PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Henry Aaron

Fenway
08-08-2007, 07:58 AM
For 33 years you were our Home Run King and you became the best ambassador the game has ever had. Your surprise video tribute only reaffirms your class. Barry can't steal that from you. Thank You Henry Aaron.

mwc44
08-08-2007, 08:23 AM
For 33 years you were our Home Run King and you became the best ambassador the game has ever had. Your surprise video tribute only reaffirms your class. Barry can't steal that from you. Thank You Henry Aaron.

The "44" in my screen name isn't there "just because;" it always has been and always will be my small tribute to one of the greatest and classiest men to ever play MLB.

As always, my trivia friend Fenway said it perfectly...

THANK YOU, HENRY AARON!

CRAW
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Well said guys. :smile:

Fenway
08-08-2007, 09:55 AM
akTBKaV9MOw

SOXPHILE
08-08-2007, 11:30 AM
He's a class act, but I still wish he hadn't made that video. Dissapointed in Joe Montana, Gretzky, and MJeff for appearing in congratulatory videos the night before too.

I would really like to see a famous, prominant athlete, whether he's retired or not, in one of the 4 sports (especially baseball), come out and call Barry exactly what he is. But unfortunately, it's not going to happen. Can't violate the whole "fraternity" thing. Some have said something, but it seems like it's always a retired, mediocre player who nobody really thinks twice about. Instead, we get people like Charles Barkley defending him.

Fenway
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I would really like to see a famous, prominant athlete, whether he's retired or not, in one of the 4 sports (especially baseball), come out and call Barry exactly what he is. But unfortunately, it's not going to happen. Can't violate the whole "fraternity" thing. Some have said something, but it seems like it's always a retired, mediocre player who nobody really thinks twice about. Instead, we get people like Charles Barkley defending him.

Curt Schilling did

kitekrazy
08-08-2007, 11:52 AM
He's a class act, but I still wish he hadn't made that video. Dissapointed in Joe Montana, Gretzky, and MJeff for appearing in congratulatory videos the night before too.

I do believe Ryne Sandberg did. Jose Conseco's book brought more attention.

SOXPHILE
08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I do believe Ryne Sandberg did. Jose Conseco's book brought more attention.

Are you referring to his HOF speech ? Because if I recall correctly, he just said something about how he did things the right way, and left it at that. Ambiguous, but we all knew what he meant. But he didn't mention anyone by name, and I would very much like to see that. Conseco, to me, just comes across as a guy doing it to make a buck, no sincerity at all.

Fenway: Has Schilling ever actually outright said anything to the affect that Barry Bonds, along with Sosa, McGwire, and others, have obviously used copious amounts of steroids, HGH, and other performing enhancing drugs ? If so, I stand corrected. I just thought he came across as a bloviating, self righteous grandstander before congress, on 3/17/05, and didn't really say or add anything of importance.

Fenway
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Curt Schilling placed the focus squarely on himself yesterday when the Red Sox pitcher unleashed on Barry Bonds in a radio interview on WEEI in Boston, saying about the Giants slugger: "He admitted he used steroids. There's no gray area. He admitted cheating on his wife, cheating on taxes and cheating on the game."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/05/09/2007-05-09_schilling_blasts_bonds_over_roids-2.html

Are you referring to his HOF speech ? Because if I recall correctly, he just said something about how he did things the right way, and left it at that. Ambiguous, but we all knew what he meant. But he didn't mention anyone by name, and I would very much like to see that. Conseco, to me, just comes across as a guy doing it to make a buck, no sincerity at all.

Fenway: Has Schilling ever actually outright said anything to the affect that Barry Bonds, along with Sosa, McGwire, and others, have obviously used copious amounts of steroids, HGH, and other performing enhancing drugs ? If so, I stand corrected. I just thought he came across as a bloviating, self righteous grandstander before congress, on 3/17/05, and didn't really say or add anything of importance.

russ99
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
One thing many people fail to mention is that Aaron set his record against a league with 16-22 teams, and not the bloated 30 that there is today along with much worse pitching overall.

Even if Bonds' record is not tainted by use of performance enhancers (not likely, IMO), he still had a certainly easier path to the mark than Aaron, especially considering all racism and death threats that Hammerin' Hank had to deal with.

SOXPHILE
08-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Curt Schilling placed the focus squarely on himself yesterday when the Red Sox pitcher unleashed on Barry Bonds in a radio interview on WEEI in Boston, saying about the Giants slugger: "He admitted he used steroids. There's no gray area. He admitted cheating on his wife, cheating on taxes and cheating on the game."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...r_roids-2.html

O.K. Good. I'm glad that he said that. He is a self righteous blow-hole, but I gotta give credit to him where it's due here. Good for him.

DrewSox56
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM

2-Time NL MVP Dale Murphy did.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6565026 (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6565026)

TheVulture
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Saw Tom Seaver a couple weeks ago really going off on the Bonds/steroids situation, basically saying Selig's been gutless for not doing anything about it and that Selig/Bonds have ruined major league baseball. Can't find it on the ol' interweb though, but he really wasn't holding back.

DSpivack
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I should go out to the site in front of Turner Field and perform some sort of vigil.

HomeFish
08-08-2007, 02:21 PM
he still had a certainly easier path to the mark than Aaron, especially considering all racism and death threats that Hammerin' Hank had to deal with.

I've heard that at one point, Aaron actually slept in the stadium due to the number of death threats.

soxinem1
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
2-Time NL MVP Dale Murphy did.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6565026 (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6565026)

Dale lit into him better than Schilling.

RCWHITESOX
08-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Dale lit into him better than Schilling.

Lets face it this is the era of cheaters baseball,football,basketball , and etc. Ruth won it downing beers Aaron won it with total class in his era to the best of my knowledge, and Bonds won it sticking a needle in his ass; forever know as the steroids era.

TheVulture
08-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Ruth won it downing beers...

Ruth was downing more than just beer...and Aaron has admitted in his book to using greenies on occasion. Also, Aaron's teammate, Tom House, testified before Congress that steroids were rampant in the late '60s and '70s, and in the Brave's clubhouse, players were using steroids, amphetamines, and HGH. Aaron, like Bonds, had a strange boost in homerun totals in his late 30s. The same year Congress investigated steroid use in baseball, 1973, he hit 40 HRs in 392 ABs, where earlier in his career he averaged a homerun every 15 or so ABs. At age 37, he set a career high in slugging % at .669, though from ages 29-34, he didn't top .586 and dipped as low as .498. His previous high of .636 was set at age 25, when he averaged a homerun every 16.2 ABs, compared to every 9.8 ABs at age 40. In fact, from '71-73, from ages 38-40, he averaged a homerun every 11.0 ABs, while from ages 25-32, he averaged one per 15.9.

Here's what Rep. Henry Waxman said during the 2005 Congressional Investigation:

"In 1973, the year I first ran for Congress, the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce concluded a year-long investigation that found--and I quote--"drug use exists...in all sports and levels of competition...In some instances, the danger of improper drug use--primarily amphetamines and anabolic steroids--can only be described as alarming".

Just food for thought. Steroids were in use dating back to at least the '60s. Amphetamines back to late 40s/early 50s and cocaine was still available as a prescription drug through the 1920s.

getonbckthr
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Hank there is no shame in being passed by the best baseball player ever.

RCWHITESOX
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM

How can you justify calling him the best player ever? Maybe the best in his era but definitely not the best overall.

getonbckthr
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
How can you justify calling him the best player ever? Maybe the best in his era but definitely not the best overall.
756 hrs, 514 SBs, 2000 RBI's, 2500 BB's, .298 career average .444 OBP .607 slug, 600 2B, 14 time All Star, 7 time MVP, 8 GG's, 2 time batting champ, 2200 runs scored, should finish with 3000 hits,
I think I justified my claim.

FarWestChicago
08-08-2007, 10:04 PM
756 hrs, 514 SBs, 2000 RBI's, 2500 BB's, .298 career average .444 OBP .607 slug, 600 2B, 14 time All Star, 7 time MVP, 8 GG's, 2 time batting champ, 2200 runs scored, should finish with 3000 hits,
I think I justified my claim.You justified nothing but your complete and total lack of credibility. You love 'roids. Good for you. Take a hike...

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
One could argue Frank Thomas being better than him in his own era. Frank's had stellar career numbers without the assistance of performance enhancing drugs. I have no respect for Bonds whatsoever.

Hank Aaron will still be the HR king in my book. What a class act.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-09-2007, 03:52 AM
One of my favorite baseball moments in my life was talking to Mr. Aaron for 15 mins alone, inside of Miller Park 3 years ago. He is still loved in Milwaukee and always will be. Total class act.

Grzegorz
08-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Ruth won it downing beers Aaron won it with total class in his era to the best of my knowledge

How is a hangover an advantage when trying to hit a baseball? Better yet, if one assumes the Babe was drinking before the game how is alcohol a catalyst in making contact with a pitched ball?

Hank Aaron will still be the HR king in my book. What a class act.

I second that...

Wsoxmike59
08-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Dale Murphy: "[Bonds] would have become one of the great ones, anyway. Now, he sucked the fun and the life right out of it. There is enough evidence to me to say without a doubt that he used performance-enhancing drugs. He hit 73 home runs when he was 37. Hank would have hit 855 if he had the same advantage.
"Barry's a great player, but he put an asterisk by his name on his own. He's deserved all the negative publicity that he's getting. People have been complaining that he's being treated unfairly. Life isn't usually like that. You don't just get treated unfairly. You usually get what you deserve.
"This is what Barry deserves. He's a hard guy to like. He's a hard teammate to have. He's set a terrible example for our kids.
"That's what you say to your kids. You say, 'This is what happens when you take steroids. Your dad doesn't want to watch this, because it's drug abuse.'

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/94393263_1d20dc8ce9_o.gif

RCWHITESOX
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
How is a hangover an advantage when trying to hit a baseball? Better yet, if one assumes the Babe was drinking before the game how is alcohol a catalyst in making contact with a pitched ball?

I second that...

I agree. What I was trying to say in a lighthearted way was that Ruth didn't have any performance enhancing drugs or creams to inflate his numbers. Also with Ruth and Aaron they played in pitching era's while Bonds played in a juiced ball era's his numbers would have to be inflated.

ode to veeck
08-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Give me a ****ing break

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2007, 06:19 PM
49 years ago at Wrigley, Flubs are playing world champ Milwaukee Braves(my 2nd favorite team after Sox).After game I got every Brave autograph except Aarons, he refused and claimed he was Wes Covington(got Covingtons autograph 5 min. earlier). I was 12 years old and remember it like it was yesterday.Ive dispised Aaron ever since that day and almost puked when Aaron broke Ruth record. IMO the Babe will always be baseballs home run king.