PDA

View Full Version : Fenway Park organist wanted White Sox job

Fenway
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.ballparktour.com/Organist10.jpg

I never made the connection until yesterday.

Fenway Park organist Josh Kantor during the minor league DH at Fenway had more time to fill than usual. During a pitching change he played "Runaround Sue" which I found curious.

So having a full access ID I went up to the EMC Club where the organ is located and kidded with him "You stole that from Nancy Faust"

He beamed "Sure did, she is my idol"

Anyhow we got to talking and Josh is from Chicago and he thought Nancy had the best job in the world.

He then stunned me by saying when Nancy gave up night games ( and he verifies that it was her choice ) Nancy herself recommended Josh to the White Sox and was told "we don't really want organ music anymore".

Josh is good and this year the Red Sox have increased his playing time but he would go home in a heartbeat. He mentioned a Globe article from 2 years ago which speaks for itself.

As a boy, Kantor watched the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park, thinking how much fun it would be to play there -- the organ, not baseball. ''When I got the job here, I called the woman who has played for the White Sox for 36 years. She invited me to her home and gave me lots of good tips. It was the thrill of a lifetime."

That would be Nancy Faust, who began playing for the White Sox in 1970. Recently the team held a ''Nothing But Nancy Day," in which she got to play all of the music, with no competition from recorded pop. She also got to throw out the first pitch. But she knows she's a dinosaur; when she retires, she won't be replaced.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/07/23/a_key_player/?page=full
Ok Brooks SPIN this.....

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2007, 08:34 PM
If what Fenway is reporting is true, it's a shame.

Nancy's organ music really sets the Sox game experience apart. I really don't like the canned music.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I suggest someone send this comment by Fenway in its entirety to Brooks to see what he says.

Lip

Dan Mega
08-12-2007, 08:41 PM
He then stunned me by saying when Nancy gave up night games ( and he verifies that it was her choice ) Nancy herself recommended Josh to the White Sox and was told "we don't really want organ music anymore".

I really, really, really hope they don't do away with organ music. :(:

MDF3530
08-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Nancy is in a class by herself.

Fenway
08-12-2007, 08:49 PM

She invited Josh to her home, that alone speaks volumes.

Kantor was almost an afterthought at Fenway but this season they have given him more airtime....and fans love it.

But now we know that somebody with a resume is available.

goon
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I want organ music.

ilsox7
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM
One of the few awful moves by Brooks if true.

thomas35forever
08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Nancy has stuck with this club through thick and thin. If Brooks wants to do away with organ music while we all love it, he deserves to be shown the door.

itsnotrequired
08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
One of the few awful moves by Brooks if true.

Don't you like R-O-W-D-I-E?

WLL1855
08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
She invited Josh to her home, that alone speaks volumes.

Kantor was almost an afterthought at Fenway but this season they have given him more airtime....and fans love it.

But now we know that somebody with a resume is available.

God help us, sign this kid. Nancy deserves a legitimate successor.

rdwj
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I just can't, for the life of me, understand why they'd want to get away from organ music

itsnotrequired
08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I just can't, for the life of me, understand why they'd want to get away from organ music

Casual fans.

MDF3530
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
One of the many awful moves by Brooks if true.
Fixed it.

ilsox7
08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Casual fans.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the majority is ruling on this issue. I understand the Sox need to play to the majority in many situations, but this is one where I think they should stick to some tradition.

ilsox7
08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Fixed it.

Brooks has been phenomenal overall.

Fenway
08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Casual fans.

This quote from the Red Sox PR guru says it all

Red Sox vice president Charles Steinberg, who hired Kantor, acknowledges the sentimental value of organ music while tipping his hat to the recorded stuff. ''We try to do either of two things at every game: make a child fall in love with baseball, or remind an adult where, when, and why they fell in love with baseball," he says. ''That's why it's essential to use the organ and pop music at Fenway."

soltrain21
08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) has seemed to have gone away, also. It wasn't played the other night when we ran Washburn. Obviously this year has not given many opportunities for it to be played, but this was a perfect situation and it was non existent.

Brooks, we want the organ.

Fenway
08-12-2007, 11:41 PM

This is a no brainer

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2007, 11:56 PM
The big problem with canned "pop" music is that it's so hard to appeal to a broad spectrum of musical tastes. I hate most of what they play in sports arenas. Organ music is organ music, and even though I'd never listen to it anyplace else, it fits at sporting events.

It's Dankerific
08-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Honestly, this just sounds crazy. PURE crazy. (Not the post/poster, but the idea that the majority doesnt want organ music.)

Does anyone think either of these conversations have happened???

a) Man, I'd sure go to a bunch more white sox games, but I can't stand the damn organ music
or
b) Forget pitching and defense, and even the Homerun, I'm not here for baseball tradition, I go to the whitesox game for some cool canned Pop music!!!!

It would seem to follow that things that make you unique (ie cool organ music instead of 15-sec top 40 snips) would increase the uniqueness of your event, and make more people want to experience it.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the majority is ruling on this issue. I understand the Sox need to play to the majority in many situations, but this is one where I think they should stick to some tradition.

Domeshot17
08-13-2007, 12:33 AM
To use a bad cliche, when the organ music goes, its going to feel like we really sold out. The thing that stings is ultimately that is what separates us from the North Side. We have the tradition of being the more knowledgeable, old fashioned, hardcore fans where the Cubs have wrigley and a huge beer garden, a big party. We are organ music. I respect a lot of what Brooks has done, but this is a big mistake.

ilsox7
08-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Honestly, this just sounds crazy. PURE crazy. (Not the post/poster, but the idea that the majority doesnt want organ music.)

Does anyone think either of these conversations have happened???

a) Man, I'd sure go to a bunch more white sox games, but I can't stand the damn organ music
or
b) Forget pitching and defense, and even the Homerun, I'm not here for baseball tradition, I go to the whitesox game for some cool canned Pop music!!!!

It would seem to follow that things that make you unique (ie cool organ music instead of 15-sec top 40 snips) would increase the uniqueness of your event, and make more people want to experience it.

It may sound crazy, but it apparently is true. Why would the Sox conduct surveys that ask this exact question and then not follow the results of their survey?

TheOldRoman
08-13-2007, 01:05 AM
It may sound crazy, but it apparently is true. Why would the Sox conduct surveys that ask this exact question and then not follow the results of their survey?Well, of the people who cared strongly about the issue, one way or the other, I would imagine that 99% of them wanted organ music. But their surveys determined that the people who cared the most were the old school, hardcore fans that would still come to the games anyway.

They are going to push the envelope as far as they can with those fans in an attempt to turn the sox experience into a hybrid of a bulls game and a carnival. Not many fans would be so fed up that they wouldn't return, but they are guessing that a lot of fans will say "you can drink beer, look at half dressed girls dancing between innings, and listen to Lil' Wayne and Nelly. Greatest night of my life!"

IlliniSox4Life
08-13-2007, 07:04 AM
This is just sad. I was under the impression that the reason a successor had not been brought in for Nancy was that "there just isn't anyone out there anymore who is good at playing the organ". I didn't like it, but I couldn't really blame anyone. Well apparently this guy is pretty good, and apparently he would love the job. I won't stop going to games overall because of the music, but when the Sox are *cough* playing bad baseball and out of the race mid-August, the atmosphere of baseball is one of the few things that keeps the diehards coming back (and they are the only ones who are coming). Removing organ music is removing a big chunk of that atmosphere, and one less reason for me to go to the ballpark when the team is not winning.

Recently the team held a ''Nothing But Nancy Day," in which she got to play all of the music, with no competition from recorded pop.
Remember when every day used to be nothing but Nancy day?

Foultips
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
This is just sad. I was under the impression that the reason a successor had not been brought in for Nancy was that "there just isn't anyone out there anymore who is good at playing the organ". I didn't like it, but I couldn't really blame anyone. Well apparently this guy is pretty good, and apparently he would love the job. I won't stop going to games overall because of the music, but when the Sox are *cough* playing bad baseball and out of the race mid-August, the atmosphere of baseball is one of the few things that keeps the diehards coming back (and they are the only ones who are coming).

Remember when every day used to be nothing but Nancy day?

I heard him 3 weeks ago and I thought Boston had hired Nancy as he is very good. We were dancing to 'Build Me Up Buttercup'

DeadMoney
08-13-2007, 07:52 AM
The ballpark 'feel' just isn't the same without the organ music and it always feels like something is missing without it. Wish we had a full-time organist still, but with the lack of many day games, it's almost as if Nancy and the organ is getting phased-out.

skobabe8
08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
This whole issue really bothers me. Whoever is behind it is missing out on a huge opportunity to do something unique and meaningful to alot of people.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Red Sox vice president Charles Steinberg, who hired Kantor, acknowledges the sentimental value of organ music while tipping his hat to the recorded stuff. ''We try to do either of two things at every game: make a child fall in love with baseball, or remind an adult where, when, and why they fell in love with baseball," he says. ''That's why it's essential to use the organ and pop music at Fenway."

Steinberg is a master of presentation and leaves NOTHING to chance. Brooks should call this guy for advice as he has done wonders in Baltimore, San Diego and now Boston. His presentation of the World Series banner 2 years ago had 35,000 people in tears. He did it again with the 1967 team this season.

John Kiley was the Boston organist from 1933 to 1989 ( and was with the Braves from 1941) and also played at Boston Garden. How many thousands of games started with his simple "National Anthem" When Carlton Fisk hit the famous HR in 1975 he played the hallelujah chorus as Fisk raced home. Perfect!!!!!

John Kiley plays our National Anthem (http://www.shermfeller.com/Anthem.mp3)

I doubt one person has ever said "I'm not going to a White Sox game because of Nancy Faust"
well maybe he did
http://www.rhodesschool.com/blog/img/f15326/rod%20whitesox.jpg

But there have been many that went to a game BECAUSE of Nancy.

whitem0nkey
08-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I need more cowb...uh.. i mean organ!

spiffie
08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
To use a bad cliche, when the organ music goes, its going to feel like we really sold out. The thing that stings is ultimately that is what separates us from the North Side. We have the tradition of being the more knowledgeable, old fashioned, hardcore fans where the Cubs have wrigley and a huge beer garden, a big party. We are organ music. I respect a lot of what Brooks has done, but this is a big mistake.
Of course the funny thing is the beer garden up north still has their organist playing there, and you actually hear the organ a decent amount there. Which tells me that organ music is definitely not scaring off the casual fan, since that place draws about 2.5 million of them each year (I assume at least a few folks at each home Cubs game are actual hardcore fans).

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Of course the funny thing is the beer garden up north still has their organist playing there, and you actually hear the organ a decent amount there. Which tells me that organ music is definitely not scaring off the casual fan, since that place draws about 2.5 million of them each year (I assume at least a few folks at each home Cubs game are actual hardcore fans).

Wrigley Field could play nothing but the Backstreet Boys and it would still sell out.

HerzogVon
08-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Organ music was - and ought to continue to be - as much a part of baseball as the "Mighty Wurlitzer" was once part and parcel of the Chicago Stadium. Canned music, on the other hand, is a blight polluting both our ears and minds. It's as omnipresent as bad taste itself. As for the Boston plan of combining the two; that won't work, either. Once a compromise is made, the lowest common denominator is bound to prevail.

As a longtime fan of Classical Music, I have observed that which I most love slowly approach extinction. The same will inevitably happen with organ music at ballparks, as indeed it already is. Trying to "reach out to young people" with half-assed appeals will only backfire, hastening the process. ( See Classical crossover. ) This is a typical example of the self-fulfilling prophecy. No! The only answer is to hold fast.

Of course, a "culture" that produces reality TV and such gems as "American Idol" probably will end up getting what it deservers.

[ Written with the spirit of Donald Vroon looking over my shoulder. ]

Fenway
08-13-2007, 09:30 AM
The Yankees had beloved organist Eddie Layton retire and replaced him with two guys.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Eddie_Layton.jpg

When the Yankees would rally he would play
Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there -
That the Yanks are coming,
The Yanks are coming,
The drums rum-tumming
Ev'rywhere.

I suppose we have Tommy Edwards to blame for all this as he was responsible for the Bulls becoming a music experience the first team in any league to do so.

sLdsCw5px1k

Fenway
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
email from Brooks

This is the first I have ever heard the name Josh Kantor and I have never said “we don’t really want organ music anymore.”

I or anyone on my staff would never say what was written directly to Nancy. Not only would it not be true, it would be mean thing to say to a person that is part of the White Sox family and is passionate about her craft. I know we are much more respectful than that and I am certain Nancy knows she is wanted and respected here.

I guess I should not be shocked, but I don’t how this guy forms his opinion. I took my kids and my niece to see Nancy in her booth yesterday. I think it has been made pretty clear how I/we feel about Nancy.

Considering Mr. Kantor works for another Club, I cannot comment on his ability or about him ever potentially working here. I can say that he has picked a good person to emulate.

Brooks

my reply
Brooks

Please consider what the Boston exec that hired Kantor said...I think he nailed how most of us feel

and this is how Nancy herself was quoted 2 years ago in the Boston Globe

That would be Nancy Faust, who began playing for the White Sox in 1970. Recently the team held a ''Nothing But Nancy Day," in which she got to play all of the music, with no competition from recorded pop. She also got to throw out the first pitch. But she knows she's a dinosaur; when she retires, she won't be replaced.
''The instrument has totally fallen out of favor with the young," she says, ''so where are you going to find someone to play today's music on an instrument that nobody plays?" She attributes her longevity to her adaptability: ''I never got stuck in the 'Alley Cat' mode." She also has a sense of humor. When a naked man streaked onto the field on opening day in the late 1970s, Faust countered with ''I Got Plenty O' Nuttin.' " (When Boston comes to town, she always plays the theme from ''Cheers.")
Though she says she felt threatened when recorded music arrived several years ago, Faust says she has learned to live with it. In fact, it gives her more time to talk to the fans, take in the game, and pose for pictures

Procol Harum
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I think WSI is gonna have to be proactive with this issue as a prime voice for real Sox fans--hopefully they'll have the sense to listen. I don't mind a couple of uses for canned music (the decision to use "Thunderstruck" was a rare gem) during a game--I can see that the intensity/excitement level of desired frenzy during the t-shirt tosses works a lot better with some driving rock number as opposed to Nancy playing "Baby Elephant Walk." Bottom line, however, is there's plenty of room for Nancy and her successor's organ music.

Give me more Wurlitzer, baby!

Fenway
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Brooks Boyer to me
show details
10:55 am (0 minutes ago)
I don’t mean to continue to beat a dead horse here, but no one from the White Sox EVER said “she won’t be replaced.” That was a writer…..who is not even from Chicago.

Where would Globe writer Bella English get that from???.....those words HAD to come from Nancy herself

The reason I missed this story 2 years ago was that was when I was in Northwestern Memorial Hospital.....

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Brooks Boyer to me
show details
10:55 am (0 minutes ago)
I don’t mean to continue to beat a dead horse here, but no one from the White Sox EVER said “she won’t be replaced.” That was a writer…..who is not even from Chicago.

Where would Globe writer Bella English get that from???.....those words HAD to come from Nancy herself

The reason I missed this story 2 years ago was that was when I was in Northwestern Memorial Hospital.....

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3117

BainesHOF
08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't think the Sox trust the game experience enough, and basically ditching of the organ is an example of that. All of the garbage between innings, and, yes, it is pure garbage, is another, more blatant example.

I like Brooks, and he's done a lot of good for us, but this area is not one of them. And let's not have anyone kid themselves: Our attendance increase is directly related to the 2005 World Series championship just as the Bulls sellout streak was directly related to Michael Jordan and the six NBA titles. Our attendance increase has nothing to do with the ditching of the organ and the inane between-inning garbage.

And while we're on the subject of music, can we at least get someone in charge of the non-organ music to have a little imagination and taste? Why are the Sox seemingly so eager to cater to programmed teenagers? It's not like they personally shell out the money to buy a lot of tickets. And in general, teenagers these days have bad taste or no taste in music. Music sales and the charts will back that up. They're more into computers and IMing, cell phones and text messaging, and video games. Music, and particularly good music, isn't on their radar. So why exactly are the Sox trying to cater to them in this area?

Fenway
08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
The White Sox could be creative in this

How about an "American Idol" type of competion to pick a new organist with Nancy herself as one of the judges.

There are 8,000,000 people in Chicago.....somebody must remember how to play a keyboard....

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't think the Sox trust the game experience enough, and basically ditching of the organ is an example of that. All of the garbage between innings, and, yes, it is pure garbage, is another, more blatant example.

I like Brooks, and he's done a lot of good for us, but this area is not one of them. And let's not have anyone kid themselves: Our attendance increase is directly related to the 2005 World Series championship just as the Bulls sellout streak was directly related to Michael Jordan and the six NBA titles. Our attendance increase has nothing to do with the ditching of the organ and the inane between-inning garbage.

And while we're on the subject of music, can we at least get someone in charge of the non-organ music to have a little imagination and taste? Why are the Sox seemingly so eager to cater to programmed teenagers? It's not like they personally shell out the money to buy a lot of tickets. And in general, teenagers these days have bad taste or no taste in music. Music sales and the charts will back that up. They're more into computers and IMing, cell phones and text messaging, and video games. Music, and particularly good music, isn't on their radar. So why exactly are the Sox trying to cater to them in this area?

It isn't just the Sox. Many people today simply don't have the attention spans to sit through a baseball game without other distractions. And this isn't just teenagers and kids but a lot of adults. Blame the media, blame the entertainment industry, blame the Internet, blame whatever. It is part of culture these days.

Personally, I would love to go to a game where the only sound comes from Gene Honda. No music, no sound effects, nothing. All you hear is the sound of the crowd, the ball hitting the mitt, etc. I also recognize that this is never going to happen.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
It isn't just the Sox. Many people today simply don't have the attention spans to sit through a baseball game without other distractions. And this isn't just teenagers and kids but a lot of adults. Blame the media, blame the entertainment industry, blame the Internet, blame whatever. It is part of culture these days.

Personally, I would love to go to a game where the only sound comes from Gene Honda. No music, no sound effects, nothing. All you hear is the sound of the crowd, the ball hitting the mitt, etc. I also recognize that this is never going to happen.

Baseball isn't as bad as what hockey and basketball have become. At a Bruins game you can't hear yourself think during stoppages in play.

Law11
08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't you like R-O-W-D-I-E?

Or the Day-Oh chant 100 times..
I mean just look at how jacked up the fans get for the XM song of the inning with the goofs dancing on the dugouts..

MrRoboto83
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
IMO I believe the White Sox are going to faze out the organ in a way they think no one will notice. They will continue to limit Nancy's playing time until she is only playing Sunday day games, then finally gone for good. I'm sure they are drooling over to turn her booth into some money making seating area, like the Skol Vodka Club or something.

According to Nancy she has no idea if she will be back next season. She is more or less on a year to year basis. Even if Brooks does feel that way about Nancy, I don't think he is communicating to her very well to have her on edge like that.

Whatever people believe the truth is Nancy's hours were reduced, it was her idea to just play day games to make things easier. If it was up to her, she would be playing all the games.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 11:11 AM
From what I understand Hal personally knows Nancy.

If I was in his position I'd ask her directly, on the record, about this issue and use her answer(s) as a basis for one of his weekly columns.

Lip

TDog
08-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The big problem with canned "pop" music is that it's so hard to appeal to a broad spectrum of musical tastes. I hate most of what they play in sports arenas. Organ music is organ music, and even though I'd never listen to it anyplace else, it fits at sporting events.

Baseball organ music music, and Nancy Faust in particular, is a genre all its own. Until I moved west and started going to games in San Diego, where there was no live organ, I didn't realize how lucky I was to grow up to have a masterful organist creating a special baseball atmosphere. What you hear is dependent on the flow of the game. It's spontaneous and part of the game. Canned music, even the in-your-face stuff, is sterile and separate from the game.

Live organ music is about the purity of the game.

ilsox7
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM

If I was in his position I'd ask her directly, on the record, about this issue and use her answer(s) as a basis for one of his weekly columns.

Lip

I thought he asked her last year and she was very clear, on the record, that it was her idea to cut back her hours. Every single source I've read has said it was her idea to cut back.

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I thought he asked her last year and she was very clear, on the record, that it was her idea to cut back her hours. Every single source I've read has said it was her idea to cut back.

No one ever reads my posts.:(:

:happybday

Fenway
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM

The issue isn't Nancy cutting back....it is what the White Sox plan to do after Nancy

Notice that Brooks did not respond to the Boston exec saying both pop music and organ music were essential at Fenway.

I know Nancy lives far from USCF and the drive has taken its toll on her. She deserves nights off....but for the games she can't work SOMEBODY could do it.

ilsox7
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Ever since your streak ended last week, I just cannot look at you in the same way. You're tainted. :cool:

MrRoboto83
08-13-2007, 11:44 AM

Problem is we all want to know information off the record.

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Ever since your streak ended last week, I just cannot look at you in the same way. You're tainted. :cool:

You just can't stand being in my shadow.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=wsfanfoto&gallery_id=794360&image_id=34

:redneck

Jerko
08-13-2007, 11:49 AM

The very least they can do is get a different pride crew girl on the mic when they show the kid going for a homer on the fundamentals deck. That chick's voice goes thru my head like a nail. I also love when the fans yell for the "noise meter", like it really works. It's a cartoon people!!! It moves the same if you yell or don't yell.

TornLabrum
08-13-2007, 12:04 PM
IMO I believe the White Sox are going to faze out the organ in a way they think no one will notice. They will continue to limit Nancy's playing time until she is only playing Sunday day games, then finally gone for good. I'm sure they are drooling over to turn her booth into some money making seating area, like the Skol Vodka Club or something.

According to Nancy she has no idea if she will be back next season. She is more or less on a year to year basis. Even if Brooks does feel that way about Nancy, I don't think he is communicating to her very well to have her on edge like that.

Whatever people believe the truth is Nancy's hours were reduced, it was her idea to just play day games to make things easier. If it was up to her, she would be playing all the games.

Which is precisely the opposite of what she told me in December of 2005 when she said that she had made the offer during her contract negotiations to play only opening night, day games, and the post season.

MrRoboto83
08-13-2007, 12:06 PM
The very least they can do is get a different pride crew girl on the mic when they show the kid going for a homer on the fundamentals deck. That chick's voice goes thru my head like a nail. I also love when the fans yell for the "noise meter", like it really works. It's a cartoon people!!! It moves the same if you yell or don't yell.

I find it humorous how on the Lotto Ball Contest or the XM radio contest, #3 is always the winner, shows how many people are really paying attention that they don't even start watching till the 3rd person is dancing or Lotto Ball is mentioned. The Sox need to seriously rework all this minor league entertainment, I find it embarrassing bringing someone new to the park.

MrRoboto83
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Which is precisely the opposite of what she told me in December of 2005 when she said that she had made the offer during her contract negotiations to play only opening night, day games, and the post season.

Which is why she is speaking on the record, I'm interested in the off the record feelings to be published.

Edit: Do you think Nancy wants to risk her job to tell us all what really happened or is happening? I know she is telling us what she has been instructed to tell us.

TornLabrum
08-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Lip
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3117 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3117)

I had this conversation with her and with Brooks over a year ago.

TornLabrum
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Which is why she is speaking on the record, I'm interested in the off the record feelings to be published.

I've told you what Nancy told me privately at the WCSF Holiday Party in December of 2005, months before I published anything on the subject (April or May 2006). She told me pretty much the same thing (except I don't have the exact quote because I wasn't taking notes at the party since it was a conversation) as I wrote when I called her in the spring.

As far as quoting people off the record, I have a good relationship with both Nancy and Brooks, and I'm not going to quote anything they've told me off the record. If I need quotes from either of them for a column, I'd like to actually get them instead of having the phone slammed down on me.

I feel no compunctions about telling about my conversation with Nancy since she said the same thing in our conversation. I've also had off the record conversations with Brooks, and I can at least say this: nothing he has said off the record comes even close to the hypothesis that there will be no organ music after Nancy retires.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Here is an old picture of Nancy

http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/galleryF/faust-nancy001.jpg

1972 Sunday Tribune Magazine with Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood

1973 Sox Park Take Me Out to the Ballgame(mp3) (http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/galleryF/1973%20Take%20Me%20Out%20to%20the%20Ballgame%20Nan cy%20Faust.mp3)

1972 Sox Park pre game music(mp3) (http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/galleryF/faust72soxpark.mp3)

soxinem1
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I want organ music.

I'll be honest with you, it is not the same.

I am only a fan of organ music at the ballgames, and I find it a shame that it is dealt away with like old drink cups. Just a shame.

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
The very least they can do is get a different pride crew girl on the mic when they show the kid going for a homer on the fundamentals deck. That chick's voice goes thru my head like a nail. I also love when the fans yell for the "noise meter", like it really works. It's a cartoon people!!! It moves the same if you yell or don't yell.Better yet, dump the pride crew completely. One of the worst notions the current marketing team has come up with.

Also, as the other poster said earlier, the between innings stuff is horrible. Those dumbed down quizzes sponsored by RUSH are by far the worst addition of this season's spots on the board. Organ music should always be a part of the Sox gameday experience. C'mon Brooks you talk a good game about selling tradition - prove it to us by keeping the organ in play - whether it is Nancy or a disciple like this cat in Boston.

LITTLE NELL
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Baseball, Apple Pie and Organ Music.

Jerko
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I actually miss "STRETCH" when they elongate fans' faces on the scoreboard. Have to hear the "medical minute" instead. :rolleyes: I'd prefer all organ music, all the time if I had my druthers.

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Better yet, dump the pride crew completely. One of the worst notions the current marketing team has come up with.

Also, as the other poster said earlier, the between innings stuff is horrible. Those dumbed down quizzes sponsored by RUSH are by far the worst addition of this season's spots on the board. Organ music should always be a part of the Sox gameday experience. C'mon Brooks you talk a good game about selling tradition - prove it to us by keeping the organ in play - whether it is Nancy or a disciple like this cat in Boston.

As terrible as the Pride Crew is, there are still hundreds of people twice a game that are fighting each other for a $5 t-shirt...and these are in sections heavy with season ticket holders.

The Rush quizzes are pretty easy for a fan who only casually follows the team but are pretty tough for someone who has only been to a handful of games in their lives. And snot-nosed kids know even less.

Again, this isn't the Sox fault. Teams that don't consistently have near-capacity crowds do what they need to do to attract additional fans. The season ticket base of 20,000 or so will more or less always be there. It's filling the other 20,000 seats that can be a challenge.

Any out-of-area posters able to comment on other teams promos? Fenway? oblong?

TDog
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Here is an old picture of Nancy

http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/galleryF/faust-nancy001.jpg

1972 Sunday Tribune Magazine with Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood...

I remember seeing that in some waiting room. That was a truly great summer, and not just because it was the last summer before I had to start working during the summer.

AZChiSoxFan
08-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Casual "fans".

Fixed it for ya.

soxfanatlanta
08-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Atlanta has used their version of the pride crew for several years now, based on what I am reading here - they are received in the same way; long timers rolling their eye...unless a t-shirt flies their way.

Turner field has a ginormous scoreboard that is pretty much the main source of entertainment (if you can call it that) in between innings: it's hard to think when the volume is so damn high. They used to have the grounds keepers rush out into the field and grade the infield with the William Tell Overture playing in the background during the 5th inning - but alas that has stopped.

In a nutshell - it's very a very sterile environment there. Cannot hold a candle to singing Runaround Sue during a Sox rally.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Fenway is pretty low keyed actually. They don't have ANY freebie nights outside of giving a magnetic schedule on Opening Day. Plenty of companies would love to do it but they don't ant to be bothered.

Usual stuff on the video board, trivia, subway race..... but very little on field as they WANT fans to go to the concession stands betwen innings

soxfanatlanta
08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Usual stuff on the video board, trivia, subway race..... but very little on field as they WANT fans to go to the concession stands betwen innings

Now I know why the folks at Turner field crank up the volume to 11 in between innings: to chase you away to concessions. :smile:

AZChiSoxFan
08-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Well, I remember that after Fenway was in Phx in June, he commented on all the minor league gimmicks that the D-backs have. I agreed with him. I have pretty much stopped going to D-backs games because they just feel like minor league games. Too bad because the team isn't too bad this year.

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2007, 02:32 PM
[quote=itsnotrequired;1659656]The Rush quizzes are pretty easy for a fan who only casually follows the team but are pretty tough for someone who has only been to a handful of games in their lives. And snot-nosed kids know even less. [quote]

Anyone can answer most of those quizzes. Once in a blue moon they'll have a quiz with some questions that a casual fan wouldn't know. But that is far more the exception than the rule. Most of them consist of questions like "how many games do they White Sox play - 41 or 162?" and "What are the White Sox colors." Those are the rule and they are inane and irritating. Get rid of them, stat.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I remember that after Fenway was in Phx in June, he commented on all the minor league gimmicks that the D-backs have. I agreed with him. I have pretty much stopped going to D-backs games because they just feel like minor league games. Too bad because the team isn't too bad this year.

Brutal

On field stuff is great in the minor leagues but it isn't needed at the MLB level.

Ome thing that has to end is the Yankees ground crew doing Y M C A ( that has gotten old )

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Anyone can answer most of those quizzes. Once in a blue moon they'll have a quiz with some questions that a casual fan wouldn't know. But that is far more the exception than the rule. Most of them consist of questions like "how many games do they White Sox play - 41 or 162?" and "What are the White Sox colors." Those are the rule and they are inane and irritating. Get rid of them, stat.

Those questions are for the kids! You got a seven year old up there who can barely put on their own pants, not some grizzled vetran that can name every player for the last 50 years.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Hal:

You've answered the question that I was actually meaning..that Brooks and Nancy have apparently not said anything about discontinuing organ music in the future.

That was the purpose of my post about a column..not who cut back Nancy's time but more along the lines of addressing the Boston (Fenway) story and the future.

Lip

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Brutal

On field stuff is great in the minor leagues but it isn't needed at the MLB level.

Ome thing that has to end is the Yankees ground crew doing Y M C A ( that has gotten old )

And yet, far more MLB teams have on-field stuff than teams that don't...

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Those questions are for the kids! You got a seven year old up there who can barely put on their own pants, not some grizzled vetran that can name every player for the last 50 years.Most of the times I've been - and that's every weekend this season - it has been an adult answering these questions, not kids. Either way, it's still irritating to subject everyone to these things.

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Most of the times I've been - and that's every weekend this season - it has been an adult answering these questions, not kids. Either way, it's still irritating to subject everyone to these things.

Eh, I don't even pay that much attention anymore. I recall the super-easy ones were for kids (i.e. number of innings in a game, where they give a choice of answers), tougher baseball questions with answers were for women and baseball questions without answer choices were for the guys.

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Eh, I don't even pay that much attention anymore. I recall the super-easy ones were for kids (i.e. number of innings in a game, where they give a choice of answers), tougher baseball questions with answers were for women and baseball questions without answer choices were for the guys.I think they were trying that for a while, but now I'd say about 80% of the time it's adults that get those silly questions and it just looks bad IMO. If they go with the ones that have "who led the SOX in RBI last season" and such, then that's okay, but please don't ask anyone over 7 how many games there are in the White Sox season.

Fenway
08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
One thing that is universal at MLB parks ( except Wrigley )

People trying to get their mug on the Jumbotron

Remember the woman at old Comiskey that used to cross her eyes? She was on almost every night ( she still around?)

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I think they were trying that for a while, but now I'd say about 80% of the time it's adults that get those silly questions and it just looks bad IMO. If they go with the ones that have "who led the SOX in RBI last season" and such, then that's okay, but please don't ask anyone over 7 how many games there are in the White Sox season.

And why not? My mom went to her first ever MLB game last year (she is almost 60). She couldn't have answered any of the questions in the quiz.

I probably should have left her in the car.

thepaulbowski
08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
And why not? My mom went to her first ever MLB game last year (she is almost 60). She couldn't have answered any of the questions in the quiz.

I probably should have left her in the car.

The only way you should have left her in the car was with the windows rolled up in 90 degree heat. :redneck

DannyCaterFan
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
For any White Sox fan over the age of 35 ( which includes me) organ music at the ballpark, whether it be at US Cellular, or old Comiskey Park, is synonomous with the baseball experience. My earliest memories of attending games in the 60's is that of stepping into the park and watching batting practice accompanied by the musical delights provided by Nancy Faust and Bob Creed and Shea Torrent before her. Yes, I do remember who preceded Nancy in the 60's.
I know and understand that times do change, and the Sox have to cater to the younger crowds, but there needs to be a happy medium, one that maintains some of baseball's long traditions. I do enjoy some of the canned music, including "Thunderstruck", etc. Still, the White Sox should realize that much of their season ticket holder fan base, the paying customers if you will, are the die hard tradtionalists. Brooks Boyer has done so much to change the image of the Sox, but Baseball does not need to be marketed like a Bulls game, with something going on every minute.
As for the between innings entertainment, the Sox pride crew is alright, but the promotions are worse than what i see in the Frontier league.
I say, let's keep the organ music for many years to come.

johnr1note
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
The White Sox are simply following suit for almost all major league teams -- more and more canned music and less and less organ. Or, at least, less and less LIVE organ music. I can't remember if it was a game I attended in Houston, Baltimore, or for the Angels in Anahiem, but at one of the venues, ALL of the music was canned. At least it seemed like it. I remember walking out thinking -- is this what we've come to?

I mean, the LAST thing we need at US Cellular field is more heavy metal rock clips blasted at ear drum shattering volumes. "Thunderstruck," well, OK, but we need a little variety for pete's sake. That's one nice thing about the organ music -- Nancy always varied the style, even if it was on the organ.

And even if you wanted a hipper, trendier sound, they have keyboard instruments today that can give you an amazing variety of sounds, with drum machines attached and such. Nancy has started using some of that equipment -- you can have the closest thing to canned music, and its live, for crying out loud. Plus, besides being irritating, many of the "canned" clips at the Cell are poorly done, poorly mastered, and poorly recorded. There are several of the short "clap your hands" bits that are tape loops, and you can hear the "skips" in them when the loop back to the beginning has been in-artfully edited. Its like the recording drops a beat. Its irritating as all get out. That's what you get when computer geeks are editing the music. You would never get that with a quality musician like Nancy.

If Brooks is reading this thread, he should take heed. Without a live keyboardist/organist, there is a staleness to the proceedings. And please, please please ease up on the heavy metal stuff?

It makes me chuckle -- my dear departed grandfather thought Bill Veeck ruined the Sox when he put in the exploding scoreboard. He thought it was low class and too "Hollywood" for baseball. And, he felt that organ music was too much. "Organ music belongs at funeral homes, not the ballpark" he would complain. He would spin in his grave if he could experience what goes on at Sox games now a days.

Walker29
08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I'll be the first one in line for a "I Need More Organ" Nancy Faust t-shirt!

ilsox7
08-13-2007, 05:21 PM
You just can't stand being in my shadow.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=wsfanfoto&gallery_id=794360&image_id=34

I had no problem being in your shadow that day as I think it was 110 degrees out and I had carried my bag 'o beer for about 3/4 of a mile. Hot times!

RadioheadRocks
08-13-2007, 05:34 PM

Not to mention that the Cubs are now marketing "having organ music" as one of their calling cards for the "Wrigley Field Experience". :angry:

thomas35forever
08-13-2007, 05:56 PM
I'll be the first one in line for a "I Need More Organ" Nancy Faust t-shirt!
Better yet, have it say "I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Nancy!"

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
MrRoboto83's posts reminded me of a life-long Sox fan who, if he's interested, would make an excellent part-time organist to play when Nancy doesn't: Styx's Dennis DeYoung.

Brian26
08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I like the Pride Crew.

I also like the canned music.

Times change.

The best example I can come up with was in the early 80s when Nancy would play Runaround Sue during an opposing pitching change. Seemingly, the entire crowd would be singing along. It was an awesome experience to hear in person. In recent years, Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer is played during a late-inning pitching change. Often, the PA person will will turn down the sound in the refrain and you can hear the entire crowd singing along.

Without getting into the logistics of whether or not Bon Jovi can be played on an organ or if people have the words memorized enough to sing on their own, the point is that the music they're playing at the park now is catered to a younger crowd, and this music is better as canned music than organ music.

I'll take Thunderstruck, Bon Jovi and Bad Bobby's theme song over anything Nancy can do.

:duck:

Ziggy S
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Of course, a "culture" that produces reality TV and such gems as "American Idol" probably will end up getting what it deservers.

This quote is so true it's going in my sig.

FielderJones
08-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I'll take Thunderstruck, Bon Jovi and Bad Bobby's theme song over anything Nancy can do.

There's no reply to that that would not get me banned. :angry:

itsnotrequired
08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I had no problem being in your shadow that day as I think it was 110 degrees out and I had carried my bag 'o beer for about 3/4 of a mile. Hot times!

Hey, I offered to help carry but you refused. Now I see it was all a ploy to make me look bad later on.

skobabe8
08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

I want those songs too. I dont want the stupid Rowdie cheer or the million other sound effects they use to fill airtime between pitches. There can be a middle ground.

IlliniSox4Life
08-14-2007, 02:23 AM
I want those songs too. I dont want the stupid Rowdie cheer or the million other sound effects they use to fill airtime between pitches. There can be a middle ground.

This says it all. I like Thunderstruck and Bobby's theme, as well as some other canned stuff. Organ music is part of the tradition of baseball and the White Sox though.

It's like if instead of serving hot dogs at the park, they started serving just low fat wraps. Hot dogs aren't an amazing food. There are plenty of other options that are more popular foods in general right now, but hot dogs are part of baseball. On days when I don't go to the ballpark, there's probably a 1% chance I will eat a hot dog. On days when I go to the ballpark, there's probably a 90% chance that I will eat a hot dog. On days when I don't go to the ballpark, there's probably a .01% chance I will want to listen to organ music. On days when I go to the ballpark there's probably a 99% chance I will want to listen to organ music.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2007, 02:24 AM
On days when I don't go to the ballpark, there's probably a 1% chance I will eat a hot dog. On days when I go to the ballpark, there's probably a 90% chance that I will eat a hot dog. On days when I don't go to the ballpark, there's probably a .01% chance I will want to listen to organ music. On days when I go to the ballpark there's probably a 99% chance I will want to listen to organ music.Good analogy.

tebman
08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I like the Pride Crew.

Times change.

The best example I can come up with was in the early 80s when Nancy would play Runaround Sue during an opposing pitching change. Seemingly, the entire crowd would be singing along. It was an awesome experience to hear in person. In recent years, Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer is played during a late-inning pitching change. Often, the PA person will will turn down the sound in the refrain and you can hear the entire crowd singing along.

Without getting into the logistics of whether or not Bon Jovi can be played on an organ or if people have the words memorized enough to sing on their own, the point is that the music they're playing at the park now is catered to a younger crowd, and this music is better as canned music than organ music.

Times do change and I have to agree that there are features at the ballpark I enjoy now that didn't exist before, "Thunderstruck" being an example. But remember that the Pride Crew and their T-shirt toss are there because Chevy's paying for it -- the Sox get revenue from it just like the billboards in the park. Same way with the pizza race (Connie's Pizza), the hamburger race (McDonald's), the Fundamentals home-run contest (Pontiac), and most of the other between-innings garnish.

What's lost by not having a live keyboard player (which in truth is what Nancy is -- the organ is just one of many keyboard options she uses) is the immediacy and organic quality of the crowd experience. Nancy's gift is being able to gauge the moment and play a few bars of a tune that nearly always is a perfect fit for the situation. That's how "Na Na Hey Hey, Goodbye" got started: she played it when an opposing pitcher got chased after a Sox rally. It was both funny and trash-talking and fit the mood of the crowd in those moments.

I was at a game about 10 years ago when two dumb people fell/jumped out of the left-field seats and ran across the field. Security caught up with them soon enough, but while they were out there Nancy was playing "What Kind of Fool Am I?" (Sammy Davis, Jr.) As brawls would be breaking up on the field, she would play "Why Can't We Be Friends?" (War, Smashmouth) It was Nancy who came up with all those variations on themes when a batter would draw a walk: "Walk Like A Man" (4 Seasons), "Walk of Life" (Dire Straits), "I Walk The Line" (Johnny Cash), among others.

The point being that having a live keyboardist does not have to be antiquated or fusty. In the right hands it heightens the mood and keeps the crowd into the game. Nancy is obviously the right hands, but she's winding down and there are certainly other able keyboard players out there. I don't see the organ as an either/or choice, but rather as the lead element in the game experience with the other stuff behind it.

Walker29
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
One of my favorite memories of going to games with my dad while growing up was trying to be the first to make the connection between what song Nancy was playing and the opposing batter she was playing it for. Those were the good old days. At least "Let's Go Go Go White Sox" is in heavy rotation and we get to hear that once a game. They didn't start playing that until 2004/2005 I believe...I did have a dream recently that the Sox had called Shingo up and we were rocking out to the "Gong Show" one last time.

AZChiSoxFan
08-14-2007, 03:14 PM
I like the Pride Crew.

Times change.

I can't argue with anyone's opinion. However, if I've read this thread correctly, all of the people in this thread who want organ music (myself included) aren't saying "just go to organ music exclusively" (Although that would be my personal preference). We are simply saying just continue to give us SOME organ music. If the Sox ever get to the point where they have NO organ music at all, I'll believe they will have some angry fans.

Brian26
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I can't argue with anyone's opinion. However, if I've read this thread correctly, all of the people in this thread who want organ music (myself included) aren't saying "just go to organ music exclusively" (Although that would be my personal preference). We are simply saying just continue to give us SOME organ music. If the Sox ever get to the point where they have NO organ music at all, I'll believe they will have some angry fans.

I support a happy medium as well. The beginning of the thread seemed to be steering people towards a one-or-another argument. My point was to give some examples of really cool things that happen at the park now without Nancy.

As for having no organ music at all, it's essentially been completely eliminated from all night games (except for one track of Nancy's recorded "Na Na Hey Hey" that they play once in a blue moon after a pitching change).

Brian26
08-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Nancy was playing "What Kind of Fool Am I?" (Sammy Davis, Jr.) As brawls would be breaking up on the field, she would play "Why Can't We Be Friends?" (War, Smashmouth) It was Nancy who came up with all those variations on themes when a batter would draw a walk: "Walk Like A Man" (4 Seasons), "Walk of Life" (Dire Straits), "I Walk The Line" (Johnny Cash), among others.

Not that Nancy isn't capable of learning songs by Fergie, Nickelback, and Jay-Z, but can't anyone else agree that some of Nancy's musical preferences might be a bit outdated with the younger generation of people coming to the Cell?

Which also brings up the question of whether or not today's music translates as well when played on an organ.

MrRoboto83
08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Not that Nancy isn't capable of learning songs by Fergie, Nickelback, and Jay-Z, but can't anyone else agree that some of Nancy's musical preferences might be a bit outdated with the younger generation of people coming to the Cell?

Which also brings up the question of whether or not today's music translates as well when played on an organ.

I believe I heard her playing a Kelly Clarkson song last time at a game I was at.

itsnotrequired
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I believe I heard her playing a Kelly Clarkson song last time at a game I was at.

When she plays The Offspring, youths stand at attention.

tebman
08-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Those examples I gave were just off the top of my head. I know from interviews Nancy has done over the years that she works hard at adapting current hits to short keyboard bits for the games. The songs aren't her personal preferences, but rather tunes that would work in game situations or relate to specific players.

No doubt a lot of current stuff wouldn't lend itself to a traditional organ, but that's not all she has available. She also uses a couple of synthesizers that could create most any instrument's sound. If Nickelback or Jay-Z have titles or themes that work in a game situation, I'm sure she'd be on it.

But that's all moot since she's phasing herself out at the ballpark. My point is that whether it's Nancy Faust or someone else, a live musician can do things no pressbox DJ can do. The White Sox are missing a trick if they don't find someone to succeed Nancy.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM

I can't stand the noise between pitches. It's like they think they we have no attention spans and need to be stimulated every 3 seconds or we will become bored.

Unfortunately, I am not what they are after. I would go to baseball games if they played nails scratching a chalk board (they pretty much do).

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2007, 06:28 AM
But that's all moot since she's phasing herself out at the ballpark. My point is that whether it's Nancy Faust or someone else, a live musician can do things no pressbox DJ can do. The White Sox are missing a trick if they don't find someone to succeed Nancy.

Right. Even the swiftest, sharpest DJ with every song ever recorded saved on his or her hard drive couldn't pull up Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" as fast as Nancy (or a similarly skilled musician) can play it when Jason Giambi steps to the plate. As fast as the computer may be, one still would have to make several keystrokes for the computer to find the desired song. The musician can start playing the song on the very first keystroke.

Moreover, a musician can begin playing the most easily identifiable part of a song - the "hook," whereas a DJ either would have to quickly fast forward to that part, or would have had to have pre-edited the song into a new audio file.

In any case, a live musician - an organist - can be more spontaneous than a DJ. There's room for both. I just don't want organ music eliminated.

spiffie
08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
As for having no organ music at all, it's essentially been completely eliminated from all night games (except for one track of Nancy's recorded "Na Na Hey Hey" that they play once in a blue moon after a pitching change).
This is what makes me skeptical of Brooks and the organization on the whole "we'll keep playing organ music after Nancy leaves" thing. 1/2 the season is already organ-free. After Nancy leaves, its not that you ever need to announce "we're done with the organ" but rather you just don't hire someone. After a year or so, almost everyone will forget there was organ music at the park. And the people who might be unhappy...well we're still going to pay them (the Sox) anyhow.

I know what Brooks says, but really, why would he respond to a group of obviously pro-Nancy people by saying, "we hate organ music, once the old biddy is gone we can get rid of the organ once and for all" when he can tell us what we want to hear knowing it will be a while before it ever becomes an issue (unless Nancy up and retires after the season)?

skobabe8
08-15-2007, 04:37 PM
This is what makes me skeptical of Brooks and the organization on the whole "we'll keep playing organ music after Nancy leaves" thing. 1/2 the season is already organ-free. After Nancy leaves, its not that you ever need to announce "we're done with the organ" but rather you just don't hire someone. After a year or so, almost everyone will forget there was organ music at the part. And the people who might be unhappy...well we're still going to pay them anyhow.

I wish only 1/2 the season was organ free.

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I want those songs too. I dont want the stupid Rowdie cheer or the million other sound effects they use to fill airtime between pitches.
That "R-O-W-D-I-E let's get rowdy...woo!" chant needs to go. They've used it for years and they use it WAAAY too much, especially on non-Nancy Faust days. I never see anyone react to that cheer either, not even kids.

Frontman
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I hope this doesn't mean that once Nancy retires, organ music goes away for good.

Maybe they didn't want to have two organists on the payroll?

Hey, I'm trying to find a positive out of it!

Sox
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Whoa Nellie. Your are 100 percent spot on with your take. Even some of the hockey games I used to attend or listen to on the radio had organs playing music. Now its all done by a sound man with a bunch of precanned music. I say in baseball stay with tradition.

Fenway
08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I had a chance to speak to Nancy yesterday....

I told her about how well Josh was doing in Boston and she was thrilled to hear it. I told her about him playing Runaway Sue and she beamed :smile:

I gave her a printout of the Boston Globe story from 2 years ago.....( which said Nancy knows she won't be replaced).....and she just shrugged.

BTW I contacted Bella English at the Boston Globe about that line that Brooks was furious about. Ms. English said she would check her notes and get back to me. A week later she said that Nancy had indeed said that to her in the phone call.

I have known Nancy casually since 1981. I thought she was the best I have ever heard and ballpark organists have always fascinated me.

Back in the 60's I used to watch Bruins and Celtics games on the organ bench at Boston Garden as my brother was a salesman for Hammond Organ and was friends with John Kiley who played for the Braves from 1941-52 and the Red Sox from 1953-89. (He died in 1994) We could sit on the bench during a game as Kiley HATED hockey and basketball and would go to a concession stand for coffee during the game. ( He did love baseball however )

Kiley told me once one of his biggest thrills was being invited by Al Melgard to play the mighty Barton at The Stadium. Kiley had played on a similar Barton at the Boston Opera House.

Bottom line...my sense is Nancy will never be replaced...because if the White Sox wanted organ music at night they would have found someone by now. I can tell you Nancy would have no problem with that.

tebman
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I had a chance to speak to Nancy yesterday....

I told her about how well Josh was doing in Boston and she was thrilled to hear it. I told her about him playing Runaway Sue and she beamed :smile:

I gave her a printout of the Boston Globe story from 2 years ago.....( which said Nancy knows she won't be replaced).....and she just shrugged.

BTW I contacted Bella English at the Boston Globe about that line that Brooks was furious about. Ms. English said she would check her notes and get back to me. A week later she said that Nancy had indeed said that to her in the phone call.

I have known Nancy casually since 1981. I thought she was the best I have ever heard and ballpark organists have always fascinated me.

Back in the 60's I used to watch Bruins and Celtics games on the organ bench at Boston Garden as my brother was a salesman for Hammond Organ and was friends with John Kiley who played for the Braves from 1941-52 and the Red Sox from 1953-89. (He died in 1994) We could sit on the bench during a game as Kiley HATED hockey and basketball and would go to a concession stand for coffee during the game. ( He did love baseball however )

Kiley told me once one of his biggest thrills was being invited by Al Melgard to play the mighty Barton at The Stadium. Kiley had played on a similar Barton at the Boston Opera House.

Bottom line...my sense is Nancy will never be replaced...because if the White Sox wanted organ music at night they would have found someone by now. I can tell you Nancy would have no problem with that.
Great story, Fens! I was at the makeup Tampa Bay game today and since it was a day game, Nancy was playing. Still sharp as ever ("Uptown Girl" and a B. J. Thomas song when B. J. Upton came to bat), though she never played between innings -- that's all taken up with promotions.

At the top of the 7th I went over to her booth because I knew she'd be there to play "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" during the stretch. I think she leaves the game after the 7th, and since I didn't know if I'd have a chance to see her again, I wanted to say hello. Pierzynski hit a homer to lead off the bottom of the 7th, and she played a few bars of "Na Na Hey Hey, Goodbye" to commemorate it. She appeared to be packing up after that, so I stuck my head in and told her that I was a long-time fan and that my wife and daughter are both keyboard players and also big fans. Gracious as ever, she thanked me and autographed my scorecard. I'd spoken with her before on many occasions but she sees zillions of people and I have no illusions that she'd remember me.

Maybe it really is inevitable, but we'll miss her when she's actually gone.

wealz07
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm fine with the Sox pre and in-game entertainment. The Pride Crew could go, but that's entertaining on a bizarre level too. I guess I don't miss the organ music or rather I get my fill of it during day games.

jabrch
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Sox are too cheap - First we lest Porcello go to take some overrated LHP now we let Kantor go cuz we wouldn't give him 8mm and we sign some jukebox...I'm cancelling my season tickets.

Steelrod
08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I only go to night games, and frankly, not hearing organ music is ok. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it until readiing this thread.
But for those of you who enjoy it, I hope it continues for a long time.

roylestillman
08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Was at yesterday's game also and noticed that the one new song that Nancy added this year is Maroon 5's Makes Me Wonder. The final lyrics go like this:

Give me something to believe in
Cause I don't believe in you,
Anymore, Anymore
I wonder if it even makes a difference...
Even makes a difference to try
And you told me how you're feeling
But I don't believe it's true
Anymore Anymore
I wonder if it even makes a difference to cry
(Oh no)
So this is goodbye
So this is goodbye

Now maybe I'm reading too much into this but.....

skobabe8
08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Was at yesterday's game also and noticed that the one new song that Nancy added this year is Maroon 5's Makes Me Wonder. The final lyrics go like this:

Give me something to believe in
Cause I don't believe in you,
Anymore, Anymore
I wonder if it even makes a difference...
Even makes a difference to try
And you told me how you're feeling
But I don't believe it's true
Anymore Anymore
I wonder if it even makes a difference to cry
(Oh no)
So this is goodbye
So this is goodbye

LOL....here come the conspiracy theories!!

IlliniSox4Life
08-28-2007, 08:34 PM

It would all depend on when it was played and what was going on. Also, what part of the song she played. Nancy may have had other reasons to play it.

kitekrazy
08-28-2007, 10:39 PM

She was also a good lookin' lady back in her day.

Dancin' Homer
08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
The thing that bothers me most about the canned music and sound effects is the uniformity throughout baseball. I don't have cable (or satellite) anymore so I listen to a lot of games on the radio. You can hear all the same crappy music at all of the stupid other ballparks that you hear at ours. Is there like some stadium ops school where they teach all of those dopes when to hit the CHARGE! button?

Resist the homogenization of America's culture!