PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Players to Play for the Sox in the 1990's

beausox
04-06-2002, 07:14 PM
The best sox team of the 90's has been posted, here our the worst players to wear a Sox uni in the 90's, all it takes is 1 appearance as a Sox.

C-Jerry Williard
1B-Carlos Martinez
2B-Chad Fonville
SS-Domingo Cedeno
3B-Eddie Williams
LF-Joe Hall
CF-Rodney McCray
RF-Shawn Jeter
DH-Matt Stark

SP-Jerry Kutzler
SP-Jeff Darwin
SP-Jamie Navarro
SP-Carlos Castillo
SP-Scott Ruffcorn

RP-Tim Fortugno
RP-Atlee Hammeker
RP-Rod Bolton
RP-Steve Rosenberg

oldcomiskey
04-06-2002, 08:05 PM
I dont remember hammaker pitching for the Sox

RichH55
04-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by beausox
The best sox team of the 90's has been posted, here our the worst players to wear a Sox uni in the 90's, all it takes is 1 appearance as a Sox.

C-Jerry Williard
1B-Carlos Martinez
2B-Chad Fonville
SS-Domingo Cedeno
3B-Eddie Williams
LF-Joe Hall
CF-Rodney McCray
RF-Shawn Jeter
DH-Matt Stark

SP-Jerry Kutzler
SP-Jeff Darwin
SP-Jamie Navarro
SP-Carlos Castillo
SP-Scott Ruffcorn

RP-Tim Fortugno
RP-Atlee Hammeker
RP-Rod Bolton
RP-Steve Rosenberg

Jeff Darwin or Danny Darwin?

SOXSINCE'70
04-06-2002, 09:14 PM
And where are Cory Snyder,Dan Pasqua,George Bell,and Steve Sax?? I mean,c'mon.You can't have an all worst team without them.Oh,my pick for manager is Barry Tevington (Terry Bevington).

:firenardi

"Once again,WHY DO I HAVE A #$%^ ING JOB??"

Stop Nardi before he ruins Beuhrle and Ritchie!!

oldcomiskey
04-06-2002, 09:17 PM
I just want to know one thing---when did atlee pitch for the sox

SOXSINCE'70
04-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

I think it was in 1996 or '97.Hey,I forgot a pitcher who should be nominated for his "I'm Tired" shpiel during the '96 campaign alone.

Willie "The Whale" Alvarez

MarqSox
04-06-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by beausox

C-Jerry Williard
1B-Carlos Martinez
2B-Chad Fonville
SS-Domingo Cedeno
3B-Eddie Williams
LF-Joe Hall
CF-Rodney McCray
RF-Shawn Jeter
DH-Matt Stark

I don't think it's fair to put Joe Hall on that list. The guy was OK, he showed some flashes of potential. If I recall correctly, he had a career-ending knee injury just as he began playing well. I'd move to take him off the list if only because he didn't get a full shot.

Also, how could we leave Slappy off the list? Christ, that guy was such a bust I can't even remember his real name now.

SOXSINCE'70
04-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I don't think it's fair to put Joe Hall on that list. The guy was OK, he showed some flashes of potential. If I recall correctly, he had a career-ending knee injury just as he began playing well. I'd move to take him off the list if only because he didn't get a full shot.

Also, how could we leave Slappy off the list? Christ, that guy was such a bust I can't even remember his real name now.

Is Slappy Joey Cora??

MarqSox
04-06-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

Is Slappy Joey Cora??

This is so sad, I just had to refer to my 2000 media guide. Mike Caruso. Remember that sad sack? Had one redeeming game in his life, on my 18th birthday against the Cubs.

Daver
04-06-2002, 09:30 PM

This is so sad, I just had to refer to my 2000 media guide. Mike Caruso. Remember that sad sack? Had one redeeming game in his life, on my 18th birthday against the Cubs.

Mike Caruso was a good prospect that Ron Schueler ruined by rushing him onto the roster to show something from the White flag trade,had he been allowed to develop he would be the starting SS today.

DrCrawdad
04-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hammaat01.shtml

SOXSINCE'70
04-06-2002, 10:35 PM

The next day,I spent $150.00 on a locksmith who duplicated the key to my car.The original broke in the ignition the previous day,just after Slappy's homer.The dealer's duplicate did not work.I wish i'd known that when I bought the car.

Procol Harum
04-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by daver
Mike Caruso was a good prospect that Ron Schueler ruined by rushing him onto the roster to show something from the White flag trade,had he been allowed to develop he would be the starting SS today.

Daver, I think you'd have to qualify that scuttlebutt said he was supposed to be a good prospect (whatever that's supposed to be worth--they said the same thing about Scott Ruffkorn and the Flubs' own Brooks Keeshnick) and that he "might" have become the starting shortstop by now. I agree that he was rushed, but the kid was also a tool from everything that we heard and as dumb as a bag of doorknobs. Ultimately, maybe if he'd have been kept in the minors another 2 years he might have been saved from himself.
:schueler
"Caruso was just another part of our master plan for getting to Point C---or was it part of the journey to getting a C-? I fergit."

RedPinStripes
04-06-2002, 11:05 PM
What about Steve Lyons?

MattSharp
04-07-2002, 04:06 AM
I remeber how Scott Ruffcorn was once pegged as like the future ace and he never amounted to anything.

I think we should make an all letdown team.

I mean the post you guys made is great, but a lot of those guys were never expeected to be good. What about guys that never lived up to the hype.

Ruffcorn and Caruso would surely be on there. Rod Bolton too prolly....

spaz
04-07-2002, 12:12 PM
It was very short lived but someone who pitched bad for the sox is

ken hill

one of the worst starts for the sox ever!

RedPinStripes
04-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by spaz
It was very short lived but someone who pitched bad for the sox is

ken hill

one of the worst starts for the sox ever!

I don't even consider him a roster member. Adam Peterson really sucked too.

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2002, 12:24 PM
A couple of more immortals on the pitching side:

Marvin Freeman and Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd.

Where does Kirk McCaskill fall in this group??

MarqSox
04-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70

Where does Kirk McCaskill fall in this group??

Oh man, don't be downing McCaskill! He was on the hill when the Sox clinched the 1993 AL West!

I'll never forget that SportsChannel commercial when they showed McCaskill in slow motion turn around after a Mariners player hit a fly ball to right to end the game. McCaskill then turns back with this awesome look on his face, he jumps in the air and is mobbed by Sox. Then it fades to "SportsChannel. Home of Champions." What a great ad. Anybody have that on tape? :smile: