PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bummer in the Summer 08.14.07 Postgame thread

hi im skot
08-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Um, I guess I'll start it...

We had our chances...not much else to say tonight.

DrewSox56
08-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Um, I guess I'll start it...

We had our chances...not much else to say tonight.

Says it for me.

Special mention to the 1st base ump - Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 12:34 AM
That call was terrible to end the game. Owens was safe by plenty. Methinks the ump wanted to go home since this game wasn't exactly pivotal to the pennant drive.:mad:

Anyway, Garland got victimized by a bunch of solo homers. It wasn't too bad of a start outside of the homers. I don't know if anyone has noticed but the bats have certainly gotten quiet the past couple days. Oh well. At least Fields hit another dinger.

JB98
08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Fields had a Manos-like sixth inning tonight. His bat giveth, and his glove taketh away. That fourth run turned out to be huge.

I thought Fields would get an opportunity for redemption in the ninth, but unfortunately, the first-base umpire must have been in a hurry to get back to the hotel. It's a shame because I think Fields matches up well with Embree.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2007, 12:42 AM
This is a typical game in Oakland, the starter getting screwed by his defense, the offense can't come through and getting screwed on calls.

BainesHOF
08-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Awful call by the first base umpire to end the game. I wonder how he blew that one. It was that bad.

WhiteSox5187
08-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Is it just me or have we ran ourselves out of a lot of opportunities? I mean, really, this team is just bad on the basepaths.

Domeshot17
08-15-2007, 02:06 AM
As much as this sucks, The game was not lost by the umps. Yes Owens was safe, did it take a replay or 2 to prove it? probably. Umps don't get replays, Coach's don't get challenges. It was pretty bang bang. We did this to ourselves. We left a lot of guys on, and we gave them too many chances. Garland pitched fairly well, but another start where he got a way with leaving a lot of pitches up. He has to get back to working down in the zone. This is one of those games that stings because we lost but we weren't beaten. Shrug it off, come back tomorrow, or in the scheme of things, shrug this disaster of a season off, and come to win next year.

Think about it this way. The reason our farm sucks is because we don't get top 10 picks, not because we don't draft or develop well. The umps and poor play did us a favor tonight, because it moved us 1 game closer to a top 10 pick.

Honestly the discouraging thing for me is really how bad our farm system is. Richar hitting .188, Sweeney .200 Anderson .188 Terrero .224 Gonzalez .227 Owens .249. Its freakling pathetic. When we will hold the coaches in the minors responsible for not getting these kids ready to play in the bigs? We have had 1, 1 kid come up and help this year, and as promising as he looks, isn't really doing all that great. Fields right now has a very pedestrian .761 ops. Floyd had 1 good stat and terrible again. Forget all the championship hype, Brooks should change our 2007 campaign to "Oh Well, We Guess the Kids CANT play".

Im just glad I am not Kenny Williams. He has 3 choices. You go the Yankee Boston Cub route and make a run at top free agents (and whens the last time we signed one of those) to try and win. You pray to god our kids get on some of the oakland juice and play like major leaguers and not like guys who might fail to hit .300 in this years little league world series, or you trade the few good pieces you have for a bunch of average pieces that only slightly improve your weak spots.

MisterB
08-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Honestly the discouraging thing for me is really how bad our farm system is. Richar hitting .188, Sweeney .200 Anderson .188 Terrero .224 Gonzalez .227 Owens .249. Its freakling pathetic. When we will hold the coaches in the minors responsible for not getting these kids ready to play in the bigs?

1. KW fired the head of amateur scouting (who also ran the drafts) and the head of player development, so obviously he is aware that they have problems in that area.

2. I wouldn't throw Terrero on that list. Yes, he's relatively young, but he's already a journeyman AAA player and was just brought in for CF depth. The bad news is the top 3 guys on the depth chart for CF (Erstad, Anderson and Terrero) have all had injuries of some kind this year. (Although for Erstad that shouldn't have been a big surprise).

3. What is a 'freakling' and just how pathetic is one? :D:

Grzegorz
08-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Richar, Sweeney, Anderson, & Owens have to be given time to prove that they belong. I am not too concerned at the record of this ball club this year. I'd like to see the above talent evaluated so that some kind of evaluation can be made by KW.

I want this strain back on the track.

(Yes, I know that BA is hurt. That is why his play in winter ball is the key determinant in his future with the Chicago White Sox.)

wassagstdu
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
I want this strain back on the track.

Good slogan for 2008.

ndgt10
08-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Andy Gonzalez is a bad, bad player. I would absolutely love to see him never play for the sox again. Brutal.

Sad
08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
can't even beat a crappy Oakland team...

Tragg
08-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Look at this team...Ozzie needs a PH in the 9th down 2, looks at his bench, and the best hitter he has is Erstad - a hitter with no power and who has a near zero chance of tying the game up and a very small chance of hitting himself into scoring position. And that's not the fault of injuries - that's the way this team was set up to start the season. Erstad does his job, but ends up on 1st, so we still need 2 more hits just to tie - and we lose. Get some major league hitters on this bench next year.

It would be nice if Anderson, Sweeney, Richar, Owens and even Fields were ahead of where they are. (Danks and Floyd too). (Richar has a decent obp compared to his BA - he works counts, suprisingly a rare skill on this team considering all of the slap hitters we have).
But they aren't. They are all we've got.
This season is lost so give them an unabated chance to play.
What's the alternative? Give more at bats to more mediocre veteran hackers?

Plenty of young players take a while to mature. There's no point in being impatient at this point in the season.

Get Sweeney up here - let him join the party.

As for free agents, what stud hitters are available after this year? None that I know of.
And we need a couple.

palehozenychicty
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
we're in oakland, and winning more than a game will be a shock for this series. just let the kids keep playing. :(:

MisterB
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Look at this team...Ozzie needs a PH in the 9th down 2, looks at his bench, and the best hitter he has is Erstad - a hitter with no power and who has a near zero chance of tying the game up and a very small chance of hitting himself into scoring position. And that's not the fault of injuries - that's the way this team was set up to start the season. Erstad does his job, but ends up on 1st, so we still need 2 more hits just to tie - and we lose. Get some major league hitters on this bench next year.

It would be nice if Anderson, Sweeney, Richar, Owens and even Fields were ahead of where they are. (Danks and Floyd too). (Richar has a decent obp compared to his BA - he works counts, suprisingly a rare skill on this team considering all of the slap hitters we have).
But they aren't. They are all we've got.
This season is lost so give them an unabated chance to play.
What's the alternative? Give more at bats to more mediocre veteran hackers?

Plenty of young players take a while to mature. There's no point in being impatient at this point in the season.

Get Sweeney up here - let him join the party.

As for free agents, what stud hitters are available after this year? None that I know of.
And we need a couple.

Wow, even when Erstad isn't in the lineup you find a way to complain about him...

MCHSoxFan
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
.Get some major league hitters on this bench next year.

This is why we should have KEPT ROB MACK!!!!!!

JermaineDye05
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
This is why we should have KEPT ROB MACK!!!!!!

Have people forgotten about Pablo Ozuna?

tdwiek
08-15-2007, 02:34 PM

This is a great point. Losing Ozuna took away some great bench speed, defense and hitting.

Unfortunately this year has been a combination of many issues, one being injuries to a significant number of players.

FielderJones
08-15-2007, 03:19 PM
This is a great point. Losing Ozuna took away some great bench speed, defense and hitting.

You're right on two out of three.

JB98
08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
You're right on two out of three.

Yeah, Pablo is a subpar defender, but at least he can play multiple positions and not totally disgrace himself.

We really do miss his offense. Look at the right-handed hitters on our team. The only one above .250 is Konerko.

MCHSoxFan
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM

Nope. Actually, 2 weeks ago, I was talking to Brooks Boyer in the office entrance and Ozuna walks in. We both say hello and I say, "Man, you are looking a lot better!" He smiled. Really, he looks like he could play now and most certainly in 2008.

Tragg
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Wow, even when Erstad isn't in the lineup you find a way to complain about him...
You'll be happy to know that he is playing 1B and batting 5th tonight.....for the AL's worst offense and for a team that's 10 below .500 and dropping.