PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-12

Lip Man 1
08-11-2007, 12:42 PM
August 12, 1990 - The Sox set, what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain.

The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest starting at 1PM Central time. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, the Sox waited until the evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted seven hours and 23 minutes!!! As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header the following week.

Lip

TheVulture
08-11-2007, 12:54 PM
As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header the following week.

Lip

No wonder. Who wants to play a DH at Texas in the middle of august?

Lip Man 1
08-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Vulture:

Espcially since the first game went 13 innings, the Sox lost it 1-0, and there was a brawl out by second base.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
?????
I thought they eventually played this game with only a few hundred or so fans remaining in the seats.
I must have this confused with a different long rain delay from 1990 or so...

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
East:

Nope. Game was called, made up in Texas as part of a twi night DH where Fisk set the HR mark.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
East:

Nope. Game was called, made up in Texas as part of a twi night DH where Fisk set the HR mark.

Lip
Do you have any recollection of the game I'm talking about?
I'm almost sure I remember the Sox playing a game (around 1990 or so) in which there was such a long rain delay that by the time the game was completed the fans in the stands numbered in the hundreds.
I remember remarking that on TV it sounded like a little league game -- you could clearly hear the shouts of individual fans.
Maybe my Sox memory is just getting fuzzy...

Chez
08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
When the Sox played the make-up game in Arlington, were they the home team -- did they bat in the bottom of the inning?
Otherwise doesn't seem fair.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Chez:

Nope they were the road team and this became a factor since Texas scored in the last of the 13th inning to win it 1-0.

I know the Sox were really angry about losing the home game but basically they were SOL because it was the last time in for Texas.

Lip

jdm2662
08-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Chez:

Nope they were the road team and this became a factor since Texas scored in the last of the 13th inning to win it 1-0.

I know the Sox were really angry about losing the home game but basically they were SOL because it was the last time in for Texas.

Lip

They also didn't want to face Ryan again. Ryan pulled his bs by plunking Grebeck in the ribs on his first pitch to him. Hibbard than plunked the first guy he faced the next inning. A brawl started. Of course, Ryan, being the true sportsman that he is, sat in the dug out during the whole mele. He magically got out after it was all over. I wish someone would've jumped his ass right afterward. Hell, Torborg was in the middle of the brawl and did his share to help.