PDA

View Full Version : Will Josh make it to 20 50?

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Do you think Josh will make it to 20+ hrs 50+ rbi this season? He's at 12 and 39 he just needs 11 more over the course of the season and 8 hrs. 8 is a lot for him right now but we've seen Josh hit these in bunches at times. I've really enjoyed what I've seen from Josh this season, maybe not average wise (on it's way up at the moment) but his ability to hit for power and drive in runs, and as Stone has said, we're just seeing the tip of the ice berg with Josh and he's just in his infancy stages as a major leaguer. I think we'll be seeing Josh in a white sox uni for a long time.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2007, 12:42 PM
50 ribbies for sure. Dont know about 20 HRS, maybe 18. This guy is a really good athlete and is only going to get better. Lets hope he stays healthy. We have had bad luck with 3rd basemen down thru the years: Pete Ward, Bill Melton and of course Joe Crede. If Joe comes back lets hope Josh can play left field. I think he can being the athlete he is.

Corlose 15
08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
50 ribbies for sure. Dont know about 20 HRS, maybe 18. This guy is a really good athlete and is only going to get better. Lets hope he stays healthy. We have had bad luck with 3rd basemen down thru the years: Pete Ward, Bill Melton and of course Joe Crede. If Joe comes back lets hope Josh can play left field. I think he can being the athlete he is.

He set the passing TD record at Oklahoma State he really is a great athlete. I agree though with those numbers 20hr might be a bit much but he'll definitely get 50rbi.

If Fields, Owens, and Richar pan out this will be a quick turnaround for the Sox.

SoxxoS
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I have a lot of confidence in Fields to be an All Star. Maybe not perennial, but an every other year all star guy.

I think a move to LF for him if Crede is healthy next year should really shorten the reloading process, b/c Fields can give you LF production. It would be hard to lose Crede for nothing and very hard to back up his production.

rowand33
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
according to espn, he is currently on pace for 21 HR and 68 RBI in 376 ABs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7890

so 20/50 is a legit possibility.

it's so nice to have a young guy come up and actually live up to expectations in the majors.

jabrch
08-12-2007, 10:21 PM
it's so nice to have a young guy come up and actually live up to expectations in the majors.

For all I hear about our farm system, there is no way that anyone can come out of it who is any good.

BoysMom3
08-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I am so excited about Josh and his future - I got tears when he hit that granny yesterday!

JB98
08-12-2007, 11:26 PM
If I had to take a guess, I'd say Josh will finish around 18 and 65.

DumpJerry
08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
During Saturday's game, my buddy and I were commenting that Crede must be hating himself for not doing the surgury earlier and thus giving Josh a chance.

When he hit the Granny, we looked at each other and said "who is Joe Crede?"

Mr. White Sox
08-12-2007, 11:40 PM
The only criticisms against Josh so far:

-His defensive lapses. He's quite athletic and relatively rangy, so this will probably work itself out.

-His strikeout rate is absurd. Over the course of a normal season, at his K rate, I think he'd come close to challenging the single-season strikeout record. He needs to cut those down, especially with another major-K man (Thome) in the lineup.

JB98
08-13-2007, 12:54 AM

-His defensive lapses. He's quite athletic and relatively rangy, so this will probably work itself out.

-His strikeout rate is absurd. Over the course of a normal season, at his K rate, I think he'd come close to challenging the single-season strikeout record. He needs to cut those down, especially with another major-K man (Thome) in the lineup.

When a right-handed pitcher can get his breaking ball over, Fields is in trouble.

Straight ball, he hits it very much. Just ask J.J. Putz. Curves and sliders, bats are afraid.

Josh should probably ask JoeBoo to come.

krohnjw
08-13-2007, 09:46 AM

I think his K-rate will go down a bit as time progresses. He is still taking that big swing with 2 strikes instead of shortening it up a bit and trying to make contact.

My guess is that they don't want to mess with his swing too much while he gets used to being up and adjusts to major league pitching. I would look for some tweaks in the off-season to shorten that swing up when he gets to 2 strikes.

balke
08-13-2007, 10:08 AM
During Saturday's game, my buddy and I were commenting that Crede must be hating himself for not doing the surgury earlier and thus giving Josh a chance.

When he hit the Granny, we looked at each other and said "who is Joe Crede?"

It'll be interesting to see what the Sox do next season. Joe is better at 3B, but Josh is the future. I'm wondering if they let go of Pods and put Fields in LF, and let him play a lot of 3B to rest Crede. That or keep them all and trade someone at the deadline.

SoxxoS
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
It'll be interesting to see what the Sox do next season. Joe is better at 3B, but Josh is the future. I'm wondering if they let go of Pods and put Fields in LF, and let him play a lot of 3B to rest Crede. That or keep them all and trade someone at the deadline.

I would rather have Josh move to LF and leave Crede at third and have that be our future. 2 problems solved, as long as Crede is healthy.

Jaffar
08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
I would rather have Josh move to LF and leave Crede at third and have that be our future. 2 problems solved, as long as Crede is healthy.

That would only solve 2008 since Crede will be in a contract year and I would assume he would play out 2008 before signing any long term contracts. I would hate to see Fields moved to left in 2008 only to move him back to 3rd in 2009.

balke
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
That would only solve 2008 since Crede will be in a contract year and I would assume he would play out 2008 before signing any long term contracts. I would hate to see Fields moved to left in 2008 only to move him back to 3rd in 2009.

The Sox would probably have an issue at leadoff as well. I like Owens, but I don't know if he can handle that position yet. He's got the potential to, but the Sox need a good leadoff man on base with these power bats.

santo=dorf
08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Crede is not healthy.
Kerry Wood is not healthy.
Mark Prior is not healthy.
Matt Mantei is not healthy.
AJ Burnett is not healthy
Darin Erstad is not healthy
Joe Crede is not healthy

Time to cut the bait and move on. This team doesn't need any more false hope. He's simply not worth the gamble and he's an average third baseman.

Frater Perdurabo
08-15-2007, 05:28 PM
he's an average third baseman.

No offense to you, santo=dorf, but I'm starting to get annoyed with people confusing hitting with defense when making blanket statements about players.

Joe Crede is a fantastic third baseman. He may be an average hitter, but he's excellent defensively.

HomeFish
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome to modern baseball. The days when shortstops, catchers, and other important defenders were exempt from having to hit well are over.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Who are the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year in the American League?

JermaineDye05
08-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Who are the leading candidates for Rookie of the Year in the American League?

Matsuzaka
Young
Pedroia

Josh doesn't have a shot at getting ROY unless he goes on a Ryan Braun like run.

JermaineDye05
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Matsuzaka
Young
Pedroia

Josh doesn't have a shot at getting ROY unless he goes on a Ryan Braun like run.

I almost forgot Reggie Willits is probably up there too.

JorgeFabregas
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
June - .218/.274/.333 1 HR/39 ABs
July - .265/.333/.490 1 HR/16.3 ABs
August - .277/.306/.660 1 HR/9.4 ABs

I don't have any delusions about him hitting a homerun per 9 ABs for any extended period of time, but it's nice to see him continue to improve.

Madscout
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Welcome to modern baseball. The days when shortstops, catchers, and other important defenders were exempt from having to hit well are over.

And when we forgot that rule in '05, and didn't have a guy on our starting roster that hit at or over 300, we won the WS. This bull about everyone having to rip the cover off the ball to be valuable to the team stays in boston and new york.

Cuck_The_Fubs
08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Kerry Wood is not healthy.
Mark Prior is not healthy.
Matt Mantei is not healthy.
AJ Burnett is not healthy
Darin Erstad is not healthy
Joe Crede is not healthy

Time to cut the bait and move on. This team doesn't need any more false hope. He's simply not worth the gamble and he's an average third baseman.
Yeah, I agree with you that Crede is not healthy. However, saying that he is just average makes me mildly irritated. His glove cannot be replicated by any third basemen in the whole stinking mlb (excluding Chavez). His superb clutch hitting is as good as it gets. His power is superb, and he shows that he can hit for average. What isn't that you like about this guy?

Other than the fact that he may never be healthy again, I still wouldn't doubt that there is hope in this guy.

Railsplitter
08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Give him a couple multi homer games, with all homers coming with runners on base and he has a chance

santo=dorf
08-15-2007, 10:18 PM
No offense to you, santo=dorf, but I'm starting to get annoyed with people confusing hitting with defense when making blanket statements about players.

Joe Crede is a fantastic third baseman. He may be an average hitter, but he's excellent defensively.
Joe Crede is a well above average defensive player, especially as a third baseman, but his bat is not good (he is not an "average" hitter.) 3B is a position where you can get away with shaky defense as long as it is made up with a strong hitter. Why do you think hacks like Glaus and Ramirez have been playing there for so long?

santo=dorf
08-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with you that Crede is not healthy. However, saying that he is just average makes me mildly irritated. His glove cannot be replicated by any third basemen in the whole stinking mlb (excluding Chavez). His superb clutch hitting is as good as it gets. His power is superb, and he shows that he can hit for average. What isn't that you like about this guy?

Other than the fact that he may never be healthy again, I still wouldn't doubt that there is hope in this guy.
He has a bad approach to the plate. He doesn't strike out too much, but he doesn't walk AT ALL. Almost all of his production relies on putting the ball in play. So if Crede isn't getting the "breaks" or his "duck farts" are now being turned into flyouts, he has nothing to fall back on (see September 2006.) How many first pitch pop outs do we see from him?
Even in his peak, breakout, fluke year or whatever you want to call it, his OBP was only .323 which ranked him 20th amongst 22 qualified third basemen. Did you get that? In Crede's best year, he made outs at a greater rate than every regular third baseman with the exception of Brandon Inge and Pedro Feliz. That by definition makes him a below average hitter.

Here are Joe Crede's Clutch stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=credejo01&year=00
A-Rod's (Way More clutch)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=rodrial01&year=00
Aramis Ramirez (more clutch)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=ramirar01&year=00

Corlose 15
08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I have to laugh at all the medical experts here at WSI. Everyone was barking that Crede should have gotten the back surgery and its the only way he was going to be healthy despite that fact that EXPERTS advised him against it and now that he finally got it he still isn't going to be healthy.:rolleyes:

Why don't we wait until I dunno, at least April of next season before we make any determining judgments on Joe Crede's health?

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Welcome to modern baseball. The days when shortstops, catchers, and other important defenders were exempt from having to hit well are over.But unfortunately we are now in a day when players who hit well are exempt from having to defend well, and I don't think the game is better off for it.

Joe Crede is a well above average defensive player, especially as a third baseman, but his bat is not good (he is not an "average" hitter.) 3B is a position where you can get away with shaky defense as long as it is made up with a strong hitter. Why do you think hacks like Glaus and Ramirez have been playing there for so long?The corners are primarily offensive positions, but third isn't a throwaway position defensively. There's a reason Brooks Robinson is in the HOF, and it's not his bat.

Huisj
08-15-2007, 11:55 PM
He has a bad approach to the plate. He doesn't strike out too much, but he doesn't walk AT ALL. Almost all of his production relies on putting the ball in play. So if Crede isn't getting the "breaks" or his "duck farts" are now being turned into flyouts, he has nothing to fall back on (see September 2006.) How many first pitch pop outs do we see from him?
Even in his peak, breakout, fluke year or whatever you want to call it, his OBP was only .323 which ranked him 20th amongst 22 qualified third basemen. Did you get that? In Crede's best year, he made outs at a greater rate than every regular third baseman with the exception of Brandon Inge and Pedro Feliz. That by definition makes him a below average hitter.

Well then darn it, let's go sign stinking Morgan Ensberg. He can't hit, but at least he used to be able to walk a lot.

Here's a question that I don't actually know the answer to: how many teams who have recently won or gotten to the world series have been put together by an OBP or sabermetrically obsessed GM? How many have been there who were put together by looking at a balanced roster of different kinds of players with different strengths?

kjhanson
08-16-2007, 12:10 AM

When you post links to Baseball Reference stats, do you actually take a chance to sift through them?

I'm not sure why you're comparing Crede to A-Rod, unless it's to say that he's not as clutch as someone who has a tag of being a "choker". Even though that tag is ridiculous - Alex is a pretty consistent hitter regardless of the situation.

As far as Ramirez being more clutch..... huh!??

RISP:
Crede: .292/.348/.456/.804, .41 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .291/.361/.520/.881 .46 RBI/AB

Ramirez clearly has the edge, which seems to be in large part to better power, however in the MOST CLUTCH situations....

2 outs, RISP:
Crede: .281/.364/.432/.796, .35 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .238/.339/.467/.806, .35 RBI/AB

Late & Close:
Crede: .282/.340/.476/.816, .18 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .277/.340/.477/.817, .17 RBI/AB

In summation, Crede is not as clutch as the greatest hitter of our generation (shocker), but appears to be a bit more clutch than the 2nd best offensive 3b in baseball over the past five years.

santo=dorf
08-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Well then darn it, let's go sign stinking Morgan Ensberg. He can't hit, but at least he used to be able to walk a lot.

Here's a question that I don't actually know the answer to: how many teams who have recently won or gotten to the world series have been put together by an OBP or sabermetrically obsessed GM? How many have been there who were put together by looking at a balanced roster of different kinds of players with different strengths?

I wonder why that all shows up in teal.

The 2004 Red Sox are the answer to your question, but it's not the reason why they won. Look at all of the World Series winners' pitching staffs. That's the key.

FWIW, Morgan Ensberg has been playing very well since being traded to the Padres and his clutch numbers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=ensbemo01&year=00) are better than Crede's.
When you post links to Baseball Reference stats, do you actually take a chance to sift through them?

I'm not sure why you're comparing Crede to A-Rod, unless it's to say that he's not as clutch as someone who has a tag of being a "choker". Even though that tag is ridiculous - Alex is a pretty consistent hitter regardless of the situation.

As far as Ramirez being more clutch..... huh!??

RISP:
Crede: .292/.348/.456/.804, .41 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .291/.361/.520/.881 .46 RBI/AB

Ramirez clearly has the edge, which seems to be in large part to better power, however in the MOST CLUTCH situations....

2 outs, RISP:
Crede: .281/.364/.432/.796, .35 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .238/.339/.467/.806, .35 RBI/AB

Late & Close:
Crede: .282/.340/.476/.816, .18 RBI/AB
Ramirez: .277/.340/.477/.817, .17 RBI/AB

In summation, Crede is not as clutch as the greatest hitter of our generation (shocker), but appears to be a bit more clutch than the 2nd best offensive 3b in baseball over the past five years.
Ramirez's OPS is higher in each situation, and my post was more of a way of saying Crede isn't as clutch as his reputation is around here.

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Joe Crede is a well above average defensive player, especially as a third baseman, but his bat is not good (he is not an "average" hitter.) 3B is a position where you can get away with shaky defense as long as it is made up with a strong hitter. Why do you think hacks like Glaus and Ramirez have been playing there for so long?

I guess we disagree on the meaning of what "average" is. You want to define "average" among other players who play the same position. I guess I define it among all hitters who play any position.

Glaus and Ramirez are good/great hitters. They are not good third basemen.

Frater Perdurabo
08-16-2007, 06:27 AM
But unfortunately we are now in a day when players who hit well are exempt from having to defend well, and I don't think the game is better off for it.

The corners are primarily offensive positions, but third isn't a throwaway position defensively. There's a reason Brooks Robinson is in the HOF, and it's not his bat.

Amen.

Pitching was the reason the Sox won the World Series, and Crede played an important role in making the pitching better by making great defensive plays.

Unfortunately, that's lost on the "playstation/fantasy baseball" generation. :(:

Huisj
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I wonder why that all shows up in teal.

Ha, oops, I wrote the first sentence in teal and then I must have forgotten to switch back to reality.

PatK
08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Fields is playing better than Crede at the same time of his career.

Joe's health is a question mark, and isn't his agent Boras?

Back problems don't go away even with surgery- you can manage them, but they are always going to flare up. I can't see Joe being as good defensively as he was the last two years anymore.

I think we're slowly seeing the end of the Crede era.

spiffie
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Joe's health is a question mark, and isn't his agent Boras?
Yes, but for some reason Joe is exempt from being considered to be dealing with the devil by having Boras as his agent, unlike anyone else in baseball who signs with him.

balke
08-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I think we're slowly seeing the end of the Crede era.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk for saying this, but what an era it COULD'VE been. So much potential, but really it never fully came together. If his defense wasn't THAT awesome, he would've been gone a long time ago. Even with the D, Ozzie was ready get get rid of him a couple seasons ago if he couldn't get his avg. above .250.

I just hope this surgery helps him breakout so he can either stay or bring the Sox a lot in return for a trade. He's got the bat somewhere in there, I've never seen so many line-outs (besides Frank Thomas) in my life.

FarWestChicago
08-16-2007, 08:42 PM
The 2004 Red Sox are the answer to your question, but it's not the reason why they won. Look at all of the World Series winners' pitching staffs. That's the key.As you have had the honesty to admit, sabremetrics had nothing to do with the Wrong Sox title. So, the real answer to the original question is still--NONE (sort of). :smile:

DumpJerry
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to the original question)

The Dude
09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to the original question)

He's got a lot of promise if he can just get the average up. I like what I see! Nice job rookie!:gulp:

JermaineDye05
09-17-2007, 11:07 PM
He's got a lot of promise if he can just get the average up. I like what I see! Nice job rookie!:gulp:

If his average were up about .050 more points, he'd be right in there with the ROY voting. He still is but, with the amount of SO's and where his average sits right now I see him maybe getting 5th in the voting.

AJ Hellraiser
09-18-2007, 01:42 AM

As Hawk says "don't tell me what you're hitting.. tell me when you're hitting it".... he's hitting .235 but has 63 rbi meaning he is an absolute machine with runners on base

chaerulez
09-18-2007, 02:37 AM
As Hawk says "don't tell me what you're hitting.. tell me when you're hitting it".... he's hitting .235 but has 63 rbi meaning he is an absolute machine with runners on base

With RISP, he's hitting .276. and with men on in general .264. It's a lot better than .235, but not great either. I think it has more to do with that he hits a lot of doubles or home runs when he does get a hit.

wassagstdu
09-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Fields is not the answer at third and sure as heck not the answer in left. The Sox have plenty of DH/1B types. Trade Fields for some bullpen, not Garland.

DumpJerry
09-18-2007, 07:11 AM
If his average were up about .050 more points, he'd be right in there with the ROY voting. He still is but, with the amount of SO's and where his average sits right now I see him maybe getting 5th in the voting.
He is elgible for ROY voting next season because of his June call-up this year.

Malgar 12
09-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Fields is not the answer at third and sure as heck not the answer in left. The Sox have plenty of DH/1B types. Trade Fields for some bullpen, not Garland.

Trade a young cheap slugger for bullpen help? If you are going to trade 1B/DH types, which I am not necessarily endorsing, you trade Konerko and Thome before you trade Fields.

If they can't sign Garland to a reasonable extension, then he and his 12 million dollar salary should go.

JermaineDye05
09-18-2007, 08:12 AM

Are you sure about that? I think he's had too many at bats already.

JohnTucker0814
09-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Are you sure about that? I think he's had too many at bats already.

I agree, I think you qualify based on plate appearances and service time. If he was on the major league 25 man roster all year and only had 20 at bats, he still would not be eligible for ROY next year.

oeo
09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Fields is not the answer at third and sure as heck not the answer in left.

And you know this, how? Because he's played left field for ~20 games? He's learning the position on the fly, give the guy a break.

The Sox have plenty of DH/1B types. Trade Fields for some bullpen, not Garland.Yeah, trading a young player with a ton of talent that is cheap as dirt is always the right move. Instead, we'd rather keep the guy who is going to be a free agent after next year and won't be worth the $13+ million he will demand. I'm glad you're not Kenny Williams...we'd probably lose 130 games in a couple of years.

Nope. He has more than 130 ABs and 45 days on the active roster...making this his rookie year.

esbrechtel
09-18-2007, 09:47 AM
For you idiots who say Joe Crede is a poor clutch hitter and sucks on defense....
have you been a sox fan for 1 year? Not trying to live in the past but we won the WS because of him....Examples:
He had clutch hits against the indians in the regular season including a walk-off when it looked like CLE was going to catch us.
He had the 2 out hit at the end of game 2 against LAA to score the winning run
He single handedly won us game 1 of the WS....watch the game he had 3+ fantastic defensive plays and a homer
If aaron rowand would have learned how to run the bases Joe would have been WS MVP IMO
I think the sox know something if they are trying to move Fields to LF because I think you have a good left fielder in CF right now in owens...we wont know until next season....

soxfan13
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM

You would be the first person to ***** about the lack of young players coming up through the system too.

soxinem1
09-18-2007, 11:09 AM

Remember the Bobby Bonilla and Gregg Jefferies sagas?

Bobby Bo was on PIT major league DL most of 1985, and was disqualified as a rookie when he finally played in MLB for 1986.

The NYM held back Jefferies playing time in 1988 so he could just show up and take the ROY award the next year, which went to Jerome Walton instead.

I believe something like 40 games and 120 AB's kills ROY consideration going into the next season.

In 2008, Josh will be a Sophomore!

JermaineDye05
09-18-2007, 12:27 PM
In 2008, Josh will be a Sophomore!

He may also be an allstar if he keeps driving in runs at this pace, and gets his average up.

The Dude
09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
He may also be an allstar if he keeps driving in runs at this pace, and gets his average up.

Exactly, I think he will be a decent LF after he gets more work at it as well. I hope we keep Crede around at 3B because even though we always knew he was a stud 3rd baseman, we've actually seen life without him at 3rd and it sure isn't pretty!:o:

eastchicagosoxfan
09-22-2007, 04:48 AM
The thread should be retitled: Will Josh make it to 30 75? It's a stretch, but his performance suggests it's possible. He has 22 homers and 65 RBI's. His game has plenty of holes that have been touched upon in these forums, but he has produced.

SoxxoS
09-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Exactly, I think he will be a decent LF after he gets more work at it as well. I hope we keep Crede around at 3B because even though we always knew he was a stud 3rd baseman, we've actually seen life without him at 3rd and it sure isn't pretty!:o:

If Carlos Lee could become a decent LF, so can Fields.

And there were plenty of scouting reports about his speed and his ability to steal bases - But he didnt look that fast to me. Thoughts? The hamstring injury?

Hitmen77
09-22-2007, 11:03 PM
By the way, it looks like Josh will be back at 3B for the remainder of the season due to injuries to Cintron and Gonzalez.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070922&content_id=2223653&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
Andy Gonzalez's seventh-inning injury -- his right hand suffered a puncture wound requiring two stitches while making a play at third -- was the only negative of the day. With Alex Cintron unable to play because of a sore right thumb, Josh Fields will move back to third base for the remainder of the 2007 season.

Sockinchisox
09-22-2007, 11:12 PM
By the way, it looks like Josh will be back at 3B for the remainder of the season due to injuries to Cintron and Gonzalez.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070922&content_id=2223653&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

That kinda sucks.

DumpJerry
09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
That kinda sucks.
:tealpolice:

wassagstdu
09-23-2007, 08:38 AM
You would be the first person to ***** about the lack of young players coming up through the system too.

Garland is more likely to help the Sox get to the post-season in 2008 than Fields. And Fields may be a good player in a few years, but he is not now. And I do ***** about the quality of players coming up through the system. Fields' HR bat won't change that.

Dump Konerko before Fields? That' a tougher question. I think Konerko's play at first makes the whole infield better. Can Fields or anyone else do as well? Dunno. And Fields' hitting doesn't match Konerko's in a slump year.

Saving salary to use it elsewhere is obviously important. But I am just thinking about specific tradeoffs, not grand strategies. I am not KW. Also I am not thinking rebuilding, I am thinking win in 2008. Fields has more value to a rebuilding team, and if KW can get true value for him the Sox would gain by making that trade. Of course, true value is less than what some Sox fans who have a "home run derby" model assign to him.

oeo
09-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Garland is more likely to help the Sox get to the post-season in 2008 than Fields. And Fields may be a good player in a few years, but he is not now. And I do ***** about the quality of players coming up through the system. Fields' HR bat won't change that.

With this thought process, I guess you're ready to have another season like this one in a few years.

Look, if we're not going to re-sign Garland (we shouldn't), then we should get something for him while we can and maybe fill a hole. Trading away your cheap-as-dirt, young talent is not the way to go. Especially when you've got your starting 3B as an impending free agent...let's just go without a 3B in 2009.

Not everyone can spend money like the Yankees, and this is obviously what you're expecting from the Sox. You want to trade the very small amount of young talent that they have, and re-sign a bunch of veterans to massive contracts. Sounds like good business to me. I'm glad you're looking towards 2008, but you should also be looking towards 2009 and beyond, as well.

And Fields is a rookie this year, has only been playing since June, and already has 22 homeruns and 65 RBIs. He's already showing some good things...so he could be a 'good player' in 2008.

And Fields' hitting doesn't match Konerko's in a slump year.

Did Fields kill your dog, or what? I question whether you've even watched him play, because this statement is asinine.

MISoxfan
09-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Dump Konerko before Fields? That' a tougher question. I think Konerko's play at first makes the whole infield better. Can Fields or anyone else do as well? Dunno. And Fields' hitting doesn't match Konerko's in a slump year.

Saving salary to use it elsewhere is obviously important. But I am just thinking about specific tradeoffs, not grand strategies. I am not KW. Also I am not thinking rebuilding, I am thinking win in 2008. Fields has more value to a rebuilding team, and if KW can get true value for him the Sox would gain by making that trade. Of course, true value is less than what some Sox fans who have a "home run derby" model assign to him.

A-Rod first season
.235 5 hrs 19 rbis
Ventura
.249 5 HR 54 RBI (7th ROY)
Aramis Ramirez
.235 6 HR 24 RBI
Chipper Jones
.265 23 HR 86 RBI
Beltre
.215 7 hr 22 RBI

Its a shocker these third basemen made it past their rookie season by your expectations.

Patrick134
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Josh just named player of the week in the AL, way to go Josh !

sox1970
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Josh just named player of the week in the AL, way to go Josh !

Must have been all of the defensive gems.

ondafarm
09-24-2007, 09:37 PM
If Carlos Lee could become a decent LF, so can Fields. . . .

I still call that a subjunctive.