PDA

View Full Version : All time White Sox HR's

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
coming up on BBTN right now, if anyone's interested.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-12-2007, 12:52 PM
1. Podsednik's walk-off (duh)
2. Thomas sets the club record for HRs by hitting 3 in a game at Fenway in 96.
3. Baines walk off in the 25th inning in 83.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
BBTN Top 3

1. Pods walk off
2. Thomas sets record for most homers in franchise history with 3 in a game against the Red Sox.
3. Harold Baines walk off in the 25th inning

Noneck
08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
The espn producer must have been watching blowsox highlights when PK hit his series slam so he didn't include it.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 01:02 PM
The espn producer must have been watching blowsox highlights when PK hit his series slam so he didn't include it.

no, of the all time HR's I'm guessing PK's just missed the list. I think those were pretty good choices for the top 3, you had to include Pods and Thomas.

aryzner
08-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Personally I'm a big fan of Ventura's walk-off grand slam from July 1991!

TDog
08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
no, of the all time HR's I'm guessing PK's just missed the list. I think those were pretty good choices for the top 3, you had to include Pods and Thomas.

No, you don't have to include Frank Thomas. None of Thomas' home runs were as important or dramatic as Konerko's World Series grand slam. The only home run that wasn't from the 2005 postseason among the top three White Sox home runs of all time that comes close is the Ventura's July 1991 grand slam.

LITTLE NELL
08-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Opening day 1981 at old Comiskey; Fisk in his first White Sox home opener hits a 3 run homer. 51,000 fans had the rafters shaking. Thats in the top 5.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 01:49 PM
No, you don't have to include Frank Thomas. None of Thomas' home runs were as important or dramatic as Konerko's World Series grand slam. The only home run that wasn't from the 2005 postseason among the top three White Sox home runs of all time that comes close is the Ventura's July 1991 grand slam.

Well I'm guessing at least ESPN had to include the Big Hurt since he's one of the few White Sox players they actually know of.

NDSox12
08-12-2007, 01:53 PM
They probably could have made all three from the '05 World Series (Podsednik, Konerko, Blum), but I have no problem with throwing Baines and Thomas in there.

ode to veeck
08-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Iguchi's HR against the Red Sox in ALDS as it was key to the 1st Sox playoff series win in like 80 years

He gone
08-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I think Bo Jackson's 1st HR after coming back from Hip replacement surgery could get an Honerable mention.

balke
08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
The Sox were on the ropes a bit when Konerko hit his blast. It might be the most important HR period. They cruised through the playoffs after. I believe Konerkos blast came on the Sox last bullet? I just remember it being nearly impossible that it happened.

Madvora
08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Well I'm guessing at least ESPN had to include the Big Hurt since he's one of the few White Sox players they actually know of.
That's because he was on steroids.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2007, 03:51 PM
The Sox were on the ropes a bit when Konerko hit his blast. It might be the most important HR period. They cruised through the playoffs after. I believe Konerkos blast came on the Sox last bullet? I just remember it being nearly impossible that it happened.

No. It was well before the ninth inning (the 7th inning IIRC). It was early in the count, too (perhaps even the first pitch). I do believe there were two outs, though. The Sox were down by two. PK's granny put them up by two. The Astros tied the game in the top of the ninth. That set up Pods to hit the game-winning solo HR.

santo=dorf
08-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Bo Jackson in 1993.
Geoff Blum
Heck, they could've shown Borchard's 504 foot homer or Frank's 495 ft shot off of Santana

Dibbs
08-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Konerko's slam is definately in the top 3. Could easily be the #1 homer in White Sox history.

Patrick134
08-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Fields slam from last night could be in here too. similar to Venturas slam in late July 91.

Soxzilla
08-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Lol you're not even close, and you expect BBTN to pick it as the most important HR in White Sox history? Right....

Heck, why wasn't Paul Konerko's inside the parker in there....

And I guess winning 7-5 in 14 innings and 1-0 is considered "cruising" through the playoffs nowadays....

Corlose 15
08-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Don't forget Crede's HR off of Riske in late September of '05. HUGE!

santo=dorf
08-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Lol you're not even close, and you expect BBTN to pick it as the most important HR in White Sox history? Right....

Heck, why wasn't Paul Konerko's inside the parker in there....

And I guess winning 7-5 in 14 innings and 1-0 is considered "cruising" through the playoffs nowadays....

Not too mention Jenks blew it in the 9th of the very same game in which Konerko homered.

areilly
08-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm okay with their choices. Personally, I'd pick:

1) Pods' walk-off for the pure dramatic spectacle and for being so unexpected - slap hitter vs. great closer and what not
2) Bo's return in 1992
3) Crede's walkoff against the Tigers in July 2004 - not just because it put the Sox in 1st, but because I was there. Good memories.

Patrick134
08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm okay with their choices. Personally, I'd pick:

1) Pods' walk-off for the pure dramatic spectacle and for being so unexpected - slap hitter vs. great closer and what not
2) Bo's return in 1992
3) Crede's walkoff against the Tigers in July 2004 - not just because it put the Sox in 1st, but because I was there. Good memories.

Bo's blast was bigger for Bo than for the Sox. It was great though. Crede's was great, but i believe right after that the team went into a huge funk that ended their hopes that year.

TomBradley72
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
My Top 5:

Pods Walk Off in Game #2 of the 2005 World Series
Konerko's Grand Slam in Game #2 of the 2005 World Series
Blum's HR in extra innings of Game #3 of the 2005 World Series
Iguchi's HR in Game #2 of the 2005 ALDS
Bo Jackson's HR in the 1993 Western Division clincher vs. SeattleHonorable Mention:

Crede's HR vs. Indians to hold them off in late September 2005
AJ's HR to beat Los Angeles Dodgers in June 2005
Dick Allen's HR coming off the bench to beat the Yankees in 1972
Ventura's walk off grand slam vs. Rangers in 1991
Frank Thomas #400
Fisk setting the all time HR record for catchers in 1990
Ron Bloomberg's HR to win opening day 1978
Luzinski's first roof top shot in 1983.
Fisk's HR @ Boston Red Sox 1981
Kluzinski's HR vs. Dodgers in 1959 World Series

balke
08-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Well I know that if Konerko didn't his grandslam, the Sox had 4 less runs and most likely wouldn't have come back. If Pods didn't hit his, they'd be tied because of Paulie's HR. So which one was more important?

That was against a good bullpen, and it looked like the Sox were going to go on the road with a split series at home. They would've opened up the series to seeing Clemens again in Game 5 possibly. They didn't want to extend the series to a team that had Oswalt, Clemens, and Pettitte with Lidge. It was a huge spark.

I don't remember it perfectly because I haven't watched it since. I was lucky to see the game at all, I was in Europe at the time with limited internet and satellite. I thought that slam came in the 8th, but it did come in the 7th. I have it in my mind that it was the last bullet, because I had given up on the Sox winning the game at that point. If Konerko hadn't hit that, I just thought the Astros bullpen would mow down Everett, Rowand, Crede, AJ, Uribe, and Pods in order for the win. I've actualy mistaken that before, but it doesn't change the importance of it to me. Both were huge and important HR's though.

chisoxmike
08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Fields slam from last night could be in here too. similar to Venturas slam in late July 91.

:?:

What the ****? Please tell me this is all an act.

tacosalbarojas
08-12-2007, 11:55 PM
My Top 5:

Pods Walk Off in Game #2 of the 2005 World Series
Konerko's Grand Slam in Game #2 of the 2005 World Series
Blum's HR in extra innings of Game #3 of the 2005 World Series
Iguchi's HR in Game #2 of the 2005 ALDS
Bo Jackson's HR in the 1993 Western Division clincher vs. SeattleHonorable Mention:

Crede's HR vs. Indians to hold them off in late September 2005
AJ's HR to beat Los Angeles Dodgers in June 2005
Dick Allen's HR coming off the bench to beat the Yankees in 1972
Ventura's walk off grand slam vs. Rangers in 1991
Frank Thomas #400
Fisk setting the all time HR record for catchers in 1990
Ron Bloomberg's HR to win opening day 1978
Luzinski's first roof top shot in 1983.
Fisk's HR @ Boston Red Sox 1981
Kluzinski's HR vs. Dodgers in 1959 World SeriesNice list. My top five is just about what you have.

skottyj242
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
1. Ross Gloads grand slam against the Orioles last year.

2. Toby Hall in batting practice this year in Pitt.

3. Carlos Lees first major league at bat.

soxrme
08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I thought Crede's home run against Cleveland was one of the biggest ever. It was also one of Hawks best calls ever.

DumpJerry
08-13-2007, 01:12 PM

:?:

What the ****? Please tell me this is all an act.
I was at both games. Robin's Granny had the following qualities to it:
1. It was the 12th Dinger of the month for him (second of the night).
2. It was a walk-off that moved the Sox to within 1 game of first place.
3. 40,000+ people did not stop cheering for 10-15 minutes and then finally left hooting and hollering all the way outside the park. Outside the park there was a festive atmosphere that would have made something think the Sox had won the World Series.

Fields' Granny had the following qualities to it:
1. It got the Sox within one run of winning the game.
2. Once Fields got into the Dugout, the fans quieted down to see what Thome (and then Dye) could do.
3. There was no joy in Mudville as the fans filed out of the park.

PKalltheway
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I thought Crede's home run against Cleveland was one of the biggest ever. It was also one of Hawks best calls ever.
:hawk JOE CREDEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Railsplitter
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I was at the 1991 when Robin Ventura got that 8th inning granny. I agree with Dump Jerry's recollections (he must have been there, too) I have to admit I had World Series visions that night.

DumpJerry
08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
I was at the 1991 when Robin Ventura got that 8th inning granny. I agree with Dump Jerry's recollections (he must have been there, too) I have to admit I had World Series visions that night.
Yes, I was there. It was in the 9th inning, by the way. Another big difference between the two:
I have already had Fields' slam fade into memory, Robin's was still fresh in my mind to become my favorite Sox moment for my WSI profile when I registered here in 2003 (12 years later). It was finally replaced when I went to Game Two.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-14-2007, 11:30 PM
1. Scott Podsednik's walk off.

2. Paul Konerko's Grand Slam.

3. Happy Felsch's home run in game one of the 1917 World Series. (The homer made the difference in the game).

Some of you may not be old enough to remember the third.

soxinem1
08-14-2007, 11:30 PM
There have been a ton of thrillers, but two that I've been at, both involving Harold Baines, rank among my all-time favs, and I remember them like they were yesterday:

1984 in the 25 inning game versus MIL. Talk about a tired kid I was then. Then I watched Tom Seaver, the winner of that game, almost throw a CG in game two to win again. Juan Agosto with seven scoreless innings.... over two days. I had to use NOTEBOOK paper to finish keeping score.

I actually liked this one better from September 1983. The Sox are playing the then-California Angels at Comiskey. Losing 6-1 in the botom of the ninth. Geoff Zahn was throwing his usual 68 MPH fastball, whch the Sox could NEVER do anything with.

Rain threatening all night, drizzle keeps coming and going. Thunder and lightning almost the entire game.

Bannister and Barojas actually gave up runs in the 8th and 9th to help the Halo's pad their 6-1 lead.

This one looked lost.

Then came the bottom half of the ninth.

Sox score two quick runs to make it 6-3, then it downpours. This was one of the heaviest rainfalls I was ever at during a Sox game.

A couple hours later, the game resumes, and the Sox tie it up at 6!

Barojas stays in and pitches 4-5 innings and ends up the winning pitcher when Baines nails one in the 1th to win.

We all thought the World Series was coming to Chicago that year. It didn't, but boy that was a fun ride while it lasted.

SOX LA Mikey
08-15-2007, 03:28 AM
My top 3 (all witnessed in person)

#1 Pod's Gm2WS GW HR 2005 -Bonus: Paulie's Granny (same Game)
#2 Dick Allen's game winner vs Yankees game 2 of DH, June '72
(was there for my 10th Birthday) was it Bat day?
#3 another Birthday game (June '88?) Gary Redus walkoff Grand Slam
(was good & drunk for that one)

cws05champ
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I realize there is another thread with the BBTN top 3 Whitesox HR's, but it started to evolve into everyones top 3 HR. Which is really what it comes down to. Everyone has their own top three based on their generation and games they have actually been at....also ESPN doesn't know crap when it comes to the Whitesox, as we do here.

Anyways, here's my top 5:

1) Pods GW walkoff in Game 2
2) Paulie's Slam in game 2
3) Carlos Lee's walk off slam against the Cubs(good times, I beleive one of the last night games between the two teams)
4) Bo Jackson's HR in his comeback game
5) Joe Crede's GW shot against Cleveland- Sept 05

Have at it....

Railsplitter
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes, I was there. It was in the 9th inning, by the way. Another big difference between the two:
I have already had Fields' slam fade into memory, Robin's was still fresh in my mind to become my favorite Sox moment for my WSI profile when I registered here in 2003 (12 years later). It was finally replaced when I went to Game Two.
You're right, I hit the wrong a key and it's too late to edit now. :redface:

I saw from the upper tank, 3rd base side. I from there it looked like it would drop into the gap. that it cleared the fance made it all the better.

kingpin_rcs
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM

...as depicted in my signature.:smile:

Malgar 12
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
My Top 5:
Honorable Mention:
Kluzinski's HR vs. Dodgers in 1959 World Series

Does Dr. Frankenstein work for the Sox now?

Frontman
08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Pods' homer doesn't get any more dramatic, unless its game seven and a walkoff for the Series Win.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Another forgotten goodie: June 02 vs the Cubs. Sox down 8-0 after 3. They fight their way back to tie it at 8 in the 6th. With Mags on 1st, PK deposits one into the left field bullpen. Cubs fans hang their heads in disgust. Sox go on to win.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
LA MIkey:

Yes it was bat day. I was there in the right center field bleachers lower deck. Ahhh the famous (or infamous?) Taco Game!

Lip

billcissell
08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes, the homers by Pods and PK in post-season play were huge in White Sox history.

But Crede's homer in September, 2005 against the Indians was enormous. If the Sox drop that game they risk not even going to the playoffs. Crede's blast held off a late-season red-hot surge by Cleveland that had reduced the Sox lead to just a few games.

Looking at it from a historical perspective, Crede's homer may have ignited the Sox on their way to the championship.

From a personal standpoint, Nicholson's rooftop blast in 1963 was really cool. I remember WGN-TV tracked down some kid in the park beyond left field who had retrieved the ball. No one could really tell if the ball cleared the roof or hit the top and skimmed over.

It was probably the highlight of Nicholson's ill-fated career with the Sox. He and his peek-a-boo stance were dispatched out of town a few years later after he proved to be a real strikeout king who rarely connected for the long one.

Rounding_Third
08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
3 of the top 10 have to be Paulie's HR's in ALDS game 3 in Boston and ALCS games 3 & 4 in Anaheim. In Boston, it was a monster blast against a good knuckleballer, Wakeman, in the 6th after Boston had tied it, setting up Hernandez's epic performance in the bottom of the inning. And we were only 1-1 heading to the west coast and the series was up for grabs. Both HR's were 1st inning blasts, staking our starters to leads on the road. I'll especially cherrish the 3-run bomb in game 4 after Santana took his time putting his glove down and getting all pretty before the 3-2 pitch. He sure wasted his time because all we saw was his back. Paulie, I love you man!

Rounding_Third
08-18-2007, 10:29 AM
3 of the top 10 have to be Paulie's HR's in ALDS game 3 in Boston and ALCS games 3 & 4 in Anaheim. In Boston, it was a monster blast against a good knuckleballer, Wakeman, in the 6th after Boston had tied it, setting up Hernandez's epic performance in the bottom of the inning. And we were only 1-1 heading to the west coast and the series was up for grabs. Both HR's were 1st inning blasts, staking our starters to leads on the road. I'll especially cherrish the 3-run bomb in game 4 after Santana took his time putting his glove down and getting all pretty before the 3-2 pitch. He sure wasted his time because all we saw was his back. Paulie, I love you man!

P.S. Combined with his slam in the Series, is there any Sox player more clutch in the franchise's history?

soxinem1
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Another forgotten goodie: June 02 vs the Cubs. Sox down 8-0 after 3. They fight their way back to tie it at 8 in the 6th. With Mags on 1st, PK deposits one into the left field bullpen. Cubs fans hang their heads in disgust. Sox go on to win.

I remember that game. KWood started and got bombed.

Didn't Konerko hit two in that one?

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I remember that game. KWood started and got bombed.

Didn't Konerko hit two in that one?

Yes. He hit one to make it 8-4, then hit the go ahead home run to make it 10-8.