PDA

View Full Version : Why did Foulke pitch the ninth?

MikeKreevich
04-07-2002, 09:18 AM
There have been a few management moves in this young season that didn't seem right, bunting Konerko to second with no outs for example, but none to this point that positively cost us a game. I thought that pitching Foulke in the ninth yesterday fits into that category. We've all heard the analogy about getting back on the horse that threw you but I don't think that Keith Foulke needed to ride yesterday. Instead of using your best and most valuable reliever in a game with no chance of losing, I wanted Manuel to give someone else the closers role. He could and should have brought in Osuna or Glover. Any one else surprised to see Foulke pitch the ninth?

Pete Ward
04-07-2002, 09:57 AM
I wanted Manuel to give someone else the closers role

Thats not going to happen. Foulke is the closer. He was trying to get him confidence after the Seattle game.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

He was trying to get him confidence after the Seattle game.

agreed

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

agreed

Probably wanted to get him some work.Can't let the
arm get too weak.

Paulwny
04-07-2002, 10:55 AM
Foulke said he was having trouble with his mechanics, this was a test to see if it improved.

HawkDJ
04-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Yeah I don't see much of a problem with it. He needed work and he got work. The same thing with Howry. They both have their confidence up. I only wish we could've gotten Marte some work instead of having Howry pitch 2 innings because Marte is the only pitcher in the bullpen not coming off of a scoreless outing.

harwar
04-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Putting Foulke in was a no-brainer.As soon as we got a nice lead i was waiting to see if Jerry would use him in the 9th.If he had missed this perfect opportunity to get Foulke back on track i would have been severly disappointed.WTG J.M.

CubKilla
04-07-2002, 12:37 PM
What can it hurt trying to give everyone in the pen some work during a blowout considering the problems the Sox pen has had. An inning-and-one-third of scoreless, hopefully hitless, baseball can do wonders for a relief pitchers psyche..... even during a rout.

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Putting Foulke in was a no-brainer.As soon as we got a nice lead i was waiting to see if Jerry would use him in the 9th.If he had missed this perfect opportunity to get Foulke back on track i would have been severly disappointed.WTG J.M.

I was actually expecting Glover - he too has had mechanical problems that have lead to big innings. Supposedly he has fixed them. I was hoping JM would use the blowout to give him some time, but the Foulke thing made more sense. Got to get the closer on track, ASAP if you want to have a big early season...

doublem23
04-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I was actually expecting Glover - he too has had mechanical problems that have lead to big innings. Supposedly he has fixed them. I was hoping JM would use the blowout to give him some time, but the Foulke thing made more sense. Got to get the closer on track, ASAP if you want to have a big early season...

I guess we'll just have to blow today's game out, too to give Glover some work. :smile:

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I guess we'll just have to blow today's game out, too to give Glover some work. :smile:

Now you're talking...

GO SOX!!!

CubKilla
04-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

I'll take another blowout..... and the fact that I can rest my head tonight knowing if the Sox win they're back at .500.