PDA

View Full Version : Our Bullpen for 2008?

TomBradley72
08-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Our bullpen seems to be stabilizing a bit over the past few weeks...barring any offseason moves...this could be our bullpen for 2008.....what moves/changes would you make? (I assumed 5 starters + 6 relievers for the overall pitching staff).

Jenks
Thornton
Wassermann
Logan
MacDougal
Bukvich

chisoxmike
08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
No Buckvich, no Wassermann, no MacDougal. Although, I'm pretty sure we will see MacDougal in a Sox uniform next season.

Chez
08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Don't forget Contreras. I think he's untradable and will likely be in our 2008 bullpen. Unless the Sox are willing to eat a major slice of his 2008 salary, I think MacDougal will be back. The only relievers who should definitely be back are Jenks and Thornton. So if we can upgrade from Logan, Wasserman, Bukvich, we should.

rdivaldi
08-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Undoubtedly I think Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal and Logan will be in the 'pen to start 2008. After that it will be kind of a crapshoot. There will be open competition in ST with Aardsma, Bukvich, Wasserman, Day, Haeger, Adam Russell and probably some other youngsters vying for the last two or three slots. KW will probably make a move during the offseason to make the competition more interesting as well.

balke
08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Undoubtedly I think Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal and Logan will be in the 'pen to start 2008. After that it will be kind of a crapshoot. There will be open competition in ST with Aardsma, Bukvich, Wasserman, Day, Haeger, Adam Russell and probably some other youngsters vying for the last two or three slots. KW will probably make a move during the offseason to make the competition more interesting as well.

I agree completely. I'm hoping they don't give up on Macdougal. Regardless of the HR by Maggs yesterday, he's looked good since he got called back up. Until this season he's been solid, hopefully he was just injured.

If Jenks Thornton, Boone, and Macdougal can be tough, the Sox add one solid arm via free agency, and Massett or someone who improves can be the junktime bullpen arm, I think they'll actually be in decent shape. They're gonna need one solid arm though.

jabrch
08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
What do you guys think the eventual destination of Sisco and Massett is? I know the organization is trying to make them both into starters. Will either ever have material impacts on the big club?

spiffie
08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
What do you guys think the eventual destination of Sisco and Massett is? I know the organization is trying to make them both into starters. Will either ever have material impacts on the big club?
I think Massett has potential to eventually be a major league pitcher. He may not end up in our rotation, but I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see him as a #4 or #5 somewhere.

Sisco just seems like a lost cause. So much talent but unable to harness it. He'll probably get another look or two at the MLB level just because he can fire it so hard, but I would be surprised if he ever sticks at the major level for too long.

I wonder what Aardsma's role, if any, is next year.

chisoxmike
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I wonder what Aardsma's role, if any, is next year.

Ball boy.

MCHSoxFan
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
What about the guy from KC? I have not seen him pitch since May, I forgot his name!!!!!

eriqjaffe
08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Nathan
Linebrink
Isringhausen
Rivera
Valverde
Jenks

Sockinchisox
08-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Don't forget Contreras. I think he's untradable and will likely be in our 2008 bullpen. Unless the Sox are willing to eat a major slice of his 2008 salary, I think MacDougal will be back. The only relievers who should definitely be back are Jenks and Thornton. So if we can upgrade from Logan, Wasserman, Bukvich, we should.

Jose said he won't pitch out of the bullpen next year.

eriqjaffe
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Jose said he won't pitch out of the bullpen next year.Jose can say whatever he wants, he doesn't get to make those decisions.

itsnotrequired
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Jose can say whatever he wants, he doesn't get to make those decisions.

He could always retire...

oeo
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
No Buckvich, no Wassermann, no MacDougal. Although, I'm pretty sure we will see MacDougal in a Sox uniform next season.

MacDougal will be back, as he should. And how have you seen enough of Wassermann to make a decision? I think he's looked pretty good, and maybe it's coincidence but the bullpen started solidifying when he came up.

eriqjaffe
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
He could always retire...Don't you mean...

He could always retire...

PatK
08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
MacDougal will be back, as he should. And how have you seen enough of Wassermann to make a decision? I think he's looked pretty good, and maybe it's coincidence but the bullpen started solidifying when he came up.

I agree- I think he's been decent. With that sidearm style of his, it presents a different look out of the pen.

rdivaldi
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Sisco just seems like a lost cause. So much talent but unable to harness it. He'll probably get another look or two at the MLB level just because he can fire it so hard, but I would be surprised if he ever sticks at the major level for too long.

I wouldn't give up on Sisco until the young man was ready to call it quits. Guys that size, throw that hard AND are left handed do not come along too often. Don't forget that even though it seems that he's been around forever, Sisco turned 24 this year. Way too early to write him off.

chisoxmike
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
And how have you seen enough of Wassermann to make a decision? I think he's looked pretty good, and maybe it's coincidence but the bullpen started solidifying when he came up.

He's getting outs, sure. But just becuase he's been pitching well for two weeks doesn't mean he should get a spot in the bullpen next season. Also, the bullpen couldn't get any worse, they've been pitching pretty good lately, but I wouldn't want to go into 2008 with this pen at all. But that's just me.

Jenks, Thorton, and Logan are the only three I would start with.

IlliniSox4Life
08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope we bring in at least one crafty veteran, and keep Wasserman. I don't like having all flamethrowers, and I also don't like having all young guys. I think giving our bullpen a little more variety with a guy like Wasserman and also a more experienced veteran will help give a little bit more stability to help prevent what happened in the middle of this year.

edit: and that obviously is dependent on how the rest of the season goes.

Chipol
08-06-2007, 03:43 PM
If Sisco keeps up his recent success in AAA, he might make a nice piece in a trade.

PalehosePlanet
08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I know people are down on Bukvich, but he's certainly good enough to be a 6th-7th inning bridge guy for us like Pollite was prior to '05. Also Boone Logan is still a baby and should, or could, improve significantly next year. Bobby, Matt and Mac will obviously be here also --- and with better results.

I'd obviously be elated to score a Scott Shields type. But a reliable year-to-year setup man such as that is extremely rare. The majority of middle and setup guys are very much hit or miss from year to year.