PDA

View Full Version : Who are these two pitchers?

A. Cavatica
08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
These two pitchers were traded for each other, yet their stats are almost identical. Can you identify them?

Pitcher A: 6-8, 5.06 ERA; .282 BAA, 1.50 WHIP; 22 HR allowed.

Pitcher B: 5-8, 5.04 ERA; .271 BAA, 1.51 WHIP; 8 HR allowed.

Hint: The pitcher who has allowed 22 HR pitches in a hitter's park.

getonbckthr
08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
A- Danks
b-BMAC

soltrain21
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
A- Danks
b-BMAC

Danks has given up twenty two home runs this year?

A. Cavatica
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Danks has given up twenty two home runs this year?

So it says on espn.com. In 122 innings!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28508

oeo
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM
So it says on espn.com. In 122 innings!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28508

And about 17 of those were solo shots.

What the original poster fails to mention is...
1) Danks is a rookie and two years younger.
2) Danks has pitched over 30 more innings.

Danks has a ton of potential. When he can keep that change down, he's dominant. He's got a long career in front of him.

OTOH, this year was supposed to be McCarthy's breakout year. He's spent some time on the DL, but has not broken out of anything.

A. Cavatica
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
What the original poster fails to mention is...
1) Danks is a rookie and two years younger.
2) Danks has pitched over 30 more innings.

And Danks is lefthanded, and Masset had a nice outing tonight for Charlotte...

I left out those details because I don't think we'll be able to evaluate the trade for a couple more years. I was just struck by the similarity in the stats at this point in the season, and I found it ironic that McCarthy may have been traded because of his flyball tendencies.

DSpivack
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
And Danks is lefthanded, and Masset had a nice outing tonight for Charlotte...

I left out those details because I don't think we'll be able to evaluate the trade for a couple more years. I was just struck by the similarity in the stats at this point in the season, and I found it ironic that McCarthy may have been traded because of his flyball tendencies.

Don't forget the third guy in the trade whose name I forget!

Lip Man 1
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
One point that could come into play regarding Masset. I didn't know this until reading the 'off season' story by Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times today.

Apparently Masset is out of options now, so next year he either HAS to make the roster and stay there, regardless of how he pitches, or the Sox risk losing him if they try to send him back down.

Can someone confirm this?

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
OTOH, this year was supposed to be McCarthy's breakout year. He's spent some time on the DL, but has not broken out of anything.

Based on what? Garland was older and needed about 700 innings before 'breaking out'

Hard to compare and way too early to evaluate the deal

UserNameBlank
08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Danks showed today what he is capable of when he can use his changeup and throw his curve for strikes every now and then. Danks is also someone who really should have been in Triple A this year, but has instead been learning in the majors. McCarthy has been in the majors for a good part of '05, all of '06, and now here in '07. He should be further along by now, but he's not. Danks should be the better pitcher of the two, hopefully as soon as next year.

chaerulez
08-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I would consider Texas a hitters park.