PDA

View Full Version : best leadoff man of the early 1970's

eastchicagosoxfan
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Who was the best leadoff man of the early 1970's?

Madvora
08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Well we started discussing this in the Rickey Henderson thread. It's either him or Ichiro Suzuki. I can't make my mind up on this one. I think I'd have to go with Henderson though.

The Racehorse
08-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Bake McBride was ROY in '74, if you consider that the early '70s... I always thought he had a great name. :cool:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Bake McBride was ROY in '74, if you consider that the early '70s... I always thought he had a great name. :cool:
We'll call that the mid 1970's. In 1974 at least, Brock was still the leadoff hitter on the Cards. I agree with you though, a great name.

Railsplitter
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Pete Rose. With that stance of his, you figure he had his share of walks.

A. Cavatica
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Did Rod Carew bat leadoff?

Wsoxmike59
08-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I had a tough time in choosing between Pete Rose and Lou Brock. Rose obviously because of his 4200+ hits, and Brock because of his 3000+ hits and numerous stolen bases.

In the end I went with Brock because of the 938 stolen bases. That was 700 more than Pete Rose had! Lou could single handedly change the course of a game with his speed.

But one could argue Rose had over 1200 more hits than Brock and thus had that many more chances to score being on base so often.

hose
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I went with Pete Rose with Lou Brock coming in 2nd.

Rose's obp and average was fantastic. Plus Pete scored a ton of runs but that is more to do with the Reds being the Big Red machine.

Rickey Henderson was the greatest lead off hitter in the history of MLB imo.

Noneck
08-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Did Rod Carew bat leadoff?

Very seldom. He was a 2 hitter.

Noneck
08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
The lefty-rightie combo: Pat Kelly (the original PK) and Walter Williams.

ode to veeck
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Rose's obp and average was fantastic. Plus Pete scored a ton of runs but that is more to do with the Reds being the Big Red machine.

I have to agree though Brock and Rose are pretty darn close with Brock a better base stealer and Rose the better obp

eastchicagosoxfan
08-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Henderson was the greatest leadoff hitter that I can think of. Hence why I didn't make a poll that could involve him. It would be too easy. This poll is about Rose and Brock, although an arguement could be made for Bobby Bonds. The rest of the guys are there as nostalgia, and to fill out the field. I voted for Brock, but statically, Rose had better numbers, and didn't strike anywhere near as often as Brock.

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2007, 12:26 AM
The lefty-rightie combo: Pat Kelly (the original PK) and Walter Williams.
:tealtutor:

ode to veeck
08-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Henderson was the greatest leadoff hitter that I can think of. Hence why I didn't make a poll that could involve him. It would be too easy. This poll is about Rose and Brock, although an arguement could be made for Bobby Bonds. The rest of the guys are there as nostalgia, and to fill out the field. I voted for Brock, but statically, Rose had better numbers, and didn't strike anywhere near as often as Brock.

Bobby Bonds was one of the most dangerous men at the plate in a close game, uncanily impossible to get out at times, like Ricky Henderson, if he needed and wanted to get on base and do something, at times it seemed like he could do it at will.

TornLabrum
08-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I voted for Brock because of the stolen base threat, but I could have gone either way.

Noneck
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
:tealtutor:
Thanks, How does one find out the names of all those colors? As I go over color, it only highlights it ,doesn't show the name.

Medford Bobby
08-17-2007, 03:17 PM
What no love for "Bee Bee" Richard??? :o:

http://www.baseballcardproject.com/Topps/R/1976/533.jpg

tick53
08-17-2007, 08:32 PM
I went with Charlie Hustle.

tick53
08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
What no love for "Bee Bee" Richard??? :o:

http://www.baseballcardproject.com/Topps/R/1976/533.jpg

I remember Bee Bee. (I was trying to forget too :D:)

TornLabrum
08-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I remember Bee Bee. (I was trying to forget too :D:)

I remember seeing Bee Bee scoring from second on a fly out. Never saw it before, haven't seen it since.

FarWestChicago
08-17-2007, 11:00 PM
The best leadoff man in the early '70's is either Brian Anderson or Chris Young. It depends on how much you value defense.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2007, 12:08 AM
The best leadoff man in the early '70's is either Brian Anderson or Chris Young. It depends on how much you value defense.

Chris Young can bench press over 400 lbs but Anderson has great hair which has to count for something. I'm talking the safe route and picking Frank Stallone.

http://gomorning.com/goodies/frank.jpg

Noneck
08-18-2007, 01:30 AM
I remember seeing Bee Bee scoring from second on a fly out. Never saw it before, haven't seen it since.

Yes, I was at that game, I believe it was Allen that hit one to center about 430 and Bee Bee tagged and went home.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Interesting Brian Anderson's name should arise, because I thought about him in regards to this thread. I figured The Roadrunner, Ralph Garr, to be on this poll, back from his days with the Braves. But he batted second. But I checked his stats, and he didn't become a productive player until he was 25. I thouht maybe there's hope for Brian Anderson.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Chris Young can bench press over 400 lbs but Anderson has great hair which has to count for something. I'm talking the safe route and picking Frank Stallone.

Damn. Good thinking, its. Always a good choice. :cool:

santo=dorf
08-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks, How does one find out the names of all those colors? As I go over color, it only highlights it ,doesn't show the name.

That picture was taken from a previous version of what the board was running on.

FarWestChicago
08-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Interesting Brian Anderson's name should arise, because I thought about him in regards to this thread. I figured The Roadrunner, Ralph Garr, to be on this poll, back from his days with the Braves. But he batted second. But I checked his stats, and he didn't become a productive player until he was 25. I thouht maybe there's hope for Brian Anderson.It doesn't matter how old BA is. No matter where he goes, Ozzie will find a way to screw him. It's inevitable.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, with just under 12 hours to go, Lou Brock has a one vote lead over Charlie Hustle. However, there seems to be a groundswell of support for Brian Anderson, which would make him baseball's first two decade player, competing in non-sequential decades.