PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News unloads on Bonds

Fenway
08-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow :smile:

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/08/08/alg_frontback08_08.jpg

A jury decides Bond's fate.

The jury?
Ty Cobb, Curt Flood, A. Bartlett Giamatti, Archibald (Moonlight) Graham, Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Jackie Robinson, Grantland Rice, BILL VEECK, Ted Williams

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/08/08/2007-08-08_the_crime_of_the_century.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/08/08/2007-08-08_the_crime_of_the_century.html)

SOXPHILE
08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Just wondering, like the strange lack of any mention of steroids /HGH by the Chicago Tribune, and other local media outlets while one Sam Sosa was a member of the Cubs, and yet now are self righteously "tsk tsk'" ing Barry Bonds, did these New York papers have anything to say about Jason Giambi as he helped the Yankees make 5 straight playoff and 1 World Series appearance since his time there ?

kitekrazy
08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Just wondering, like the strange lack of any mention of steroids /HGH by the Chicago Tribune, and other local media outlets while one Sam Sosa was a member of the Cubs, and yet now are self righteously "tsk tsk'" ing Barry Bonds, did these New York papers have anything to say about Jason Giambi as he helped the Yankees make 5 straight playoff and 1 World Series appearance since his time there ?

Even if one can't legally prove Sosa was on roids, the corked bat says a lot.

Fenway
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM

NY papers have been hard on Giambi

spawn
08-08-2007, 12:24 PM
As much as I hate Bonds having the record, MLB and the media are painting him as the only person to ever use. I find it quite interesting that the pitcher who served up #755 wa himself suspended for testing positive. No one seemed to give a damn when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the single season record. It was a big party. Now, Bonds is the pariah. I know it's because he broke baseball's most hallowed record, but this is ridiculous.

Fenway
08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
This book changed everything

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Juiced-JoseCanseco.jpg/140px-Juiced-JoseCanseco.jpg

eriqjaffe
08-08-2007, 12:32 PM
This book changed everything

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Juiced-JoseCanseco.jpg/140px-Juiced-JoseCanseco.jpgIf Canseco's head hadn't grown due to 'roids, that ball might not have bounced off of it for a home run!

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
If Canseco's head hadn't grown due to 'roids, that ball might not have bounced off of it for a home run!

:rolling:

voodoochile
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
As much as I hate Bonds having the record, MLB and the media are painting him as the only person to ever use. I find it quite interesting that the pitcher who served up #755 wa himself suspended for testing positive. No one seemed to give a damn when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the single season record. It was a big party. Now, Bonds is the pariah. I know it's because he broke baseball's most hallowed record, but this is ridiculous.

No, it's not entirely because of the record he broke, it's partly because he's a total *******. It's also because he didn't need to cheat to be a great player and his cheating is all the worse because of that fact. Finally it's because he lied when confronted with his own cheating and claimed he didn't know he was cheating.

Compared to the shoulders of the players he is standing on, Bonds is a complete waste of oxygen. Here's hoping he gets indicted, then has to wait until the final ballot or even the veterans committee to make the HOF.

spawn
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
No, it's not entirely because of the record he broke, it's partly because he's a total *******. It's also because he didn't need to cheat to be a great player and his cheating is all the worse because of that fact. Finally it's because he lied when confronted with his own cheating and claimed he didn't know he was cheating.

Compared to the shoulders of the players he is standing on, Bonds is a complete waste of oxygen. Here's hoping he gets indicted, then has to wait until the final ballot or even the veterans committee to make the HOF.
I don't deny anything you have said here. My problem is MLB is full of hypocrites. Bonds has indeed done himself no favors by how he has carried himself throughout his career. But he's not the only one with a cloud of suspicion hanging over him. Major League Baseball fed the beast to bring back fans after the strike. They looked the other way McGwire and Sosa were going after Maris' record. Everyone knew what was going on, but no one wanted to do anything about it. They are reaping what the sow IMHO.

soxinem1
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I just loved Bud Selig's reaction when Barroid tied the record. He looked like he'd rather be having his legs amputated:

http://www.profbob.com/images/Bud%20Selig%202.jpg

'God I hope he doesn't break it while I'm here. I need an excuse, big time'

kitekrazy
08-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't deny anything you have said here. My problem is MLB is full of hypocrites. Bonds has indeed done himself no favors by how he has carried himself throughout his career. But he's not the only one with a cloud of suspicion hanging over him. Major League Baseball fed the beast to bring back fans after the strike. They looked the other way McGwire and Sosa were going after Maris' record. Everyone knew what was going on, but no one wanted to do anything about it. They are reaping what the sow IMHO.

They aren't reaping anything except money. Don't be surprised it there are no consequences. DO you think there will be anyone with enough integrity to keep people like Bonds out of the HOF? Don't bet on it.

I think it's a testament to a majority of America. We have no guilt if our methods of accomplishment are not genuine. Just walk into any classroom and most kids would rather cheat on a test. You even see it in kiddie sports when the parents lie about their kid's age in Little League.

Hell, just look at the Cubune. They are Bonds apologists.

Mariotti wrote a good one. Surprised?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/501533,mariotti080707.article

voodoochile
08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Oh, no doubt. Bud is the master carney, the ringmaster of this three ring circus. I blame him as much as anyone especially in light of the stuff that came out back in the early 90's when the FBI was warning MLB they were headed toward a major problem.

:tool
"Chicks dig the long ball."

voodoochile
08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
They aren't reaping anything except money. Don't be surprised it there are no consequences. DO you think there will be anyone with enough integrity to keep people like Bonds out of the HOF? Don't bet on it.

I think it's a testament to a majority of America. We have no guilt if our methods of accomplishment are not genuine. Just walk into any classroom and most kids would rather cheat on a test. You even see it in kiddie sports when the parents lie about their kid's age in Little League.

Hell, just look at the Cubune. They are Bonds apologists.

Mariotti wrote a good one. Surprised?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/501533,mariotti080707.article

It goes even deeper than that with kids signing their budding basketball star children up for growth hormone so they will become taller than average and get the scholorships/money. After all, a 6'1" PG with a solid jumpshot is a potential college star. Give that same kid some growth hormone early in HS and all of a sudden he is 6'6" with the same jumpshot and now he's an NBA all-star in the making. Money talks nothing else even matters...

TDog
08-08-2007, 07:10 PM
... DO you think there will be anyone with enough integrity to keep people like Bonds out of the HOF? Don't bet on it. ...

Baseball has enough integrity to keep Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame. I'm guessing that most people here would say Rose is more justified, as the all-time hits leader, to be a member than Barry Bonds, the all-time home runs leader. Perhaps. I still don't believe Rose belongs, though.

The BBWAA showed enough integrity to show little interest in Mark McGwire in the last vote. I think many members will show little enthusiasm for Bonds.

I have too much integrity to bet on anything. But speaking hypothetically, my answer to your question would be yes.

bigfoot
08-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Baseball has enough integrity to keep Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame. I'm guessing that most people here would say Rose is more justified, as the all-time hits leader, to be a member than Barry Bonds, the all-time home runs leader. Perhaps. I still don't believe Rose belongs, though.

The BBWAA showed enough integrity to show little interest in Mark McGwire in the last vote. I think many members will show little enthusiasm for Bonds.

I have too much integrity to bet on anything. But speaking hypothetically, my answer to your question would be yes.

Baseball had enough integrity.....but then Bart Giamatti passed away leaving a void filled by a used car salesman. The rest, as they say, is history. :rolleyes:

TDog
08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Baseball had enough integrity.....but then Bart Giamatti passed away leaving a void filled by a used car salesman. The rest, as they say, is history. :rolleyes:

And yet Pete Rose remains not in the Hall of Fame.

voodoochile
08-08-2007, 08:14 PM
And yet Pete Rose remains not in the Hall of Fame.

Yeah, but Pete broke a rule that was actually on the books at the time he broke it. Selig would have to go through the MLBPA to get Bonds and if you think the union is going to roll over and play dead you're nuts.

They'd fight tooth and nail to prevent someone from getting punished for breaking a rule that was put on the books after the offense occurred and well they should (strictly from a bargaining position).

Selig's hands are to some extent tied unless he catches Barroid currently in violation of the rule. Hopefully the feds nail him and then the BBWA stand tall because baseball can't do much about the current situation.

See what happens when you allow the cheaters to go unchecked, Bud? Yeah, sure it was all fun and games back in 1998 now look what's happened under your jurisdiction. Bud's smilie shortcut says it all...

"I'm a what?"

You're a tool, Bud...

Chicago
08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
New York Post Cover
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr_archive.asp?fpVname=NY_NYP&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=5

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2007, 01:01 AM
And yet Pete Rose remains not in the Hall of Fame.Pete Rose remains right where he belongs. The final chapter on Bonds is yet to be written.

chaerulez
08-11-2007, 05:00 AM
The New York media has always been hard on steroid users, which I'm glad. A lot of media around this country seems to give Barroid a free pass for some reason.

HerzogVon
08-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Quote from Voodoochile:
>>No, it's not entirely because of the record he broke, it's partly because he's a total *******. <<

And Samula's NOT?!

As for Buddy Boy "Oy, the pain!" Selig; the Old Man knew him from the business world - this was many years ago - and derisively referred to him as "the village idiot". Nothing has changed there.

bigfoot
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh, no doubt. Bud is the master carney, the ringmaster of this three ring circus. I blame him as much as anyone especially in light of the stuff that came out back in the early 90's when the FBI was warning MLB they were headed toward a major problem.

"Chicks dig the long ball."

Maybe Bud was meeting with Mitchell(during the record setting) to discuss how Bud was going to deal with HIS impending indictment?

Put the teal on this one, however.....:bandance:

TheVulture
08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Quote from Voodoochile:
>>No, it's not entirely because of the record he broke, it's partly because he's a total *******. <<

And Samula's NOT?!

What are you talking about? Just about anyone who follows baseball would put Shammy on the Mt. Rushmore of steroid-users. Bonds-McGwire-Sosa, then there'd probably have to be some discussion: Giambi or Palmeiro? I'd lean towards Raffy, but it'd be open to debate.

TDog
08-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Pete Rose remains right where he belongs. The final chapter on Bonds is yet to be written.

You're right, but it's not going to get any better for Barry Bonds.

Pete Rose doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame, and he isn't there despite breaking the record of the highest vote-getter on the inaugural Hall of Fame ballot. I believe enough writers will not vote for Bonds to be in the Hall of Fame despite breaking a record of a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, who himself broke the record of an inaugural ballot Hall-of-Famer.

The way writers are treating Bonds' achievement, I think it would be a stretch to say that nothing will keep the writers from putting Bonds in the Hall of Fame.