PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Well, that sucked Indians scalp Sox 8-9-07

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh well. At least Uribe made it interesting.

DrewSox56
08-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Cylinders not firing in time - again.

No hitting when it's needed; no pitching when it's needed.

Awful night tonight for Mark - 5 runs in an inning. Only 6 given up in the last 22 across 2 games, and he implodes in the 4th like that all at once. Special nod to Fields for the assist in that effort.

BP rocked, though. Kudos to Bukvich and Wasserman in particular.

JB98
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm disappointed in Buehrle. Not only did he blow a three-run lead and give up a big inning, he got knocked out in the fifth. We really needed some innings from him after the 13-inning affair last night. Our relievers stepped up and kept us in it, but we'll probably be a couple arms short in the 'pen for tomorrow's game. Bukvich and Logan will certainly be unavailable for the opener against Seattle.

Offensively, we just couldn't mount much of a threat against the Cleveland bullpen. Other than Uribe's solo shot at the end, we did nothing the last three innings.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm disappointed in Buehrle. Not only did he blow a three-run lead and give up a big inning, he got knocked out in the fifth. We really needed some innings from him after the 13-inning affair last night. Our relievers stepped up and kept us in it, but we'll probably be a couple arms short in the 'pen for tomorrow's game. Bukvich and Logan will certainly be unavailable for the opener against Seattle.

Offensively, we just couldn't mount much of a threat against the Cleveland bullpen. Other than Uribe's solo shot at the end, we did nothing the last three innings.

Give big assists to Uribe and Fields in that 4th. Physical errors like Josh's are a lot easier to stomach, but the Uribe mental breakdowns have gotten old.

Tragg
08-09-2007, 10:24 PM
You need to hammer a pitcher like the Indians threw. This lineup managed 4 hits.
Bullpen pitched decently again.

The Sox did face a good team; and this bunch, after all, is, now, 8 below .500.

RowanDye
08-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Meh...I'm more disappointed in myself for getting my hopes up. This is a .500 team at the very best. We're way too inconsistent to make a run. It's time to go back to the prospect/waiver wire watch.

chisoxfanatic
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Give big assists to Uribe and Fields in that 4th. Physical errors like Josh's are a lot easier to stomach, but the Uribe mental breakdowns have gotten old.
Yep. Uribe should've thrown home on Erstad's wonderful relay throw to him. He'd have had Michaels out by plenty. And then, the entire picture for that inning changes. Unacceptable!

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Yep. Uribe should've thrown home on Erstad's wonderful relay throw to him. He'd have had Michaels out by plenty. And then, the entire picture for that inning changes. Unacceptable!

Uribe just doesn't keep his head in the game. It has become blatantly obvious. It' sad b/c if he could just focus on the baseball game, he'd be a solid player.

Frater Perdurabo
08-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Idiot caller on Rogney suggesting that Buehrle is overrated and isn't worth the money he's being paid.
:kukoo:

DrewSox56
08-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Uribe just doesn't keep his head in the game. It has become blatantly obvious. It' sad b/c if he could just focus on the baseball game, he'd be a solid player.

If Uribe was Michael Young, he'd be a better SS - that's blatantly obvious too.

Seriously - That's not the issue. He at least got a few hits tonight and kept this from a sweep.

It's our "scary" middle part that can't hit a curve from a leftie that's an issue. It's been a year and half of this now?!?!

Tragg
08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Every night it's Uribe this and Uribe that in the field. Yes, SS defense matters. And it's sad because he can do it.

We can cover SS defense cheap (if that's all we want). Uribe's $5 mill option is looking more and more tenuous.

Meanwhile, this team also needs some hitters - badly.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Idiot caller on Rogney suggesting that Buehrle is overrated and isn't worth the money he's being paid.

I'm sure he'll be saying that next time Buehrle pitches well :angry:

DickAllen72
08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Fields should have told him to throw home while Uribe had his back to the infield instead of just standing there like a spectator.

Fields may have potential, but at this point in his career he's a pretty bad third baseman and not a very smart baseball player. He was a football player in college and hasn't been a full-time baseball player until recent years--and it shows.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Fields should have told him to throw home while Uribe had his back to the infield instead of just standing there like a spectator.

Fields may have potential, but at this point in his career he's a pretty bad third baseman and not a very smart baseball player. He was a football player in college and hasn't been a full-time baseball player until recent years--and it shows.

While I agree Fields has a long way to go, I am not sure that we know he didn't tell Uribe to throw home. Even if he didn't, Juan has to know the game situation. A slow runner on second. A rocket to left that is fielded to perfection. As he is going out to take the throw, a quick glance at the runner as Erstad picked up the ball wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I just do not think Uribe is mentally into the game.

JB98
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
While I agree Fields has a long way to go, I am not sure that we know he didn't tell Uribe to throw home. Even if he didn't, Juan has to know the game situation. A slow runner on second. A rocket to left that is fielded to perfection. As he is going out to take the throw, a quick glance at the runner as Erstad picked up the ball wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I just do not think Uribe is mentally into the game.

Judging by AJ's reaction after the play, I'm pretty certain he was calling for a throw to be made. If so, Juan would have been able to hear him, regardless of what Fields was doing.

Still, Buehrle had a bad outing. He didn't get much help, but he made bad pitches and allowed things to get away from him.

PorkChopExpress
08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Why does it seem like the entire Cleveland offense bats about .350 against Beuhrle? Most games I have confidence in him, but against these indians, I'm skeptical everytime. Oh well. I guess winning the division just got a little more improbable, but not impossible.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Judging by AJ's reaction after the play, I'm pretty certain he was calling for a throw to be made. If so, Juan would have been able to hear him, regardless of what Fields was doing.

Still, Buehrle had a bad outing. He didn't get much help, but he made bad pitches and allowed things to get away from him.

AJ was definitely calling for a throw. I would think Uribe could have heard him, but who knows. Mark certainly was not very good, but that happens. Mental mistakes should not happen much, let alone every night. Yet our SS seems to have cornered the market on being incapable of keeping his head in the game.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Uribe has just so much un-used talent, it's amazing. He COULD be one of the best shortstops in the game...as for Fields, the kid's a rookie, Juan is the vet. I would almost expect mental errors out of Fields but not out of a guy who has been up as long as Juan.

Patrick134
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM

I like MB and I'm glad we signed him, but he's far from a rock solid, Clemens in his prime , type of ace. Last years 2nd half showed that.

JB98
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
AJ was definitely calling for a throw. I would think Uribe could have heard him, but who knows. Mark certainly was not very good, but that happens. Mental mistakes should not happen much, let alone every night. Yet our SS seems to have cornered the market on being incapable of keeping his head in the game.

I hope Uribe doesn't get too hot with the bat down the stretch. I don't want the Sox to be tempted to pick up that option. I think it's time for Juan to move on, and the club to go in a different direction at SS.

hi im skot
08-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I like MB and I'm glad we signed him, but he's far from a rock solid, Clemens in his prime , type of ace. Last years 2nd half showed that.

Wait. Is that a somewhat negative comment coming from you, Patrick?

Gasp.

Nice job tonight, bullpen.

Patrick134
08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Wait. Is that a somewhat negative comment coming from you, Patrick?

Gasp.

Nice job tonight, bullpen.

No, MB is great. But he's also had multiple horrible stretches in his career too.

Noneck
08-09-2007, 11:51 PM
All pitchers have bad games. It's just a shame Burls had to pick this one. This was a big game for all the Sox dreamers out there, to get within single digits and gain ground on everyone ahead of us.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh well. At least Uribe made it interesting.

:hawk
"Fiesty, you know as well as I do that Juan Uribe can carry this team on his back for a week when he gets hot."

Brian26
08-10-2007, 12:02 AM
No, MB is great. But he's also had multiple horrible stretches in his career too.

Yep. The entire first half of '03, most of the second half of '06, ...
I'm still glad he's on our team. The poor defense early in the game didn't help his cause either.

hi im skot
08-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Fair enough, and totally correct.

Hopefully he'll be back to the Buehrle we know and love next week.

Grzegorz
08-10-2007, 04:47 AM
All pitchers have bad games. It's just a shame Burls had to pick this one. This was a big game for all the Sox dreamers out there, to get within single digits and gain ground on everyone ahead of us.

With the 3-0 lead I thought that getting into the single digits in terms of games back would be a pick me up for the team.

Uribe has just so much un-used talent, it's amazing. He COULD be one of the best shortstops in the game...as for Fields, the kid's a rookie, Juan is the vet. I would almost expect mental errors out of Fields but not out of a guy who has been up as long as Juan.

That's why it is so important to upgrade at the SS position in 2008. Mental lapses and long stretches of not being able to execute cannot be tolerated in the future.

I am none too comfortable with an extremely slow middle of the order that is purely one dimensional. This area of the lineup needs to be addressed.

wassagstdu
08-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Juan Uribe is a punching bag with some of "us" because his defense is hitting .222.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Not the way I wanted to start my new streak.

Sig update time...

KyWhiSoxFan
08-10-2007, 07:02 AM
It's the what ifs that decided this game.

Had Uribe gone home on the relay throw from Erstad, they would have had Martinez, making it two outs. Had Fields fielded the next hitter's ground ball cleanly, it is three outs and the Sox are out of the inning with a 3-0 lead. Instead the Tribe scores 5.

Good teams play great defense and win a lot of games with defense during the year. This should have been one of those games.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
It's the what ifs that decided this game.

Had Uribe gone home on the relay throw from Erstad, they would have had Martinez, making it two outs. Had Fields fielded the next hitter's ground ball cleanly, it is three outs and the Sox are out of the inning with a 3-0 lead. Instead the Tribe scores 5.

Good teams play great defense and win a lot of games with defense during the year. This should have been one of those games.

Fields bobble came with one out, not two. Still, point taken...

Sad
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Meh...I'm more disappointed in myself for getting my hopes up. This is a .500 team at the very best. We're way too inconsistent to make a run. It's time to go back to the prospect/waiver wire watch.

same here
I should know better... every time we get a sniff of 5-under and hope to make a run they take a crap instead.... :mad:

Law11
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
same here
I should know better... every time we get a sniff of 5-under and hope to make a run they take a crap instead.... :mad:

Its easy to get that glimmer of hope.
We just buried ourselved in May and June and will play spoiler the rest of the way. They have played much better and look much more competitive which at the very least is what you want to see.

PatK
08-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Why does it seem like the entire Cleveland offense bats about .350 against Beuhrle? Most games I have confidence in him, but against these indians, I'm skeptical everytime. Oh well. I guess winning the division just got a little more improbable, but not impossible.

Hawk was talking last night that Mark's career numbers aren't that great against them.

I want to say he's 9-7 with about a .300 AVG against and an ERA around 3 (which isn't too bad).

SBSoxFan
08-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Hawk was talking last night that Mark's career numbers aren't that great against them.

I want to say he's 9-7 with about a .300 AVG against and an ERA around 3 (which isn't too bad).

Buehrle is 8-10 with a 4.48 ERA lifetime against the Indians. That was before last night.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 09:09 AM

Buehrle is 8-10 lifetime against Cleveland with a 4.48 ERA and a .284 BAA. He has also given up 27 HRs to Cleveland, the highest of any team.

Iguana775
08-10-2007, 09:17 AM

I thought it was the catchers job to yell out where to go. that's how it was when I played in high school. maybe we were taught wrong.

MCHSoxFan
08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I am so upset that Mark did not pitch like he ususally does. As for our offense, we could have esily won the game. :angry: :(:\

LET'S WIN TODAY!!!

russ99
08-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Duh! Dead-arm period. This happened the last 2 season with Mark, so why is it a surprise now? I'm just glad we're carrying an extra starter.

balke
08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Duh! Dead-arm period. This happened the last 2 season with Mark, so why is it a surprise now? I'm just glad we're carrying an extra starter.

Abandon ship everyone, Mark's done!!! RELEASE HIM!!!

ArkanSox
08-10-2007, 11:34 AM
(Deep thoughts)

If Juan Uribe is a moron, is Joshua Fields an oxymoron? :?:

PatK
08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Buehrle is 8-10 lifetime against Cleveland with a 4.48 ERA and a .284 BAA. He has also given up 27 HRs to Cleveland, the highest of any team.

You're right- I think I looked up his season stats

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I thought it was the catchers job to yell out where to go. that's how it was when I played in high school. maybe we were taught wrong.In high school you weren't playing in front of 30,000 screaming fans. I only heard the play on radio, but when the shortstop is the cutoff, he's usually on the outfield grass. You can't count on him being able to hear the catcher out there. The radio guys said Fields was a spectator on the play, and it was his responsibility to tell Uribe to throw home. You guys should really decide how a play should have gone based on the facts, not which player you hate more.

DickAllen72
08-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought it was the catchers job to yell out where to go. that's how it was when I played in high school. maybe we were taught wrong.
Uribe was on the outfield grass with his back to the play. Pierzynski looked like he was calling for the ball but I doubt he could be heard by Uribe. Fields was standing next to Uribe watching the whole play develop and didn't seem to say a word.

I can't really blame Uribe under the circumstances.

misty60481
08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I dont think Uribe can understand English, hes not from here.

mccoydp
08-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I dont think Uribe can understand English, hes not from here.

He spoke pretty well in the postgame interview the night before, when he cracked that walk-off homerun.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I dont think Uribe can understand English, hes not from here.I'm sure he could have understood Fields yelling "HOME!"