PDA

View Full Version : Selig hints to Bonds..enjoy it while you can

Fenway
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
there is a shot right across the bow

While the issues which have swirled around this record will continue to work themselves toward resolution, today is a day for congratulations on a truly remarkable achievement."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070808&content_id=2136636&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

TheOldRoman
08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
He isn't hinting at that. Translation: "We will continue to throw money into a fire with our half-hearted internal investigation, fully knowing we will get no results. But in the end, we are hoping the fans will eventually forget."

eastchicagosoxfan
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Why the comminsioner didn't ban him, and others involved with steriods for the good of the game is beyond me. Had Selig taken that stance on that issue alone, and been his wishy-washy self with everything else, he could have avoided this moment.

IlliniSox4Life
08-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Why the comminsioner didn't ban him, and others involved with steriods for the good of the game is beyond me. Had Selig taken that stance on that issue alone, and been his wishy-washy self with everything else, he could have avoided this moment.

The only actual proof that Bonds took any Steroids is his admission under a sealed grand jury testimony. Everybody knows what he said because it was leaked, but it is still sealed. If Selig were to ban him, he would have a huge lawsuit on his hands.

TornLabrum
08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
The only actual proof that Bonds took any Steroids is his admission under a sealed grand jury testimony. Everybody knows what he said because it was leaked, but it is still sealed. If Selig were to ban him, he would have a huge lawsuit on his hands.

Not only that, but all drug/alcohol, etc. issues are part of the CBA, which means that Selig can't act unilaterally. That's why Steve Howe got so many chances.

jabrch
08-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Selig was complicit with everything that went on for all these years. It is ridiculous for him to moralize now. He's a real putz.

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Selig was complicit with everything that went on for all these years. It is ridiculous for him to moralize now. He's a real putz.That's easy (and extremely popular) to say. First of all, the union was, and is, much more complicit. They have protected and continue to protect these guys.

Secondly, how do you know what Bud knew? One of the only intelligent things I've ever heard Skip Bayless say is "I was in locker rooms a lot more than Bud Selig, and I didn't realize what was going on." All of these reporters who are pointing the finger at Selig now, where were they then? Where were their investigative reports?

jabrch
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM
That's easy (and extremely popular) to say. First of all, the union was, and is, much more complicit. They have protected and continue to protect these guys.

Secondly, how do you know what Bud knew? One of the only intelligent things I've ever heard Skip Bayless say is "I was in locker rooms a lot more than Bud Selig, and I didn't realize what was going on." All of these reporters who are pointing the finger at Selig now, where were they then? Where were their investigative reports?

Of course the union is also complicit - but their job is to protect the players. That is something they are required to do. I would expect it from them. I don't fault the union for not ratting out players if management isn't forcing it on them.

Of course we don't know what Bud knew, but his potential ignorance is no more an excuse. If he didn't know, it wasn't because he tried his hardest and couldn't figure it out. Bud's job is to look at the game and see what problems/risks it has, on a regular basis. There is no way he couldn't have figured out that someone, somewhere, was doing PEDs a long time ago and that this was a risk. To what degree he "knew" doesn't forgive him for his lack of effort to know more and to do more about it.

There are others to blame as well - but Selig himself is a royal flaming hypocrit to only express this concern now, with all the ifnortmaiton he has had over time.

Fenway
08-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Selig isn't alone in this

It was obvious by 1988 that steriods were being used in MLB. At a playoff game at Fenway 34,000 fans chanted S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S at Jose.

The blame starts with Peter Ueberroth then Fay Vincent.

I believe Bart Giamatti would have done something but the stress from the Pete Rose mess killed him.

FedEx227
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Selig isn't alone in this

It was obvious by 1988 that steriods were being used in MLB. At a playoff game at Fenway 34,000 fans chanted S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S at Jose.

The blame starts with Peter Ueberroth then Fay Vincent.

I believe Bart Giamatti would have done something but the stree from the Pete Rose mess killed him.

Thank you, I'm no Bud apologist, but there were 3 baseball commissioners before him that completely turned their back to steroids and greenies.

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Of course the union is also complicit - but their job is to protect the players. That is something they are required to do. I would expect it from them. I don't fault the union for not ratting out players if management isn't forcing it on them.My point wasn't that the union should "rat out" players, but they were fighting any and all testing until Congress made it clear that they had better agree to something or have it imposed by law. Even then they gave in grudgingly, and still won't allow blood testing, the only way to catch HGH. The union is equally responsible for protecting the players who DON'T do steroids, whose jobs are threatened by those who are cheating.

FarWestChicago
08-11-2007, 09:27 AM
My point wasn't that the union should "rat out" players, but they were fighting any and all testing until Congress made it clear that they had better agree to something or have it imposed by law. Even then they gave in grudgingly, and still won't allow blood testing, the only way to catch HGH. The union is equally responsible for protecting the players who DON'T do steroids, whose jobs are threatened by those who are cheating.One could argue that the union should have had an obligation to protect the health of the members. That was one of the original, and long lost, functions of unions. The union should have been screaming for serious testing from the beginning if they weren't total scumbags. In that respect, the union is the biggest culprit, other than the cheaters themselves, in this whole mess.

HerzogVon
08-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Fenway writes...
>>The blame starts with Peter Ueberroth then Fay Vincent.

I believe Bart Giamatti would have done something but the stress from the Pete Rose mess killed him.<<

Excellent point. Selig may well be the worst yet, but he's just the third in a line of weasels that have occupied that chair. ( Giamatti being the exception. ) Despite Selig's running impersonation of a stressed out Jerry Lewis, Ms. Vincent would give him a real tussle on the Repulse-O-Meter.