PDA

View Full Version : Frank is a Sinkhole in the Lineup

CerberusWG
04-06-2002, 12:06 PM
No matter how many times Lofton and Durham get on Frank blows chances to drive them in by popping it up. Our offense is NOT POTENT when our #3 hitter is popping up every damn pitch. He needs to get his **** together and maybe get another visit from Walt so he can actually drive the ball again. If he cant get a hit off of Durbin today, he needs to realize something is wrong.

KempersRS
04-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
No matter how many times Lofton and Durham get on Frank blows chances to drive them in by popping it up. Our offense is NOT POTENT when our #3 hitter is popping up every damn pitch. He needs to get his **** together and maybe get another visit from Walt so he can actually drive the ball again. If he cant get a hit off of Durbin today, he needs to realize something is wrong.

Don't leave out Maggs. He's been just as bad or worse and he is hitting clean up.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Keep in mind that this is the first time Frank has seen Major League pitching since last April. It may take some time for him to get locked in, so I think we need to be patient with him. Besdies, KempersRS is right. Ordonez has been just as bad, if not worse, and he hits behind Frank.

I supose it's possible that Frank is putting too much pressure on himself to produce early, to make up for what he lost last season. The White Sox as a team have not played well, so I am not concerned yet. If Thomas were the only player struggling, then I would worry.

Paulwny
04-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Don't leave out Maggs. He's been just as bad or worse and he is hitting clean up.

Agree, with Lofton + Durham on base 6 times last night, Frank + Maggs = 1 rbi.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2002, 12:29 PM
that RBI was Frank's. Let's remember that before we get on his case. At least he found a way to manufacture a run. Ordonez just made a bonehead mistake running the bases.

HawkDJ
04-06-2002, 12:38 PM
Frank does know something is wrong. He is saying he is trying everything possible to get his swing back. If he doesn't, it will be because he is just washed up and not because he didn't try to change things.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Agreed. If his skills have deteriorated, there's nothing he can do. I don't anyone can hold it against him for trying to come back and help the club. Besides, he's accomplished a great deal in baseball, and I don't anyone here should feel that Thomas has something to prove. He could go the rest of his career without getting a hit, and I would still think of him as one of the best hitters I've ever seen.

RichH55
04-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Well Giambi isn't doing it yet...Helton isnt hitting the cover off the ball......I say we retire everyone that doesnt produce before the first week of the year! NOW....Slump? What is such a thing

Huisj
04-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Guys go through slumps. It happens. If Thomas was in the middle of a Thomas like season and went 4 games with only a few hits and no homers, I don't think he would get complaints telling him to retire. It just happens that he is slumping right at the beginning of the year, so the only stats you can see are his lousy ones.

Now, if he's still hitting .200 with no homers in a few week, uh oh.

Huisj
04-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah, and it seems like it's taken one game for Ordonez to not suck anymore today--a few hits and a homer. Suddenly he's hitting over .300.

Who knows, the same thing could happen to Frank tomorrow.

Bisco Stu
04-06-2002, 03:20 PM
Lets cut Big H some slack. He is only the greatest Sox player EVER.

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah, leave Frank alone. Save the bashing for CLAYTON!

RKMeibalane
04-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Does anyone find it humorous that on a day when every Sox regular gets a hit, Clayton is the one guy who doesn't?

kermittheefrog
04-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Does anyone find it humorous that on a day when every Sox regular gets a hit, Clayton is the one guy who doesn't?

I find that typical.

Bisco Stu
04-06-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm one of the few who dares to defend Royce, too. He did have the home run the other day. And at least he can play D.

But I agree it's going to get old real fast if he doesn't hit until August again.

Also, is there any doubt Mark is winning 20 this year?

pearso66
04-06-2002, 04:37 PM
im sorry, i cant defend clayton, sure he hit a homerun, but that is his only hit of the year, every sox player that started had a hit today, except him, even sandy had 3, Sandy, isnt clayton supposed to be better than him?

HawkDJ
04-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well Giambi isn't doing it yet...Helton isnt hitting the cover off the ball......I say we retire everyone that doesnt produce before the first week of the year! NOW....Slump? What is such a thing

Its not so much him being in a slump. If he was in a slump, he most likely would be robbed of a couple hits. Now he is actually getting hits he shouldn't be getting. Ichiro misplayed a ball for the first time and Frank hit a ducksnort today. Right now he is just popping every pitch up and just doesn't seem in place. He is trying to change things up but it isn't working. If this continues we will have serious trouble if he is popping pitches up in RBI situations. I love Big Frank and you have to feel sorry for him coming in here with a great attitude for the first time, but you would have to be blind to see he isn't looking right out there.

foulkesfan11
04-06-2002, 06:56 PM
Looks like Frank is having another slow start. Hopefully he gets his rhythm soon.

beausox
04-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Frank is the BEST hitter in our line-up. I'll bet he ends up going in the hall of fame. He just needs a few games to get teh kinks out and he'llbe fine. If Lofton and Durham keep getting on base, once Frank starts to hit, its going to be a great year.

duke of dorwood
04-06-2002, 10:41 PM
I'd get him out of the 3 spot til he does.

harwar
04-07-2002, 11:30 AM
No one who knows baseball expected Big Frank to hit right away.Not only has he been away from BB for a whole year but he never hits well in april.Even Frank seems to know this as he works on getting his swing back because he doesn't look frustrated.Theres' nothing for it but to get your at-bats and work thru it.He'll be fine come may.

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I'd get him out of the 3 spot til he does.

No, no, no...

Don't mess with Franks head unless it is an urgent situation. If Frank is still struggling in a month, then and only then should they even consider it. The big man can hit. I don't know what games you guys have been watching, but Frank hasn't been as bad as some of you are making out. Right before one of his popups yesterday, he laced a ball down the left field line that landed about 5 feet foul. Also, some of his popups are taking what seems like an hour to come down meaning he missed a HR by " " that much on the bat barrel. Not saying he is off to a great start, but you do have to look deeper at this stuff. Besides with Maggs starting to hit, it should lead to Frank seeing better pitches. With a man or two on base before him and Magg, Konehead, Manos and Lee following Frank is going to see a bunch of good stuff to hit. Give him a chance to find his grove...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Don't mess with Franks head unless it is an urgent situation. If Frank is still struggling in a month, then and only then should they even consider it. The big man can hit....

If anyone in baseball has earned a long tryout for the #3 hole, it's Frank Thomas. He missed his third MVP award by the skin of his teeth in 2000, and is coming back from what is essentially a full year missed due to injury.

Cut the man some slack.

RKMeibalane
04-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Agreed. I know I was complaining yesterday, but let's give the man some space. Baseball is the most difficult sport to play. Where else can you fail seventy percent of the time and still be considered good at what you do?

That was a good point about Frank popping the ball up. At least he is getting elevation on them. His timing is messed up because he hasn't seen pitching at this level since last April. It's not like he isn't making any contact.

I think he'll be OK, but it may take some time. You notice that Hawk and DJ aren't really worried. DJ said something about Frank feeling his way around at the plate, but that's it.

I have a feeling Frank will break out soon. Maybe that bloop single he muscled out after getting jammed will get him going.

voodoochile
04-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Big Frank - got his bat sawed off 12" from the hands - of course he jacked it out to left... 1-0 good guys...