08-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Good all around game.

And Bobby continues his streak...ties the AL record at 38. :D:

Railsplitter
08-10-2007, 10:49 PM
We shall have our dancing banana:bandance:

thedudeabides
08-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Congrats Bobby on tying a pretty cool record!!!

johnnyg83
08-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Does that tie Bobby for the AL record for consecutive outs?

Noneck
Whats the major league record?

HotelWhiteSox
Is Selig flying in? David Wells in attendance? I hear he's not too busy

Tragg
08-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Nice win.
Congrats to Jenks. He's a rock.

I'd still like to see the young players play, instead of Ozzie's hackers (so that next year doesn't repeat this year). But wishing for that is howling at the moon.

HotelWhiteSox

thedudeabides

WizardsofOzzie
:winner

oeo
08-10-2007, 10:52 PM
And how about this Fields guy? He's a keeper.

JB98
08-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Nice hackers.

I'd still like to see the young players play, instead of Ozzie's hackers (so that next year doesn't repeat this year). But wishing for that is howling at the moon.

Richar and Fields played. Owens got the night off against a lefty. Jerry has been struggling on the homestand.

Who is not in there that you want in there?

oeo
Nice hackers.

Owens has been playing every day...a day off was due (especially with the way he's been swinging). None of these guys have missed consecutive games, I don't get what the problem is.

JermaineDye05
Jenks just needs 1 more 1-2-3 inning to tie the record, easier said then done. Congrtats to Bobby.

Marqhead
What's gotten into the bullpen?

Corlose 15
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
And how about this Fields guy? He's a keeper.

Yep. My ideal situation next year is Crede at 3B and Fields in left.

JB98

A healthy, effective Mike MacDougal.

oeo

Bullpen = crapshoot.

thomas35forever
I think you speak for a lot of fans when you say that.

thedudeabides
Jenks just needs 1 more 1-2-3 inning to tie the record, easier said then done. Congrtats to Bobby.

Hopefully he'll do it tomorrow so I can be there for it. :bandance:

Marqhead
08-10-2007, 10:55 PM
A healthy, effective Mike MacDougal.

I love Macdougal when he's on.

Noneck
08-10-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks, So 1 more inning to tie. This will be fun this weekend.

Tragg
08-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Richar and Fields played. Owens got the night off against a lefty. Jerry has been struggling on the homestand.

Who is not in there that you want in there?
Terrero? Gonzalez? WE have no choice with Richar and Fields (and isn't he improving with the bat, Ozzie?).

Podsednik plays every game; Erstad has played 3 games in a row, including at a power position (he has no power) and tonight at leadoff (low OBP).
Why?

cheezheadsoxfan
08-10-2007, 11:02 PM

That would be sweet.:yup:
I'm impressed by Fields but I still want Joe's glove back.

oeo
Terrero? Gonzalez? WE have no choice with Richar and Fields (and isn't he improving with the bat, Ozzie?).

Podsednik plays every game; Erstad has played 3 games in a row, including at a power position (he has no power) and tonight at leadoff (low OBP).
Why?

Terrero is on the DL...and he isn't young. He's a journeyman.

Gonzalez is a career utility player. As long as Uribe is here, he can play. Just as long as he's not here next year.

And yes, Ozzie does have a choice with Richar and Fields. Cintron can play both positions.

Brian26
Richar and Fields played.

I absolutely love the way Richar hangs in there when turning the doubleplay.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
That game was a lot of fun to watch!

Fields is a stud - he might end up with 20+ HRs. He has to have a place in the everyday lineup next year.

Dye is certainly back (healthy) and stayed hot.

How long will the current Uribe hot streak last? Great game tonight for him.

Good effort for Javy - well done.

Congrats to Jenks!

JB98
08-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Why?

Terrero is on the DL, and Gonzalez has done little since that series in Tampa Bay. I don't think Gonzalez projects as anything more than a utility man.

Podsednik doesn't play every game. He sat yesterday.

I didn't like it when Ozzie had Erstad hitting fifth, but I don't have a problem with Darin being in the lineup. He contributes regularly.

Tragg
08-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Bullpen = crapshoot.
3 weeks ago I was shocked that Bukvich had an ERA below 4.
Now he has an ERA near 3.
Any chance we can pawn him off for someone? Teams get desparate for middle relievers this time of year.

JB98
08-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I absolutely love the way Richar hangs in there when turning the doubleplay.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Richar's defense. I was told he was adequate. So far, I would rate his defense as being above average. Of course, we need a longer look to make a full evaluation, but I'm encouraged so far.

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised by Richar's defense. I was told he was adequate. So far, I would rate his defense as being above average. Of course, we need a longer look to make a full evaluation, but I'm encouraged so far.

This is because the only reports we had on him were from when he played SS. And apparently his big problem at short was footwork...I wonder if he could fix that and move over.

Not something I want to experiment with next year, though...so he'd have to start playing there now. Same with Fields in left.

Tragg
08-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Terrero is on the DL...and he isn't young. He's a journeyman.

Gonzalez is a career utility player. As long as Uribe is here, he can play. Just as long as he's not here next year.

And yes, Ozzie does have a choice with Richar and Fields. Cintron can play both positions.
I guess I was sleeping re Terrero.
Gonzalez needs work because he's going to be our cintron/ mack next year. Gonzalez hasn't played infield all year for the Sox...Ozzie used him almost exclusively in the OF. I'd take Uribe back in a heartbeat before Erstad....we aren't going to find a SS much better than Uribe. There are tens of CF out there better than Erstad.

Even Ozzie couldn't play Cintron over Richar or Fields with a straight face. It would be nice, perhaps, to let Richar lead off or get a favorable batting position, if only for 1 night...but not with Erstad available.

The second Sweeney's off the DL he should be up here. Same with Anderson.

SluggersAway
08-10-2007, 11:11 PM
3 weeks ago I was shocked that Bukvich had an ERA below 4.
Now he has an ERA near 3.
Any chance we can pawn him off for someone? Teams get desperate for middle relievers this time of year.

Why send Bukvich off when he is pitching well? Who is going to step up in his place? You are not going to get much for him in return.

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:12 PM

Anderson is out for the season, which is not good for his career at all. He would likely get the low pressure playing time that Owens, Fields, and Richar are getting right now.

As for Sweeney, he has been up and down all year. Maybe he still needs some more time...

JB98
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Anderson is out for the season. As for Sweeney, he has been up and down all year. Maybe he still needs some more time...

Sweeney is also on the DL, but I think he'll be back in time for a September callup. If Erstad were playing while Sweeney was sitting on the Sox bench, I think Tragg might have a point.

But I can't get my panties in a bunch over Gonzalez not getting PT. Hell, there are some people on this board who think Gonzalez is one of Ozzie's pets.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Sox are 9.5 games out. Just saying.

thedudeabides
08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I guess I was sleeping re Terrero.
Gonzalez needs work because he's going to be our cintron/ mack next year.
Even Ozzie couldn't play Cintron over Richar or Fields with a straight face.

Sweeney's had a wrist injury, the worst injury for a hitter. He's going to struggle until it's completely healthy. No need to rush him and hurt his confidence.

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Should be at least 8.5. They should have taken that last series.

JB98
08-10-2007, 11:20 PM

No, it's 10.5.

Cleveland is 65-51 with the loss tonight. We're 54-61 with the win.

RowanDye
08-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Unfortunately it's still 10 1/2 games out.

Fields is getting better and better. We don't win the game tonight without his bat AND glove. For what it's worth, and it's not much, that diving grab was the #1 web gem on ESPN.

The rest of the season is suddenly getting a lot more interesting, regardless of whether or not we can get back into the race.

Tragg
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
As for Sweeney, he has been up and down all year. Maybe he still needs some more time...
I recall him being up once, and not in the last 2 months. He'll be off the DL soon.
Of course he needs more time...time against ML pitching. Owens needs more time (a lot more time). That's the point...we're out of it and mediocre veterans play in their stead: this is the ideal time to give them their time. It's a shame our 2 top outfield prospects are hurt.

Can Fields be a ML 3rd baseman defensively?

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I recall him being up once, and not in the last 2 months. He'll be off the DL soon.
Of course he needs more time...time against ML pitching. Owens needs more time (a lot more time). That's the point...we're out of it and mediocre veterans play in their stead: this is the ideal time to give them their time. It's a shame our 2 top outfield prospects are hurt.

I was referring to his season, it's been inconsistent. He's been very streaky.

Can Fields be a ML 3rd baseman defensively?I think he can. He's already made great strides since being called up (2 months). And he's got an absolute cannon for an arm...looks much more accurate than Crede's has ever been too.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Can Fields be a ML 3rd baseman defensively?

No question that he is right now - just depends upon how you define "ML third baseman".

If Crede and Ventura are your benchmarks for defining an ML third baseman, then Fields might not ever get there.

Fields, though, can be an average to above average third baseman. His arm is strong, he just looks like he needs some more reps down there so that he is a little more impulsive. I don't think he is a natural down there like some other guys - he is clearly a rookie adjusting to the game at the speed it is played at the major league level.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Fields, with the 2 HRs tonight, continues to demonstrate he has a place on this team in the future. He also compares favorably to Crede at this point in his career.

In his third call-up to the Sox in 2002, Crede played in 53 games, batted 200 times, hit 12 HRs, had 35 RBIs, and hit .285.

In 58 games so far this year, Fields has 210 ABs, 11 HRs, 34 RBIs, and is batting .248.

Crede's average dropped to .261 in 2003 when he played in 151 games, with 536 ABs, 19 HRs, 75 RBIs.

Crede generally underperformed the great expectations everyone had for him until 2006 when he had a great year and a lot of clutch hits and was one of the many co-MVPs of that team as far as I'm concerned.

Fields does not compare favorably to Crede in the field yet, but Fields has a chance to be a pretty good hitter if he can show a progression and consistency that Crede never attained but in that championship year.

Hendu
08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Man, if not for that craptacular June, we'd be in the midst of a pennant chase. Time to get back to .500.

Congrats, Bobby :bandance:

RadioheadRocks
08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Man, if not for that craptacular June, we'd be in the midst of a pennant chase. Time to get back to .500.

Exactly, take our craptacular interleague play (which we usually dominate) out of the equation and we'd be right there.

jabrch
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM

That's what kills me. This is not a bad baseball team. It is a baseball team that played very bad for about 6 weeks. There's a big difference.

Javy really has solidified himself as a legit #2 type guy. That's nice to have along with MB as a #1 and Gar as a #2. That's 3 guys in the front of the rotation.

cbotnyse
08-11-2007, 12:18 AM
just got back from the game...its finally starting to be fun again watching this team....

Chicago
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Great Night... but no Suspicious Minds

Viva Sox Vegas

whitesoxwilkes
08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
just got back from the game...its finally starting to be fun again watching this team....

I want to believe. Do I believe? No. But I want to.

VenturaFan23
08-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Just got back from the game. Awesome night....finally a fun game to watch, great fireworks, oh and morons fighting each other in the seats right next to us in the 9th inning! I forgot what it was like to put a number in the win column for the attendance record :cool:

soxfanreggie
08-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Bobby! :gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Jim Barr of the Giants holds the MLB record with 41 in a row set in 1971.

Marq:

Regarding the bullpen...my guess is the pressure is off. The club won't make the post season so guys are breathing easier and just pitching.

Lip

soltrain21
08-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Great game. Little obnoxious to see the wave in the 9th...but fun none the less.

I dragged my best friend/Cub fan to the game. He hadn't been to Comiskey since 1994. He was super impressed. My favorite line he said was...

"**** this man, I like my beer to be awful and my food to be ****ty and my bathroom lines to be long. I also like going home from a baseball game and smelling like urine for a week. I don't like this "nice" stuff."

Yes, he was being sarcastic. He isn't a "fan," yet...but he got pretty damn excited for Fields' second home run.

esbrechtel
08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Great game. Little obnoxious to see the wave in the 9th...but fun none the less.

I dragged my best friend/Cub fan to the game. He hadn't been to Comiskey since 1994. He was super impressed. My favorite line he said was...

"**** this man, I like my beer to be awful and my food to be ****ty and my bathroom lines to be long. I also like going home from a baseball game and smelling like urine for a week. I don't like this "nice" stuff."

Yes, he was being sarcastic. He isn't a "fan," yet...but he got pretty damn excited for Fields' second home run.

Bourdage?

Viva Medias B's
08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Wish I was there, but had work tonight. :angry:

Noneck
08-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Jim Barr of the Giants holds the MLB record with 41 in a row set in 1971.

Lip

Jenks is 4th, do you know who else is above him except Barr?

DeadMoney
08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Jenks is 4th, do you know who else is above him except Barr?

Randy Johnson had 39 (http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/mlb_arizona_4_florida_3/20040523-063441-9988r/) and David Wells had 38 (http://griddle.baseballtoaster.com/archives/758963.html) and if there is another between them and Barr, I am not aware. So the list is now:
Barr, 41
Johnson, 39
Jenks, 38
Wells, 38

Impressive, and a big congrats to Jenks. Nice win tonight. Let's take the series tomorrow!

oeo
08-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Where did you get those names from? I'd like to see what the record was for relief pitchers, which IMO, is the more impressive feat.

soltrain21
08-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Bourdage?

Ha, no. I wouldn't even try to turn him into a Sox fan. It was Greg.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2007, 02:18 AM
That was a great game to be at. The crowd was amazing! It was nice to see some non-home run ball win it for us in the seventh.

Congrats to Bobby. Let's hope he can break the ML record in the near future for consecutive retired batters.

FireMariotti
08-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Excellent game tonight! Josh Fields is a stud. It was interesting to see the stat on the scoreboard that he leads all AL rookies with 11 HR's. That's impressive considering he has played an abbreviated season.

I luvvvvvvvvvvvv Elvis night. There is always something interesting going on in the crowd in between at bats and innings. The little concert at the end was once again spot on, and the fireworks were great as usual.

As for the wave, :angry:. I don't mind it so much if there is a blowout game going on, but people were trying to get it going when we were down a run and up to bat. It's annoying when I am trying to focus on the game in a critical situation and some douchebag in front of me is only worried about throwing his hands in the air at the right time.

Grzegorz
08-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Regarding the bullpen...my guess is the pressure is off. The club won't make the post season so guys are breathing easier and just pitching.

Lip

I'd hope the opposite is true. I hope the pressure is on the 'pen to prove that it deserves a spot on the MLB roster.

Great game; fun to watch these guys... Did I mention I love the Stone addition albeit temporary???

I'd take Uribe back in a heartbeat before Erstad....we aren't going to find a SS much better than Uribe. There are tens of CF out there better than Erstad.

As long as Erstad can run, and will accept his role, it looks as if he can he is a great hedge against an outfielder going down and in resting PK. One player; two positions that he can play skillfully.

I agree about Anderson and Sweeney; Sweeney this year, Anderson next year (based on his performance in winter ball).

No way I keep Uribe into 2008; he's a liability offensively and inconsistent defensively.

I'd take Jack Wilson over Uribe in a heartbeat.

southside rocks
08-11-2007, 09:02 AM
What a fun game that was, lots to cheer about. I absolutely loved Uribe's fake of Ichiro, that was such good baseball. I wish Juan had that level of play every day, he's so good when he's 'on.'

This team has become a team and is playing like one. Really good to see, and signs of hope for 2008. (Let me never again see David Aardsma in a Sox uniform, please.)

I too would love to see a healthy Joe Crede and Josh Fields both on the Sox, and if that can be managed in any way, I'm for it.

southside rocks
08-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Anderson next year (based on his performance in winter ball).

I thought Anderson said he wasn't going to play winter ball? Did I miss something and he changed that?

FarWestChicago
08-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Marq:

LipOr maybe they are just pitching better. Not everything has to have a negative aspect, Lip. I know that would be a complete shock to you. :redneck

jabrch
08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Or maybe they are just pitching better. Not everything has to have a negative aspect, Lip. I know that would be a complete shock to you. :redneck

They pitched well the first month of the season IIRC. There are a lot of very talented arms in this bullpen. They pitched about 6 bad weeks. That's unfortunate - and it cost us a shot at it this year, but this is a talented team with talented players. 6 bad weeks doesn't change that.

For all the calls to scrap this, and redo it totally differently, I don't think that's needed. As the past few weeks of baseball have shown, a few minor tweaks and this team could be a contender next season.

upperdeckusc
08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Fields, with the 2 HRs tonight, continues to demonstrate he has a place on this team in the future. He also compares favorably to Crede at this point in his career.

In his third call-up to the Sox in 2002, Crede played in 53 games, batted 200 times, hit 12 HRs, had 35 RBIs, and hit .285.

In 58 games so far this year, Fields has 210 ABs, 11 HRs, 34 RBIs, and is batting .248.

Crede's average dropped to .261 in 2003 when he played in 151 games, with 536 ABs, 19 HRs, 75 RBIs.

Crede generally underperformed the great expectations everyone had for him until 2006 when he had a great year and a lot of clutch hits and was one of the many co-MVPs of that team as far as I'm concerned.

Fields does not compare favorably to Crede in the field yet, but Fields has a chance to be a pretty good hitter if he can show a progression and consistency that Crede never attained but in that championship year.

i think, overall, fields will be a better player than crede. i think the difference between the defense of the 2 will not be as large as the difference between the 2 on offense. crede is an amazing fielder, and i think fields will be avg at first, and end up being above avg. offensively, i personally think crede had a career yr in '06 and will only put up the .265 20-25 75 line the rest of his career, which isn't TOO exciting. fields, on the other hand, can definitely develop into a .275-.290 30-35 90-110 player. of the two, considering everything (age, contract, AGENT, and raw talent), i'll take the latter.

palehozenychicty
08-11-2007, 11:31 AM
i think, overall, fields will be a better player than crede. i think the difference between the defense of the 2 will not be as large as the difference between the 2 on offense. crede is an amazing fielder, and i think fields will be avg at first, and end up being above avg. offensively, i personally think crede had a career yr in '06 and will only put up the .265 20-25 75 line the rest of his career, which isn't TOO exciting. fields, on the other hand, can definitely develop into a .275-.290 30-35 90-110 player. of the two, considering everything (age, contract, AGENT, and raw talent), i'll take the latter.

This observation is dead on about Crede, as he is has been too streaky in his career offensively to be a major cog. I love him, but that line is more representative of his production. Fields will improve on defense enough to be a great third baseman in the league for a while, barring injury. Book it.

TheVulture
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Congrats Bobby on tying a pretty cool record!!!

It's more than a pretty cool record. It's an incredibly amazing, while at the same time amazingly incredible, record. Who would have thought?

TheVulture
08-11-2007, 12:12 PM
i think the difference between the defense of the 2 will not be as large as the difference between the 2 on offense.

I hope you're right. As it stands now, Fields will be hitting like Vladimir Guerrero if you are.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Josh Fields is a stud.
Offensively, we have no problems with him; however, I hope he's able to work out the kinks in his fielding. It seems as if every ball hit down or near the line is bound to get past him. He needs infield practice more than anything right now.

Corlose 15
08-11-2007, 01:02 PM
This observation is dead on about Crede, as he is has been too streaky in his career offensively to be a major cog. I love him, but that line is more representative of his production. Fields will improve on defense enough to be a great third baseman in the league for a while, barring injury. I am using the tired, overused phrase "book it" because I actually have nothing interesting to say.

You could read last year's numbers for Crede in two ways, either it was a career year that he'll never repeat or he finally broke out and showed the potential that he did in the minors when he was an IL MVP or batting champ or whatever. I don't think its fair to include his numbers this year in the equation because he was dealing with back issues and was never really healthy.

I think if Fields can handle the move to LF then thats what you do because you have a very good fielder at 3B with a good bat and a very good athlete in LF with a very nicely developing bat. Plus it solves one of the outfield holes internally going into next year.

oeo
08-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Offensively, we have no problems with him; however, I hope he's able to work out the kinks in his fielding. It seems as if every ball hit down or near the line is bound to get past him. He needs infield practice more than anything right now.

He is taking infield practice everyday. The man has gotten much better in his time in the majors, you have to give it some time. It's not like Crede was playing Gold Glove defense when he was called up.

Grzegorz
08-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I thought Anderson said he wasn't going to play winter ball? Did I miss something and he changed that?

It may have been in the Tribune the other day. Both Sweeney & Anderson are to play winter ball in Mexico.

As to Anderson's motivation I'd think his paycheck would be motivation enough.

ArkanSox
08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
This was probably the most enjoyable game I've watched all year. The announcing is more informative and more interesting with Steve Stone in the booth. Duh. The often undisciplined Uribe showed what a valuable asset he is when he's being selective at the plate and heads-up in the field. Javy and JD (who's resigning cost continues to escalate daily; git-r-dun, KW) continue to demonstrate their savvy professionalism. Josh Fields proved he's not an oxymoron on defense and knocked the cover off the ball; quite a turn around from the previous game. The added drama of Bobby Jenks not only preserving the win, but also keeping his personal streak alive, climaxed all of the excitement. Elvis Night was very entertaining. Great game, great win.

ArkanSox

SoxandtheCityTee
08-11-2007, 02:08 PM
The often undisciplined Uribe showed what a valuable asset he is when he's being selective at the plate and heads-up in the field. . . . The added drama of Bobby Jenks not only preserving the win, but also keeping his personal streak alive, climaxed all of the excitement. Elvis Night was very entertaining. Great game, great win.

We were at the game and numerous people in our section commented on the difference when Juan appears to have his head in the game.

A professionally played game in front of a sell-out crowd -- can't beat fun at the old ballpark.

Bruizer
08-11-2007, 03:03 PM
That was a lot of fun! Got my first foul ball from Fields in the 7th! And what about Ichiro climbing that wall trying to get to Field's home run! It was a great night!

Bru :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
That was a lot of fun! Got my first foul ball from Fields in the 7th! And what about Ichiro climbing that wall trying to get to Field's home run! It was a great night!

He seriously did the best impression of Spiderman that I've ever seen at the ballpark! :o:

This was an awesome game all-around! Great starting pitching, solid bullpen relief, and timely hitting. Bobby was lights-out again, though I do have to admit to being a little worried when he went 3-0 on his first batter. This was not only a great game to watch, but also a great (and pretty easy) one to score. I love that this team is finally playing some good baseball- it's going to make the last seven weeks of the season much more enjoyable. :smile:

EMel9281
08-11-2007, 03:50 PM

I thought he was going to pull the move from Major League 2 where he stands on the wall and catches the home run. What an excellent game! I hope Fields is the real deal because he is one helluva ball player.