PDA

View Full Version : Pods' WS Homerun

mrwag
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Pods' World Series homerun is being showcased on Whitesox.com along with Bond's record breaker. Am I the only one who still gets chills watching that? Man, those were some good times...

Chez
08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
It's also featured in FOX's new TV ads for post-season baseball. Good stuff.

skottyj242
08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I was there.:D:

thomas35forever
08-08-2007, 03:36 PM
This is weird because I just got done watching Game 2 of the WS on DVD. Best game in White Sox history and Pods will never hit a bigger home run in his life.

downstairs
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Chills indeed.

I was there, and I remember I didn't even cheer. I just did not believe it. Just stood there and shook my head.

nsolo
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I was there.:D:

Tell me more! I could have never afforded to get tickets to any of the post season games, but one person told me that after Pods hit the HR, the noise from the crowd was deafening. Is that so?

It still gives me chills to review it.

FoulkeFan
08-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Tell me more! I could have never afforded to get tickets to any of the post season games, but one person told me that after Pods hit the HR, the noise from the crowd was deafening. Is that so?

It still gives me chills to review it.

I was lucky enough to be there too! Quite frankly, I don't remember the noise after the home run, because I was just sitting there dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that Pods actually hit the game winning homer!

However, the noise after Paulie's grand slam WAS deafening. I can't remember it ever being that loud.

santo=dorf
08-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I liked Konerko's better. Damaso acting like a little kid in the bullpen sealed the deal

Foulke You
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I was lucky enough to be there too! Quite frankly, I don't remember the noise after the home run, because I was just sitting there dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that Pods actually hit the game winning homer!

However, the noise after Paulie's grand slam WAS deafening. I can't remember it ever being that loud.
Everyone I talked to that was at Game 2 of the WS agrees that the noise after Konerko's grand slam was louder than for the Pods walkoff. With the bases loaded and Konerko at the plate, everyone was hoping for something amazing to happen, Paulie delivered and the crowd exploded. When Pods was up with the bases empty at the end of the game, nobody was thinking "walkoff HR!" with a guy who had 0HRs during the regular season and 1 fluke HR off of Boston in the ALDS. I think everyone was probably just hoping Pods would get a hit or a walk so he could steal 2nd. I think Rowand and Anderson's reaction in the dugout was what the same thing the crowd was doing. If you'll recall on the DVD they had those two mic'd and you could hear them in the dugout say "oh my God! no way! no way!" after Pods connected.:D:

jdm2662
08-08-2007, 05:53 PM
All the clips from 2005 are still available on Whitesox.com. And yes, I've watched them quite a bit. They never get old.

lizard6king6
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Yep still get chills. I dont care what Pods does the rest of his career, that one game and that one season and especially that one homerun will forever make him White Sox. He will always be one of my favorite players and that homerun just made it even sweeter. Now off to go watch the dvds again!

skottyj242
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM

I have never went from being somewhat freezing cold to so hot I had to take my jacket off as I was after Paulie hit the grand slam.

Speaking of does anyone know where that ball is right now? Last time I saw it, it was at Harry Caray's downtown with a note and a picture of the guy catching it.

anewman35
08-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I was there too, with my sister. The funny part is that after Paulie's ball, before we blew the lead, she said she was glad we were winning, but she wished we could have another expierence as neat. Well, we got it. The only sad part - I'm 26 and I know that I'll never go to a better game in my life...

The Critic
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I was actually still kind of mad at Pods for not throwing the runner out at home in the top half of the inning, so I think my second reaction was "Well, at least he made up for that awful throw!" :D:
My first reaction, of course, was a disbelieving whoop.....:bandance:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I think Rowand and Anderson's reaction in the dugout was what the same thing the crowd was doing. If you'll recall on the DVD they had those two mic'd and you could hear them in the dugout say "oh my God! no way! no way!" after Pods connected.:D:

That was awesome. Rowand and BA were great.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
After a long day that brought a big smile to my face! Thanks!:D:

Frontman
08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Rowand/BA/and of course Rooney's response was the best. Farmio laughing with sheer joy as Rooney describes it is just something that I will always smile when I hear it or even think of it.

BeeBeeRichard
08-08-2007, 08:19 PM
We were standing on the concourse right behind the last row of seats, between third and home, so our angle was almost directly behind the flight of the ball. As it rose, it was almost slow motion-- like the finale of "The Natural"-- as the outfielders moved toward the gap and, unbelievably, they gave up on it, the ball nestling into the bleachers. Perhaps partly caught up in the emotion of the moment and also because we were outside the bowl, I don't remember the noise. I do remember staying in the park as long as we could, and all the seats, outfield concourse and the vendor kiosks glistening in the rain. I didn't think there'd be a Game 6, so I wanted to take in all of the moment I could. What a great day!

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I just watched the World Series DVD a couple nights ago before going to bed and started bawling on several occasions, including the Podsednik HR. Puffers was up for grabs after he hit that.

caracascat
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Luckily I was there. But remember after Paulie's Grand slam, Jenks gives up 2 runs in the 9th and you think our hearts will be broken again. In a chilly night up comes Scottie Pods and does the unthinkable. At first I thought it was a deep fly out and then a double and no I just couldn't believe it a Pods homer! I knew at that moment that we would win the Series

But how about the Geoff Blum homer the next game!

davenicholson
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Mrs. davenicholson and I were there, and I have to say that, in our opinion, the noise level was much higher after the Podsednik game winner than even after Konerko's slam. That is not to say, of course, that the place (and we) didn't go crazy after the Konerko homer, but it seemed completely out of control in the 9th. As I tried to explain it to my brother, I thought that my head was going to blow off of my shoulders after the Konerko grand slam. After Podsednik, I think it did.:cool: That was absolutely the greatest sports moment of my 50+ years, and I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Hokiesox
08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I just watched it again. I got chills, which is usual. But I noticed something new. Watch again, as Pods is rounding second base, you can see everyone in the Whitesox dugout running to greet him at the plate. To me, that mass of black and white may as well be EVERY single white sox fan on the planet running out there.

Thanks for posting this, I was having a REAL crappy day, but now I'm smiling and giddy again!

Hell, I even forgot, for a moment, that we're 11.5 back.

:gulp::gulp:

ChiSoxFan7
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I was there, fifteen rows behind where the ball landed.

My brother and I looked at each other, and in some choice words, said no way, no way.

It was wierd from out there because the fans had been standing all night with every mid to deep fly ball. so when pods did it and everyone stood we weren't that into it, until we saw taveras (?) running into the wall. My section went nuts,

but overall

I have never been in such a loud place before. If it would have been domed it could have been deafening.

cws05champ
08-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I still have that game on my Tivo. I told my wife...if it gets deleted, it means divorce!!!:D:

nedlug
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Sitting in the very top (handicapped seating) row, right-center field, the ball was hit towards us.

Exactly what happened:
1. Pods hit it.
2. I said, 'No ******* way'
3. I looked at Taveras, who was in full sprint mode towards the wall.
4. I said, 'No ******* way'
5. The ball landed into the crowd.
6. I said, 'No ******* way'
7. Bedlam.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
The day of Game 2 I was terribly sick and basically did nothing but lay in bed all day. My temperature was 102 at the time, Jenks had just blown the save, so basically I felt like total crap at the time. Podsednik hit the home run and I immediately thought I was healthy again. I got up out of bed and was walking around with the biggest smile on my face. I thought Pods had cured me! However, the next morning I realize he did not, but he still gave me one of the greatest moments of my life.

thomas35forever
08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I might as well give my perspective. Like everyone else, I was sure that Paulie's grand slam had won it. Then, the Astros tied it and I felt awful. I just sat down on the floor up against the couch just waiting to see what would happen next. When Pods first hit it, I was like "That's a good hit, that should be a double." When it seemed like it was going out, I sat up a bit. It lands in the seats and I just explode in the air yelling out "OMG!" I don't know how many times. I don't think I'll ever react to a home run the way I did that night. Pods doing the unthinkable was the turning point in the series.

gn2727
08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I was there too, with my sister. The funny part is that after Paulie's ball, before we blew the lead, she said she was glad we were winning, but she wished we could have another expierence as neat. Well, we got it. The only sad part - I'm 26 and I know that I'll never go to a better game in my life...

Best game of my life too. Like you I'm 26 as well. Those were the best seats I've ever had at a baseball game and they were well worth the money I spent to get them (Scout Seats 5 rows back). I'll never forget that HR ever, nor will I forget the 65+ year old man next to me and the conversation we had prior to the walk off HR:

me: I hope Pods gets a single and steals second
old guy: f**k that I hope he homers and ends it
me: yeah that would be nice
--------------
next pitch hit out of the park

old guy: I told ya!
me: absolutely stunned

DumpJerry
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I was there. Took two weeks for my voice to return. Apparently, screaming at the top of your lungs for 20 minutes non-stop is not a very wise move for the throat.

One of the people in my box called it. Pods came up and he said "he'll hit a home run." We all laughed. Then we got happy.

My cousin was sitting near where the ball landed. The best thing about where he was sitting was with whom he was sitting: Brad Lidge's aunt and cousin (they live near my cousin in Beverly and invited him to the game). My cousin went nuts while the Lidge kin contemplated suicide......

SynchroJet
08-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Awesome, just awesome. I even got chills and goosebumps just from reading the posts on this thread.

ode to veeck
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
That was awesome. Rowand and BA were great.

It's my single favorite highlight from the '05 playoffs: BA watching and Aaron going "no way ... NO WAY ... NO WAY .....AAAARHHARHAWYAAHHHHHHHH!!!"

kingpin_rcs
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I still have that game on my Tivo. I told my wife...if it gets deleted, it means divorce!!!:D:

I also had all WS games on the TiVo and I had watch the HRs many many times. I deleted them after I got the DVDs. However, there were a few things on TV that did not make it to the DVD. For example, the campy Bill Veck/Shoeless Joe thing before game 1 and the "na, na, hey, hey" montage to close it out.

esbrechtel
08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
one of the most amazing White Sox moments ever....

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Truly an amazing moment. I love listening to the Sox radio call of it so that you can hear a true professional call an historic event. Unfortunately, while watching it live, I was stuck with Joe Buck. He had a couple of chances to make memorable calls during the 2005 World Series and choked each and every time.

ode to veeck
08-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I also had all WS games on the TiVo and I had watch the HRs many many times. I deleted them after I got the DVDs. However, there were a few things on TV that did not make it to the DVD. For example, the campy Bill Veck/Shoeless Joe thing before game 1 and the "na, na, hey, hey" montage to close it out.

I still have the HD TiVos cause the DVDs are well (so far) just regular DVDs

KenBerryGrab
08-09-2007, 05:49 PM
.... Unfortunately, while watching it live, I was stuck with Joe Buck. He had a couple of chances to make memorable calls during the 2005 World Series and choked each and every time.

This is SO true. He's so full of himself that he can't let the moments shine through. Those times he reaches for something, it's...just...off. Major tool.

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 05:51 PM
This is SO true. He's so full of himself that he can't let the moments shine through. Those times he reaches for something, it's...just...off. Major tool.

His call of Blum's HR was enough to be fired, on that single moment, IMO.

FedEx227
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I was at home upstairs in my room and I jumped down about 12 stairs and kicked a door screaming. Man that was a great moment.

JoeyCora28
08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I was in Sec. 114 down the first base line and when I saw the arc of the ball, I first thought it was going to be another long flyout just like Uribe. Then it seemed like the ball just kept carrying...

When it hit the seats in right-center, the place just exploded. I don't think I'll ever hug/high-five/be hugged/be high-fived by so many total strangers ever again.

Patrick134
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
A funny thing i remember is that Mccarver was saying that the big Pujols homer off Lidge would have no lingering effect on Lidge just seconds before Pods hit the homer.

ode to veeck
08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
His call of Blum's HR was enough to be fired, on that single moment, IMO.

That's one of our other favorites, just to listen to Buck nearly miss the whole thing ... he made Harry Carey on 20 Budweisers look like Albert Einstein

ilsox7
08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
That's one of our other favorites, just to listen to Buck nearly miss the whole thing ... he made Harry Carey on 20 Budweisers look like Albert Einstein

Yea. If my memory is correct, he was pontificating about how many trips to the moon someone could have made in the time Game 3 had taken. Almost as an aside, Blum hits it out of the park.

Martinigirl
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I was in 114 too!

I loved that moment, but I have to say, Paulie's grand slam is my absolute favorite World Series moment. Both were magical, but there was something about the slam. Maybe it was just the fact that it was the first pitch or the fact that you knew it was gone the second it left his bat, but it was just the most amazing baseball moment I have ever seen. It was perfect.

As far as how loud it was, I think the slam was louder, but another moment in the playoffs that was insanely loud was Crede's double in the ALCS, after the AJ/dropped pitch play. It was the only playoff game I was at that I was in the upper deck for, so maybe this happened at other times, but all I know is that the building was shaking after we won that game. It was just insanity.

Ahhh, the pure bliss that was the 2005 post season. I miss it.

I was in Sec. 114 down the first base line and when I saw the arc of the ball, I first thought it was going to be another long flyout just like Uribe. Then it seemed like the ball just kept carrying...

When it hit the seats in right-center, the place just exploded. I don't think I'll ever hug/high-five/be hugged/be high-fived by so many total strangers ever again.

soxlug
08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I remember not wearing warm enough clothes and being soaked all game and not caring about any of that. I also only had one beer because I wanted to rember everything about it. I sat in left field Row 19 Seat 17. I didn't realize it til I got there I drove over from Fort Wayne by myself got to the ballpark sat down and was like hey everyone you do realize what this seat is right? Row 19 seat 17 a few got it. Of course Konerko's was awesome I remember paying more attention to the outfielders than the ball and couldn't believe it when they gave up on it my stomach hurt so bad with excitement I thought I was going to throw up. Someone must of elbowed me on the top of my head cause the next day I had a huge bump on my head. Podsednik's homerun to me I couldn't believe it I was dumb founded I remember thinking okay that will be off the wall so we can get something sta.....what it's gone....unbelievable I sat out in the outfield and told myself you are going to be the last one seated out here, I sat there forever taking stock of the moment and thinking of all the Sox fans before me that would of done anything to be there for that. After the walk-off homer I turned around and snapped a picture of the fireworks and right in the middle of the picture was the 1917 flag. Such a crazy night it is hard to believe it happened.

GlassSox
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
My wife and I were there in upper deck. She is a huge Scottie the Hottie fan and we were standing with her begging and praying for Scottie to get something going. Then it happened and WOW did the place erupt. My wife has not been same since!

soltrain21
08-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Best game in White Sox history and Pods will never hit a bigger home run in his life.

I would say it would be damn near impossible, unless he hits the walk off in the clincher....in game 7...and his team is down.