PDA

View Full Version : OF Rick Ankiel Gets the Call

JimEdmonds15
08-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Cardinals Call Up Rick Ankiel
Created: 8/9/2007 11:03:51 AM
Last updated: 8/9/2007 11:32:16 AM

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/ankiel22story.jpg

KSDK - Years after bouts of wildness and injuries forced him to leave the mound, Rick Ankiel is coming back to the majors. But this time, he won't be pitching.

Ankiel, among the minor leagues' leaders in home runs, has been called up by the Cardinals, NewsChannel 5's Frank Cusumano reports.

In 102 games at AAA Memphis, Ankiel has 32 home runs and 89 RBI. He leads the Pacific Coast League in home runs, and is second in RBI. He is hitting .267.

The team has repeatedly said the plan was to wait until rosters expanded in September to call up Ankiel. However, his hot hitting shows he may help the major league team now.

"His season has caught everybody's attention," manager Tony La Russa said. "He's been lighting it up from the get-go, so he's building on a good impression."

[Link] (http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=126460)

Dan the Man
08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow, good for him. Most guys would have given up after his terrible showing his rookie year.

DSpivack
08-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Hopefully he does well, I'll be rooting for him.

JimEdmonds15
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Ankiel is definitely on the way up - confirmed ...

We're working it ... Going to be an interesting couple of days ... I'm told La Russa asked for Ankiel to be up here in time to be with the team for the road trip through Milwaukee and Chicago ... But there is another development that expedited the process ....a player has to go ...won't be a trade, so relax on that ...but someone will go to make room for Ankiel ...

Believe it's Spiezio but not confirmed ...there are some issues. .don't want to reveal anything more until we know more on a definitive basis...

Crazy week down there at the old ballpark behind the scenes... Edmonds and La Russa got into it two nights ago - pretty heated I'm told...

-B

[Link] (http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4809240)

Ankiel Video To Watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_7PzR9H_54)

Chez
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Can the return of Steve Blass be far behind? Seriously, I wish Rick the best.

y2j2785
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Good luck Rick, saw ya hit a homer for the Single A Quad City Swing a couple seasons back.

hi im skot
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Good luck Rick, saw ya hit a homer for the Single A Quad City Swing a couple seasons back.

I worked for the Swing back in 2005...saw him play some great games.

Good luck, Rick!

JimEdmonds15
08-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Manager Tony La Russa is putting him right to work. Ankiel will start in right field tonight and bat second against Padres righthander Chris Young.

[Link] (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/A686185DBD8D187286257332005E95CA?OpenDocument)

stl_sox_fan
08-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Good to hear that. Anything is better than Juan in right. Everyone here has been calling for a bunch of the Memphis boys to get callups(even though I still think the Cards have a chance in the NL Central). I will miss seeing his "Rick Vaughn" impersonation on the mound.

Risk
08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
That's great for Ankiel. Shows a lot of character for a guy to fail at one position (by completely losing control--ala Mark Wohlers), but then go through the minors and learn a new position, and then get back to the majors.

I hope he does well.:gulp:

Risk

chaerulez
08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Pretty crazy how one inning can change an entire career like that.

Jurr
08-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Classy, classy guy. He was great as a ballplayer in Memphis, but every time you'd see him out, he'd handle people's "attention" very well, including when he'd be asked about pitching.

He is one hell of an athlete.

South Side Irish
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Man, I can't even say how I excited I am for Rick. Proud, too. Rick and I are the same age, and share some similarities in our "background." He's had it worse, and few people know the personal hell he lived through, then took it national when he collapsed back in 00/01. He's a special athlete, but an even better human after coming out of his horrible experiences in such a positive way.

Good Luck, Rick!

South Side Irish
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Rick not only got a glorious standing ovation from the Busch faithful, but then hit a 3 run jack.

Busch just exploded!!!!

:gulp:

Dan Mega
08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Man, what a story. What an athlete, never give up, just go work at it. I hope he succeeds.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm really pulling for him...I don't think this will happen, but how GREAT would it be if he just goes crazy and some how leads the Cards to the playoffs??

oeo
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm really pulling for him...I don't think this will happen, but how GREAT would it be if he just goes crazy and some how leads the Cards to the playoffs??

They're only 5.5 out of first...they're going to win the division.

South Side Irish
08-10-2007, 12:02 AM
They're only 5.5 out of first...they're going to win the division.

Ehhhh, I don't know. Ankiel is the best starting pitcher on that team right now. And no, I didn't miss the teal! :redneck

QCIASOXFAN
08-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I was at a game where he went yard also. I really didn't think he would ever get to the bigs though. The papers here have been covering his every move for the last 3 years here and I am happy for him. I fully expect a front page story about it here tomorrow.

balke
08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
ST. LOUIS -- The Cardinals announced on Thursday that infielder/outfielder Scott Spiezio has been placed on Major League Baseball's restricted list. Spiezio will seek treatment for what the club called "possible problems related to substances he was taking unbeknown to the team's medical staff."
No specific substance was identified. Privacy restrictions and the guidelines of Major League Baseball's Employee Assistance Program limit what team representatives are allowed to say regarding the problem.

Another Oakland player.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM

It would be great if it came down to the last game of the season, Cards win and they're in the playoffs, lose and they go home. Ankiel represents the winning run and is on 3rd in the 9th inning. The pitch...wild pitch! Ankiel comes home to score and the Cards go to the playoffs! Oh the irony that would be!

rowand33
08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
**** the home run record, Rick Ankiel and Josh Hamilton are my two favorite stories this year in baseball.

South Side Irish
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
**** the home run record, Rick Ankiel and Josh Hamilton are my two favorite stories this year in baseball.

Absolutely. We can all relate to stories of redemption, and these are two very good ones... so far, at least!

rowand33
08-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Absolutely. We can all relate to stories of redemption, and these are two very good ones... so far, at least!

More than redemption, I see Ankiel's as determination. The guy makes it to the bigs as a pitcher, looks like he's gonna be a great for years to come.
Loses it and just can't get it back, goes down to A as an OF and comes back killing that ****.

JimEdmonds15
08-11-2007, 03:20 PM
#2 was just blasted off Derek Lowe

DSpivack
08-11-2007, 04:58 PM
#2 was just blasted off Derek Lowe

#3!!!!

soltrain21
08-11-2007, 05:08 PM
...And now a great catch! If this can't inspire the Cardinals; I don't know what could.

I see them taking this division.

JB98
08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Quite a performance by Ankiel today.

The game humbled him, and he has battled back. Even if the man never gets another hit in the big leagues, you have to give him a ton of credit.

rowand33
08-11-2007, 05:52 PM
He's doing amazing.

And it's not like Lowe and Roberto Hernandez are exactly scrubs either.

I know he won't hit these numbers, but this is his current pace according ot ESPN:

51 games 204 ABs 68 R 85 Hs 51 HR 102 RBI. with a .417 BA and a 1.584 OPS.

soltrain21
08-11-2007, 06:05 PM
So when does Disney make a movie about this?

South Side Irish
08-11-2007, 09:33 PM
...And now a great catch! If this can't inspire the Cardinals; I don't know what could.

I see them taking this division.

Ehhh... I'm as big a Card fan as I am a Sox fan, but I just don't know. Thankfully the Cubs and Brewers have crapped away chance after chance, which leaves open the outside chance, but they still just have absolutely no pitching. I really wish the Cards had spent some money on pitching this past offseason, then this would be a real possibility. :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I knew Rick Ankiel was a former pitcher and had been hampered by injuries throughout much of his career, but I had no idea the lengths he went to in regards to coming back! I'd heard about Ankiel from a friend of mine who works for the Palm Beach Cardinals (STL's high A affiliate) when he rehabbed in Palm Beach a few years ago, but just assumed his career was over. :dunno:

This is an inspiring story and one that I hope surges the Cardinals past a certain team we'd like to see kept out of first place in the N.L. Central. :wink:

thomas35forever
08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Even if the Cardinals don't make the playoffs this season, the Ankiel story is sure one to be proud of. The man has to be the luckiest man in baseball right now.

South Side Irish
08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Even if the Cardinals don't make the playoffs this season, the Ankiel story is sure one to be proud of. The man has to be the luckiest man in baseball right now.

Lucky? How so? I think he's had some pretty rotten luck, and worked his ass off to get back to the bigs.

I don't know, but this Cards team sure is showing signs of life. I have NO CLUE how they're winning games, but in that crap division, anything is possible. I sure do love seeing them charge the Brewers and Cubs. Hopefully I can score some tickets to the games this weekend at Wrigley or even earlier in Milwaukee. Either way... this could be a very fun week/weekend.

1 Week from today, the Cardinals could be in 2nd Place. :o::D::gulp: