ovation for Kittle (one of my all-time favorite Sox) and Ripken and Brett (two of my all-time favorite non-Sox).

Was the PA announcer Wayne Messmer? It sounds like him.

It was just great to see the Old Comiskey in the sunlight on a summer night. Takes me back to high school again.

I actually got to go to the Old-Timers' Game the day before. Billy Williams hit a bomb into the upper deck in right that landed underneath the seat of my friend who was to my left. However, he was too slow to grab the ball and the guy next to him grabbed it.

Brian26
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Was the PA announcer Wayne Messmer? It sounds like him.

It was just great to see the Old Comiskey in the sunlight on a summer night. Takes me back to high school again.

Good call. I thought it was Messmer too.

That was the great thing about the arches at Old Comiskey. The westerly setting sun would peek through in the evening. It created a neat effect that made the stadium feel more open to the neigborhood, although I'm sure the rightfielders didn't like dealing with two sunsets for every game.