PDA

View Full Version : Alex Sanchez in September?

rowand33
08-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I know that he got suspended for performance enhancing drugs, and he was only signed by charlotte to fill out the roster

BUT

he's killing it down there, since coming to charlotte, he's hitting .364 with a .909 OPS, now, granted it's only in 22 Abs. but if he keeps it up for the whole month of August, do you think we'll call him up in september to see if he can do it at the big league level?

He's had pretty good success in the American league in the past.

In 2003 with Detroit, he stole 44 bags and hit .282 in 163 ABs.
In 04 with Detroit, he hit .322 and stole 19 bags in 332 ABs
and in 05 with TB, he hit .346 in 133 ABs and sported a nice .839 OPS.

and his career line is .292/.330/.372 in 1527 ABs

He's crap in the field, but has makeup speed. He's also not a great base stealer despite that he's so fast (68% success rate). I'm not saying he has the potential to start for us, but with his speed and a career .292 batting average, I think there's a decent chance he could be helpful off the bench.

Think there's any chance we'll give him a look?

Mr. White Sox
08-15-2007, 12:18 AM
I think Sanchez is in his 30's, so it really can't be that tough to hit AAA pitching if you're a major-league vet. See: Timo Perez.

That being said, if he gets called up, do the Sox have to make room on the 40-man? If they have to make room, I say he doesn't get called up, and if they don't, then he'll get a callup.

rowand33
08-15-2007, 12:26 AM
I think Sanchez is in his 30's, so it really can't be that tough to hit AAA pitching if you're a major-league vet. See: Timo Perez.

That being said, if he gets called up, do the Sox have to make room on the 40-man? If they have to make room, I say he doesn't get called up, and if they don't, then he'll get a callup.

He's 30.

I have no idea about the 40-man roster thing.

Oblong
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Alex Sanchez absolutely sucks. He has speed but it's of no use if you can't get on base. At one point in the middle of the season his batting average was higher than his on base percentage.

I can't see him being of any use for the Sox unless it's just to win games for pride and to not develop anybody else. Throw some kids out there. Sanchez had his shot at the major leagues and we know he's not any good.

FloridaTigers
08-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, Alex Sanchez was a joke of a fielder and player.

Domeshot17
08-15-2007, 03:18 AM
In case you guys didn't notice, we had Andy Gonzalez playing OF and leading off tonight. Hes hitting .227 and Ozzie led him off. If that ****ing joke of a baseball player gets to be on the roster, why not someone who actually HAS hit above Juan Uribe's weight in triple A?

rowand33
08-15-2007, 01:04 PM
In case you guys didn't notice, we had Andy Gonzalez playing OF and leading off tonight. Hes hitting .227 and Ozzie led him off. If that ****ing joke of a baseball player gets to be on the roster, why not someone who actually HAS hit above Juan Uribe's weight in triple A?

I agree with this. Andy Gonzalez hit something like .240-something in AAA and he's got a spot.

Surely a guy that's doing well in AAA and has a career .292 AVG in the majors is worth a look.

and after last night he's hitting .423 so far down in AAA.

CLR01
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Just say no to the 'roider.

rowand33
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Just say no to the 'roider.

the roider's up to .419 with a 1.032 OPS.

If August 30th comes up and he's still doing this good, I'm gonna be upset if he isn't worth a roster spot but andy gonzalez is.

balke
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
He's going to have the most disturbing signs and taunts in MLB if he gets called up. Don't take your kids to those games.

chaerulez
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree with this. Andy Gonzalez hit something like .240-something in AAA and he's got a spot.

Surely a guy that's doing well in AAA and has a career .292 AVG in the majors is worth a look.

and after last night he's hitting .423 so far down in AAA.

Gonazalez is also 24 and never played in MLB. He's still a prospect. You know what you have with Sanchez, and it ain't much. Why waste time playing him when we could take a look at younger players?

balke
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Gonazalez is also 24 and never played in MLB. He's still a prospect. You know what you have with Sanchez, and it ain't much. Why waste time playing him when we could take a look at younger players?

Sanchez does have the makings of a leadoff hitter. 52 Sb's in 2003 and he gets on base at a .330 clip, which is the same as Pods.

What's his D like, anyone know? Decent arm?

upperdeckusc
08-16-2007, 11:44 AM

maybe because he has had no success in the minors, no success in the majors, and, besides physically fitting the role, has not impressed me at all this yr. sanchez has impressed me in the past, has impressed me in AAA with Charlotte, and maybe getting caught for roids motivated him to work even harder to get back to the success he once had. i'd love to see him come up and tear it up. then he can be a decent option for us next yr either on the bench or trade him for something decent. buy low sell high

CLR01
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
the roider's up to .419 with a 1.032 OPS.

If August 30th comes up and he's still doing this good, I'm gonna be upset if he isn't worth a roster spot but andy gonzalez is.

Good for him, maybe we should buy him a cookie. Thumbs down to the cheater.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Alex Sanchez absolutely sucks. He has speed but it's of no use if you can't get on base. At one point in the middle of the season his batting average was higher than his on base percentage.

I can't see him being of any use for the Sox unless it's just to win games for pride and to not develop anybody else. Throw some kids out there. Sanchez had his shot at the major leagues and we know he's not any good.

That is a freak occurrence cause by limited ABs, not walking, not getting HBP but having some sac flys. It doesn't really mean much.

Gammons Peter
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Good for him, maybe we should buy him a cookie. Thumbs down to the cheater.

you people crack me up. he didnt do anything different that AT LEAST half of all of baseball players have done

CLR01
08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
you people crack me up. he didnt do anything different that AT LEAST half of all of baseball players have done

I'll buy you an "I support 'Roiders" button that you can wear on your Bonds jersey.

rowand33
08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I'll buy you an "I support 'Roiders" button that you can wear on your Bonds jersey.

You have a very close-minded attitude about this.

My view of the situation:

1) Sanchez was suspended. He hasn't failed any drug test since then. To me, he's paid his debt. You can't continue to punish people forever for making one mistake.

It's not like he hasn't paid the price. He's a .292 career hitter that can't do any better than a minor league contract with the charlotte knights. This set his career back years.

2) we have no idea what exact substance he used or if he took it knowingly. That performance enhancing substance list is pretty broad. At the time of the suspension his stance was:
He denies taking any performance enhancing drugs and blames the positive test on over-the-counter vitamins, muscle relaxants and protein shakes that he takes, but has not identified any specific medications as of yet.
source: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Alex_Sanchez_suspended_for_drugs

Maybe the protein powder he uses is from his native country and has a pro-hormone in it that isn't illegal there but is here. Maybe he was using a fat burner that found its way on that list.
Maybe this is like Barry's "flax seed" excuse
Who knows.
It's impossible for us to judge his intent, and unless we're bud selig we don't know what substance it was.
We don't really know if his crime was ignorance or if he intended to cheat.

3) I think Josh Hamilton is one of the best stories in baseball this year. I think most people would agree with that. How is a guy like sanchez that different?

Both had the crime of putting banned substances in their body, , both are trying to get their life back together.

Sure, performance enhancing drugs and recreational drugs are VERY different.

But the point is, how come getting you life together and rebounding from one is a triumph but getting your life together and rebounding from the other results in scorn?

Bottom line People make mistakes. To me, it doesn't matter what the player has abused. As long as he's committed to staying clean and producing, they deserve a shot.

People deserve a second chance.

upperdeckusc
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
You have a very close-minded attitude about this.

My view of the situation:

1) Sanchez was suspended. He hasn't failed any drug test since then. To me, he's paid his debt. You can't continue to punish people forever for making one mistake.

It's not like he hasn't paid the price. He's a .292 career hitter that can't do any better than a minor league contract with the charlotte knights. This set his career back years.

2) we have no idea what exact substance he used or if he took it knowingly. That performance enhancing substance list is pretty broad. At the time of the suspension his stance was:

Maybe the protein powder he uses is from his native country and has a pro-hormone in it that isn't illegal there but is here. Maybe he was using a fat burner that found its way on that list.
Maybe this is like Barry's "flax seed" excuse
Who knows.
It's impossible for us to judge his intent, and unless we're bud selig we don't know what substance it was.
We don't really know if his crime was ignorance or if he intended to cheat.

3) I think Josh Hamilton is one of the best stories in baseball this year. I think most people would agree with that. How is a guy like sanchez that different?

Both had the crime of putting banned substances in their body, , both are trying to get their life back together.

Sure, performance enhancing drugs and recreational drugs are VERY different.

But the point is, how come getting you life together and rebounding from one is a triumph but getting your life together and rebounding from the other results in scorn?

Bottom line People make mistakes. To me, it doesn't matter what the player has abused. As long as he's committed to staying clean and producing, they deserve a shot.

well put. he's already been punished. if he deserves a chance, plain and simple, give it to him.

CLR01
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Y2) we have no idea what exact substance he used or if he took it knowingly. That performance enhancing substance list is pretty broad. At the time of the suspension his stance was:

That's a very popular stance. Do a search of players suspended for using performance enhancer and tell me how many have used the old "It must have been the supplement, or whatever" excuse. Tell me, has he released the details of what exactly he was taking OTC yet?

Maybe the protein powder he uses is from his native country and has a pro-hormone in it that isn't illegal there but is here. Doesn't really matter if it was legal in his country or not. He doesn't play baseball in his country.

Maybe he was using a fat burner that found its way on that list.Sure but that goes with the OTC excuse which still seems to be a mystery.

Sure, performance enhancing drugs and recreational drugs are VERY different.The test they use are a hell of a lot more reliable for detecting recreational drugs than they are constantly evolving performance enhancement drugs. When they can detect nearly every PE available to a player then we'll talk about how his results, if he is still clean then fine.

Some.

getonbckthr
08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Lets say he did take it unknowingly, why not speak up about it? Look at Obemi (sp) Ayanbadejo the Bears FB. He failed a performance-enhancement test got suspended and is now filing a lawsuit against the company who makes the supplement. If you were misled file a claim.

Domeshot17
08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
While I in no way support steroid use, where is Sanchez originally from? I know Ozzie Guillen has spoken up several times about educating people who live in central america because the stuff they sell OTC, a lot of it can make you test positive for something. This includes products that have the same name in the US and in say the DR.

balke
08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
While I in no way support steroid use, where is Sanchez originally from? I know Ozzie Guillen has spoken up several times about educating people who live in central america because the stuff they sell OTC, a lot of it can make you test positive for something. This includes products that have the same name in the US and in say the DR.

I think in part this is what got Ozzie so paranoid about latino players being somewhat singled out in this investigation. I imagine there's no FDA there, and I would imagine it would be pretty easy to have taken a steroid if you were buying OTC supplements.

Oblong
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
In some cases even the same product from one country to the next will have a different ingredient. I was told by a player's publicist that an olympic athlete from England was suspended because the Bayer used in England is different from the Bayer usedin the states.

That said... avoid Sanchez regardless of PED's. He's bad at baseball. He's not still in the major leagues because of his talent, not because of his suspension.

balke
08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
In some cases even the same product from one country to the next will have a different ingredient. I was told by a player's publicist that an olympic athlete from England was suspended because the Bayer used in England is different from the Bayer usedin the states.

That said... avoid Sanchez regardless of PED's. He's bad at baseball. He's not still in the major leagues because of his talent, not because of his suspension.

His hitting looks better than Owens, with more potential stolen bases. I haven't seen him play D. But if Pods is gone, and Sanchez can play lead-off and CF, than he could be a starter for this team, if not a 4th OFer.

rowand33
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
His hitting looks better than Owens, with more potential stolen bases. I haven't seen him play D. But if Pods is gone, and Sanchez can play lead-off and CF, than he could be a starter for this team, if not a 4th OFer.

I support Sanchez getting a look in September to be our 4th or 5th outfielder next year.

He should NOT be starting for us. He's extremely fast, but is a terrible base stealer and is as bad of a CF as Pods.

His biggest asset is his ability to hit.

If he starts for us, the Royals will pass us.

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I know that he got suspended for performance enhancing drugs, and he was only signed by charlotte to fill out the roster

BUT

Think there's any chance we'll give him a look?

http://www.ghostdroppings.com/images/photodroppings/janet.jpg