PDA

View Full Version : Cubs deny Podsednik talks

The Racehorse
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Cubs-deny-Podsednik-talks?urn=mlb,41574)

Searched around & didn't see this.

SoxxoS
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
How is a decent player that is owed probably 400,000 for the rest of this season only going to clear waivers?

Foulke You
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I wasn't even aware that there were Pods to the Cubs rumors. Why would the Cubs want another left handed hitting corner outfielder? Don't they already have Jacque Jones, Angel Pagan, and Cliff Floyd to fill that role?

DrewSox56
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I wasn't even aware that there were Cubs to the Pods rumors. Why would the Cubs want another left handed hitting corner outfielder? Don't they already have Jacque Jones, Angel Pagan, and Cliff Floyd to fill that role?

Go back to the link and read Comment #6. Explains it all.

The Bone
08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Wild rumors about leadoff hitters to fill the gap for the Cubs while Soriano is injured are bound to happen.

WSox597
08-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Even with all of his injury problems, Scottie doesn't deserve such a fate. What a terrible thing to do to somebody who helped win a World Series.

"Thanks for the ring, bud, now go play in baseball hell."

areilly
08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Even with all of his injury problems, Scottie doesn't deserve such a fate. What a terrible thing to do to somebody who helped win a World Series.

I'm sure Damaso Marte, Luis Vizcaino, Orlando Hernandez and Aaron Rowand agree with you.

Gammons Peter
08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I say he's a cub by Saturday morning

Garland_IS_God
08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Didnt see it posted yet, but ESPN 1000 reporting that Podsednik cleared waivers and the Cubs have put in a claim for him. They have 3 days to come up with a deal.

Steelrod
08-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't understand. If they claimed him, how did he clear wavers?

Domeshot17
08-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm sure Damaso Marte, Luis Vizcaino, Orlando Hernandez and Aaron Rowand agree with you.

Well some of those guys got sent to ok spots. The one i thought of when he said that was good ole Cotts. The guy struggled mightily for us in 06, but he bled black and white, so to go the cubs, was a sad day for him.

Jimmy John
08-10-2007, 08:46 AM
according to ESPN Radio, the Cubs have apparently claimed him off waivers from the Sox...the teams have till Monday to work out a deal. I'm not sure what Hendry is thinking considering their current over-abundance of outfielders, and once Soriano comes back he's not going to be needed.

Whether this turns out to be just a rumor or not, it is no secret that Pods will be on his way out sooner rather than later...and I hope it won't be this weekend but it's starting to look that way.

But in any case...Pods played a huge role in our championship run, and his walk-off homer in game two will live forever in our hearts.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Appreciation thread already?

Rumor has it that all members of the 2005 team will be dead in 100 years. Better start the threads now...

Crede_Fan
08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Here check out what's the score!:searchfirst:

Over/under on the amount of threads started on this?

Dan Mega
08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Sounds like nothing more than a rumor to me.

thedudeabides
08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Sounds like nothing more than a rumor to me.
After all, it is coming form Bruce Levine.

Jaffar
08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
So who do the Cubs have that KW would accept for Pods. I can't imagine it would be for a single A pitcher, at least I hope KW would ask for more with it being the Cubs.

mcfish
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
So who do the Cubs have that KW would accept for Pods. I can't imagine it would be for a single A pitcher, at least I hope KW would ask for more with it being the Cubs. Whatever opinion our fans may have, I guarantee that KW thinks no less of the Cubs or Hendry than any other team. The approximate asking price will be no different for the Cubs than for any other team.

SoxxoS
08-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I guess Will Ohman pissed off Pinella and he might have sealed his fate with the Cubs - I would love to get Ohman for Pods. Seriously - He has good stuff.

kevingrt
08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I guess Will Ohman pissed off Pinella and he might have sealed his fate with the Cubs - I would love to get Ohman for Pods. Seriously - He has good stuff.

You are kidding right. If he does come he at least needs some scissors for his hair.

oeo
08-10-2007, 10:50 AM

He's had one good year...other than that, garbage.

I think I would puke if I saw Pods ever wearing that clown suit.

Foulke You
08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
He's had one good year...other than that, garbage.

I think I would puke if I saw Pods ever wearing that clown suit.
Yeah, the thought of seeing Scotty Pods wearing that blue hat with the red C is quite nauseating. If Will Ohman was sent here that would be salt on the wound. Ohman is awful and an example of how as long as you're left handed, you can stick around in MLB even if you suck.

Noneck
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Send Pod anywhere but there.

soxfan43
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I know odds are Pods won't be back on the south side next year, but I will be sick to my stomach if he's a cub. Kenny can say all he wants that the cubs are just another team he deals with, but his fan base knows better.

spiffie
08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I honestly don't care if Pods goes to the Cubs. Hell, he'd probably love it, he wouldn't have to change cities, he jumps into the middle of a division race, and he'd be in the NL where his gifts are more appreciated in general. I just hope we'd get something in return that we can use in the coming years.

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I honestly don't care if Pods goes to the Cubs. Hell, he'd probably love it, he wouldn't have to change cities, he jumps into the middle of a division race, and he'd be in the NL where his gifts are more appreciated in general. I just hope we'd get something in return that we can use in the coming years.

That's the thing...Pods is worth another A pitcher. Then people will be whining it up like usual.

chaerulez
08-10-2007, 11:39 AM

It's called running an organization. What did you want the Sox to do? Keep all 25 players from the World Series roster?

southsideirish71
08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Who cares if he goes to the cubs. If we can get something decent for him, great.

We are talking about a player, who cant field all that well, is a singles hitter, and hasn't exactly lit up the base paths since his 4th groin surgery. To me, he sounds like a perfect cub. Injury prone, and not exactly good.

Think about this deliciously bad OF from a defensive standpoint. Soriano in LF, Pods in CF, and Jones in RF. There was talk on the radio, that this is what they would do if and only if Soriano comes back. Santo will have a heart attack the minute a fly ball goes into the OF. OOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOO, HE DROOPPPPPED THE BALLLLL!!!!

Thanks for 2005 Pods. I am sure you will be the picture of health with the trainers on the north side.

Ron Mexico
08-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I believe Podsednik is a non-compensation free-agent, meaning the Sox get zilch upon the conclusion of the season. Getting a marginal prospect in return is clearly a better business decision rather than continuing to reminisce 2005.

The Cubs are in fact an ideal trading partner as you are keeping him from divisional foes.

Scott is obviously not in the plan for 2008 and the job is Jerry Owens' to lose.

Moving Pods is an ideal move for both parties since he wants more playing time and the opportunity to lead-off and the Sox would alleviate a log-jam of outfielders and allow for some flexibility if Sweeney is able to return if healthy.

oeo
08-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Think about this deliciously bad OF from a defensive standpoint. Soriano in LF, Pods in CF, and Jones in RF. There was talk on the radio, that this is what they would do if and only if Soriano comes back. Santo will have a heart attack the minute a fly ball goes into the OF. OOOOOOHHHHH NOOOOOO, HE DROOPPPPPED THE BALLLLL!!!!

Yeah, Alfonso Soriano is a much better defender. That guy takes the worst routes to the ball, and even hops as he's catching the ball. Pods' D > Soriano's D.

Scott is obviously not in the plan for 2008 and the job is Jerry Owens' to lose.

Owens still has to earn that job, and right now he's not even close, IMO. He actually looked like he was going to start driving the ball more, and now he can't hit **** again.

Moving Pods is an ideal move for both parties since he wants more playing time and the opportunity to lead-off and the Sox would alleviate a log-jam of outfielders and allow for some flexibility if Sweeney is able to return if healthy.I wish we had a 'logjam' of outfielders. If we did, we wouldn't be so bad this year.

We don't have to return any of our veteran outfielders next year, and we don't have a lot of help in terms of younger guys, either. This 'logjam' is nonexistent.

soxtalker
08-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I believe Podsednik is a non-compensation free-agent, meaning the Sox get zilch upon the conclusion of the season. Getting a marginal prospect in return is clearly a better business decision rather than continuing to reminisce 2005.

The Cubs are in fact an ideal trading partner as you are keeping him from divisional foes.

Moving Pods is an ideal move for both parties since he wants more playing time and the opportunity to lead-off and the Sox would alleviate a log-jam of outfielders and allow for some flexibility if Sweeney is able to return if healthy.

I agree about most of this, except the part about keeping him away from divisional foes. I would argue that it would be best if we could make such trades with one of the three teams above us. If we're not going to catch them, we'd benefit from a trade in that we'd improve our minor league system at the expense of the other team.

As far as Pods going to the Cubs; I do hope that something gets worked out. But it might simply have been a blocking move by the Cubs to keep him away from the Brewers.

hi im skot
08-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I agree about most of this, except the part about keeping him away from divisional foes. I would argue that it would be best if we could make such trades with one of the three teams above us. If we're not going to catch them, we'd benefit from a trade in that we'd improve our minor league system at the expense of the other team.

As far as Pods going to the Cubs; I do hope that something gets worked out. But it might simply have been a blocking move by the Cubs to keep him away from the Brewers.

You really think the Brewers are going after him? Do they have room?

MCHSoxFan
08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Is this why Pods did NOT play yesterday? :whiner:

southsideirish71
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, Alfonso Soriano is a much better defender. That guy takes the worst routes to the ball, and even hops as he's catching the ball. Pods' D > Soriano's D.

This is like an argument of who is the tallest midget. I agree that Soriano is horrible out in the OF. But lets not exact like Pods is passable. Pods is a bad defensive OF with a horrible arm. If the sox keep him, they should non tender him this off season. Spending a few million on a guy, who cant stay healthy and is a speed guy with multiple groin injuries is not smart for this organization. I couldn't care less if the Marlins claimed him, you negotiate a deal and you move Pods.

WSox597
08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
It's called running an organization.

Thanks, KW, appreciate the input.

I was more or less making a Cubs joke, take it easy. Obviously, quite a few members of the WS roster are elsewhere.

If I was a major league player, the absolute LAST team I'd want to play for, is eight miles north of US Cellular Field. But that's just me.

I'll try to remember the teal next time.

soxtalker
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
You really think the Brewers are going after him? Do they have room?

I have no idea what the Brewers need right now. I was just trying to make the point that some of these waiver claims can be defensive moves to keep competitors higher in the standings from acquiring the player.

oeo
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
This is like an argument of who is the tallest midget. I agree that Soriano is horrible out in the OF. But lets not exact like Pods is passable. Pods is a bad defensive OF with a horrible arm. If the sox keep him, they should non tender him this off season. Spending a few million on a guy, who cant stay healthy and is a speed guy with multiple groin injuries is not smart for this organization. I couldn't care less if the Marlins claimed him, you negotiate a deal and you move Pods.

First of all, I never said we should bring him back next year.

But...Pods' defense is still much better than Soriano's. He's bad, but that just goes to show you bad Soriano is. If the ball is hit hard to one of Soriano's sides, he's basically screwed unless he only has to take a couple of steps to his side. If it's going over his head, he won't adjust and will just cut straight across...takes a leap, at the ball because it's going off the wall.

Pods may be bad, Soriano is awful, though. He would be an upgrade in LF over Soriano until he gets back.

And actually, while we're on the topic, Pods' defense has gotten much worse over the years he's been here. I don't remember him being so shaky out there in 2005. He doesn't look relaxed out there at all, anymore.

andytheclown
08-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I do not see Williams making a deal with the Cubs.

They are our biggest rival in terms of revenue.

Helping them make the playoffs and beyond is not something the Sox want to do.

We have dealt with the Cubs before, but the situations were very different.

We traded for Bell to strengthen our playoff chances. This deal is the other way around.

The Karchner/Garland deal is similiar. And I believe the only reason we did that was because the deal was so lopsided in our favor, it was worth it.

Same deal here. If we can get above and beyond value back, we will do it. But we will not make the deal just to get something before he leaves via free agency.

Noneck
08-10-2007, 01:17 PM
If The Pod is let go, Thats the white flag. I want to see Erstad as a bench player the rest of the season. Let Gonzales play and even let Fields play some so if Crede comes back next year we at least know a little bit of Fields capabilities in left. When Sweeney gets well, then he can get some time out there also. If Pod wasn't in the plans for 08 neither should Erstad.

AJ Hellraiser
08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Mod edit: Do not report rumors telling us a "very good source" told you the information without citing who is your souce. "A very good source" is not a source.

Gavin
08-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Yep.

Taliesinrk
08-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Mod edit: Do not report rumors telling us a "very good source" told you the information without citing who is your souce. "A very good source" is not a source.

what the hell? we better get something for him, rather than helping out the cubs for fun. i just don't know if owens is ready b/c if he's not, w/o a leadoff hitter, next season could be long.

NSSoxFan
08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
what the hell? we better get something for him, rather than helping out the cubs for fun. i just don't know if owens is ready b/c if he's not, w/o a leadoff hitter, next season could be long.

A very good source tells me that Pods isn't going anywhere. There.

AJ Hellraiser
08-10-2007, 01:43 PM

The way I look at it is that this saves another $1 million.... also, if pods stayed healthy the rest of the way and began to hit a ton and steal bases then KW might be fooled into sticking with him for next year again.... this way, he's gone and KW knows the leadoff spot needs to be filled and if Owens doesn't show he can do it then KW will NEED to sign somebody in free agency or make a trade

oeo
08-10-2007, 01:50 PM

I'd imagine neither Pods or Owens will be our leadoff hitter next year. It will be someone outside of the organization. At least I hope it's not Owens. :praying:

thomas35forever
08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I would love to have Crede, Fields, and Pods all on the roster next year, but I see Pods as being the odd man out. I just hope he doesn't go to the North Side.

StillMissOzzie
08-10-2007, 02:36 PM
After all, it is coming form Bruce Levine.

I heard the same story from Mr. Tool of the Week, Mike Murphy on the radio today. He had a sound clip of Mark Gonzalez, Sox beat reporter for the Tribune, claiming that Pods has played his last game in a Sox uni.

Murphy thinks that the Sox should just give Pods away in order to save appx $1M (actually, $900K) in payroll. Wouldn't the Sox still save that same $1M if they get another A level prospect from the Cubs? It's not like the Cubs, or anyone else for that matter, is gonna demand that the Sox pony up some cash for a high ticket salary like Pods.

SMO
:gulp:

Tragg
08-10-2007, 03:00 PM

I dont' see how that makes any difference. If we're out of it, what do we care if he plays out the rest of the season in our division? If we're not out of it, we shouldn't trade him.
Also, there are, what, c. 25 other teams that would also fit that definition of "ideal trading partner".
Trade him to whichever team offers the Sox the best deal.

soxtalker
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I heard the same story from Mr. Tool of the Week, Mike Murphy on the radio today. He had a sound clip of Mark Gonzalez, Sox beat reporter for the Tribune, claiming that Pods has played his last game in a Sox uni.

Murphy thinks that the Sox should just give Pods away in order to save appx $1M (actually, $900K) in payroll. Wouldn't the Sox still save that same $1M if they get another A level prospect from the Cubs? It's not like the Cubs, or anyone else for that matter, is gonna demand that the Sox pony up some cash for a high ticket salary like Pods.

SMO

Given the Cubs / Tribune ownership situation, maybe taking on $1M isn't such an easy decision these days.

soxfan43
08-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I keep reading how if the Sox do lose Pods they save around $3mill with Mack, Gooch and Pods leaving. What is $3 mill going to buy the team? I'm pretty sure Uribe's option is worth more than $3mill, so that $3mill obviously isn't going to get you a very good player.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I keep reading how if the Sox do lose Pods they save around $3mill with Mack, Gooch and Pods leaving. What is $3 mill going to buy the team? I'm pretty sure Uribe's option is worth more than $3mill, so that $3mill obviously isn't going to get you a very good player.

Mackowiak has a $3.25 million option for 2998. Iguchi was in the last year of his contract at $3.25 million as well. Podsednik was in the last year of his contract at $2.9 million. That works out to $9.4 million off the books for next season. If things go according to plan, Richar replaces Iguchi and Sweeney/Owens/whoever replaces Mackowiak. Now the Sox have $9 million to get a FA outfielder or anything else they want.

Taliesinrk
08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Mackowiak has a $3.25 million option for 2998. Iguchi was in the last year of his contract at $3.25 million as well. Podsednik was in the last year of his contract at $2.9 million. That works out to $9.4 million off the books for next season. If things go according to plan, Richar replaces Iguchi and Sweeney/Owens/whoever replaces Mackowiak. Now the Sox have $9 million to get a FA outfielder or anything else they want.

But those contracts were (up - at least gooch and pods) next year, so they would have had that money anyway.. right?

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 03:25 PM
But those contracts were (up - at least gooch and pods) next year, so they would have had that money anyway.. right?

Technically, yes. But with talks of extending Iguchi and the like, they would have got similar salaries. Plus, the team saves a couple million this season but no longer having to pay Iguchi and Mackowiak.

munchman33
08-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Raises to players under contract eat up more than that $9 million.

itsnotrequired
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Raises to players under contract eat up more than that $9 million.

Yep and if we kept/resigned them, we'd be even more in the hole.

:dunno:

DumpJerry
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Pods is in the White Sox lineup tonight.

NSSoxFan
08-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Impossible.

DumpJerry
08-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Impossible.
I know. But, it is per The Score.

jdm2662
08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I know. But, it is per The Score.

Did a "source" tell them this?

ChiSox524
08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I just saw this on the Blackhawks message boards. Does anyone know if this is true?

http://boards.chicagoblackhawks.com/index.php?showtopic=17059

bryPt
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
there is enough interest to have a Blackhawks board? Hmmm?

whitem0nkey
08-10-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91375

chisoxfanatic
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Tons of people are put and claimed off waivers with nothing done. Scotty's not going to be going to the Cubs. There's even a huge thread about this in What's the Score?

jenn2080
08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I just saw this on the Blackhawks message boards. Does anyone know if this is true?

http://boards.chicagoblackhawks.com/index.php?showtopic=17059

Who knew that there was enough of a Blackhawks following for a message board?

Lip Man 1
08-10-2007, 05:45 PM
What is this Lackhawks you speak of?

:D:

Knowing Wirtz he probably charges you to post a message!

Lip

ChiSox524
08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91375

Thanks. Didn't see that.

russ99
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM

SMO

Pods didn't play yesterday cause he had 6 at-bats and played 13 innings the night before. I'd be very surprised if he weren't playing tonight.

First of all, this waiver claim thing is pretty standard in baseball. Lots of players are claimed with nothing being announced.

Still, the fact that the 36-hour deadline was mentioned makes me believe that Kenny didn't just pull Pods back from waivers. Still, I can't see the Cubs offering anything that takes away from the Cubs major league roster that will make him bite.

On a personal note, If Kenny does a roster dump and just gifts my favorite Sox player to the stinking Cubs for a never to be seen again A-ball player, I'll have to think long and hard about spending any cash on the 2008 White Sox.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I will be shocked if the Sox essentially give the Cubs Pods for free for the stretch run.

ChiSoxIn06
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I wouldnt mind if the sox traded pods to the cubs if they get either fontenot or theriot in return...that would pretty much send uribe on his way out after this year.

JB98
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I wouldnt mind if the sox traded pods to the cubs if they get either fontenot or theriot in return...that would pretty much send uribe on his way out after this year.

That isn't going to happen. Pods isn't worth much of anything....

RowanDye
08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
That isn't going to happen. Pods isn't worth much of anything....

If a leadoff hitter that can replace Soriano isn't worth anything to the Cubs, then there is no point in trading him.

I'd take Pie for him...

Brian26
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
I wouldnt mind if the sox traded pods to the cubs if they get either fontenot or theriot in return.

How in the hell would either of those guys clear waivers? Not going to happen. If Pods goes to the Cubs, it's going to be for free (ie a low minor league prospect).

JermaineDye05
08-10-2007, 08:55 PM
BBTN has reported the Cubs claimed him off waivers.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I'd take Pie for him...

Didn't they just recall Pie? He'd have to clear waivers. Nothwithstaning that, there's no way they'd offer Pie for Pods.

JB98
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
If a leadoff hitter that can replace Soriano isn't worth anything to the Cubs, then there is no point in trading him.

I'd take Pie for him...

The Cubs would never offer him, and he would never clear waivers anyway.

Pods is worth an A-ball pitcher.

Brian26
08-10-2007, 08:58 PM
BBTN has reported the Cubs claimed him off waivers.

That doesn't mean they get him. The Sox have pulled him back, and now both teams have about a day and a half to try to work out a trade. Won't happen.

JermaineDye05
08-10-2007, 08:59 PM
That doesn't mean they get him. The Sox have pulled him back, and now both teams have about a day and a half to try to work out a trade. Won't happen.

yeah I know, just posting what I heard.

Clembasbal
08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
The Cubs would never offer him, and he would never clear waivers anyway.

Pods is worth an A-ball pitcher.

I don't think he would have to clear waivers, reason being...the Sox would not use him in the playoffs anyway because they are not going to be there. This is the waiver wire for the playoffs, I am fairly sure that you can trade a player at any time, but before certain dates in order to use them in the playoffs.

I could be wrong, but I would need evidence to prove it!:D:

JB98
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't think he would have to clear waivers, reason being...the Sox would not use him in the playoffs anyway because they are not going to be there. This is the waiver wire for the playoffs, I am fairly sure that you can trade a player at any time, but before certain dates in order to use them in the playoffs.

I could be wrong, but I would need evidence to prove it!:D:

If he's on a major-league roster, he would have to clear waivers to be dealt.

oeo
08-10-2007, 09:09 PM

I'd take Pie for him...

This is why people get pissed at these trades. Pods will get us another A pitcher. If you think you're going to get Fellx Pie for Scott Podsednik, you're crazy.

Clembasbal
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
If he's on a major-league roster, he would have to clear waivers to be dealt.

What evidence do you have?:D:

That makes sense though. What is the playoff roster deadline, there is another one of those.

JB98
08-10-2007, 09:12 PM
What evidence do you have?:D:

That makes sense though. What is the playoff roster deadline, there is another one of those.

September 1. You have to acquire a player before then for him to play in the playoffs.

Clembasbal
08-10-2007, 09:16 PM
September 1. You have to acquire a player before then for him to play in the playoffs.

There it is!

upperdeckusc
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM

I'd take Pie for him...

:rolling::rolling: I'm sure you would. That's about as likely to happen as Juan Uribe leading the team in OBP...

Gordon Gekko
08-10-2007, 11:29 PM

I'd take Pie for him...

The Cubs have no need for a leadoff hitter. Theriot has done a good job and Kendall led off for Pittsburgh and Oakland many times in the past. They may be interested in Podsednik as a 4th outfielder over Pagan or whatever. Plus, the rosters expand in September, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd like him for the stretch run and into October.

They put in a waiver claim on better players like Shannon Stewart and Casey Blake, so we'll see what happens.

The Cubs wouldn't deal Pie for an impact player at the deadline, so why would they part with him for Podsednik? The best the Sox can hope for is a PTBNL bringing back someone like Ohman or a lower-level prospect. Hendry doesn't have to do a deal because the kids he's bringing up are contributing. Plus, Jacque Jones is contributing. I mean, the Sox have few options if they want to bring up more kids for '08's sake. I doubt they'll pull him back or do a salary dump on the Cubs. Something will get worked out.

Podsednik could leadoff should Soriano come back and they want to drop him to 3,4 or 5 but again Theriot is just as good of an option in that spot.

esbrechtel
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
so are you saying it is going to happen or you dont think it will...it is hard to tell in your post....

Personally, I don't think this deal makes too much sense for either team...Theriot has been fine, Soriano will be back, Pie is a fine 4th OF, Jones is finally hitting....There is no reason for them to try for Pods...
As for the Sox what are we going to do with another crappy pitching prospect? Pods has been playing well as of late and we might need a 4th OF next season so why not offer Erstad instead?

Tragg
08-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Pods has been playing well as of late and we might need a 4th OF next season so why not offer Erstad instead?
We can offer, but Pods is a legitimate leadoff hitter - he can get on base and steal bases. Erstad does none of the above.

esbrechtel
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
We can offer, but Pods is a legitimate leadoff hitter - he can get on base and steal bases. Erstad does none of the above.
My point was they dont need a lead off hitter, Theriot is doing fine...just a 4th OF...

Noneck
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM

I agree but Erstad led off tonight and Pods batted 7th. It didn't make sense if they were showcasing Pods as a leadoff guy.

Gordon Gekko
08-11-2007, 12:27 AM
My point was they dont need a lead off hitter, Theriot is doing fine...just a 4th OF...

I think Pods will get dealt to the Cubs this weekend. If he's not, the Sox see absolutely nothing for him should/when he leave(s) after this year.

Pods serves as insurance should Soriano, Pagan or Floyd miss significant time when it matters. Pagan really is the 4th outfielder, but the Cubs also play DeRosa out there as well or Matt Murton, who is on fire since being called up this week. Add Pie and Eric Patterson to the mix, and it's a virtual logjam right now.

The Cubs really need another power hitter more than they do a guy like Podsednik. Casey Blake likely won't fall to them, but he'd make the most sense out of who I've seen. Can play multiple positions and hit for relative power. Even Shannon Stewart makes more sense. Heck, even Jose Contreras would make more sense.

If I were the Cubs front office, I'd add just about anyone with postseason experience, especially if I don't have to part with highly-heralded players. But adding Podsednik has me scratching my head a little, if only because he's injury-prone and the Cubs have several speedy players already.

Tragg
08-11-2007, 12:28 AM
My point was they dont need a lead off hitter, Theriot is doing fine...just a 4th OF... I'm surprised they'd want Pods for a 4th outfielder. His skills don't seem to match that role, to me.
As for Erstad, he has no discernable offensive skill at all. Defensively, he can cover ground, but has no arm. Ozzie loves him, but making his outs to the "right" side offers limited value to other teams, imo.

HotelWhiteSox
08-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Gotta love the Trib, chicagosports front site headline 'Cubs honing in on Podsednik' when the entire article is about how a deal is doubtful. No headline when the Sox put a claim on Tejada, just a little blurb added to the end of a piece about Ozzie praising Bonds

JB98
08-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Gotta love the Trib, chicagosports front site headline 'Cubs honing in on Podsednik' when the entire article is about how a deal is doubtful. No headline when the Sox put a claim on Tejada, just a little blurb added to the end of a piece about Ozzie praising Bonds

It seems like a lot of the Cub-loving sheep are excited about the prospects of Pods on the North Side. The question is, why? Are they unaware that Scott is an oft-injured player who has lost his job to the immortal Jerry Owens?

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Gotta love the Trib, chicagosports front site headline 'Cubs honing in on Podsednik' Well, you made me go check, because I figured there's no way they would say "honing in" instead of "homing in," since "honing in" makes absolutely no sense. But, by golly, they sure did!

esbrechtel
08-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm surprised they'd want Pods for a 4th outfielder. His skills don't seem to match that role, to me.
As for Erstad, he has no discernable offensive skill at all. Defensively, he can cover ground, but has no arm. Ozzie loves him, but making his outs to the "right" side offers limited value to other teams, imo.
I agree 100%....on all accounts...I also agree with the fact that they have been complaining about lack of HR...you think the only tape of Pods they had was from the WS?:redneck

WSox597
08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
If the Cubs trade for Pods, just think of the simulated team they could have.

Wood, Prior, Pods, and Erstad. They would be contenders for the simulated World Series!

Seriously, though, when Pods is healthy, he is a definite contributor. It's just he usually isn't healthy. Has he had a full season without injury since he's been with the Sox?

Also, many female fans would be very upset if Pods was traded. Trust me on this one.

The Dude
08-11-2007, 08:22 AM
How is a decent player that is owed probably 400,000 for the rest of this season only going to clear waivers?

Who in this topic is a decent player???:?:

soxfan13
08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Dont know if this was mentioned previously but on ESPN radio late last night they were talking about supposedly the Sox getting Ronny Cedeno for Pods. A few posters have said that Soriano is coming back and they dont see the need for the trade. Realistically, the injury is one that can shelve Soriano longer then originally planned. I think the Cubs are just making sure they have insurance if this does happen. This is the second outfielder/leadoff they have tried to trade for since the injury, Shannon Stewart being the first.

WizardsofOzzie
08-11-2007, 08:40 AM
If the Cubs trade for Pods, just think of the simulated team they could have.

Wood, Prior, Pods, and Erstad. They would be contenders for the simulated World Series!

Seriously, though, when Pods is healthy, he is a definite contributor. It's just he usually isn't healthy. Has he had a full season without injury since he's been with the Sox?

Also, many female fans would be very upset if Pods was traded. Trust me on this one.

Yeah, Chisoxgirl already told me she would :whiner:

KyWhiSoxFan
08-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I can see the Sox getting rid of Pods. They save $800,000 and he's not part of the future anyway. You can't rely on him because of all his injuries. KW will be getting someone else to play LF next year, so he is expendable. I don't want to see him back.

Soxgirl22
08-11-2007, 10:27 AM

I can vouch for that.

tdwiek
08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
This was on Cubune website:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070810cubsbrite,1,3770015.story

The Chicago Tribune, citing a major league source, reported on its Web site that the Cubs had put in a claim for Podsednik off waivers. The White Sox had two business days to work out a trade with the Cubs, simply let him go to the North Side team or pull him off waivers.

johnr1note
08-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1658124#post1658124)

I was at Tuesday night's game, with my 17 year old daughter and 2 of her best friends, all in Pods jerseys, shirts, hats, signs saying "Scott is Hott!' etc. Every time Pods came to bat, you would think we were at a Beatles concert or something. The fact of these current trade talks has caused all 3 of my teenage daughters to be in a very, very deep funk.

Justagirl
08-11-2007, 10:38 AM
True..I for one would miss seeing his face. I've always had a thing for Cotts, and look where he ended up. :(:
But aside from being eye candy, I would mostly miss the energy he brings to the plate, for sure. When he is healthy and here, he's definitely an asset to the team.

tstrike2000
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
This story kind of came out of nowhere.

ode to veeck
08-11-2007, 11:18 AM

LOL!

sure, if it's a share the hate for Wirtz board

back to the regularly scheduled pods rumor mills ...

upperdeckusc
08-11-2007, 11:37 AM
This story kind of came out of nowhere.

true, besides the fact it's been out there and talked about for the past 3 days.............??

oeo
08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Dont know if this was mentioned previously but on ESPN radio late last night they were talking about supposedly the Sox getting Ronny Cedeno for Pods. A few posters have said that Soriano is coming back and they dont see the need for the trade. Realistically, the injury is one that can shelve Soriano longer then originally planned. I think the Cubs are just making sure they have insurance if this does happen. This is the second outfielder/leadoff they have tried to trade for since the injury, Shannon Stewart being the first.

I like Cedeno's potential. And if I had the choice to take Theriot, Fontenot, or Cedeno, I'd pick Cedeno. He's only 24, has a good glove and arm, and can really hit. Theriot and Fontenot...bah, they're both in their upper-20s. I don't see them getting much better, and as a matter of fact, I think they're both having career years.

bigfoot
08-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't know if this has already been discussed..

Maybe the Blue Peril is merely blocking the Brewers from reacquiring Pods, due to injury voids in their OF?

russ99
08-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I like Cedeno's potential. And if I had the choice to take Theriot, Fontenot, or Cedeno, I'd pick Cedeno. He's only 24, has a good glove and arm, and can really hit. Theriot and Fontenot...bah, they're both in their upper-20s. I don't see them getting much better, and as a matter of fact, I think they're both having career years.

Please no. I can't stand Ronny Cedeno. He's gotten so many chances to prove that he belongs on a major league roster and has failed miserably on every one. What part of his .244 major league or .274 minor league average makes you believe he can hit?? Dare I say, this would be like getting Mike Caruso all over again. The Cubs would be fools to deal Theriot, he's too good.

Unless Kenny can fleece a good prospect (or Theriot - ain't gonna happen) out of the Cubs, I'd say no deal.

As a Pods fan, I do realize its looking like Scott's time with the Sox is likely nearing the end, but the last thing I want to see is him doing well on the North side, and (god forbid) being in the playoffs with the Cubs. That would be a shot to the gut.

I don't think he's done as a solid lead-off guy and I have a feeling he's going to surprise a lot of his overly-critical Sox fan detractors with a good season on whichever club he's gets a fresh start on next season.

Biggest problem is, unless Kenny breaks the bank for an outfielder in FA, I really don't see who the Sox will have in LF/CF next season who can play as good as Pods at his potential. Unless Owens all of a sudden turns the corner, we won't have a leadoff guy either. Just another bunch of question marks, especially if Fields is at 3B due to Crede's possible release or likely continued injury problems.

oeo
08-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Please no. I can't stand Ronny Cedeno. He's gotten so many chances to prove that he belongs on a major league roster and has failed miserably on every one. What part of his .244 major league or .274 minor league average makes you believe he can hit?? Dare I say, this would be like getting Mike Caruso all over again. The Cubs would be fools to deal Theriot, he's too good.

So many chances? He's 24, and got a full season last year as a rookie (that's it). Over the past three years, he's hit well over .300 in AAA...something clicked. He needs the playing time...a .245 average as a rookie wasn't bad, and I'm sure he could have improved upon that. I'd certainly buy low on Cedeno.

Unless Kenny can fleece a good prospect (or Theriot - ain't gonna happen) out of the Cubs, I'd say no deal.Theriot? IMO, Cedeno has the higher ceiling (Theriot has probably already hit his ceiling). I'll pass on the 27-year-old that's having the year of his life (who BTW, has a .271 career minor league average).

rocky biddle
08-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't think he's done as a solid lead-off guy and I have a feeling he's going to surprise a lot of his overly-critical Sox fan detractors with a good season on whichever club he's gets a fresh start on next season.

Biggest problem is, unless Kenny breaks the bank for an outfielder in FA, I really don't see who the Sox will have in LF/CF next season who can play as good as Pods at his potential. Unless Owens all of a sudden turns the corner, we won't have a leadoff guy either. Just another bunch of question marks, especially if Fields is at 3B due to Crede's possible release or likely continued injury problems.

I find it interesting that you're confident that an oft-injured Pods will have a good season next year, yet you feel Joe Crede will continue to have injury problems after his surgery.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pods, but he'll be 32 next year. I'm afraid his potential is far greater to be injured, rather than to be an offensive catalyst.

soxtalker
08-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Unless Kenny can fleece a good prospect (or Theriot - ain't gonna happen) out of the Cubs, I'd say no deal.

As a Pods fan, I do realize its looking like Scott's time with the Sox is likely nearing the end, but the last thing I want to see is him doing well on the North side, and (god forbid) being in the playoffs with the Cubs. That would be a shot to the gut.

I don't share your horror of Pods being in the playoffs with the Cubs, though it seems to be shared by a number of our fellow Sox fans. It just wouldn't bother me that much.

But the other issue -- the possibility/desire to bring Pods back next year -- is also one of the common themes in this thread. I don't understand how trading him to the Cubs would affect that. His contract is up after this year. I think that he can be signed by anyone as soon as the season is over.

DumpJerry
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
The Riot and Fontenot are having career years. Like Cotts and Politte in '05.

esbrechtel
08-11-2007, 01:50 PM
The Riot and Fontenot are having career years. Like Cotts and Politte in '05.
You are exactly right! Wait until they come back down to earth...

russ99
08-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I find it interesting that you're confident that an oft-injured Pods will have a good season next year, yet you feel Joe Crede will continue to have injury problems after his surgery.

Crede has a chronic back problem that he had a stopgap surgery to make holes alleviate pain and fluid. There's absolutely no guarantee he'll be pain-free, and there's considerable concern that he'll have the same problems again with the daily strain of playing baseball next year. Add to that all the problems with Boras, especially the posturing he did announcing the "rehab" - there's a small chance the Sox might cut losses and non-tender him this offseason.

Pods has been injury prone, but his groin/hamstrings seem to be holding up and his previous rib injury was a freak occurance.

I know which player I'd rather take a chance on playing full-time next season...

Sargeant79
08-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I would not be opposed to getting Cedeno for Pods. Scottie's not in the plans beyond this year, and he is currently taking playing time away from guys that need a long look before the season ends (Owens, maybe Sweeney if he's healthy...I think he was reactived in the last day or two). I wouldn't be opposed to getting just about anything for him.

A question though...Is Cedeno on the Cubs 40-man roster? If he is, then I believe he needs to pass through waivers too before a deal could be worked out, right?

UserNameBlank
08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I can't believe there are people that would actually oppose a Pods for Cedeno deal. The two players we traded (Iguchi and Mack) are better players and were dumped for A ball pitchers. Trading someone who isn't even as valuable as those two and getting a player who would make our Major League roster right would be a terrific steal by KW.

Pods will hopefully and probably be non-tendered anyway, so if we could get the Cubs to assume the rest of his contract and give up a useful player we'd come out very well.

That said, I doubt the Cubs would deal Cedeno for Pods. They'd have to be smoking crack to give up anything more than a decent A ball prospect or some no-name AA reliever without much of a ceiling. I don't know who the Cubs have, but I'd bet an Oneli Perez type would get the deal done. If Cedeno was mentioned he would have to be the starting point and I would imagine the Sox would eventually bargain down to just about nothing.

Sweeney is back with Charlotte and should be playing with the Sox. IIRC next year is Ryan's last option year, so getting him some more AB's while we can without worrying about the standings is imperative IMO.

Domeshot17
08-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I am in the boat that says you keep Pods. He is a cheap a valubale lead off hitter, he should be leading off now. I don't get the Jerry Owens love, for as "RED HOT" as he has been since the all star break, hes hitting .255 with an OBP under .300. Pods had a bad July while he got healthy, but is off to a great start in August hitting over .300. Owens is fine as a fourth OF, but those who think he is the answer leading off and playing LF next year are going to long for Pods back.

And Ronny Cedeno????? are you kidding me??? He is worse then Cintron. Hes like a bad combination of Uribe's Average, Cintrons Power, an unaccurate arm, stone handed, fast but no clue how to steal a base and no clue really what to do on the base paths. He is terrible, and couldn't beat out ceaser izturis for a job.

Im all for replacing Uribe, ALL FOR IT, but to downgrade from Pods to Owens so we can downgrade from Uribe to Cedeno, makes ZERO sense.

DSpivack
08-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I would not be opposed to getting Cedeno for Pods. Scottie's not in the plans beyond this year, and he is currently taking playing time away from guys that need a long look before the season ends (Owens, maybe Sweeney if he's healthy...I think he was reactived in the last day or two). I wouldn't be opposed to getting just about anything for him.

A question though...Is Cedeno on the Cubs 40-man roster? If he is, then I believe he needs to pass through waivers too before a deal could be worked out, right?

He is, so I doubt it's Cedeno in return.

UserNameBlank
08-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I am in the boat that says you keep Pods. He is a cheap a valubale lead off hitter, he should be leading off now. I don't get the Jerry Owens love, for as "RED HOT" as he has been since the all star break, hes hitting .255 with an OBP under .300. Pods had a bad July while he got healthy, but is off to a great start in August hitting over .300. Owens is fine as a fourth OF, but those who think he is the answer leading off and playing LF next year are going to long for Pods back.

And Ronny Cedeno????? are you kidding me??? He is worse then Cintron. Hes like a bad combination of Uribe's Average, Cintrons Power, an unaccurate arm, stone handed, fast but no clue how to steal a base and no clue really what to do on the base paths. He is terrible, and couldn't beat out ceaser izturis for a job.

Im all for replacing Uribe, ALL FOR IT, but to downgrade from Pods to Owens so we can downgrade from Uribe to Cedeno, makes ZERO sense.
Pods = surgery. Pods = unreliable. How are the Sox going to improve if the keep relying on unreliable players?

On Owens, I haven't been impressed with him at the plate either, but he is at least a good enough 4th OF. He doesn't have an arm, but he can play CF and his speed is a bonus. He should be playing if for no other reason than to get used to facing Major League pitching.

Cedeno probably wouldn't replace Uribe, and as another poster astutely mentioned, he is on the Cubs 40-man so a deal would be unlikely anyway, as there are definitely NL teams that would claim him before he even got to us. But, even if by some miracle Cedeno did get to us and Hendry wanted to give away a player for virtually nothing, Cedeno at least adds some value. The more talent you have the easier it is to make a move. If nothing else Cedeno is a backup SS or trade bait.

On Izturis, I think his salary had a lot to do with who played every day. Caesar is also another example of poor Cubs decision making that calls for blocking young players with expensive mediocre veterans that become difficult to move.

jabrch
08-12-2007, 02:34 AM
I know odds are Pods won't be back on the south side next year, but I will be sick to my stomach if he's a cub. Kenny can say all he wants that the cubs are just another team he deals with, but his fan base knows better.

:jon

hey - are you forgetting the benefits of dealing with the Cubs?

I'd be thrilled to send them Pods for something that would help us in the future. Raise your hand if you miss Matt Karchner still?

RadioheadRocks
08-12-2007, 02:36 AM
:jon

hey - are you forgetting the benefits of dealing with the Cubs?

I'd be thrilled to send them Pods for something that would help us in the future. Raise your hand if you miss Matt Karchner still?

If the bulk of these trades panned out that way I'd agree, but for every Jon Garland there's a George Bell and a David Aardsma.

oeo
08-12-2007, 02:42 AM
If the bulk of these trades panned out that way I'd agree, but for every Jon Garland there's a George Bell and a David Aardsma.

David Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez for Neal Cotts. That's a good deal...

fozzy
08-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Cedeno probably wouldn't replace Uribe, and as another poster astutely mentioned, he is on the Cubs 40-man so a deal would be unlikely anyway, as there are definitely NL teams that would claim him before he even got to us. But, even if by some miracle Cedeno did get to us and Hendry wanted to give away a player for virtually nothing, Cedeno at least adds some value. The more talent you have the easier it is to make a move. If nothing else Cedeno is a backup SS or trade bait.

On Izturis, I think his salary had a lot to do with who played every day. Caesar is also another example of poor Cubs decision making that calls for blocking young players with expensive mediocre veterans that become difficult to move.

dear lord your gonna make me sound a cub fan but the trade for izturis was a good one. he was 1 year removed from hitting around .290 and winning a gold glove at 23. it didn't work out but all they traded for him was a 1/2 year rental for a player they weren't going to resign. sometimes you have to take those shots...I.E. konerko when we got him from the reds

cedeno vs uribe? at least cedeno is 23 and has some potential. it shows just how bad our farm system is that we don't have a prospect to play over him. i would take any major league ss over juan right now. now this is a stat that i was told so i don't know it as a fact but since on-base percentange has been calculated only 11 people have had a lower OB% then a Batting Average and juan is on pace for that.

fozzy
08-12-2007, 07:54 AM

dear lord your gonna make me sound a cub fan but the trade for izturis was a good one. he was 1 year removed from hitting around .290 and winning a gold glove at 23. it didn't work out but all they traded for him was a 1/2 year rental for a player they weren't going to resign. sometimes you have to take those shots...I.E. konerko when we got him from the reds

cedeno vs uribe? at least cedeno is 23 and has some potential. it shows just how bad our farm system is that we don't have a prospect to play over him. i would take any major league ss over juan right now. now this is a stat that i was told so i don't know it as a fact but since on-base percentange has been calculated only 11 people have had a lower OB% then a Batting Average and juan is on pace for that.

JohnTucker0814
08-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I don't know for sure if I'm correct, but a player does not have to clear waivers to be traded. The reason he has to clear waivers is to be eligible for the post season roster. We are not going to the post season, so it does not matter if Cedeno is on the 40 man roster. All you rules buff let me know if I'm correct. With my theory we could get Cedeno.

pierzynski07
08-12-2007, 09:34 AM
The waiver trading period is from August 1 until after the World Series. At that point, these waivers are no longer in effect.

Cedeno for Pods in November? Fat chance!

DSpivack
08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't know for sure if I'm correct, but a player does not have to clear waivers to be traded. The reason he has to clear waivers is to be eligible for the post season roster. We are not going to the post season, so it does not matter if Cedeno is on the 40 man roster. All you rules buff let me know if I'm correct. With my theory we could get Cedeno.

I thought that a player does have to clear waivers to be traded, that's the difference in trades before and after July 31. However, if he's not on the 40-man roster, then he doesn't have to clear waivers.

pierzynski07
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought that a player does have to clear waivers to be traded, that's the difference in trades before and after July 31. However, if he's not on the 40-man roster, then he doesn't have to clear waivers.
You all do realize that Cedeno is not only on the 40 man roster, but the active 25 man as well?

DSpivack
08-12-2007, 05:22 PM
You all do realize that Cedeno is not only on the 40 man roster, but the active 25 man as well?

I wasn't saying Cedeno would come here, I was clarifying his statement.

StillMissOzzie
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Here's my understanding, but I might be all wet too:
If a player CLEARS waivers than he can be traded to anyone. I guess they'd have to be traded for someone else who also cleared waivers, though.

If a player is CLAIMED on waivers, then the claiming team and the waiving team have an exclusive 2 or 3 day window to negotiate a trade. If a trade can't be agreed to, the waiving team can either withdraw the player from waivers **or** let the claiming team take the player, and their contract, for nothing (or perhaps there is a "claiming fee" involved?)

I have no idea where the 25 man active roster or 40 man roster comes into play here.

SMO

southside rocks
08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
The Daily Southtown's beat writer talks about this and about the waiver process in his blog post:
http://blogs.dailysouthtown.com/whalen/2007/08/podsednik_to_the_cubs_and_a_br.html

He thinks a deal will get done. Interesting; the Sun-Times said the opposite.

DSpivack
08-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Here's my understanding, but I might be all wet too:
If a player CLEARS waivers than he can be traded to anyone. I guess they'd have to be traded for someone else who also cleared waivers, though.

If a player is CLAIMED on waivers, then the claiming team and the waiving team have an exclusive 2 or 3 day window to negotiate a trade. If a trade can't be agreed to, the waiving team can either withdraw the player from waivers **or** let the claiming team take the player, and their contract, for nothing (or perhaps there is a "claiming fee" involved?)

I have no idea where the 25 man active roster or 40 man roster comes into play here.

SMO

As far as I know, a player in the minors who is on the 40-man (as is Ronny Cedeno) would have to clear waivers in order for a trade to go through. A minor leaguer who is not on the 40-man would not be subject to waivers.

jabrch
08-12-2007, 10:32 PM

When trading for George Bell, we had no way to know Sosa would do Roids.

And the Aardsma deal - not sure how that was bad. Cotts is in AAA somewhere. So is Aardsma, but we got Vasquez also - who looks ok.

You make your best deal possible with whomever will give it to you. If it is the Cubs, then so be it.

Tragg
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
When trading for George Bell, we had no way to know Sosa would do Roids.

Sosa also got better once he left that Hrniak philosophy of hitting - it didn't work for him (it sure worked for Frank though).
I think he would have been a pretty good hitter had he stayed clean. His 60+ and 600 homers, of course, are something else. I'm thinking he would have been Jock Jones with a touch more power.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Bell actually had a very productive two seasons with the Sox. In 92 he led the team with 112 RBI's, not Frank... and considering he missed a portion of the 93 season with a thigh injury if memory serves, his numbers of 13 and 64 in 102 games isn't bad either.

George's issue was that he didn't get along with Lamont and that came to a head during the LCS. Of course the more I talk to players the more sense I get that not a lot of guys really liked Gene, they tolerated him.

So at the time considering that Sammy had all the talent in the world but seemed to be 'backsliding' from his breakout 1990 campaign, it wasn't that bad of a deal.

Sosa in 1990 was the only player in MLB to have double figures in doubles, triples, home runs, stolen bases and outfield assists.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
08-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Sosa also got better once he left that Hrniak philosophy of hitting - it didn't work for him.Why is it that I suspect he simply didn't have the discipline to apply it?

Lip Man 1
08-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Nellie:

I think it was more then that. Sosa in his autobiography rips Walt to shreads. The two simply did not get along much like Cory Snyder's situation with him and some others.

Lip

upperdeckusc
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
back to the topic, is today the last day for the sox/cubs to work out a deal for pods??

munchman33
08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
back to the topic, is today the last day for the sox/cubs to work out a deal for pods??

Yes.

CHIsoxNation
08-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes.

There was an update on the Score this morning that mentioned that the two teams couldn't come to an agreement and that it looked like Pods wasn't going anywhere.

upperdeckusc
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
i'd imagine that pods isnt going to be in our plans next yr. so with that in mind, i dunno why we wouldnt just give him to the cubs and get a minor leaguer in return for him (A-AA or so). unless we plan on signing pods to be our 4th OF/platoon for next yr at about 1 million. That's about the only situation i'd be ok with for him coming back next yr. best case scenario we sign him cheap, he's healthy all yr, and is effective. worst case scenario, he's injured about 33% of the time, and gets playing time here and there.

soxtalker
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
i'd imagine that pods isnt going to be in our plans next yr. so with that in mind, i dunno why we wouldnt just give him to the cubs and get a minor leaguer in return for him (A-AA or so). unless we plan on signing pods to be our 4th OF/platoon for next yr at about 1 million. That's about the only situation i'd be ok with for him coming back next yr. best case scenario we sign him cheap, he's healthy all yr, and is effective. worst case scenario, he's injured about 33% of the time, and gets playing time here and there.

It may have been that the Cubs just didn't want to give up anyone at A level. But I don't even understand why KW didn't just let them have Pods as a salary dump - $1MM is a nice savings. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think that it would have prevented us from signing him next year.

jabrch
08-13-2007, 01:57 PM
It may have been that the Cubs just didn't want to give up anyone at A level. But I don't even understand why KW didn't just let them have Pods as a salary dump - $1MM is a nice savings. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think that it would have prevented us from signing him next year.

Because there is absolutely no reason to help them for nothing.

eriqjaffe
08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Because there is absolutely no reason to help them for nothing.What if they had wanted to shore up their rotation by claiming Contreras?

soxtalker
08-13-2007, 02:04 PM

It isn't for "nothing". The Sox would be saving $1MM.

cws05champ
08-13-2007, 02:22 PM
It isn't for "nothing". The Sox would be saving $1MM.

Why is everyone here playing Sox accountants? I don't think that $1MM in the grand scheme is going to hurt or help them on the future acquisitions they may make in the offseason. In fact, if they do just let Pods go in a salary dump, and the Cubs do advance far into the playoffs, it may hurt them in next years revenue more than just the $1MM. We have all seen the bandwagoners and fence riders pay their money to the team that is winning.

JB98
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

The White Sox compete with the Cubs for fans and entertainment dollars in this city. If the Cubs make the playoffs, and God forbid, advance to the World Series, it will be bad for the White Sox. We'll be back to "second-class" status in the city. Why give the Cubs a player to help them in their quest?

Pods isn't going to bring anything substantial in return. The only thing the Sox would gain by dumping him is minimal salary relief. Pods isn't *that* costly. A Cubs pennant would be far more costly to the White Sox long-term bottom line.

Here's the thing: The Cubs are our crosstown rivals. They are struggling. If they're going to solve their problems, they can forget about counting on any help from the Sox.

I would have been very surprised to see Pods traded to the Cubs.

Tragg
08-13-2007, 05:28 PM
We took A ball pitchers from Diego and the Phils, but I wouldn't take that from the Cubs. Give us a real ballplayer if you want him. Plus, Podsednik is a better ballplayer than at least Mackoviak.

The Sox will get dogged in the press, it will hurt attendance, it will put Erstad in the lineup every day (and give me a heart attack)...no reason to do it unless the Sox get tangible help in return.

upperdeckusc
08-13-2007, 05:50 PM
The White Sox compete with the Cubs for fans and entertainment dollars in this city. If the Cubs make the playoffs, and God forbid, advance to the World Series, it will be bad for the White Sox. We'll be back to "second-class" status in the city. Why give the Cubs a player to help them in their quest?

Pods isn't going to bring anything substantial in return. The only thing the Sox would gain by dumping him is minimal salary relief. Pods isn't *that* costly. A Cubs pennant would be far more costly to the White Sox long-term bottom line.

Here's the thing: The Cubs are our crosstown rivals. They are struggling. If they're going to solve their problems, they can forget about counting on any help from the Sox.

I would have been very surprised to see Pods traded to the Cubs.

if the cubs make it to the playoffs/world series and pods is on the team, im fairly confident he wont be the boost they needed to get to that point. he will be on the team, but they would have probably gotten there with or without him. we can free salary, open up a spot for sweeney, and get a minor league/some player in return that we'll probably have in control for awhile. then when he pulls his groin pinch running and stealing 2nd, we'll come out WAY ahead.

JB98
08-13-2007, 05:57 PM
if the cubs make it to the playoffs/world series and pods is on the team, im fairly confident he wont be the boost they needed to get to that point. he will be on the team, but they would have probably gotten there with or without him. we can free salary, open up a spot for sweeney, and get a minor league/some player in return that we'll probably have in control for awhile. then when he pulls his groin pinch running and stealing 2nd, we'll come out WAY ahead.

As I said, Pods' salary is so miniscule that it doesn't make a lick of difference. Further, rosters expand in two weeks, so there is no urgency to open a spot for Sweeney. Ryan just came off the DL, and he could use the next couple weeks in Charlotte to get his stroke back before he gets another shot with the big club.

You might be confident that Pods wouldn't be the boost the Cubs need, but you never know. And if we're not getting **** in return, there's no point in making the move.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm amazed over and over again at how many of you would be willing to just give away major league players. You don't like Pods, so "what the hell, just give him to the Cubs for absolutely nothing in return." Whether you believe it or not, he has some value.

ChiSoxGirl
08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm amazed over and over again at how many of you would be willing to just give away major league players. You don't like Pods, so "what the hell, just give him to the Cubs for absolutely nothing in return." Whether you believe it or not, he has some value.

Finally... a voice of reason!

And for the record, I'm pretty glad a deal never came to fruition because I just have this feeling that we would've gotten hosed.

FarWestChicago
08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm amazed over and over again at how many of you would be willing to just give away major league players. You don't like Pods, so "what the hell, just give him to the Cubs for absolutely nothing in return." Whether you believe it or not, he has some value.But Nellie, then they can complain about KW being a moron after the trade. It's the best of both worlds. :redneck

Brian26
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM

It's always easy to spend money when it's not yours (sign ARod). It's even easier to give away players when you don't own the team (DFA Crede!)

Brian26
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Finally... a voice of reason!

And for the record, I'm pretty glad a deal never came to fruition because I just have this feeling that we would've gotten hosed.

I don't think KW would ever get hosed by Hendry.

There seems to be an unwritten rule to this day that the Sox don't help the Cubs, and vice versa, down the stretch. I can't think of an example that contradicts this, and that includes the Karchner for Garland trade (we got too much back).

santo=dorf
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Bell actually had a very productive two seasons with the Sox. In 92 he led the team with 112 RBI's, not Frank... and considering he missed a portion of the 93 season with a thigh injury if memory serves, his numbers of 13 and 64 in 102 games isn't bad either.
Lip
Bell had a .294 OBP and a .418 SLG in 1992.

I don't miss Sosa, as it is very possible that if the Sox hold on to Sosa, Magglio never gets a fair chance. Schueler left him unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, and Ozzie claims he was the one who pushed for Maggs to get some playing time.