PDA

View Full Version : CHC releases Wade Miller

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Talk about throwing about $4-5 million out the window the last two years:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10283519

getonbckthr
08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Unfortunate for Wade. When healthy he showed great potential, unfortunately health was an issue.

UserNameBlank
08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
It's only money, and not a whole lot of it for that matter. The Cubs make a lot of dumb moves but this was a pretty good gamble. It just didn't work out. Had Wade rebounded back to his former Astros self it would have been an enormous steal for the Cubs, especially considering where the market is right now.

Domeshot17
08-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I would take a flier on him and see if making him a 1-2 inning RP pitcher is better for his arm. He could still be really effective.

whitesoxfan
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I would take a flier on him and see if making him a 1-2 inning RP pitcher is better for his arm. He could still be really effective.

IIRC, he was only throwing 85 mph. I'd say he's just about done.

santo=dorf
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
It's only money, and not a whole lot of it for that matter. The Cubs make a lot of dumb moves but this was a pretty good gamble. It just didn't work out. Had Wade rebounded back to his former Astros self it would have been an enormous steal for the Cubs, especially considering where the market is right now.
The guy was clearly washed up as evident by his rehab stint with the Red Sox. He's was finished two years ago. It was a waste of money.

How come every thread about ANY released player, no matter how bad or expensive he is, somewhere around the fifth post someone asks about the Sox possibly being interested in him?

UserNameBlank
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
The guy was clearly washed up as evident by his rehab stint with the Red Sox. He's was finished two years ago. It was a waste of money.

How come every thread about ANY released player, no matter how bad or expensive he is, somewhere around the fifth post someone asks about the Sox possibly being interested in him?
Oh, yeah I forgot about his stint with Red Sox. Well, still, at least the Flubs didn't have to give up any players for him. It's better than the Pierre trade anyway.

Grzegorz
08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
I am not sure I'd start an argument with any fans of other teams regarding a signing that turned out to be a waste of money...

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I remember when HOU got ripped when they cut him, and the likes of ESPN said teams would kick down Miller's door for a chance to sign him.

Since then, he lost has fastball and control, something BOS figured out soon after he came back.

He was a rising star at one time, but that was nearly five seasons ago. Too bad for Wade.

But in no way would I want the Sox to go after him. I'd rather have Bret Prinz back.

santo=dorf
08-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I remember when HOU got ripped when they cut him, and the likes of ESPN said teams would kick down Miller's door for a chance to sign him.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the immortal Ken Williams almost traded Carlos Lee for Wade Miller. :o:

Domeshot17
08-07-2007, 01:05 AM

All Im saying is the guy could make a good reliever. HE looked terrible with the Red Sox no doubt. He looked good in spring training with the cubs, enough to beat out a few guys for the 5th role. Im not saying we give him millions, but if he can rehab his arm i would give him a non roster invite to camp next year and see if he cant earn a role, thats all Im saying, its not like he can much worse then Day or Bukvich

russ99
08-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Talk about throwing about $4-5 million out the window the last two years:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10283519

When the Astros released (non-tendered) him three winters ago they thought he was done as a starter.

The Cubs took a high-risk/high-reward chance on him and it didn't work out.

areilly
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Coop'll fix him!

StillMissOzzie
08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
When you consider that the Messiah took the Cubs to arbitration this year, after swearing up and down to the media that he wasn't hurt, before settling for $3M, taking a flyer on Wade Miller was a relatively cheap gamble.

SMO
:gulp: