PDA

View Full Version : Crap under the Whitesox at Chicagosport.com

DaveIsHere
08-09-2007, 12:51 AM
The title is: Is the Food safe at the Cell?

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/08/is-your-food-sa.html

This is about California, and for some reason they put it under the Sox and mention our park not the other teams. Talk about bull****. And I am not one to get pissed about the Cubune, but this is obvious.

HotelWhiteSox
08-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Wow, what a waste of a 'blog' entry. What really was the point of that? You can't fault conspiracy theory people here. Why not just post the report about the Angels situation, because right now it just looks like an excuse to have a headline that reads 'is the food safe at the Cell?', which is what's on chicagosports.com right now.

Good catch Dave, I would be pissed if I was the Sox

munchman33
08-09-2007, 01:14 AM
The article is in reference to the inspection going on today at the Cell. The Cubs aren't at home.

Granted, I don't think this would have made the website if the Cubs were at home first, and the Sox where on the road. They would have probably waited and done a fair article about how all ballparks were being checked more frequently now. It's unfortunate that we have to wait for things to fall completely favorably for us in order to simply get a fair shake.

DSpivack
08-09-2007, 02:11 AM
I'm not sure if there's been a better example of Trib bias than this. Generally I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but you're turning a blind eye if you don't think the Trib doesn't like the Sox.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Seriously, while all buildings with food can have rodent and insect problems, which is more likely to have a rat problem, Wrigley or Comiskey? Get real.

AzureJazzMan
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
You know, I've never liked Mark Gonzales as the White Sox beat writer since he started in '05. He doesn't like the team, never has. He is simply a bad sports blogger (because he doesn't deserve the title of writer) who misses his old home in San Francisco, or his old beat in Phoenix. Guess what Mark? We don't like you! Go back to where you came from and begin sniffing Bonds' jock strap, or rub some IcyHot on Randy Johnson's sore back. Because ever since you've arrived, all you've done is reminisce about your time in cities that aren't Chicago. Please leave....God I hate that guy!

Fenway
08-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Seriously, while all buildings with food can have rodent and insect problems, which is more likely to have a rat problem, Wrigley or Comiskey? Get real.

Levy Foods is connected in Chicago, Sportservice of Buffalo is not

MarySwiss
08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I must have read this wrong or something. It seems to me that he made the point in the first paragraph that people eating at the Cell shouldn't worry and that the food was just as "fresh and tasty" as usual. I agree that it was unnecessary to bring the Cell into the discussion at all, but this just didn't get me as worked up as most of their truly anti-Sox crap does.

However, to the poster that wants to send Gonzales back to Phoenix--c'mon pal, give us a break. We've already got enough bad reporters. :cool:

Gavin
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
You people are paranoid.

TDog
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I must have read this wrong or something. It seems to me that he made the point in the first paragraph that people eating at the Cell shouldn't worry and that the food was just as "fresh and tasty" as usual. I agree that it was unnecessary to bring the Cell into the discussion at all, but this just didn't get me as worked up as most of their truly anti-Sox crap does.

However, to the poster that wants to send Gonzales back to Phoenix--c'mon pal, give us a break. We've already got enough bad reporters. :cool:

The Republic had a great reporter in Don Bolles. After the mob blew him up, the Arizona Press Club named an award after him.

Mary, you seem to be saying that people are overreacting to this story, and with that I would concur.

If I were covering the Sox, I would have done the same story, and I harbor no bias against the Sox. The story out of California went national. The park in Anaheim is beautiful and seems so clean. Every baseball fan should be concerned about the what they eat at the park. It's the responsibility of local media to localize this story, answering questions fans have about eating at the ballpark. The White Sox are in town, and I'm sure management appreciates media telling the fans that their food is safe. It's a responsible story. It would be responsible to look at all sports concessions in the city, and eventually one of the newspapers might. This story was triggered by timely events

Ron Mexico
08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Mark Gonzales does not impress me at all. He has demonstrated zero passion for the team he is actively covering. I do not recall an inside scoop the guy has dished or provocative interview. Unlike guys from the Herald, Suntimes and even MLB.com; when have you ever heard him jump on a radio for an interview?

He is probably another Tribster hoping to land the Cubs beat or feels covering the White Sox is journalism probation.

thomas35forever
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Ya gotta be kidding me. Like the food at Wrigley is safer and cleaner? Example: when I went to Opening Day at Wrigley this year, I ordered a plain hot dog from one of the stands (first customer of that one for the year mind you) and I found a bit of onions on the weiner. I had to scrape it off before eating. Even my friend, a Cubs fan, was impressed by the presence of churros at Comiskey. What is the Trib coming to these days?

Fenway
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
The Republic had a great reporter in Don Bolles. After the mob blew him up, the Arizona Press Club named an award after him.

Don Bolles was killed while investigating Jeremy Jacobs who happens to be the WS food vendor.

MarySwiss
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Mary, you seem to be saying that people are overreacting to this story, and with that I would concur.

If I were covering the Sox, I would have done the same story, and I harbor no bias against the Sox. The story out of California went national. The park in Anaheim is beautiful and seems so clean. Every baseball fan should be concerned about the what they eat at the park. It's the responsibility of local media to localize this story, answering questions fans have about eating at the ballpark. The White Sox are in town, and I'm sure management appreciates media telling the fans that their food is safe. It's a responsible story. It would be responsible to look at all sports concessions in the city, and eventually one of the newspapers might. This story was triggered by timely events

TDog, before I moved here in 1996, I had never heard of Don Bolles, but I believe there has been a story about him in the Republic every year since, usually right around the time of his murder. There was a huge spread last year, the 30th anniversary. He is considered a beacon of honest journalism.

And yes, I believe people are overreacting to this blog. I am no Gonzales or Tribune fan, but he was probably just looking for a lead-in and he took the easy, albeit lazy, one, given the fact the Sox are in town. I join the others, however, in doubting whether he would have used the same kind of lead-in about Wrigley Field, for obvious reasons.:cool:

DSpivack
08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Ya gotta be kidding me. Like the food at Wrigley is safer and cleaner? Example: when I went to Opening Day at Wrigley this year, I ordered a plain hot dog from one of the stands (first customer of that one for the year mind you) and I found a bit of onions on the weiner. I had to scrape it off before eating. Even my friend, a Cubs fan, was impressed by the presence of churros at Comiskey. What is the Trib coming to these days?

My favorite at the park besides a kosher is elotes, though I seldom get them.

The reason being is that the way the headline was worded they linked what was going on in Anaheim to US Cellular Field. They would never make such a connection at Wrigley.

Ron Mexico
08-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Perhaps we lit a fire under his ass yesterday...

One day after chiding the guy for his half-hearted effort in covering the White Sox, I hear him on the radio with North this morning and find about 5 blog entries in a row on Hardball. :D:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Fenway
08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
TDog, before I moved here in 1996, I had never heard of Don Bolles, but I believe there has been a story about him in the Republic every year since, usually right around the time of his murder. There was a huge spread last year, the 30th anniversary. He is considered a beacon of honest journalism.

The Boston Globe has been trying to nail Jermey Jacobs on the Bolles murder for 30 years. Bolles dying words were "Emprise" which was what the company was known as before it became Delaware North.

Jacobs is famous for lending teams money in return for long term concession contracts.....(loansharking?) Bill Veeck hated him and wrote about him in Thirty Tons A Day.

MisterB
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
The Boston Globe has been trying to nail Jermey Jacobs on the Bolles murder for 30 years. Bolles dying words were "Emprise" which was what the company was known as before it became Delaware North.

Jacobs is famous for lending teams money in return for long term concession contracts.....(loansharking?) Bill Veeck hated him and wrote about him in Thirty Tons A Day.

This article (http://www.sdreader.com/php/cityshow.php?id=1076) has gives a rundown of Emprise/Delaware North's background including the Bolles murder. Interesting read.

Fenway
08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
This article (http://www.sdreader.com/php/cityshow.php?id=1076) has gives a rundown of Emprise/Delaware North's background including the Bolles murder. Interesting read.

There is a lot of money in hot dogs and beer. Jacobs is worth 1.4 BILLION according to Forbes. Man has destroyed hockey in Boston.

miker
08-11-2007, 12:31 PM
When you're counting the rats at Wrigley, does that include the 40,000 who overpaid for their tickets?

bigfoot
08-11-2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ie/episode/0,,FOOD_28496_51786,00.html

Perhaps this the reason that the Food network chose USCell to highlight their "Dinner Impossible" talents?

Notice: No tenderloin of rodent on the menu!