PDA

View Full Version : Bonds coming to 35th St?

Fenway
08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Boston Globe baseball writer Nick Cafardo said this morning on ESPN Boston that KW maybe the only GM willing to hire Bonds in 2008 because of their long friendship that dates back to high school.

Madvora
08-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Would JR even allow something like this? I never heard any opinions about Bonds from JR, so I don't know how he feels.
I can't see him anywhere but SF. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Frontman
08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
If it happens, I'll cut down on my attendance.

southside rocks
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Boston Globe baseball writer Nick Cafardo said this morning on ESPN Boston that KW maybe the only GM willing to hire Bonds in 2008 because of their long friendship that dates back to high school.

It's entirely up to Kenny? He owns and manages the club? Ozzie said he wouldn't want to manage the guy -- he said it last week in comments in the Chicago papers. Ozzie and KW cleaned house when Ozzie got here and let go of players who expected even a fraction of the star treatment that Bonds does. (Carlos Lee, see ya later!) Bonds addresses none of the holes on the current Sox team, and would cost Jim Thome -- a huge favorite with management and fans -- his job.

Um, really, that's more ridiculous than even some of the trade threads that get posted on internet boards.

This is just another silly sportswriter throwing **** on paper and calling it a story, IMO. But why not, they get paid for it.

getonbckthr
08-12-2007, 10:36 AM
He would hit an easy 35-40 homers at the Cell

oeo
08-12-2007, 10:56 AM

:roflmao:

KW wouldn't sign him because he doesn't like 'me first' guys. Besides, what the hell would we do with Bonds? Would some of these writers actually think before putting the ink to the paper?

Rockabilly
08-12-2007, 11:02 AM
If Bonds can help bring us back to the World Series than I have no problem with it

voodoochile
08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I can just picture the cubune headlines now...

Sox sign biggest steroid junkie ever!
A look back at the pureness that was ShamME* Sosa's career in Chicago and an interview with Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas.
When asked how he felt about Williams signing of B*nds, Frank was paraphrased as saying, "Kenny threw me away and now he goes out and signs a steroid freak. I told you he was an *******!" We agree, Big man, we agree...

chaerulez
08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
I would boo him everytime he comes up to bat. I will never ever cheer for his man. Not only is he a cheater, he is an absolute piece of **** for a human being. But in reality, Selig and JR are pretty good friends. Selig doesn't like Bonds. Would JR really want to bring a circus that Selig wants no part of basically to his doorstep? (Milwaukee isn't that far away)

Frontman
08-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Wait, I just re-read what you said. ESPN Boston? Isn't that redundant? :wink:

gosox41
08-12-2007, 11:28 AM

KW made a comment earlier this season about how Bonds wouldn't be a good fit.

Bob

Rockabilly
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I would boo him everytime he comes up to bat. I will never ever cheer for his man. Not only is he a cheater, he is an absolute piece of **** for a human being. But in reality, Selig and JR are pretty good friends. Selig doesn't like Bonds. Would JR really want to bring a circus that Selig wants no part of basically to his doorstep? (Milwaukee isn't that far away)

Did you cheer for Albert Belle

soxfanreggie
08-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Only way I would even consider having Bonds play here (which is a tough decision because of all the negative publicity) would be if he was very, very cheap (talking just a few million with heavy incentives). I think he's at the point in his career where he would do anything for a WS victory. I also wouldn't mind a chance to catch his last HR ball because that would mean Sox season tickets for life.

However, if we won a WS or two with him, I think some people would be ok with that. Am I one of them? Don't know. Is he 'clean' now? I would guess if he's continuing to play without being suspended that he is because you know that Selig would do anything to get him out of the game.

voodoochile
08-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Did you cheer for Albert Belle

I did and I would have cheered for Bonds too in 1996...

JermaineDye05
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Ozzie stated that Barry is one player he would not want on this team. Kenny wouldn't add someone that would disrupt this chemistry.

southside rocks
08-12-2007, 12:05 PM
It is early November 2007. Ken Williams, Jerry Riensdorf, and Ozzie Guillen are meeting in KWís office at US Cellular Field.

KW: Jerry, Ozzie, I called you here because I want to tell you in person -- this is very exciting news -- Iíve signed Barry Bonds to a 3-year contract.

OG: WHAT?

JW: YOU WHAT? What were you thinking, Kenny? Have you lost your mind? Have our legal department get out of this right now!

KW: No, guys, itís going to work out great --

OG: {drops several f-bombs} What are you doing? Jerry, what is this? You guys told me you would get me relief pitchers! Barry Bonds is no relief pitcher! Kenny, you said we were going to go after Jose Reyes this winter, so I donít get another ulcer over Uribe! What happened to those plans?

KW: Well, we wonít be able to afford Reyes now, Ozzie. Iím sure you can see that. Iíve got a kid in AA that will do really well at shortstop -- oh, I already got rid of Juan, too. Had to free up salary.

OG: What about my bullpen!!!! {drops several more f-bombs}

KW: Dewon Day is just about ready, Oz. And David Aardsmaís made extraordinary progress in AAA. And did we ever really give Cliff Politte a chance after his surgery? I think not!

JW: Kenny, what have you done here and more importantly, why have you done it? We had a plan for this club for the next 5 years. This wasnít it. Iím trying to see your side of this before I just lower the boom on you and throw your ass out into the street.

KW: Okay, hereís the deal: Iím friends with Barry.

JR: I know that. I try not to think less of you for it, but why does that matter here?

KW: We went to school together.

OG: Big deal! {drops some more f-bombs} I was in reform school with Ugueth Urbina when we were kids and you donít let me hire HIM, even though I need bullpen help!

JR: Kenny, where is Barry going to play?

KW: Well, clearly, heís got to DH.

JR: What about --

KW: Jim Thome? I traded him to Texas for Brandon McCarthy.

OG: You WHAT? Jim Thome is gone? We need him! Heís a veteran, the kids look up to him! Heís made such a difference to Bobby Jenks and to Josh Fields, and you got rid of him? No, I wonít do this, I wonít be manager here, this cannot be.

KW: Come on, you guys, I donít think you are getting what Iím trying to tell you here: I am the only GM who would hire Bonds, because we have been friends since our school days.

JR: The guy screwed the game of baseball, every owner, every fan, and most of the players in the game -- and you bring him to my team? What possible benefit can he give to the White Sox, Kenny?

The head of ticket sales enters the office.

HTS: Um, I thought this was important enough to interrupt you gentlemen -- Barry Bonds has told the media that he signed with the White Sox and 80% of our season ticket holders just cancelled, and the phones are still ringing.

OG: I quit. Iím going to manage the Marlins, they will let me pick my players and the stadium is a mile from my house.

JR: This turns my stomach. Iím putting the team up for sale and going back to basketball.

Barry Bonds enters the room.

BB: Kenny, get me a diet coke with extra ice, and hurry up with it.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-12-2007, 12:05 PM
First, I don't think he will be coming to 35th.

Second, not knowing fully what the writer said, but I think he was probably just making the point that it is going to be difficult for Barry to find a job this winter. Yes, he has a connection with KW and that might help, but it still may not land him a job.

HawkDJ
08-12-2007, 12:36 PM
This was brought up last off season. It didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now.

kevin57
08-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think for a moment that Bonds would help the Sox advance one baby step towards another WS. It's all about Barry...all the time. He would be a distraction at best and a detriment at worst.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2007, 03:10 PM
OG: Big deal! {drops some more f-bombs} I was in reform school with Ugueth Urbina when we were kids and you donít let me hire HIM, even though I need bullpen help!:roflmao:

areilly
08-12-2007, 04:16 PM

This is just another silly sportswriter throwing **** on paper and calling it a story, IMO. But why not, they get paid for it.

It's not a story; it's speculation. Cafardo didn't say Bonds IS coming to the Sox, nor did he say Williams is even interested. He said Bonds is essentially homeless, and even long-time friendships might not be enough to find him a contract next year. Even then, the angle he's building off of (Fenway, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't listen to Boston radio) is this:

Clearly, there aren't many destinations for Bonds. Most teams -- including the Giants, unless they're desperate to sell tickets -- will pass on the 43-year-old slugger.

Which makes it entirely possible that if Bonds, who has visions of 800 home runs dancing in his head, does want to play next season, he might find either no takers or he'll have to play for short money and love of the game.

The full column is here (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/08/09/marked_man/), and Cafardo does a good job of pointing out what an unemployable loser Bonds really is. Calm down people.

oeo
08-12-2007, 04:25 PM
It's not a story; it's speculation. Cafardo didn't say Bonds IS coming to the Sox, nor did he say Williams is even interested. He said Bonds is essentially homeless, and even long-time friendships might not be enough to find him a contract next year. Even then, the angle he's building off of (Fenway, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't listen to Boston radio) is this:

Regardless of how he said it, he's still wrong even mentioning the Sox. There's about a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of him signing here.

areilly
08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Regardless of how he said it, he's still wrong even mentioning the Sox. There's about a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of him signing here.

Was it wrong of him to also mention the Giants, Yankees, Orioles, A's, Twins, Tigers and Pirates? I'd say his odds are about the same with any of those as well.

soxinem1
08-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Was it wrong of him to also mention the Giants, Yankees, Orioles, A's, Twins, Tigers and Pirates? I'd say his odds are about the same with any of those as well.

I could see him going back to PIT in a heartbeat, and if the price is right, they will take him. They need the gate attraction, and he would help their lineup.

As far as coming here? About as likely as Thomas and Magglio coming back any time soon.

pierzynski07
08-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Is he wrong because Bonds wasn't really friends with KW? Or is he wrong because you don't want him on the team?

MCHSoxFan
08-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I would HATE for him to be on the team. I have no comment on him playing on the team. I am talking about him as a person. All of the batboys would have pure hell. :angry: He better NOT get signed. And if he does, I will want to be moved into the VIS clubhouse.

thomas35forever
08-12-2007, 09:30 PM
It is early November 2007. Ken Williams, Jerry Riensdorf, and Ozzie Guillen are meeting in KWís office at US Cellular Field.

KW: Jerry, Ozzie, I called you here because I want to tell you in person -- this is very exciting news -- Iíve signed Barry Bonds to a 3-year contract.

OG: WHAT?

JW: YOU WHAT? What were you thinking, Kenny? Have you lost your mind? Have our legal department get out of this right now!

KW: No, guys, itís going to work out great --

OG: {drops several f-bombs} What are you doing? Jerry, what is this? You guys told me you would get me relief pitchers! Barry Bonds is no relief pitcher! Kenny, you said we were going to go after Jose Reyes this winter, so I donít get another ulcer over Uribe! What happened to those plans?

KW: Well, we wonít be able to afford Reyes now, Ozzie. Iím sure you can see that. Iíve got a kid in AA that will do really well at shortstop -- oh, I already got rid of Juan, too. Had to free up salary.

OG: What about my bullpen!!!! {drops several more f-bombs}

KW: Dewon Day is just about ready, Oz. And David Aardsmaís made extraordinary progress in AAA. And did we ever really give Cliff Politte a chance after his surgery? I think not!

JW: Kenny, what have you done here and more importantly, why have you done it? We had a plan for this club for the next 5 years. This wasnít it. Iím trying to see your side of this before I just lower the boom on you and throw your ass out into the street.

KW: Okay, hereís the deal: Iím friends with Barry.

JR: I know that. I try not to think less of you for it, but why does that matter here?

KW: We went to school together.

OG: Big deal! {drops some more f-bombs} I was in reform school with Ugueth Urbina when we were kids and you donít let me hire HIM, even though I need bullpen help!

JR: Kenny, where is Barry going to play?

KW: Well, clearly, heís got to DH.

JR: What about --

KW: Jim Thome? I traded him to Texas for Brandon McCarthy.

OG: You WHAT? Jim Thome is gone? We need him! Heís a veteran, the kids look up to him! Heís made such a difference to Bobby Jenks and to Josh Fields, and you got rid of him? No, I wonít do this, I wonít be manager here, this cannot be.

KW: Come on, you guys, I donít think you are getting what Iím trying to tell you here: I am the only GM who would hire Bonds, because we have been friends since our school days.

JR: The guy screwed the game of baseball, every owner, every fan, and most of the players in the game -- and you bring him to my team? What possible benefit can he give to the White Sox, Kenny?

The head of ticket sales enters the office.

HTS: Um, I thought this was important enough to interrupt you gentlemen -- Barry Bonds has told the media that he signed with the White Sox and 80% of our season ticket holders just cancelled, and the phones are still ringing.

OG: I quit. Iím going to manage the Marlins, they will let me pick my players and the stadium is a mile from my house.

JR: This turns my stomach. Iím putting the team up for sale and going back to basketball.

Barry Bonds enters the room.

BB: Kenny, get me a diet coke with extra ice, and hurry up with it.
Haha, I love it!

Seriously though, no cheaters on the Chicago White Sox.

Rockabilly
08-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I root for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back of it.. So if he is a part of the Sox next year and bring us a championship im all for it..

Fenway
08-12-2007, 09:40 PM

The full column is here (http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/08/09/marked_man/), and Cafardo does a good job of pointing out what an unemployable loser Bonds really is. Calm down people.

All Cafardo said was that KW might be the only GM that would even consider it......

He won't be back with the Giants...but somebody out of 29 teams will....

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
No Barroid.

Frontman
08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Haha, I love it!

Seriously though, no cheaters on the Chicago White Sox.

Unless they are "selling" a dropped third strike. :wink:

TornLabrum
08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
All Cafardo said was that KW might be the only GM that would even consider it......

He won't be back with the Giants...but somebody out of 29 teams will....

Unless he's in Levinworth.

Tragg
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Just what this team needs: gimmicks, contrivances, insider deals.

eriqjaffe
08-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Would the talent of Barry Bonds improve the team? Probably.

Would the firestorm of criticism be unbearable? Definitely.

I'd rather the Sox sign Gary "U.S." Bonds, and he's 68 years old.

ChiSoxlukes
08-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Do I like the guy? No. He is a me-first player. Do I care that he did steroids? No not at all. A lot of guys did and it was part of the game for a 10 year period whether we want to admit it or not. Look at his stats for this year and last year.
2006 26 Hr .270 .454 OBP
2007 24 Hr .280 .497 OBP

These numbers would be great in our lineup. However he can't play a full season any more with his age. I also don't know if KW would want him in that clubhouse since KW seems to be a believer in team chemistry. You can't deny that the middle of the order would be sick though.
Thome, Konerko, Bonds, Dye
So do I want Bonds on this team? I honestly don't know and I am glad I'm not KW.

DumpJerry
08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
He would hit an easy 35-40 homers at the Cell
Not from the kind of cell he'll be in......

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Is he 'clean' now? I would guess if he's continuing to play without being suspended that he is because you know that Selig would do anything to get him out of the game.They are still not testing for HGH, because the union won't allow it.

Railsplitter
08-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Syeriods or no, do we really need a guy who will turn 44 next season?

The Immigrant
08-13-2007, 08:17 AM
They are still not testing for HGH, because the union won't allow it.

There's also no effective way to test for HGH. Even blood tests are not reliable enough.

IlliniSox4Life
08-13-2007, 08:48 AM
It would be interesting if he is signed. Hopefully it's for near the minimum salary if it ever happened (not going to).

I think Sox fans would boo him out of the park, even if he was on our team. He has to go to some small town team that is struggling, it's the only place he'll fit.

soltrain21
08-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Syeriods or no, do we really need a guy who will turn 44 next season?

Well, I think Jose C is 53 already.

DumpJerry
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't expect this clown to finish the '07 campaign. He will develop an "injury" which will require a trip to the DL and then in November announce he wants to spend time with the family.

areilly
08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I think Sox fans would boo him out of the park, even if he was on our team.

That would be awesome for so many reasons.

No teal implied. Or needed.

Chips
08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic5559_29.gif

KRS1
08-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't expect this clown to finish the '07 campaign. He will develop an "injury" which will require a trip to the DL and then in November announce he wants to spend time with the family.

That would require him to put aside his ego, and forget about reaching 3,000 hits. He'll grind out his knees for those 82 hits.

RadioheadRocks
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
No Barroid.

Seconded.