PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Recap

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 05:30 PM
Did Vic do another minor league recap or something for yesterday's games or would someone like me to do one?

Daver
04-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Go for it Kermit

RichH55
04-06-2002, 06:04 PM
I'm all ears

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 06:23 PM
AAA:
The Charlotte Knights lost for the second night in a row to start the season 3-7. Mitch Wylie was hammered giving up 6 runs in 4.2 innings. Wylie is a C- prospect, he might make the back of a major league pen someday, if he's lucky. Corey Lee, the guy the Sox got from Texas for Herbert Perry, made an appearance and didn't give up any runs in an inning and a third, striking out two. Also for the second day in a row Tim Hummel played short with Willie Harris at second. I like this choice, keeping them both at the tougher position until either one proves they can't do it. On the same note Hummel made an error. Hummel was at least good at the plate, he went 2-4 with a walk, a run and an RBI. Joe Crede was 1-5 with 2 Ks. Josh Paul went 2-4.

AA:
The Barons picked up a win (w00t) against the D-Rays AA affiliate and a decent prospect Nate Frendling, 7-6. Brian West pitched well in 6 innings striking out 7 walking two and allowing just 3 hits. If he learns to throw a breaking pitch to go along with his fastball this year he could break out but on the other side of the coin if still he only has one pitch he will be hammered in AA. Spring training phenon Arnoldo Munuz pitched for the Barons allowing two solo home rums in two innings, striking out four. Gary Majewski made a releif appearance, I'm dissapointed to see him in relief. It shows the Sox don't think as much of him as they did before his time in LA. He got the save, he's got enough talent to be one of the guys that makes the majors dispite losing his starters job in the minors. Danny Sandoval was the offensive star going 3-6, a homer short of the cycle. He also scored two runs and knocked in one. Miguel Olivo, the most interesting positioned playyer the Sox have in AA went 0-4 with a sac fly.

A CAR:
The Warthogs lost their season opener 3-4 to Kingston. Dario Ferrand got bombed. Sleeper prospect Guillermo Reyes went 1-4 with a walk and two runs scored. Edwin Yan, the man we got for Matt Guerrier went 0-4 and made an error.

A SAL:
Kannapolis lost to Lakewood by the same score as the Warthogs game. Starter Andrew Fryson pitched well, 5 IP 6 K 2 BB but the game was blown by reliever Rigal Olivo. 2000 third round pick shortstop Mike Morse went 0-4.

Daver
04-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanx Kermit.

RichH55
04-06-2002, 06:29 PM
What about Casey Rogowski?

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
What about Casey Rogowski?

He's starting the season on the DL, I'm not sure what his problem is. Presumably when he starts the season he'll be at Winston-Salem.

Chisox_cali
04-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Sounds like unless Manos is traded that Hummel might get the Crede treatment, having him playing SS, and Harris at 2nd. Unless they start puting Harris in the OF it appears that Harris may take over for Ray Ray, which kind of sucks because Hummel had been the heir apparent to Ray longer. I guess Harris has the upper hand being a lefty and possible lead-off hitter.

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Sounds like unless Manos is traded that Hummel might get the Crede treatment, having him playing SS, and Harris at 2nd. Unless they start puting Harris in the OF it appears that Harris may take over for Ray Ray, which kind of sucks because Hummel had been the heir apparent to Ray longer. I guess Harris has the upper hand being a lefty and possible lead-off hitter.

Actually I think there are two more likely possibilities.

1) Crede is completely out of favor for a job and will be traded. Jose stays at third, Hummel is the heir at short.

2) Hummel is still the heir at second because they don't think he can actually play short. Harris is holding the spot down to see if he can play the position since he's being groomed as a utility man.

MisterB
04-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

JM and KW have stated that when Clayton walks after this season, Manos is not returning to SS. So Crede is (again) the one to get shafted unless Hummel can't handle SS and has to go back to 2B (then they both get shafted)

RichH55
04-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

JM and KW have stated that when Clayton walks after this season, Manos is not returning to SS. So Crede is (again) the one to get shafted unless Hummel can't handle SS and has to go back to 2B (then they both get shafted)

If Hummel cant handle SS, then Manos gets moved back there....thats essentially the only option that would make sense(doesnt mean it will happen).......I dont think everyone can make the team here;)

HawkDJ
04-06-2002, 09:20 PM
While Wylie let up 6 runs, only 2 of those were earned.

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
While Wylie let up 6 runs, only 2 of those were earned.

True but whoever said unearned runs don't have anything to do with pitching?

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey what would you guys think of a runthrough of the minors by me as a regular WSI feature? Like the Totally Biased Game Recap?

HawkDJ
04-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

True but whoever said unearned runs don't have anything to do with pitching?

Well the pitcher does have to give up the runs but had the error not occured, the pitcher wouldn't even have the opportunity to give them up most of the time.

Daver
04-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Hey what would you guys think of a runthrough of the minors by me as a regular WSI feature? Like the Totally Biased Game Recap?

That Kermit,is an excellent idea.

OfficerKarkovice
04-07-2002, 12:57 AM

I would like to see that if someone was willing to do it.

Jerry_Manuel
04-07-2002, 01:12 AM

That would be cool, however I would expect it to be funny. With some jabs at that piss poor Baltimore organization, included as well.

Daver
04-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

That would be cool, however I would expect it to be funny. With some jabs at that piss poor Baltimore organization, included as well.

Then perhaps you should volunteer to do it?

Soxheads
04-07-2002, 01:31 AM

Shhweeettt.

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Well the pitcher does have to give up the runs but had the error not occured, the pitcher wouldn't even have the opportunity to give them up most of the time.

If the pitcher pitches well after the errors, they won't score either. Good pitchers pick their defense up...

I too am starting to wonder if Jose is going to be traded. He has a higher worth than Clayton and it would open up room for Crede. You know whatever they say about Clayton not coming back, if he has a solid (by his standards) year and agrees to play for $2 million or so, they might take him back. Not saying I want that, but you know KW and JR - they love a bargain...

Jerry_Manuel
04-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by daver
Then perhaps you should volunteer to do it?

I have my plate full right now Daver. Besides, I'm not funny, nor do I know a thing about minor league baseball.