PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Bobby Jenks is the man 8-12 Postgame Thread

soxfanreggie
08-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Have at it!

Patrick134
08-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Bullpen doing well overall, and Jenks being just amazing. Great game. if this was Mariano Rivera chasing that record, it would get as much coverage as Bonds did.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2007, 03:27 PM
So, did Jenks get the record? If that's the case, hats off to him!!!

Corlose 15
08-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Bobby's good, he's not Jeff Weaver good, but he's pretty good.

Frontman
08-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Not only did he tie the ML record, he had to do it with 3 tough plays. His bobble/throw to first, then Dye's dive (MERCY!) and even Juan wasn't a sure-fire throw to first.

Glad to see it happen, would have been better as a White Sox winner, but what were the odds of Steve Stone, having witnessed the record set as a player, be on hand to witness it tied as a commentator?

That was a wild fact.

Get some rest with the off-day tomorrow, and onto Oakland and take 2 out of 3 from Oakland.

Navarro's Talent
08-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Congrats, Bobby! It was great to watch him tie the record. Keep it going, big man. :cool:

Patrick134
08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
The Jenks record is huge. 6 teams win a division every year. 1 wins the world series every year. Jenk's record is much more rare than that, and all the more impressive. Go Bobby !

southside rocks
08-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Bobby Jenks, wow -- just WOW. :worship:

The offense, not so much. And John Danks struggled. I hope they rest him, he does look tired to me.

Foulke You
08-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Not a good effort from Danks or the offense today. Nice to see Jenks tie the record. Jeff Weaver was pretty tough on us but I wonder why the Sox hitters didn't get more aggressive earlier in the count when Weaver kept pumping 1st pitch fastballs? Every hitter essentially had 2 strikes to work with because we never swung away at the 1st pitch.

Also, what was with the uniforms the Mariners were wearing today? They looked like they were wearing their spring training/batting practice pullovers. (Loose fitting, no names, just the numbers) Am I missing something? Are these an actual alternate jersey for the M's or maybe their real road jerseys got damaged or lost? If these are the real deal for them, they look bush league.

balke
08-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Great to see Bobby on this run. He's looking to be one of the great closers of this new generation.

IlliniSox4Life
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I hope he sits down something like 84 in a row, more than doubling the previous record, and it is referred to as one of the all time great streaks (ala the consecutive games with a hit streak). There's along way to that though.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
A week ago I said the Sox would be at .500 by Aug 19.
I must be an idiot.

Lip Man 1
08-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess I should stop being surprised by seeing trash pitchers who are getting their brains beat out by the rest of baseball come in and befuddle the White Sox.

Part of me is amazed that this keeps happening regularly since 2001...but then the rational part takes over and says 'why should you be amazed? The Sox have little speed so they can't pressure a defense, they can't execute fundamentals, they do nothing but swing for the fences and when they get on base they clog up them up...'

Lip

oeo
08-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Didn't see the game, but how the hell can you not muster at least one run against Jeff ****ing Weaver? We've done a lot of embarrassing things this year, and this is right up there with them.

Thome and Konerko really need to start stepping up, or some lineup changes need to happen.

Congrats to Bobby, though. :bandance:

Droso5
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Ah yes, yet again the White Sox make a mediocre/terrible pitcher look like Cy Young. They were clueless up there and Ozzie even played a decent line-up on a Sunday! Just an absolute poor performance.

tacosalbarojas
08-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Not only did he tie the ML record, he had to do it with 3 tough plays. His bobble/throw to first, then Dye's dive (MERCY!) and even Juan wasn't a sure-fire throw to first.

Glad to see it happen, would of been better as a White Sox winner, but what were the odds of Steve Stone, having witnessed the record set as a player, be on hand to witness it tied as a commentator?

That was a wild fact.

Add to the fact that the occurrences are 35 years apart and you've got some true baseball arcana. Congrats Bobby.

MCHSoxFan
08-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Great game.

THIS GAME WAS TERRIBLE!!!! :angry: How can you say "GREAT GAME?" Nice going Bobby and the Sox's defense. However, it was a worse game then yesterday!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

goon
08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Congratulations, Robert Jenks...

MERCY! You're Awesome.

Patrick134
08-12-2007, 05:21 PM
THIS GAME WAS TERRIBLE!!!! :angry: How can you say "GREAT GAME?" Nice going Bobby and the Sox's defense. However, it was a worse game then yesterday!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

The bullpen, and jenks especially, made it great.

JB98
08-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Just back from the Cell. I'd like a refund on the first eight innings. But it was very nice to see Bobby get that record, with some help from JD on a nice catch in RF.

Congratulations to Jenks. He is pitching extremely well, and the bullpen as a whole has been strong as of late.

itsnotrequired
08-12-2007, 05:34 PM
chisoxmike and I left in the 7th. My excuse was fussy kids, his excuse was a fussy dad.

Sig update time...

MCHSoxFan
08-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Just back from the Cell. I'd like a refund on the first eight innings. But it was very nice to see Bobby get that record, with some help from JD on a nice catch in RF.

Congratulations to Jenks. He is pitching extremely well, and the bullpen as a whole has been strong as of late.

Great. As soon as the bullpen does good, the offense is just plain baaaddd. Just cannot win this year. :(:

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Great. As soon as the bullpen does good, the offense is just plain baaaddd. Just cannot win this year. :(:This sums it up very well.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/1600/stride.jpg

Other than Jenks, this was another waste of a sunday. When these guys make Jeff Weaver look like CC Sabathia, you know it's not good. If they could just go through the motions for the rest of the season, that would probably be better than what it is now.

GlassSox
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Just got home from the game, enough said! :angry:

Then Bobby Jenks came into the game, wow! The crowd was with him and it was so loud. Bobby had to come out of the dugout to wave his hat after the 1/2 inning.

Congrats to Bobby, get the next batter and it is 42 and no tie.

pierzynski07
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Awesome. We won the game!

Right?

KempersRS
08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Not that getting shut out is excusable, but everyone complaining it was such a garbage pitcher because of the ugly record and ERA should realize Weaver started the season injured so his numbers are misleading. After coming off the DL he has a 3.15 ERA in his last 12 starts.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
...but then the rational part takes over and says 'why should you be amazed? The Sox have little speed so they can't pressure a defense, they can't execute fundamentals, they do nothing but swing for the fences and when they get on base they clog up them up...'

Lip

That is the reason I would not be disappointed if both Thome and Dye were not back next year. If only one of them returns, I hope it is Dye. Make him the DH.

Thome is either a home run, walk, or ground out to the shift. With his HRs dropping off, his production and usefulness are falling as fast.

oeo
08-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Thome is either a home run, walk, or ground out to the shift. With his HRs dropping off, his production and usefulness are falling as fast.

Saying this was just like saying that Bobby Jenks sucked when he was slumping. Thome's dingers will come...he's just in a rut right now. We've all seen what he can do when he gets hot.

anewman35
08-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Also, what was with the uniforms the Mariners were wearing today? They looked like they were wearing their spring training/batting practice pullovers. (Loose fitting, no names, just the numbers) Am I missing something? Are these an actual alternate jersey for the M's or maybe their real road jerseys got damaged or lost? If these are the real deal for them, they look bush league.

They did indeed wear their spring training/batting practice uniforms, because it was so hot.

Grzegorz
08-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Saying this was just like saying that Bobby Jenks sucked when he was slumping. Thome's dingers will come...he's just in a rut right now. We've all seen what he can do when he gets hot.

I'd prefer a contingency to Thome next season. Maybe Dye is that person in that they'd share DH duties.

Perhaps Dye would not sign if his role was defined as such.

Tragg
08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
When we won the WS, we had ONE slap hitter in the lineup. Everyone else could drive the ball. And that slap hitter had a .350 obp and stole 50 bases. And that O was good, but it wasn't great.

This team has a minimum of THREE slappers in the lineup every night, with a potential of five (Pods, Owens, Richar, Cintron, Erstad). It's not a surprise, the offense is way last in the AL. Now part of it is the Sox are giving young players a chance to play.

Maybe Richar can drive the ball and he just hasn't yet...but he looks like a lock to start next year. I don't see how we can have any of the rest in the lineup short of major obp improvement (IF we want to contend). Owens has a .300 obp - you can't win with that. Maybe it will get better - it needs to.

Call up Sweeney - he can drive the ball.
We need some outfielders.

Can you believe Bukvich's ERA is under 3. Surely someone is in desparate need of a middle reliever. Sell high...

Noneck
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM

How can you be so positive of this happening? Thome is injury prone, broken down 37 year old DH who has been struggling vs. lefties since he joined the Sox. Isn't it possible that this is the time of his career when things just never get better?

Lip Man 1
08-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Tragg:

Not sure exactly what point you are trying to make.

Not saying you're wrong, I just don't understand what you are trying to say.

My contribution is that in 2005 in addition to hitting over 200 home runs, the White Sox led the American League in sacrifice bunts and sacrifice flies.

Balance is the key word.

We no longer have that.

Lip

oeo
08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
How can you be so positive of this happening? Thome is injury prone, broken down 37 year old DH who has been struggling vs. lefties since he joined the Sox. Isn't it possible that this is the time of his career when things just never get better?

Because I don't see the evidence of him being broke down, instead slumping, which we've seen before. Where's that evidence...or are you just pulling it out of your ass?

Oh wait, lefties...that's your evidence. That's all you keep telling me. Well, he's never hit lefties well, this isn't something new.

oeo
08-12-2007, 09:16 PM
When we won the WS, we had ONE slap hitter in the lineup. Everyone else could drive the ball. And that slap hitter had a .350 obp and stole 50 bases. And that O was good, but it wasn't great.

This team has a minimum of THREE slappers in the lineup every night, with a potential of five (Pods, Owens, Richar, Cintron, Erstad). It's not a surprise, the offense is way last in the AL. Now part of it is the Sox are giving young players a chance to play.

Maybe Richar can drive the ball and he just hasn't yet...but he looks like a lock to start next year. I don't see how we can have any of the rest in the lineup short of major obp improvement (IF we want to contend). Owens has a .300 obp - you can't win with that. Maybe it will get better - it needs to.

Call up Sweeney - he can drive the ball.
We need some outfielders.

Can you believe Bukvich's ERA is under 3. Surely someone is in desparate need of a middle reliever. Sell high...

Richar isn't a 'slapper.' He does drive the ball, and hits it pretty damn hard, too. You must have missed his triple in Detroit. Or last night, he almost had another. Jerry Owens...that guy is a 'slapper', Erstad is too...even Pods can drive the ball.

And why would we trade Bukvich? Sell him high for what? Some balls?

Noneck
08-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Because I don't see the evidence of him being broke down, instead slumping, which we've seen before. Where's that evidence...or are you just pulling it out of your ass?

Oh wait, lefties...that's your evidence. That's all you keep telling me. Well, he's never hit lefties well, this isn't something new.

Where am I getting it from? Look at the number of times he's been dl'ed and the # of AB's in the past 3 years, with 2 of them as a DH. Thats a sign of being broken down. You also for some reason want to totally ignore his stats this year vs. lefties and try to say hes in a funk, when player has year long stats this low at this point of a year and career it is not a funk. Finally, I don't appreciate the derogatory comment you made to me, I made it based on facts.

chisoxmike
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
The bullpen, and jenks especially, made it great.

Nevermind the 6-0 score and the fact that they made Weaver look like Cy Young.

Tragg
08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
And why would we trade Bukvich? Sell him high for what? Some balls?

Ridiculous prices have been paid for mediocre middle relievers...particularly this time of year. That would also include suggestions of what the Sox should trade for a mediocre middle reliever. We've got one.

That Pods - a real power hitter - please. He rarely drives the ball. Slg under .400

Richar - I haven't seen him much. I know he had some power in the minors. I like what I've seen despite the stats.

This offense is last. Even factoring in injuries, unexpected bad years and slumps, this would be a 2nd division offense. I'm glad we're sorting out our inhouse hitters (and hopefully Sweeney will be called up pronto) but we need pop. That's what I'm saying Lip. And I agree with you - we lack balance.

Martinigirl
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Is anyone watching Sports Sunday on channel 5? I normally avoid this because I can't stand any of their sportscasters, and I was just reminded why.

Adamle actually did a nice bit on Bobby, and then he says something like he hopes they don't talk to Bobby months if that means he keeps his streak alive. It is at this point that Ryan Baker chimes in with "yeah because he is such a riveting interview." Excuse me? What did Bobby Jenks ever do to Ryan Baker for him to be such an *******? Bobby is always a nice guy who speaks to the press and doesn't deserve that snark.

And I am again reminded never to watch channel 5.

Grzegorz
08-13-2007, 04:58 AM

That "surely someone" would be the Chicago White Sox. If I am management I hold onto this guy like grim death to see how he performs the rest of the way.

If he performs that would be one less move made for a player outside of the organization.

Tragg
08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
That "surely someone" would be the Chicago White Sox. If I am management I hold onto this guy like grim death to see how he performs the rest of the way.

If he performs that would be one less move made for a player outside of the organization.
Maybe, maybe not. Middle relievers are rarely trustworthy one year to the next. We gave 2 live arms for MacDougal, a mediocre reliever, for example. He's been terrible this year. Pencil in Bukvich for next year at the Sox own risk...I'd rather have a couple of decent prospects.

That's why they're often great to trade at midseason. Primo price. They are cheaper in the offseason. Going outside the organization for a middle reliever isn't necessary anyway with the young pitching talent we have in the minors. We tried the mediocre veteran middle reliever approach this year and it killed us.
Buckvich's history is so bad that there probably isn't much of a market for him anyway. But if there were, I'd dump in a heartbeat.

Patrick134
08-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe, maybe not. Middle relievers are rarely trustworthy one year to the next. We gave 2 live arms for MacDougal, a mediocre reliever, for example. He's been terrible this year. Pencil in Bukvich for next year at the Sox own risk...I'd rather have a couple of decent prospects.

That's why they're often great to trade at midseason. Primo price. They are cheaper in the offseason. Going outside the organization for a middle reliever isn't necessary anyway with the young pitching talent we have in the minors. We tried the mediocre veteran middle reliever approach this year and it killed us.
Buckvich's history is so bad that there probably isn't much of a market for him anyway. But if there were, I'd dump in a heartbeat.

I agree that middle relievers are hard to trust from one year to the next. But knowing that, how do you pick which ones to pick up in the off-season ?

Tragg
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree that middle relievers are hard to trust from one year to the next. But knowing that, how do you pick which ones to pick up in the off-season ?
I'd look first to your own farm system with ML ready pitchers who proved they could handle the minors.
Then, I guess, whoever's cheap. Polite and Hermanson had one trait - they had been starters...that might show some more real talent But they weren't trustworthy after 2005 (although they were hurt too). GM needs to have a good eye and a good feel.
MacDougal and Aardsmas flops really hurt us this year.

JB98
08-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I'd look first to your own farm system with ML ready pitchers who proved they could handle the minors.
Then, I guess, whoever's cheap. Polite and Hermanson had one trait - they had been starters...that might show some more real talent But they weren't trustworthy after 2005 (although they were hurt too). GM needs to have a good eye and a good feel.
MacDougal and Aardsmas flops really hurt us this year.

Right now, all of our middle relievers are throwing well. A big key is figuring out which of these guys can contribute next year, and which are just getting lucky at the moment.