PDA

View Full Version : Where will Bonds play NEXT year?

Fenway
08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Barry says he is playing in 2008 as he wants to hit both 800 and also break Sadaharu Oh's record as well.

Assuming he is not in Federal prison by then I suspect he will be a DH in the AL.

But who would take him?

spiffie
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
If you assume as a DH he would be able to play more often, he immediately becomes one of the top DH's, if not the top one, in the AL. Could see the Angels going for him. Maybe Texas if they want to shell out some cash. And no matter what anyone says, you always have to think about the Yankees when it comes to someone like this.

mrfourni
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
If you assume as a DH he would be able to play more often, he immediately becomes one of the top DH's, if not the top one, in the AL. Could see the Angels going for him. Maybe Texas if they want to shell out some cash. And no matter what anyone says, you always have to think about the Yankees when it comes to someone like this.

I think bonds would love to play in New York, with the short porch to right.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I think bonds would love to play in New York, with the short porch to right.

If A-Rod leaves the Yankees proably would sign him.

SOXPHILE
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Federal Prison Baseball Team

Railsplitter
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
If at all

DrewSox56
08-09-2007, 11:49 AM
The Angels would be a good fit as far as need, but I wonder if the "Disney" ownership would want all that negative baggage.

I could see Texas.

And if nobody jumps after him, I could see another Billy Beane incentive type offer a-la Big Frank.

As for NY, what's the story with Giambi and his contract? They wouldn't sign him if they still have another roid-head on their hands.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
The Angels would be a good fit as far as need, but I wonder if the "Disney" ownership would want all that negative baggage.

Disney doesn't own them anymore.

Bonds lives in Beverly Hills FWIW

soxinem1
08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
He could play for the Devil Rays or the Nippon Ham Fighters, for all I care.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Bob Ryan has his thoughts

Suitors for Bonds? (http://www.boston.com/partners/worldnow/nesn.html?catID=80766&clipid=1650177&autoStart=true&mute=false&continuous=true)
He's the new home run king, but where will Barry Bonds play in 2008?

mwc44
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041012/16553__sheen_l.jpg
"California Penal League"

TDog
08-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Certainly if he wants to break a record set in Japan, he would get more attention in Japan.

Any team that signs Bonds would have to rehabilitate his image in the eyes of their fans. Most of the baseball world has been demonizing him for at least a couple of years.

DSpivack
08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Certainly if he wants to break a record set in Japan, he would get more attention in Japan.

Any team that signs Bonds would have to rehabilitate his image in the eyes of their fans. Most of the baseball world has been demonizing him for at least a couple of years.

I don't think Japan would touch him. To break Oh's record, he'll have to hit another 100 HRs. I see him playing next year, but not three more seasons.

TDog
08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think Japan would touch him. To break Oh's record, he'll have to hit another 100 HRs. I see him playing next year, but not three more seasons.

He won't go to South Korea because their season is only about half as long as in the U.S. And I don't think he would put up with Japan.

Frankly, I don't believe any U.S. team would take him on. It sounds like the Giants are done with him.

SBSoxFan
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041012/16553__sheen_l.jpg
"California Penal League"

:roflmao: I was gonna post the same thing!

hose
08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Folsum

WLL1855
08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Barry says he is playing in 2008 as he wants to hit both 800 and also break Sadaharu Oh's record as well.

Assuming he is not in Federal prison by then I suspect he will be a DH in the AL.

But who would take him?

It will be another year of sideshow baseball in San Francisco. Book It.

WLL1855
08-12-2007, 09:46 PM
It will be another year of sideshow baseball in San Francisco. I am using the tired, overused phrase "book it" because I actually have nothing interesting to say.

Touche. Even though it applies in this case.

MDF3530
08-12-2007, 09:48 PM
As long as it ain't here (either side of town) I don't give a rat's ass.

rowand33
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I think any bad AL team would sign him to DH with the hope of bringing in fans. Os, Rays, Rangers, Royals.

I think the pirates or nationals would consider him if they had a place to play him.

As far as teams with a shot, I think that the As would sign him, but I dunno how attached to Piazza they are.

The Angels could actually really use him as a DH.

I think the Twins would be a good fit for him. I really do.

Unlike a lot of you guys, I think that out of 30 teams that at least one of them will be interested in him.

he's on pace for 35 homers and 81 rbi hitting at .288/.497/.588.

somebody will sign him. People will support a winner no matter what d-bag is on the team.

I don't want him, but if he came to the sox in 2008 and helped us win a world series, wouldn't you be happy?

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2007, 01:42 AM
...if he came to the sox in 2008 and helped us win a world series, wouldn't you be happy?Man, that's a tough question. It really is. I'd feel unclean.

mrfourni
08-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Man, that's a tough question. It really is. I'd feel unclean.

I'd consider getting rid of my season tickets.

twentywontowin
08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
He's going to play at Pelican Bay.

Most likely the Angels I would say.

upperdeckusc
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
now that he has the record, i wonder if he wants to play for a winner. ppl saying tampa and KC and washington and texas might be interested, ok great. but i HIGHLY doubt barry would want to play there, he wouldnt get much protection = alotta walks, not HR's. i really do see the yanks getting rid of giambi and getting bonds aboard. amazing protection, a contender, and a team that can take on his payroll. i personally wouldnt mind him on the southside for those same reasons (protection, HOPEFULLY we'll be a contender, etc). depending on how much he wants, i wouldnt mind giving him 15 mil or so, but not 20+. if were gonna pay that, go get Arod instead. i know ozzie said they dont want a "me first" kind of player on their team. but if there are any talks and barry says he's interested, maybe KW has a sitdown with him or his agent and says "we really want him here, but these are things he cant do....". then its just take it or leave it.

bigfoot
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM

But who would take him?

If Barry had been allowed to you the type of composite bat that Oh was able to use during his record run(not legal in Japanese baseball now either), he would have already had surpassed that record.

And you thought that an asterisk was necessary for only Bond's records.

pierzynski07
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
If Barry had been allowed to you the type of composite bat that Oh was able to use during his record run(not legal in Japanese baseball now either), he would have already had surpassed that record.

And you thought that an asterisk was necessary for only Bond's records.
That reminds me of this quote:

"Horrific deplorable violence is okay, as long as nobody says any naughty words. That's what this war is all about." "

Grzegorz
08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't want him, but if he came to the sox in 2008 and helped us win a world series, wouldn't you be happy?

No...

soltrain21
08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I love the White Sox, but I love baseball more. I hope he never plays for another team again

soxfanreggie
08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Kansas City or Tampa Bay would easily take him. Their attendance would shoot up, and they could easily use that. However, I could see staying with the Giants (if he's willing to take a pay cut) or playing for the Angels.

santo=dorf
08-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I'd consider getting rid of my season tickets.
So you are more of a Bonds hater than a White Sox fan? :?:

Trav
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I think it would take large amounts of money to bring him into an even bigger spotlight. Going to New York and Boston would be a circus that I really don't think he wants. I guess he has enough money that he wouldn't do it even for the extra dough.

The A's seem to go for the aging superstars that will sign for a discount to prove they can still play so I don't see him there. The Angels would be a team I would expect him to be interested in.

rowand33
08-15-2007, 12:21 AM

No...

Look at guys like Luis Gonzalez, Brady Anderson, Brett Boone, and Adrian Beltre.

Each of these guys has one year where there's a HUGE spike in numbers.

But Seattle fans aren't gonna be upset if they win a world series this year with Beltre at third; neither are dodgers fans about gonzalez. And do you think DBacks fans want to give back the 01 series because Gonzo was on it and juiced?

See, as much as I dislike Bonds because he's a D-bag, I feel that steroids are more of an institutional problem than a player problem.

We have no idea how deep this thing went.

I've always heard Gonzo is supposed to be a really, really nice guy. One of the good ambassadors of the game. If we have cause to suspect him of steroids, we can suspect every player that's played the game during our era.

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 02:06 AM
Smaller AL markets like Oakland or Minnesota might seem like a logical place for Bonds to end up however, Barroids would have to be willing to take LESS money to play in either Oakland, KC, Minny, or Tampa. I don't believe that man's ego will allow him to take a huge pay cut, especially after "setting the record".

If Bonds wants the $18 million or so he is getting this year (and he probably will) than the playing field is narrowed to the free spending teams like the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, or possibly the Dodgers who are in need of some offensive punch.

bigfoot
08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Smaller AL markets like Oakland or Minnesota might seem like a logical place for Bonds to end up however, Barroids would have to be willing to take LESS money to play in either Oakland, KC, Minny, or Tampa. I don't believe that man's ego will allow him to take a huge pay cut, especially after "setting the record".

If Bonds wants the $18 million or so he is getting this year (and he probably will) than the playing field is narrowed to the free spending teams like the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, or possibly the Dodgers who are in need of some offensive punch.

In the case of the Yankees, Barry might be "required" to agree to "contribute" to a couple of charities$100k?), and make a few appearances at youth &/or rehab organizations and receive Giambi's "get out of Bud's doghouse free" card!

What a small price for a little "Bud Love"!:rolleyes:

Brian26
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM

I'd do it in a heartbeat if it guaranteed a World Series championship.

How could you turn down two titles in four years? It's only one bad guy on the team...there are 24 other guys to love.

itsnotrequired
08-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat if it guaranteed a World Series championship.

How could you turn down two titles in four years? It's only one bad guy on the team...there are 24 other guys to love.

Just write it into his contract. If the Sox don't win it all, he has to return his salary and all his stats are deleted. It would be as if he was never on the team.

The union should have no problem with this approach.:D:

Brian26
08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
The union should have no problem with this approach.:D:

Donald Fehr's head is ready to explode. :D:

Beautox
08-20-2007, 01:37 AM

I could see Texas.

And if nobody jumps after him, I could see another Billy Beane incentive type offer a-la Big Frank.

As for NY, what's the story with Giambi and his contract? They wouldn't sign him if they still have another roid-head on their hands.

Not when Jack Cust is the definition of moneyball.