View Full Version : NYY cuts Mike Myers

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Sort of suprised, he's done well in NY.

I wonder if KW still wants him:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10283230

jdm2662
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Myers, 38, was 3-0 with a 2.66 ERA in 55 games for New York this season. He pitched one inning Sunday, allowing one run on two hits. He had been struggling against left-handed batters, who hit .312 against him this season.
"The inability to consistently get left-handers out was a big part in making this decision," Torre said.

I think this is why he got cut.

munchman33
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, he can't get lefties out. But that's better than some of the garbage we've thrown out there, who can't get lefties or righties out. Let's pick him up.

Noneck
08-06-2007, 12:46 PM
If the Sox truly think they have a shot, they might grab him so Clev doesn't.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, he can't get lefties out. But that's better than some of the garbage we've thrown out there, who can't get lefties or righties out. Let's pick him up.

Maybe it's time to make him more than a one inning pitcher then, because hitters as a whole are hitting .247. That means the righties must be hitting about .175

palehozenychicty
08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't think he's worth it. His effectiveness this year has been at best inconsistent.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I don't think he's worth it. His effectiveness this year has been at best inconsistent.

But hearing the 'Halloween' theme every time he comes in would be cool...

eriqjaffe
08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
But hearing the 'Halloween' theme every time he comes in would be cool...Or some of the music from "Austin Powers".

dakuda
08-06-2007, 01:23 PM
It can't hurt to try to pick him up. I know he has family out here and he did think about signing the Sox offer after 2005.

Foulke You
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I've always liked Myers. I'm surprised the Yanks quit on him. I'd like the Sox to go after him but I'm sure there are going to be a ton of teams interested in his services. He's having an off year against lefties but so what? Our bullpen has had an off year against everyone. He also has a history of being tough on lefties and will probably rebound from it. Having Myers and Wasserman would give our bullpen some different arm angles and looks to it rather than having all overhanded flame throwers like this year's pen.

Foulke You
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
It can't hurt to try to pick him up. I know he has family out here and he did think about signing the Sox offer after 2005.
His profile on mlb.com says he was born in Arlington Heights, IL.

Chez
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Mike Myers flipped me off when I was sitting above the visitors bullpen at USCF in 2004 after I yelled at him to "throw like a man (overhand)." Some would say I deserved it! This has nothing to do with anything; but I like telling the story. Carry on.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Mike Myers flipped me off when I was sitting above the visitors bullpen at USCF in 2004 after I yelled at him to "throw like a man (overhand)." Some would say I deserved it! This has nothing to do with anything; but I like telling the story. Carry on.

I'd take getting flipped off any day; at least he didn't come after you like this:

http://www.shoptoit.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/MichaelMyers.jpg

WSox4life
08-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Sure, as long as Ozzie doesn\'t demand to do L/L since he is obviously much better against righties!

dickallen15
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
40 year old LOOGYs holding LH batters to a .312 AVG. don't get much interest.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 05:31 PM
40 year old LOOGYs holding LH batters to a .312 AVG. don't get much interest.

He will be picked up before the DFA period ends, without doubt.

UserNameBlank
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Dumb move by NY. Mike should be a Type A FA next year. They should have held on to him if for no other reason than to get some draft picks. Besides, Mike is one of those veteran relievers that just plain gets outs. **** the lefty/right bull****. Just get outs. That's what you're paid for, and Mike has done it his whole career. If lefties hit him well this year, make him face mostly righties who are hitting .182 against him. Notice that only in baseball is a guy who is so effective against righties useless... I'm surprised now-a-days that managers don't get fired for this lefty-righty crap.

I can't believe some people here wouldn't want this guy. Depending on what he costs, which shouldn't be much, get him for the draft picks. Dump off Oneli Perez or Bukvich or some other ineffective reliever for Myers and take the picks next year. In the mean time he'd be a nice piece to our still scary in a bad way bullpen. Need I remind everyone that Suckvich is one of our more dependable relievers as of late? Yuck.

Get it done, Kenny! Make up for dumping a useful player in Mackowiak in order to play injury prone grinders by making a sensible move.

WSox597
08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
By way of comparison, I saw yesterday that lefties were batting .360 against Mike MacDougal.

I just thought I'd bring that up.

.360! Ted Williams numbers.

dickallen15
08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Dumb move by NY. Mike should be a Type A FA next year. They should have held on to him if for no other reason than to get some draft picks. Besides, Mike is one of those veteran relievers that just plain gets outs. **** the lefty/right bull****. Just get outs. That's what you're paid for, and Mike has done it his whole career. If lefties hit him well this year, make him face mostly righties who are hitting .182 against him. Notice that only in baseball is a guy who is so effective against righties useless... I'm surprised now-a-days that managers don't get fired for this lefty-righty crap.

I can't believe some people here wouldn't want this guy. Depending on what he costs, which shouldn't be much, get him for the draft picks. Dump off Oneli Perez or Bukvich or some other ineffective reliever for Myers and take the picks next year. In the mean time he'd be a nice piece to our still scary in a bad way bullpen. Need I remind everyone that Suckvich is one of our more dependable relievers as of late? Yuck.

Get it done, Kenny! Make up for dumping a useful player in Mackowiak in order to play injury prone grinders by making a sensible move.
Draft picks won't come into play. If he is a type A free agent, whoever is interested in him would wait until his current team has to offer him arbitration, which would be silly to do, and then he would be available for no draft picks.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 06:01 PM

They'd have to offer him arbitration which he would naturally accept. But I kind of doubt he'd be a type-A FA anyway.

Still, he should be explored as a possible pick up, despite the fact that would give us two lefties who have similar deliveries.

upperdeckusc
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
They'd have to offer him arbitration which he would naturally accept. But I kind of doubt he'd be a type-A FA anyway.

Still, he should be explored as a possible pick up, despite the fact that would give us two lefties who have similar deliveries.

if your talking about logan, the only thing similar is that they're both left handed. NOBODY has a comparable motion to mike myers. he might be worth a flier for a cheap price.

dakuda
08-06-2007, 06:12 PM
if your talking about logan, the only thing similar is that they're both left handed. NOBODY has a comparable motion to mike myers. he might be worth a flier for a cheap price.

I would like to see him come here.

UserNameBlank
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Draft picks won't come into play. If he is a type A free agent, whoever is interested in him would wait until his current team has to offer him arbitration, which would be silly to do, and then he would be available for no draft picks.

Maybe you're right, but I guess it depends on how much he is making? If he's making a lot then it probably wouldn't be a great idea to offer arbitration, but if he isn't then worst case scenario he accepts and we trade him as soon as we can (assuming he isn't helping the team). Someone will want him though, and if no one wants him the Orioles will, and if the Orioles don't the Reds will. The Reds are like lonely truckdrivers; they pick up anyone.

Type A status depends on a players last two years. Looking at Myers' numbers it looks like he would be. Remember, Chad Bradford and David Riske were Type A FA's last year. You don't necessarily have to be a Type A player to get Type A status.

GregO23
08-07-2007, 02:31 PM
His salary for this year was 1.25 M. That isnt too bad for an ERA under 2.70