PDA

View Full Version : So Long Comiskey Park

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Just saw this recently added on YouTube, was too young to remember any of it, but man, def brought out some feelings for me. Volume is a little low, but from VHS, yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGdI2Ud4x8

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Here is another one he had, a musical tribute, but I think I saw it before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSopWef48cw

robertks61
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Welcome and thanks for the memories!

getonbckthr
08-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Wow I thought the current uniforms debut with the stadium.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
My first baseball game was the last night game at Old Comiskey, they could have (and should have) made the new one look a lot more like the old one and tehy should also memoralize the old one more...seeing Einhorn in that Florida White Sox shirt though reminds why I so despise Eddie Einhorn.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow I thought the current uniforms debut with the stadium.
Nope, the last night game and the last game at Old Comiskey was when they debuted the curren uniforms which, of course, were a throw back to the 1950s, so it was kind of in tribute to the stadium that they debuted them then.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 09:24 PM
I appreciate these video tributes, but they have really become very heartbreaking to watch.

1977, 1983, and the magical 1990. I really believe Comiskey tried to push that team to one final great bought of glory single handedly. It was like it put the team on it's shoulders, and pushed it full throttle because no way does a team like that win 94 games today.

Comiskey was a huge part of my childhood, teen years, and early 20's. Just like that Aunt or Grandparent who made those great cookies, or homemade bread and sausage, you can still smell them and remember them like it was yesterday.

You can tell stories when you see pictures of you with them, and even tell your kids all about them.

I really wish Comiskey was still around, as it was a place that always enabled me to sort of shut ot the rest of the world once you were inside. It had that special power, especially when it put you in the 'way-back' machine and you soaked all the events that park witnessed in its lifetime.

Watching these clips made me fondly remember those days, but reality made me realize that those days are long gone, and for anyone who experienced what I am saying, I'm sure you know what I mean. And for those of you who are too young or were never at Comiskey, trust me, you were indeed in 'The Baseball Palace of the World.'

rdivaldi
08-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I get a little nostalgic looking at those kind of videos as well. However my memories of Old Comiskey are from its last couple of years and I'm sorry guys but it was completely run-down. It was old and needed to be replaced in the worst way. I'm glad the Cell is our new home, a modern world class stadium for the greatest fans in baseball.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
White Sox 51:

Actually the black and white pinstripe uniforms were used for the entire final home stand. They debuted on September 25th in a loss to the Twins and were also used when Milwaukee played a single make up game as well as the final series with Seattle.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2007, 10:31 PM
White Sox 51:

Actually the black and white pinstripe uniforms were used for the entire final home stand. They debuted on September 25th in a loss to the Twins and were also used when Milwaukee played a single make up game as well as the final series with Seattle.

Lip
Oh...well, that makes sense...and yes, Old Comiskey was worn down and needed to go, but it doesn't make it any less sad. They probably could have gotten a couple more years out of it, or do what the Yankees did and completely re-haul it playing a year at Wrigley, but that would have been much more expensive.

mwc44
08-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I appreciate these video tributes, but they have really become very heartbreaking to watch.

1977, 1983, and the magical 1990. I really believe Comiskey tried to push that team to one final great bought of glory single handedly. It was like it put the team on it's shoulders, and pushed it full throttle because no way does a team like that win 94 games today.

Comiskey was a huge part of my childhood, teen years, and early 20's. Just like that Aunt or Grandparent who made those great cookies, or homemade bread and sausage, you can still smell them and remember them like it was yesterday.

You can tell stories when you see pictures of you with them, and even tell your kids all about them.

I really wish Comiskey was still around, as it was a place that always enabled me to sort of shut ot the rest of the world once you were inside. It had that special power, especially when it put you in the 'way-back' machine and you soaked all the events that park witnessed in its lifetime.

Watching these clips made me fondly remember those days, but reality made me realize that those days are long gone, and for anyone who experienced what I am saying, I'm sure you know what I mean. And for those of you who are too young or were never at Comiskey, trust me, you were indeed in 'The Baseball Palace of the World.'

Incredibly well said. And for those of you who never got a chance to walk up the tunnels that lead to the "Gold Box Seats," the feeling of seeing the field appear (even if you saw it 25 times a year... for 25 years), was a feeling you would never forget!

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, its sad, but it depends on how you look at it, all good things come to an end, at least we have these sort of things to remember good memories. I am very grateful the internet and YouTube was invented.

Fisk is right, my first memory is of New Comiskey, and I didnt know much about baseball when my family first got tickets for our first game, but when I walked in, got that smell, and saw that field, WOW, I was in awe, never seen anything so green, and loved the atmosphere. This was when everyone else was ripping on the park. Have loved baseball since. Over 10 years later and a lot of games in between I still try to get there early, stand near the closest row to the seats from the concourse, and just take it all in

Frontman
08-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Kewl video, thanks for sharing it.

As I've said before; there was nothing like Comiskey. But, she did get pretty old and run down (and smelly.)

And as much as I'll love the memories of that old ballpark, I've certainly had some great memories of both watching games on TV

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051130/wkoner30/1konerko.jpg

and

http://www.chieftain.com/archive/2007/apr/19/sptnohit.jpg

to memories that I'll always hold dear that I saw in person (see my sig)

US Cellular will be home to some great past memories and some great new ones in the making. And when its time comes, hopefully many years down the road, my son will say, "Yeah, it was a great ballpark, Dad; but this new one has got some great stuff too."

Medford Bobby
08-07-2007, 12:49 AM
White Sox 51:

Lip
Yes I taped that September 25th 1990 game with the Twins.......:cool:

MinnySoxFan
08-07-2007, 01:47 AM
I never had the pleasure to watch a game at old comiskey. I've heard stories from my dad and this past christmas i gave him an Old Comiskey Park brick. I have gone to the new park for 5 games and 1 rain-out, but whenever I walk up or come from the escalaters, and I see the field and smell the food from the concessions near gate 5, it just makes me feel all happy inside.

GregO23
08-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I was 6 months old when it closed, :(:
Too bad I wasnt able to witness such a great stadium.

stl_sox_fan
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Ha! First scene was the glow in the dark "Thanks for The Memories" shirt! I still have mine, doesn't glow in the dark as much. I was lucky enough to be there. Liked that they broke out the new unis for the last two games.

Awesome find....and "Thanks for The Memories".

SoxFan78
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Great find! Its really weird to see the "Florida" White Sox shirts in that video. Just think, if they moved, a lot of us might be cub fans, oh the horror!

tebman
08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I was 6 months old when it closed, :(:
Too bad I wasnt able to witness such a great stadium.

Enjoy the moment. One day USCF will be regarded as old and obsolete, as will the United Center, Sears Tower, and any number of other iconic buildings. Those of us who grew up at Comiskey Park miss it because we grew up there. If your warm memories are made at USCF, then hang on to them.

I don't know if I'd call old Comiskey Park "paradise," but the larger point Joni Mitchell made in her song still applies:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

TomBradley72
08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Great find! Its really weird to see the "Florida" White Sox shirts in that video. Just think, if they moved, a lot of us might be Brewers fans, oh the horror!

Fixed it.

Fenway
08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I really loved that ballpark

The only thing that bothered me were the video games that the old park had

Why would somebody go to a ballpark to play arcade games?:?:

soxinem1
08-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I really loved that ballpark

The only thing that bothered me were the video games that the old park had

Why would somebody go to a ballpark to play arcade games?:?:

Especially now when you can go to BOB in Arizona and go swimming!!!

HerzogVon
08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
>>Great find! Its really weird to see the "Florida" White Sox shirts in that video. Just think, if they moved, a lot of us might be cub fans, oh the horror!<<

NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!

Fenway
08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Especially now when you can go to BOB in Arizona and go swimming!!!
But you CAN see the game from the pool :smile:

if those people move that is

http://azdiamondhacks.mlblogs.com/diamondhacks/images/a_pool_i.jpg

KenBerryGrab
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't know if I'd call old Comiskey Park "paradise," but the larger point Joni Mitchell made in her song still applies:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

And the seasons, they go round and round
and the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We can't return we can only look
Behind from where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

mrwag
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Scott Fletcher - there's a true grinder for ya!

thomas35forever
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Great find! Its really weird to see the "Florida" White Sox shirts in that video. Just think, if they moved, a lot of us might be cub fans, oh the horror!
I would've been. I was only a year and a half old when Old Comiskey closed. Good thing they didn't move.

It's hard to believe the guy who posted that video is so critical of Reinsdorf.

Fenway
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
:whiner:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~aum108/comiskey91.GIF
FRANK SINATRA

There Used to Be a Ballpark Right Here

Writer(s): joe raposo

And there used to be a ballpark
Where the field was warm and green
And the people played their crazy game
With a joy I'd never seen.
And the air was such a wonder
From the hot dogs and the beer
Yes, there used a ballpark, right here.

And there used to be rock candy
And a great big fourth of july
With fireworks exploding
All across the summer sky
And the people watched in wonder
How they'd laugh and how they'd cheer
And there used to be a ballpark, right here.

Now the children try to find it
And they can't believe their eyes
`cause the old team just isn't playing
And the new team hardly tries
And the sky has got so cloudy
When it used to be so clear
And the summer went so quickly this year.

Yes, there used to be a ballpark, right here.

39thandWallace
08-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I am from that in between age group. I was born in 1976 I went to my first game in 83. The hard part I remember about the being a Sox fan was that we didn't get cable in my neighborhood till 88 so those 5 years in between I saw very few games on TV because of the greedy ownership.

I do remember walking through those tunnels going up those steps and the field just jumping out at you. I miss the old park but for my age group I have to say the Cell has much more memories for me. Thank God there still here and not in Florida. They have really made the new stadium nice with all the renovations, I enjoy going to games there.

MiamiSpartan
08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh...well, that makes sense...and yes, Old Comiskey was worn down and needed to go, but it doesn't make it any less sad. They probably could have gotten a couple more years out of it, or do what the Yankees did and completely re-haul it playing a year at Wrigley, but that would have been much more expensive.

The Yankees are in the proccess of also building a new ballpark across the street from the current one....just like the Mets are doing...

WhiteSox5187
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
The Yankees are in the proccess of also building a new ballpark across the street from the current one....just like the Mets are doing...
Yes, but they got an additional twenty-five years out of their old ballpark after they re-hauled it.

soxinem1
08-08-2007, 05:22 PM
:whiner:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~aum108/comiskey91.GIF

Still depressing to watch..............:(::(::(::(::(::(::(::(:

Nellie_Fox
08-09-2007, 01:25 AM
...or do what the Yankees did and completely re-haul it playing a year at Wrigley, but that would have been much more expensive.What makes you think the Cubs would have let the Sox play at Wrigley for a year? Wrigley is not publicly owned like Shea, where the Yankees played during their renovation.

chisox77
08-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Nice to see video of Old Comiskey, but somewhat depressing as well.

Can't dwell on that stuff too much - life goes on, and honestly, the White Sox have prospered at the Cell, at least at a better rate than at Old Comiskey.

:cool:

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2007, 03:30 PM
What makes you think the Cubs would have let the Sox play at Wrigley for a year? Wrigley is not publicly owned like Shea, where the Yankees played during their renovation.
I think MLB would force the Cubs to let the Sox play in Wrigley. If JR said "Hey, I'm going to renovate Comiskey so we won't be able to play there for a year," the Tribune Co would raise a fit, but MLB would be forced into letting them play at Wrigley. Other wise, where else would they play??

mrwag
08-10-2007, 09:08 AM
They could have played in Milwaukee for a year.