PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Yankee Stadium a review

kaufsox
08-14-2007, 12:34 AM
So, had to go to NYC for research and decided to take in a little fun as well. Luckily, the Sox were in town and I not only got to go to Yankee Stadium, but got to see the Sox as well. The short review, in a word, is: dump! I couldn't be less impressed. First, the walkways/concourses were terrribly cramped and contained many bottlenecks that made the getting around the stadium very difficult. Next, the seating was very poor. We had excellent seats behind homeplate, but they were so cramped that it was a bit uncomfortable, especially because I was at the marathon 2nd inning game. I'm not a tall man (5' 9") and my knees were hitting the row in front of me and I'm not a large man (175 lbs) and was quite pinched in the seats. To quibble a bit, there weren't even cup holders. I know that is a bit petty, but even Wrigley could figure out cup holders. The field itself wasn't very impressive either. I knew logically that the lines were short, but seeing it in person made it real. 318 down left and 314 to right are very cheap and it didn't disappoint two of the Sox home runs would have been fly outs anywhere else. The only positive for the physical aspects of the Stadium that I can muster are the restrooms. They were clean and for a 50K crowd, not very busy.

Other aspects of the park that really didn't do much for me were the food, souvenirs and atmosphere. The food was just average and kind of like the cup holder complaint, they gave out packets of mustard. What is this, a high school football game? This is supposed to be the premier team of MLB, get some mustard pumps. I did like the gift shop, but the choices were pretty limited, very little from other MLB teams and the choices for men and kids were nothing to write home about. I did find the women's selection very good, so I was able to get my wife a nice shirt. Finally, atmosphere. To hear ESPN tell it, Yankee fans are, to almost directly quote Chris Berman " a little more knowledgeable, a little more into the game." rubbish. The crowd seemed to be made up from either tourists, like me, or your basic crank, like any other park. The fans around me spent more of their time complaining about the heat than watching the game. And what many Yankee fans have complained about when going to USCF is all of the between inning activity. It may come as a shock to Yankee fans, but they do all of the same stuff, for the most part. No, they don't have the Pride team, but they do the scoreboard stuff. The reason people don't think the Yankees do these things is that the sound system is absolutely terrible. I could barely make out the music or announcements. If I wasn't looking toward the scoreboard, I would have never known the "hat game" was going on.

After all of that, I'm glad I went and got to see the Stadium before they implode it for a parking lot in 2009. I definitely don't need to go back in its final year, and wouldn't return if it was going to remain. Like I said, a dump.

Fenway
08-14-2007, 01:19 AM
The weekend crowd at YS is vastly different from a weeknight. The 70's renovation simply eliminated the obstructed views and 10,000 seats. All stadiums overkill on the video board because of revenue. My biggest complaint is the garbage.

kaufsox
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
The weekend crowd at YS is vastly different from a weeknight. The 70's renovation simply eliminated the obstructed views and 10,000 seats. All stadiums overkill on the video board because of revenue. My biggest complaint is the garbage.

Didn't notice much garbage, but it also didn't strike me as a well kept place. Also I was at the Thursday "get away" game, perhaps day games v. night games also makes a difference in the crowd.

CashMan
08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
First, the walkways/concourses were terrribly cramped and contained many bottlenecks that made the getting around the stadium very difficult.

Next, the seating was very poor. We had excellent seats behind homeplate, but they were so cramped that it was a bit uncomfortable, especially because I was at the marathon 2nd inning game. I'm not a tall man (5' 9") and my knees were hitting the row in front of me and I'm not a large man (175 lbs) and was quite pinched in the seats.

To quibble a bit, there weren't even cup holders. I know that is a bit petty, but even Wrigley could figure out cup holders.

The field itself wasn't very impressive either. I knew logically that the lines were short, but seeing it in person made it real. 318 down left and 314 to right are very cheap and it didn't disappoint two of the Sox home runs would have been fly outs anywhere else. The only positive for the physical aspects of the Stadium that I can muster are the restrooms. They were clean and for a 50K crowd, not very busy.

I went about 2 weeks ago, when the Sox were in NY and I must say:

1. Wasn't that crowded, everyone was pretty much in their seats.
2. The seating was fine, we sat in the RF area where the foul pole was, and I am 5'9 240, and I had plenty of room.
3. I will give you the cup holders.
4. I was indifferent about the field, it was ok.

I would say Wrigley is more of a dump then Yankee stadium. It was an experience, I would go back again, and I must say, everyone was pretty nice, on the Subway and at the game. Although Beer was $8 a bottle.

C-Dawg
08-15-2007, 07:17 AM
I was there a month ago; I wanted to see both NY parks before the hype of the "Historic Final Season" crops up next year. Feel free to check out my pics in the WSI Image Gallery under the "Other Parks" heading.

I thought Yankee Stadium was very cool, especially how the narrow corridors make it seem like is an old 20s-era theatre. I don't think I've ever seen that area on TV. The seating areas were definately showing their age - if you think the blue seats at USCF were faded, you should really see the ones at Yankee Stadium! The scoreboard and videoscreen were very old-school too, although I'm sure the videoscreen is much newer than the 1975 renovation. The fans were, well, OK; decent enough but I couldn't really describe them as smart or stupid or anything noteable. Even though we were rooting for Toronto, the guys next to us (Yankee fans) offered to get us drinks when they got up to go to the concourse.... Maybe that is common there?