PDA

View Full Version : Royce (K)layton? He Gone

Ziggy S
08-07-2007, 05:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuDs7IriuhgNjKfuFf98eBIRvLYF?slug=ap-bluejays-clayton&prov=ap&type=lgns :D::kneeslap:

I guess when a player is known for his terrific fielding and that gift goes away, he is no longer useful to any major league franchise, including the Pittsburgh Pirates. Hell, Uribe's an upgrade over the Choice and that says a lot.

balke
08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
He was the best defensive shortstop Paulie ever played with.

NSSoxFan
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Here we go...

soxfan43
08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Good ol' Rally Killin' Royce. I'll never forget being at a game and the Sox fans chanting M-V-P when he'd get to the plate. Classic,

Murphy10
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I always thought my grandpa was going to have a heart attack when he came up to the plate.

However, being a 9 year old when he was on the team, I loved his corn rows and his occasional high socks. To bad the 254 average with 1 homerun wasnt quite working out for the jays

soxinem1
08-07-2007, 07:21 PM
The ideal guy to pick up and light a fire under Uribe's ass!!

ode to veeck
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM

:tealpolice:

ode to veeck
08-07-2007, 07:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmixSzhZJo18kBCC1ptin0cRvLYF?slug=ap-bluejays-clayton&prov=ap&type=lgns

"His defensive range had diminished significantly and he made seven errors in 68 games in the field with Toronto."

Boy his range must have gotton close to that of a lawn chair at short, cause it always sucked

jdm2662
08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I was at the St. Louis series at Busch in 2001. This was around when Clayton's average was hovering around .090 or so. I remember he came to the plate with the bases loaded two outs. The Sox were down 7-3. I told my two friends that if he hits a grand slam, I will buy everyone lunch tommorrow. Now, keep in my mind my friend's wife and her two friends were coming to the next day's game. Buying lunch for five people at the ball park can be quite expensive. Needless to say, I liked my chances. He ended up grounded out weakly to short...

As for me for winning the bet, I got nothing...

eastchicagosoxfan
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I was never a fan of Clayton, but I gotta cut him some slack. He was brought in to replace a legend in Ozzie Smith. On the surface at least, his career stats on offense compare decently with Smith's. Of course defensively, no one in recent years compared with Smith. Clayton wasn't a bad shortstop. With the Sox, his defense was okay, his offense sucked, but he wasn't looked as as an offensive player, and he did nothing to change that outlook. He came across to the average fan as a class A Ass, with the A capitalized for a reason. He sucked in the clutch..........consistently.

34 Inch Stick
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Possibly my least favorite Sox player of all time. I went to a Diamondbacks game not knowing he was with the team. I heard his name in the starting lineup and instinctively booed.

HawkDJ
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
:thechoice

Ziggy S
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Possibly my least favorite Sox player of all time. I went to a Diamondbacks game not knowing he was with the team. I heard his name in the starting lineup and instinctively booed.
Was it the same game where he made an error that opened the floodgates for a ten run inning a coupl of years ago? Ah, good times.

Foulke You
08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Royce Clayton was absolute garbage. HIGHLY overrated defensive talent, bad attitude, and a terrible...and I mean TERRIBLE hitter. Anyone who thinks Royce was doing what he was brought in to do for the Sox wasn't watching his defense close enough. I also highly doubt that Kenny thought he'd be bringing a .100 first half hitter into his lineup.

Yet somehow, every year Royce and his agent manage to swindle some GM into giving him a contract. I thought he'd be out of baseball after his fiasco with the White Sox but he managed to leach on to more teams after that for another 5 years. Brewers, D'backs, Blue Jays, Reds, and Nationals all got suckered into the Choice factor. It wouldn't surprise me if some team picked him up next year to "shore up" their infield defense.

I don't know what I hated more about Royce, the fact that he sucked so bad or the fact that Jerry Manuel absolutely refused to bench the guy for the better part of 3 seasons.

:jerry
"It was an absolute pleasure to write Royce's name into the lineup card everyday. Our trips to the ice cream store after the games was the stuff of legend."

RKMeibalane
08-08-2007, 07:33 PM

That statement still makes me laugh. Konerko was teammates with Barry Larkin in 1998. Does he really think Clayton is a better shortstop than Larkin was?

palehozenychicty
08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
To say that guy blows is being kind.