PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Passan article "Ozzie Ball Goes Flat"

rowand33
08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-ozzieguillen081307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SoxxoS
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
No mention of possibly the worst bullpen in baseball the last 10 years...at least until recently? Ozzie can't pitch for them.

3 minutes of my life I'd like back.

palehozenychicty
08-13-2007, 12:31 PM
No mention of possibly the worst bullpen in baseball the last 10 years...at least until recently? Ozzie can't pitch for them.

They were pretty bad last year as well. We saw why Seattle is contending despite average offensive statistics. An excellent bullpen and middle defense will win you a lot of games.

Grzegorz
08-13-2007, 12:56 PM
"The mood around the team Sunday was status quo. A.J. Pierzynski complained about having to autograph for Kids Day at U.S. Cellular Field."

Hmm, words can really do damage (provided someone reads your column).

soxfanatlanta
08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-ozzieguillen081307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I'm trying to figure out the point to this article...

voodoochile
08-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Who the **** is Jeff Pissant?

rowand33
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm trying to figure out the point to this article...

that's what I thought.

I think these are the cliff notes:

the white sox won the world series in 2005 when ozzie guillen was manager.
the white sox are bad in 2007 and ozzie guillen is still the manager.Go figure.

oeo
08-13-2007, 01:57 PM
They were pretty bad last year as well.

They were not good, but not nearly as bad as this year's. Over that stretch from about mid-May until recently, the ERA was up in the 7's. That's awful...I would take last year's bullpen in a heart beat; we would easily be about 5 games better.

We saw why Seattle is contending despite average offensive statistics. An excellent bullpen and middle defense will win you a lot of games.

We have a pretty solid defense...not sure why you brought that up. And Seattle's offense is above average; it's actually pretty damn good.

soxfanatlanta
08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
that's what I thought.

I think these are the cliff notes:

the white sox won the world series in 2005 when ozzie guillen was manager.
the white sox are bad in 2007 and ozzie guillen is still the manager.Go figure.

Is there an "Observing the Obvious Award" we can give Jeff Passan?

Tragg
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
We have a pretty solid defense...not sure why you brought that up.
It's not the championship quality it was. CF isn't as good, RFer is slowing down, the SS is excellent, but per this report, his head isn't in the game all too often; our 3B is a nice young player but he's not Crede. It's not a weakness, but it's not a strength either. A stud young CF would be nice.

The offense is the worst in the league. The bullpen was as well, for much of the year.

Ozzie keeps the team playing hard and confidently....that's the most important job of the manager. I think he went way overboard on his slap-happy offense, and hope Williams makes some major offseason adjustments in personnel.

oeo
08-13-2007, 06:07 PM
It's not the championship quality it was. CF isn't as good, RFer is slowing down, the SS is excellent, but per this report, his head isn't in the game all too often; our 3B is a nice young player but he's not Crede. It's not a weakness, but it's not a strength either. A stud young CF would be nice.

And yet it's still comparable to Seattle's. That's my point...Seattle's defense isn't head and shoulders above ours.

The offense is the worst in the league. The bullpen was as well, for much of the year.

Seattle's is? :?:

JB98
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
"The mood around the team Sunday was status quo. A.J. Pierzynski complained about having to autograph for Kids Day at U.S. Cellular Field."

Hmm, words can really do damage (provided someone reads your column).

That was an unnecessary cheap shot at AJ.

TDog
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM

The bullpen hasn't been that bad lately, and even when it was horrible, it wasn't losing as many games as some other teams' bullpens this year.

As a matter of comparison, as we all know the Cubs are a contending team, the Cubs bullpen has 22 losses this year. I think the Cubs' record is 6 games better than the White Sox' record, but the White Sox bullpen has 17 losses. That's a lot, of course. It looks like both the Detroit and Cleveland bullpens have about 17 losses each.

Of course, that doesn't take into account games in which Guillen went too long with his starter for fear of going to a reliever who wouldn't get the job done. It also doesn't figure in close games with the starter losing in part because White Sox relievers let the game get away from them in the late innings.

And saying the White Sox bullpen isn't much worse than the bullpens of the Cubs, Indians and Tigers isn't bestowing much of a compliment.