PDA

View Full Version : Jack Cust, a pleasant suprise...

soxinem1
08-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I for one, have always wondered 'what if' if this guy was ever given a real chance to play every day, or at least somewhat regularly at the major League level.

In addition to feel good stories like Rick Ankiel, this has to be one of the bigger individual pleasant suprises of the 2007 season.

It's great to see a guy persevere through excellent minor league seasons, only to be practically ignored at call up time.

The killer is, many of the teams who gave up on him could have afforded him more of a chance, as they were in need of some power hitting.

Huisj
08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
He's definitely got power, and he can draw walks like crazy, so he fits in with Oakland's philosophy. The alarming thing are his strikeouts. He's got over 100 k's and he's only played in about 80 games. He's put up some monstrous strikeout totals over his career (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Jack-Cust.shtml).

chaerulez
08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
If a player can keep up a OPS of .920, he's pretty good, strikeouts aside. There's also a theory that strikeouts aren't as bad as once thought, because they usually drive up pitch counts and they tend to even out with double play balls.

DSpivack
08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
If a player can keep up a OPS of .920, he's pretty good, strikeouts aside. There's also a theory that strikeouts aren't as bad as once thought, because they usually drive up pitch counts and they tend to even out with double play balls.

As a long as a guy gets on base a decent amount I think strikeouts can be excused. Thome seems like a good example of this.

chaerulez
08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
As a long as a guy gets on base a decent amount I think strikeouts can be excused. Thome seems like a good example of this.

Adam Dunn as well.

Huisj
08-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I've read the stuff that says strikeouts aren't that big of a deal, but I think they still can lead to some trouble at times. It seems like a guy who strikes out a ton might be more susceptible to long slumps if they go through a stretch where they don't put the ball in play much. It also seems like it takes high k guys longer to adjust to the major leagues when they come up because pitchers can take advantage of holes in their swing. Then again I'm not much of a scout, so who knows.

Oblong
08-14-2007, 04:16 PM
After his weekend series in Detroit, I started calling him a variation of Joe Cust, or Jack Crede.... because he's a Tiger Killer.

Crede_Fan
08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
After his weekend series in Detroit, I started calling him a variation of Joe Cust, or Jack Crede.... because he's a Tiger Killer.

Looks to be a Sox Killer now. :(:

soxinem1
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Looks to be a Sox Killer now. :(:

Yep. A couple real long bombs there.....

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I was thinking about this thread when Cust was laying the smack down on Garland tonite.:(: