PDA

View Full Version : MLB umpires refuse background checks

Fenway
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
say what? :o:

The Major League Baseball umpires union said Monday that it is refusing to cooperate with a request for background checks from commissioner Bud Selig's office, calling the initiative a "knee-jerk, misguided witch hunt" in response to the NBA betting scandal involving referee Tim Donaghy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2963275

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd settle for random vision checks, as some of those ball/strike calls in the last NYY series demonstrate.

tebman
08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I'd settle for random vision checks, as some of those ball/strike calls in the last NYY series demonstrate.
:rolling:

:thumbsup:

lostfan
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
OMFG man... I have to have a pretty extensive background check for my job as do a lot of people. If you're not dirty you have nothing to worry about, so shut the **** up and suck it up guys.

Daver
08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
This is pure posturing on the umpires union, it is run out of the MLB main office, and has been since Bud broke their union.

Fenway
08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
The plate umpire in Anaheim last night was horrific.....and today people are wondering how much he had on the game.

Manny just lost it and he NEVER argues a plate call
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2007/08/check_bounces_m_1.html

jdm2662
08-07-2007, 04:20 PM
This is pure posturing on the umpires union, it is run out of the MLB main office, and has been since Bud broke their union.

That's what I thought when I first read this. Wasn't it broken when they tried the failed strike attempt?

Is baseball the only sport where they allow/make their officials talk about a disputed call. I remember with AJ's famous dropped third strike call, they made the umpires join the press conference. I don't recall other sports doing that.

TomBradley72
08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
How about a weight/BMI check?

soxinem1
08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
In the years immediately before the old umpire's union was broken up, the umps around the league were at their all-time worst. If anyone would even ask where a pitch missed, or come out to argue a close call on the bases, the short-tempered umps, like that jerk crook Al Clark, would run them at the snap of a finger.

After the new ump union was formed, the umpiring in MLB really improved.

But the past two seasons it is at it's worst level than ever. The bouncing, inconsistent strike zones, obvious blown calls on the bases, and the big killer, having three largely different strike zones by three different umps in a series.

When will they realize, it's about the game on the field, not them. And since every industry almost exclusively uses background checks these days (even teams hiring managers, ala ARI and Wally Backman), then if they are clean, go along with it, shut up, and call the ****ing game the way you are supposed to.

WhiteSox1983
08-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Screw the umpires. Its a good job, they should be complying with this request at the drop of a dime.

If the umpires union doesnt agree, they should just fire them all, and bring up all the AAA and AA umps.

Remember a couple years back, the umpire strike. The umps all came crawling back quickly.

:angry: This stuff, along with the steroid era make me mad!