PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Plan?

Lip Man 1
08-07-2007, 12:26 PM
If true I'm curious who the names are and how realistic it will be....we'll see.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/499382,CST-SPT-sox07.article

Lip

Mr.1Dog
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Sounds promising.

HomeFish
08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Unless KW has a money tree or a magic fish, it seems like it's complete fluff.

jdm2662
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, KW always has a plan. It's a matter if it ends up working out. I won't fault him for trying.

Please Kenny, I beg you. I really would like to see a new shortstop. Don't care how or what, just get it done.

voodoochile
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM

You got a graph that will show the effects of having the tree/fish versus not having them? Perhaps a comparison on what will happen to the Sox with or without said tree/fish...

tebman
08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I think we've already seen the beginning of KW's money tree. Moving Iguchi and Mackowiak freed up around $6 million, and though I'll miss them both, the guys who replaced them are doing a fine job.

Williams has shown that he's a pretty savvy dealmaker. He's made mistakes, of course, but on balance he's come out ahead. Sounds promising to me, too.

Scottiehaswheels
08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
ok trying to figure out what we have $ wise tied up already for next year....

Mark $14 mil
Javy $11 mil
Jon $10 mil?
Danks $300k
Floyd? $300k
Contreras traded

SP $36 mil give or take

Relievers

MacDougal $2 mil?
Thornton $1 mil?
Bobby $500k?
Logan? $300k?
???? ????
???? ????

Relievers pay roughly $6 mil sound about right?

Konerko $12 mil
Thome $9 mil?
AJP $6 mil?
Crede/Fields 7-8 mil or 300k?
everything else is a tossup really

thats roughly 70-75 mil spent already.... by my count we have like 5 starter positions yet to fill and who knows what we're gonna have for a bench.... Guess payroll might go as high as $115-120?

HawkDJ
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
ok trying to figure out what we have $ wise tied up already for next year....

I'd say no matter what happens to Jose, we will probably be paying a bare minimum of $5 million for Contreras next year, so you might want to add that in.

puckereduppiet
08-07-2007, 01:12 PM
don't stop believing~~~~~~

Mickster
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd say no matter what happens to Jose, we will probably be paying a bare minimum of $5 million for Contreras next year, so you might want to add that in.

I believe that there is no way Jose ends up with another team this off season unless the Sox pick up a substantial (read: 50%) of his contract. I just don't see that happening. Unfortunately, Garland is most likely to go.

jabrch
08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately, Garland is most likely to go.

If Garland goes, he better get us a TOP TIER package in return. Stoneman has been historically difficult to work with, but maybe he's finally ready to play for now instead of for next year?

Gammons Peter
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Oh, he has a plan alright. The plan is to make sure knuckleheads like us get excited and renew our season ticket plans

Madscout
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
"If it happens and he can get the kind of team the way he wants it, then we can go out there and play his kind of ball as far as hit-and-running, bunting, stealing, all that kind of stuff.''

I like this, but this means probably that Thome, Konerko, or Dye are out of here. My vote is on Thome, as the other two can still play their postions. I love the guy, but this team needs to go another direction.

INSox56
08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Meh, I could give a **** about who we're going for. The only thing I care about is who we actually can get signed.

UserNameBlank
08-07-2007, 02:26 PM
If Garland goes, he better get us a TOP TIER package in return. Stoneman has been historically difficult to work with, but maybe he's finally ready to play for now instead of for next year?
Who knows, but the Angels are always rumored to be looking at so-and-so but nothing ever materializes. Maybe they should start dumping some of their highly-touted prospects before they lose all their value.

Depending on what happens with Seattle this year, they are the team to target IMO. Supposedly they are trying to work out an extension with Jose Guillen. If they sign him, they'll have Ichiro and Adam Jones for a long time, making Balentien most likely available. Add in Jeff Clement since we have no catching prospects that really look like starters and throw in something else on our side and call it even.

munchman33
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Homefish? Where you been. We've missed your cynicism.

HomeFish
08-07-2007, 07:30 PM
You got a graph that will show the effects of having the tree/fish versus not having them? Perhaps a comparison on what will happen to the Sox with or without said tree/fish...

Well, the tricky thing about the money tree is that the more KW uses it, the more inflation increases, meaning that the players will just demand more. That means that theoretically, it might not solve all of our problems.

So the magic fish is definitely the way to go. But it might limit us to a set number of wishes, meaning we could only fill three of the half-dozen or so holes in our team.

So I guess I retract my statement. Even if KW has a money tree or a magic fish, it's still a bluff.

BadBobbyJenks
08-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I want a magic fish

Hitmen77
08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
thats roughly 70-75 mil spent already.... by my count we have like 5 starter positions yet to fill and who knows what we're gonna have for a bench.... Guess payroll might go as high as $115-120?

How do you figure 5? We have AJ (C), Konerko (1B), Richar (2B), Fields/Crede (3B), Thome (DH), and I'm pretty sure that at least one rookie (Owens/Sweeney) will fill one of the OF positions. That leaves 3 starting positions by my count. Yes, that will still be a big task - but I think saying we have 5 starting positions to fill is a bit of an exaggeration.

santo=dorf
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
He sure has his work cut out for him in the entire OF.
Maybe they'll give Fields a look in LF in September for the possibility of bringing Crede back to play third.

soxfanreggie
08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Sox could save a little bit of money if they still have some Cameron or Rowand jerseys in a back room some where :D:

Frater Perdurabo
08-07-2007, 10:14 PM
This is pure conjecture, but it happens to fit the chronology:

I'll bet that KW had hoped to make a run at Ichiro and that he told Buehrle that, too.

Unfortunately for the Sox, as we all know, Ichiro re-signed with the Mariners.

Who "Plan B" is, I have no guesses.