PDA

View Full Version : Bad outing by Former Sox....

Mathew
04-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Finally...

Scot Eyre 6ip 6r loss to twinks

Of course we can always bring up Singleton's .100avg to CLR too :whiner:

RichH55
04-06-2002, 08:19 PM
But I was told that Eyre had a solid spring?!?!? And that KW had given up a potential Cy Young Ace? Utterly shocked over here......Herbert Perry is still on pace for an MVP right? Please let there be some sanity out there

*please note sarcasm

Tragg
04-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Yea but 2 of the guys we traded to the pirates each had solid outings.

doublem23
04-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
*please note sarcasm

Good use of the sarcasm color! :smile:

baggio202
04-06-2002, 09:50 PM
eyre gave up 5 eraned runs....he gave them up in the first two innings..then settled down and threw 4 innings of shut out ball....striking out 5...giving up only 5 hits and 2 walks...

not saying eyre will ever be anything great...but right now he is in the toronto starting rotation..and since he threw 4 shut out innings before being pulled..he will probably get another start...

as for glover...he went from 5th starter to set up man to mop man in the past two weeks...cant really say that trade was a slam dunk for the white sox just yet...

Daver
04-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
eyre gave up 5 eraned runs....he gave them up in the first two innings..then settled down and threw 4 innings of shut out ball....striking out 5...giving up only 5 hits and 2 walks...

not saying eyre will ever be anything great...but right now he is in the toronto starting rotation..and since he threw 4 shut out innings before being pulled..he will probably get another start...

as for glover...he went from 5th starter to set up man to mop man in the past two weeks...cant really say that trade was a slam dunk for the white sox just yet...

Take the Nardi factor into account on that..................

baggio202
04-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by daver

Take the Nardi factor into account on that..................

agreed...the grim reaper of pitching coaches could kill any prospect....ya think maybe the sox should have taken the hint lou piniella put out when he said the day nardi was fired..."nardi contrares is the worst pitching coach i have ever seen"...

i know it was real subtle there but ya think we could have picked up on that

duke of dorwood
04-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Even big mouth Lou Piniella can be right once.

FoulkeTheIndians
04-06-2002, 10:27 PM
How about Josh Fogg today? Seven shutout innings and 5 K's today in a win over the Flubs. It was nice seeing him embarrass the North Side Tourist Attraction, even if it was in a different uniform.

Paulwny
04-07-2002, 10:16 AM
I saw Buck Martinez's post game interview on canadian tv. He said he was impressed with Eyre after they convinced him to stop
trying to nibble the plate and just throw strikes.
Time will tell.

RichieRichAllen
04-07-2002, 10:18 AM
Is it true that Piniella actually said that...or are we talking urban legend here? Geez...I can't imagine firing a guy and then kicking the bejesus out of him like that. Anybody got any archived info on that? If so, I'd like to use it as my banner.

Originally posted by baggio202

agreed...the grim reaper of pitching coaches could kill any prospect....ya think maybe the sox should have taken the hint lou piniella put out when he said the day nardi was fired..."nardi contrares is the worst pitching coach i have ever seen"...

i know it was real subtle there but ya think we could have picked up on that

Paulwny
04-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
Is it true that Piniella actually said that...or are we talking urban legend here? Geez...I can't imagine firing a guy and then kicking the bejesus out of him like that. Anybody got any archived info on that? If so, I'd like to use it as my banner.

This is the only thing I've seen--post 12

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9064

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Once again, we miss the point...

It isn't how well the players we traded are doing, it is how well the players we acquired are doing for us. Glover has been a solid pitcher and probably will continue to be so. Ritchie looked great his first outing - we will see more today.

The rest is crying over spilt milk. Nothing can be done to change those trades, but if it works for the Sox then who cares how it works for the other team. I for one hope it works out well so more teams will be willing to trade with us. The best trades are the win/win kind. That is exactly what the Ritchie trade (for example) is shaping up to be. Sox got a top of the line veteran starter. Pirates got some youth and pitching depth.

More trades like that one and other teams may forget about the Sirotka shoulder situation and give us a chance to improve our team...

I know many of us hate Nardi - something I have been steadfastly remaining neutral on. I for one want to wait for a while before making a call. If Garland, Wright and Rauch all have solid years, and the number of injuries stays within normal bounds, then we have to give Nardi credit for the success of the pitching staff just as many of us have given him tons of grief for the injuries. Time will tell...

baggio202
04-07-2002, 10:45 PM
glover solid???..cmon..he is about as inconsistent as can be...

and you track players traed vrs players recieved becasue trades and free agents are the most important job a GM does...if he fails in these two responsibilities..he can not be successful...if we didnt track the players traded away....its important because it tells us if our gm is a moron or not..it also could tell us if we are doing something wrong in the system..for example if every pitcher we trade away iproves dramatically from when they were with us...then id say we need to look at how pitchers are developed in the system....tracking those trades are very important

Tragg
04-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Once again, we miss the point...

Sox got a top of the line veteran starter. Pirates got some youth and pitching depth.

Ritchie's a long way from proving that he's a "top of the line veteran starter." He never has been. will he be? We'll find out.

Anyway, I don't think it's pointless discussion. We paid a lot for Ritchie - I think it's fair to at least discuss why we had to give away 2 top prospects and a veteran for a guy who has basically been an average pitcher for several years.