PDA

View Full Version : Brandon McCarthy Possibly Out for Year

rowand33
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
from rotoworld:

Rangers placed RHP Brandon McCarthy on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Aug. 11, with a stress fracture in his right shoulder blade.

Uh oh. There was no sign this was coming, and with a 3.18 ERA in six starts since the break, McCarthy had been pretty effective lately. The Rangers have yet to elaborate on the injury, but it's hard to imagine McCarthy pitching again this year. This could turn into a major long-term issue for him. John Rheinecker will start in his place on Thursday. Aug. 15 - 5:18 pm et

Danks>BMac

Mr.1Dog
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
That's a shame.

Sockinchisox
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Yikes, I wonder if Kenny thought something like this would happen to him.

balke
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Get him while his trade value is low, make it happen Kenny!

Sorry, couldn't resist. This is not good news. I am rooting for BMac (heh) He really did look like he was gonna be special there for a little bit.

santo=dorf
08-15-2007, 05:47 PM
from rotoworld:

[/b]

Danks>BMac
Why don't you compare their numbers for this year before making such a bold claim?

The people who are saying "Danks is only 22" sound exactly like the people who two years ago were saying "McCarthy is only 22." Now those same people are willing to trash Brandon as if they always knew he was a born loser. :rolleyes:

5-8, 4.79 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 8 HR in 94 innings
6-10, 5.22 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 25 HR in 122.1 innings

Take a guess at which set of numbers belong to McCarthy.

I'm glad we have Danks, but it's really annoying to see some of our fans and biased announcers trash around former Sox players like Carlos Lee, Magglio, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson....etc.

balke
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Why don't you compare their numbers for this year before making such a bold claim?

The people who are saying "Danks is only 22" sound exactly like the people who two years ago were saying "McCarthy is only 22." Now those same people are willing to trash Brandon as if they always knew he was a born loser. :rolleyes:

I'm glad we have Danks, but it's really annoying to see some of our fans and biased announcers trash around former Sox players like Carlos Lee, Magglio, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson....etc.

Its tough to call someone better than the other with those #'s. One has a lower WHIP, the other has a lower ERA. One has more more HR's, but a higher hr total in more innnings.

That may be your point though.

RCWHITESOX
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
from rotoworld:

[/B]

Danks>BMac

MY lineup for 2008 for what it's worth C A.J. 1B Konerko 2B Hudson 3B Fields SS Greene LF Owens CF Rowand RF Dye DH Thome SP Buehrle, Vasquez, Harang, Saunders, & Danks Closer Jenks

thedudeabides
08-15-2007, 07:03 PM

A stress fracture is an overuse injury that you can't see coming. It's another injury that could happen to any pitcher because it is an unnatural movement of the shoulder. The only way Kenny could have known this would happen is if he had bad tendinitis or another injury they never let heal properly. I don't remember that injury.

munchman33
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM

You should revise your statement. Don't include Magglio in there. Anytime you refer to him as anything other than the trashy piece of ****/sad excuse for a human being that he is, you lose all credibility.

upperdeckusc
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM

other stats worth noting:
BMac = 54 k's, and has 2.5 yrs of MLB service under his belt
Danks = 96 k's. and has .75 yrs of MLB service under his belt

I'll gladly take danks, his stats, AND MASSET, over BMac's numbers anyday.

oeo
08-15-2007, 07:19 PM

First of all...we lost BA? :?:

Second, when have our 'biased announcers' ever 'trashed' those guys. You're full of it.

balke
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM

Second, when have our 'biased announcers' ever 'trashed' those guys. You're full of it.

They have said some things that don't paint them in the most positive light, but its not trashing. (Maggs was a bad baserunner with the Sox out of the box, Carlos Lee wasn't aggressive enough going into second.)

People on this board have destroyed Anderson once sent down to the minors though, I think that's what he meant.

oeo
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
They have said some things that don't paint them in the most positive light, but its not trashing. (Maggs was a bad baserunner with the Sox out of the box, Carlos Lee wasn't aggressive enough going into second.)

That's 'trashing' them? Hawk mentioned that Maggs would sit there and watch a ball he hit into the gap instead of running and that it frustrated him...big deal. And anyone that did not notice C-Lee's laziness was not paying attention. Not only would he not go into second hard, he would half-ass defense, would watch a long fly ball even if it wasn't hit long enough to go out, and would hardly ever run as well as he could (the man was not slow).

People on this board have destroyed Anderson once sent down to the minors though, I think that's what he meant.Well, if he didn't suck at everything in the box, people wouldn't complain.

dickallen15
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
other stats worth noting:
BMac = 54 k's, and has 2.5 yrs of MLB service under his belt
Danks = 96 k's. and has .75 yrs of MLB service under his belt

I'll gladly take danks, his stats, AND MASSET, over BMac's numbers anyday.
You're right. Pitching is all about the K's. Haven't the Cubs' pitching statff led the NL in strikeouts or been very close for several years now.

munchman33
08-15-2007, 07:35 PM
People on this board have destroyed Anderson once sent down to the minors though, I think that's what he meant.

I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with his tremendously dissappointing lack of production.

soltrain21
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Well, Carlos Lee WAS pretty lazy when he was here.

dickallen15
08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
That's 'trashing' them? Hawk mentioned that Maggs would sit there and watch a ball he hit into the gap instead of running and that it frustrated him...big deal. And anyone that did not notice C-Lee's laziness was not paying attention. Not only would he not go into second hard, he would half-ass defense, would watch a long fly ball even if it wasn't hit long enough to go out, and would hardly ever run as well as he could (the man was not slow).

Well, if he didn't suck at everything in the box, people wouldn't complain.
How come Hawk never said anything about it when they played for the Sox? With Magglio it was always, "what a player". You can make a case for almost every White Sox the past 3 or 4 years with exceptions obviously who didn't run hard immediately if at all. A lot of them are still on the team.

dickallen15
08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Hawk mentioned several times how hard he worked on his defense.

balke
08-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with his tremendously dissappointing lack of production.

OH dear lord, does every thread have to turn into a BA thread?

balke
08-15-2007, 07:54 PM

I didn't offer an opinion about it, I'm just noting what the original poster was referring to. The announcers do often make comments about these players, that's all I said. I also said it wasn't really "trashing".

soltrain21
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Hawk mentioned several times how hard he worked on his defense.

Really? He just seemed so out of it out there most of the time. Not Manny-esque..but close.

FarWestChicago
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
OH dear lord, does every thread have to turn into a BA thread?Unfortunately, yes. :mg:

soxinem1
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't remember, was this type of injury similar to what ended Mike Sirotka's career?

I for one never cared for the McCarthy bashing just because he is an ex-Sox. It was such a short time after people were touting him to be a full-time starter in 2006.

For what it is worth, Hawk does laud the players efforts when they are wearing the Sox uniform, then make little hints when the guy who replaces them makes a play that they 'could not'.

champagne030
08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Unfortunately, yes. :mg:

Well, The Great Oswaldo continues to ***** and hold a grudge.

Guillen sounded amused to hear that injured Charlotte outfielder Brian Anderson might play winter ball in Mexico after leaving the Venezuela after less than one month last October because of illness.

"If Brian played in Mexico, I want to see how long he stays there because when he was playing in Venezuela, it was a big league for winter ball," Guillen said. "The best place to stay, the best place to hang around. Mexico is a little different. The bus rides are a few hours, but we'll see.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070814soxbits,1,590136.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Why doesn't Ozzie just **** and worry about managing who's here!

santo=dorf
08-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Go back and read the game threads when we played the Tigers. It was the Sunday Gavin Floyd game http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1652954&postcount=3

....and my point about BA was directed towards people like YOU when he was sent down to AAA.

FarWestChicago
08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, The Great Oswaldo continues to ***** and hold a grudge.You are completely obsessed. You could at least attach your wagon to a better horse. You seem to hate most every athlete in Chicago, especially Bears players; yet you totally fixate on a never was (up to this point). :dunno:

champagne030
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
You are completely obsessed. You could at least attach your wagon to a better horse. You seem to hate most every athlete in Chicago, especially Bears players; yet you totally fixate on a never was (up to this point). :dunno:

Maybe you're obsessed. I don't ***** about Anderson anymore until someone else trashes the guy. I don't hate almost every athlete in Chicago. I do think some are given the "Cubune" treatment, when there's other players just as good on the same team. I don't fixate on BA....he's a lightning rod on this board. I know he got a raw deal, for the wrong reasons, and he's not going to be part of our future unless we get something in return in a trade. :smile:

ode to veeck
08-16-2007, 12:25 AM

Yeah , like referring to Brandon as BMAC (what happened to "fingernails on a chalkboard" aliasing!?) :?:

Huisj
08-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't remember, was this type of injury similar to what ended Mike Sirotka's career?

I for one never cared for the McCarthy bashing just because he is an ex-Sox. It was such a short time after people were touting him to be a full-time starter in 2006.

For what it is worth, Hawk does laud the players efforts when they are wearing the Sox uniform, then make little hints when the guy who replaces them makes a play that they 'could not'.

I think Sirotka had a torn labrum (along with half the pitching staff from the '00 and '01 seasons).

Guy_Incognito
08-16-2007, 03:10 AM
I think Sirotka had a torn labrum (along with half the pitching staff from the '00 and '01 seasons).

Good lord, if we could have had Eldred and Parque at full strength going into the 2000 playoffs, we definitely could have done something.

HomeFish
08-16-2007, 03:37 AM
Good lord, if we could have had Eldred and Parque at full strength going into the 2000 playoffs, we definitely could have done something.

Good lord. The messianic cult of Aaron Rowand is enough -- we cannot allow a messianic cult of Jim Parque to form.

Grzegorz
08-16-2007, 05:58 AM
I know he got a raw deal, for the wrong reasons, and he's not going to be part of our future unless we get something in return in a trade.

Right on... Read the latest from our fearless leader about the possibility of BA playing in Mexico. In a round about way the implication from the field manager is that BA wanted out of Venezuela so badly that he "got sick".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-soxbits15aug15,0,3981574.story

Personally I hope the Chicago White Sox trade the kid to get him away from these juvenile distractions.

munchman33
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
OH dear lord, does every thread have to turn into a BA thread?

:?:

You're the one who brought it up!

munchman33
08-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Oh, I don't know, probably because he wants Brian to succeed?

spiffie
08-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Good lord. The messianic cult of Aaron Rowand is enough -- we cannot allow a messianic cult of Jim Parque to form.
He did have a very solid 2000 season, and a healthy Parque might have been able to pull out a win for us in the playoffs. 13-6 with a 4.28 ERA (in a year when the league average was 5.17).

oeo
08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
How come Hawk never said anything about it when they played for the Sox? With Magglio it was always, "what a player". You can make a case for almost every White Sox the past 3 or 4 years with exceptions obviously who didn't run hard immediately if at all. A lot of them are still on the team.

Because he's not going to mention it while they're still in the organization. Hawk still says 'what a player' about Maggs (and a lot of other guys). He says that one small thing frustrated him, and that's tearing him to pieces? *****...you're just finding some to complain about.

oeo
08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Go back and read the game threads when we played the Tigers. It was the Sunday Gavin Floyd game http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1652954&postcount=3

Go back and read my post from earlier in the thread in which I mention both of those. Neither one was 'trashing' the player, and Hawk still has great things to say about both. Again, you're looking for anything and everything to whine about.

balke
08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
The one thing that Hawk ever said that really frustrated me was right after they traded CLee. Someone goes hard into second, and he railed on for a full inning about how some players weren't busting their butts on this team, and this team is a lot better for weeding those players out.

CLee is an all-star. His trade helped the team fill needs, but there's no need to fill the Sox fan's heads with ideas that he was lazy or hurt the team with his play. The guy hits 30-30 with 100 runs 100 RBI while playing a decent LF. He's going to do that for a long time. How does that hurt the team? Dogging it going into second or not, he's probably twice as fast as PK. That was a big load of crap coming from Hawk at the time. Why can't the Sox fans be happy with the trade because it brought in a good (pre-trade) lefty reliever and the best stolen base threat leadoff hitter in the game at the time, while allowing the Sox to make salary room going into the future and sign DH and AJ?

No need to bad mouth him. I do enjoy hearing Maggs get bad-mouthed from time to time though, just because of the way he left the organization and signed with a division rival.

Frontman
08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, The Great Oswaldo continues to ***** and hold a grudge.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070814soxbits,1,590136.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

God forbid he answers a question put before him.....

spiffie
08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
God forbid he answers a question put before him.....

The only appropriate answer would have been for Ozzie to fall to his knees and beg God for wronging BA, the Lord's only begotten baseball playing son. Anything else just isn't going to cut it.

oeo
08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
The one thing that Hawk ever said that really frustrated me was right after they traded CLee. Someone goes hard into second, and he railed on for a full inning about how some players weren't busting their butts on this team, and this team is a lot better for weeding those players out.

CLee is an all-star. His trade helped the team fill needs, but there's no need to fill the Sox fan's heads with ideas that he was lazy or hurt the team with his play. The guy hits 30-30 with 100 runs 100 RBI while playing a decent LF. He's going to do that for a long time. How does that hurt the team? Dogging it going into second or not, he's probably twice as fast as PK. That was a big load of crap coming from Hawk at the time. Why can't the Sox fans be happy with the trade because it brought in a good (pre-trade) lefty reliever and the best stolen base threat leadoff hitter in the game, while allowing the Sox to make salary room going into the future and sign DH and AJ?

No need to bad mouth him. I do enjoy hearing Maggs get bad-mouthed from time to time though, just because of the way he left the organization and signed with a division rival.

C-Lee was lazy. And like I said before, if you didn't notice it when he was here, you were not paying attention. He never 'turned it on' when he was running; he was a big guy, but he could move pretty quick and you hardly ever saw that. He was not even decent in LF, as a matter of fact he was awful.

Now he's become a ****ing fatass, so I can't imagine he's any better when it comes to work ethic.

slavko
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
I thought McCarthy's motion reminded me of Mark Prior and posted same, thus always regarded him as an injury risk. Still, I think we mishandled him and wish him the best.

balke
08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
C-Lee was lazy. And like I said before, if you didn't notice it when he was here, you were not paying attention. He never 'turned it on' when he was running; he was a big guy, but he could move pretty quick and you hardly ever saw that. He was not even decent in LF, as a matter of fact he was awful.

Now he's become a ****ing fatass, so I can't imagine he's any better when it comes to work ethic.

I like having more speed in LF for sure. But I'd rather see CLee in LF than Carl Everett in CF... Hawk never had a problem with Everett out there. I'm not going to say he was good at playing LF, but his arm was better than Pods and he would have a chance to gun you down at home, and his fielding percentage was perfect his last season here I believe, if not 99%.

oeo
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Right on... Read the latest from our fearless leader about the possibility of BA playing in Mexico. In a round about way the implication from the field manager is that BA wanted out of Venezuela so badly that he "got sick".

Nothing like making up some bull**** to prove your 'point.'

Personally I hope the Chicago White Sox trade the kid to get him away from these juvenile distractions.Yep, Brian Anderson has never been juvenile.

You know what? Ozzie wants results. If Lou Piniella was managing the Sox, and he some things to say about Brian Anderson, people around here would be on Lou's side. Ozzie has never even gone as far as Lou would if he didn't like BA...but I guarantee 90% of people here would be against Brian Anderson if Lou Piniella said he sucked.

Now, I can see how you may not trust Ozzie because he's still new to this job. But, with the successes Owens and Fields are showing after Ozzie gave them a kick in the butt, it's proving all you Ozzie-haters out there entirely wrong that he cannot handle young players. Maybe it's BA that can't handle the big leagues and some criticism.

champagne030
08-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Nothing like making up some bull**** to prove your 'point.'

How did he make anything up? That's EXACTLY what Ozzie's comments suggest.

To paraphrase Ozzie:

Venezuela was posh and BA wanted to be on the first plane home. How's he going to handle the hood while playing in Mexico? I don't believe he's going to play there.

balke
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM

To paraphrase Ozzie:

Venezuela was posh and BA wanted to be on the first plane home. How's he going to handle the hood while playing in Mexico? I don't believe he's going to play there.

NO, he said Mexico will have longer bus rides, and implied its less competitive and possibly less cushy. Nothing was said about the hood.

Longer bus rides would really suck if they are on dirt roads. That's not to say they only have dirt roads in Mexico, but they do have some, and they really suck to drive on.

TornLabrum
08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

To paraphrase Ozzie:

To directly quote Ozzie: "If Brian played in Mexico, I want to see how long he stays there because when he was playing in Venezuela, it was a big league for winter ball. The best place to stay, the best place to hang around. Mexico is a little different. The bus rides are a few hours, but we'll see."

I met Brian Anderson at a luncheon last summer. One of his comments struck me about his struggling last year. "This is the first time I've ever had trouble hitting at any level." In other words, he's never had to work on his hitting before.

He kind of reminds me of the kid who breezes through a high school with maybe 500 students with straight As and then goes into the engineering program at the U of I. He thinks college is a place where he can party (stories about Anderson indicate he wasn't shy of the night life in the big city), not realizing that the people he's competing against were a whole lot more challenged academically than he ever was.

Pretty soon the midterms come out and he's getting Ds and Fs. Now he has a choice. Work harder or flunk out.

Anderson had that choice in Venezuela and came home after a month. I don't blame Ozzie and Kenny from sending him to Charlotte, and I have no problems with Ozzie's comments now.

champagne030
08-16-2007, 12:22 PM
To directly quote Ozzie: "If Brian played in Mexico, I want to see how long he stays there because when he was playing in Venezuela, it was a big league for winter ball. The best place to stay, the best place to hang around. Mexico is a little different. The bus rides are a few hours, but we'll see."

I met Brian Anderson at a luncheon last summer. One of his comments struck me about his struggling last year. "This is the first time I've ever had trouble hitting at any level." In other words, he's never had to work on his hitting before.

He kind of reminds me of the kid who breezes through a high school with maybe 500 students with straight As and then goes into the engineering program at the U of I. He thinks college is a place where he can party (stories about Anderson indicate he wasn't shy of the night life in the big city), not realizing that the people he's competing against were a whole lot more challenged academically than he ever was.

Pretty soon the midterms come out and he's getting Ds and Fs. Now he has a choice. Work harder or flunk out.

Anderson had that choice in Venezuela and came home after a month. I don't blame Ozzie and Kenny from sending him to Charlotte, and I have no problems with Ozzie's comments now.

Did BA leave Venezuela because he caught a virus and lost 20 pounds or did he come home because he didn't want to put in the extra work?

TomBradley72
08-16-2007, 12:32 PM
He did have a very solid 2000 season, and a healthy Parque might have been able to pull out a win for us in the playoffs. 13-6 with a 4.28 ERA (in a year when the league average was 5.17).

Parque had a very good start against the Mariners in the play offs....but Jerry Manuel showed a complete lack of feel for the game by pulling him after he had shut down the M's...not a big Parque fan...but he pitched well that game.

Is it time for a "2000 post season" retropective? :cool:

jenn2080
08-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Of course he did. KW is so good he predicts the future.

:cleo

spiffie
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Parque had a very good start against the Mariners in the play offs....but Jerry Manuel showed a complete lack of feel for the game by pulling him after he had shut down the M's...not a big Parque fan...but he pitched well that game.

Is it time for a "2000 post season" retropective? :cool:
I'd be curious to know Parque's pitch count when he got pulled. He did 3 ER in 6 innings, but maybe if healthy he's able to go 7 or 8 (maybe he could have anyhow, don't remember well enough) and we don't get Howry and Bradford coughing up a run in the 7th.

SBSoxFan
08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd be curious to know Parque's pitch count when he got pulled. He did 3 ER in 6 innings, but maybe if healthy he's able to go 7 or 8 (maybe he could have anyhow, don't remember well enough) and we don't get Howry and Bradford coughing up a run in the 7th.

hhmmm ... do you worry much about pitch counts in the playoffs? As I recall, Parque seemed to be in quite a grove and was rolling through the M's lineup. No way the Sox get 4 straight complete games let alone one if Manuel is managing the 2005 ALCS.

Frontman
08-16-2007, 02:01 PM

To paraphrase Ozzie:

Clearly you've never been to Venezuela.....

spiffie
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
hhmmm ... do you worry much about pitch counts in the playoffs? As I recall, Parque seemed to be in quite a grove and was rolling through the M's lineup. No way the Sox get 4 straight complete games let alone one if Manuel is managing the 2005 ALCS.
You don't worry much, but knowing what we know about Parque's shoulder if his PC was at 100-110 pitches or so, or even slightly lower due to the injury, he might not have been able to go another inning.

kittle42
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
List of people who suck so far: Danks, Masset, McCarthy

Jury's still out.

Grzegorz
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Did BA leave Venezuela because he caught a virus and lost 20 pounds or did he come home because he didn't want to put in the extra work?

If the kid lied about being sick dump him. If the kid cannot mature than dump him. As for Ozzie's comments there is no reading between the lines from that article; implications abound.

BTW, this quote " The best place to stay, the best place to hang around." Where geographically did OG mean?

JUribe1989
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM

I completely agree with you, except I'm all for trashing Maggs and I won't lie about that. There is absolutely no reason to hate McCarthy, he held no ill will when the Sox traded him, and he has had a reasonably good year. The ratio of home runs to Danks' ratio is much higher on Danks part. I am a Danks fan, but McCarthy put together a pretty good year for what was supposed to be a fifth starter's year. McCarthy pitched a little better than Danks this year statswise, and he also had more quality starts, so what's the point in rejoicing him missing the rest of the year. And, Texas is probably being extra careful with him considering they are WAY out of the race.

thomas35forever
08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Of course he did. KW is so good he predicts the future.

:cleo
Took the words out of my mouth. We all know KW is the savior around here next to Aaron Rowand.:cool:

soxinem1
08-17-2007, 12:53 AM
If the kid lied about being sick dump him. If the kid cannot mature than dump him. As for Ozzie's comments there is no reading between the lines from that article; implications abound.

BTW, this quote " The best place to stay, the best place to hang around." Where geographically did OG mean?

Agreed. The same situation as with Jon Rauch, and his was supposedly a misunderstanding. A month later, he's gone.

INSox56
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
If the kid lied about being sick dump him. I agree, but seriously....does anyone really think he made that up? He lost a ton of weight. You'd have to be pretty dedicated to a lie to starve yourself and lose 20 pounds...