PDA

View Full Version : McCarver = Bonehead

alohafri
08-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught this in Saturday's Cubbie Kool-Aid Fest on Fox, but at one point, Tim McCarver said, "If the Cubs could somehow make the post season, and could somehow get into the World Series, and could, with the help of that man right there, Lou Piniella, could win the World Series, it would go down as one of the top three athletic achievements in this nation's history, and I'm not exaggerating." Is this guy for real? In the entire 231 years of the United States of America, the Cubs winning a World Series would be in the top three of all athletic achievements?

GlassSox
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Only if you hate the goat and love the Scrubs.

:kukoo:

DumpJerry
08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
What a tool.

It would be the greatest athletic achievement in the history of civilization.

Palehose Pete
08-06-2007, 12:16 AM
*sigh*

I almost - repeat, almost - wish that the Cubs would win the damn thing so that everyone would stop giving a **** about them.

And, yes, it is an immutable law of nature that Tim McCarver is an idiot. A maroon. A gull-a-bull. A nin-cow-poop, if you will.

Thank God the Sox swept the Tiggers!!!

cws05champ
08-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Really...does anyone here take McCarver seriously anymore? He obviously does not do any research anymore before getting on the air, he spouts off on things he really doesn't know about. He is really just the "aww shucks" counterpart to a competent(albeit biased) Joe Buck.

MarySwiss
08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I was working in my office, and my husband had the game on in the family room. I wasn't paying any attention to it, of course, but for some reason, I heard that incredibly stupid remark. It made me want to hurl on the spot.

ws05champs
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Perhaps Tim misspoke. Actually when you consider what a bunch of God-forsaken ass clowns the Cubs have been, winning anything for them might be the one of the three greatest sports miracles in the nation's history. You would have to be a fool to think it would be one of the greatest athletic achievements in the nation's sports history.

Gavin
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Personally I think such a Cubs achievement would be somewhere between the development of the wheel and the creation of the decimal system.

twentywontowin
08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Him talking reminds me so much of the Bud Light: Real Men of Genius.

"Your offer priceless insight. Like scoring more points will help you win."

Fenway
08-06-2007, 01:11 PM
What a tool.

It would be the greatest athletic achievement in the history of civilization.

no sir

this is #1

http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~scchen/public/pics/2004.12%20THE%20JOY%20OF%20SOX/Sox%20time.bmp

The TIm McCarver quote of the year:
"If you leadoff and you play every day, you're guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times."

spawn
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
What, is he kidding? I can name 5 off the top of my head that would be greater team achievements than that:

- the '69 Mets
- The '80 US hockey team's "Miracle on Ice"
- The '68 New York Jets upset of the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III
- Texas Western beating the University of Kentucky in the '66 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- UCLA winning 7 consecutive NCAA Men's Basketball championships

The Cubs winning this year wouldn't rank in my Top 50 sports achievments, let alone top 3.:rolleyes:

slavko
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Why, it would rival the courier of ancient Greece who ran the first Marathon and dropped dead at the finish! Maybe McCarver or Lou could drop dead after the final out! What drama!

FedEx227
08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
no sir

this is #1

http://www-mtl.mit.edu/%7Escchen/public/pics/2004.12%20THE%20JOY%20OF%20SOX/Sox%20time.bmp

Um....

:puking: :puking: :puking: :puking: :puking: :puking:

mjmcend
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Who's dumber? McCarver or Morgan? And why are either of them employed? Is someone can answer those questions, that would legitimately be one of the greatest achievements in American history.

Sox
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught this in Saturday's Cubbie Kool-Aid Fest on Fox, but at one point, Tim McCarver said, "If the Cubs could somehow make the post season, and could somehow get into the World Series, and could, with the help of that man right there, Lou Piniella, could win the World Series, it would go down as one of the top three athletic achievements in this nation's history, and I'm not exaggerating." Is this guy for real? In the entire 231 years of the United States of America, the Cubs winning a World Series would be in the top three of all athletic achievements?

I highly doubt that. Thank you Tim.:rolleyes: You win the mister Obvious award for useless ramblings that would have been better off kept to yourself.

PKalltheway
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
no sir

this is #1

http://www-mtl.mit.edu/~scchen/public/pics/2004.12%20THE%20JOY%20OF%20SOX/Sox%20time.bmp

No.

areilly
08-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I'd like to think this was McCarver's way of making a backhanded compliment towards the Cubs, like they're so bad that for them to defeat an AL team in a 7-game series, let alone even make it to the World Series, would be nothing less than a miracle.

But I know he's neither smart nor witty enough for that kind of well-informed spite.

MarySwiss
08-06-2007, 10:11 PM
[/center]
No.

Second.

Sorry, Fens; but I'd be willing to bet--no, scratch that; I know damn well!--that you are in the vast minority here.

For my money, the Red Sox can fold any old time--and twice on Sunday. In fact, for my money, the entire East Coast can--well, use your imagination; I'm trying to avoid being mean-spirited!

On second thought, I'm NOT sorry!

Number 1? Only on the pathetic SOSH Website. But not here. Not even close.

wassagstdu
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I am embarrassed to admit that McCarver's drivel made me so angry. Thinking about it, I am sure what he meant was that the Cubs have been such a joke for so long that nobody ever has taken them seriously or even thought of them as a real major league franchise. They have been more of a mascot for MLB. So for them to win would be comparable to the Phillies Phanatic winning the triple crown. How huge would that be??

IlliniSox4Life
08-07-2007, 01:45 PM
The difference between Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees fans and fans of other baseball teams is that while our championships (or in the Cubs' case, potential championships) mean the world to us, we realize that the rest of the world doesn't see it that way.

edit: and for the record, #1 goes to the 1980 US Hockey team.

Smokey Burg
08-07-2007, 02:11 PM
The guy is a complete idiot, just like the other national broadcasters, Buck, Morgan, et al. I have not heard one informative or useful insight from these masters of the inanely obvious during the last several seasons. As other posters have mentioned, the Cubs making the playoffs would be a miracle not an achievement. The last two weeks they haven't been playing like a team that is hungry for the post season and now that Soriano is out that post season appearance just gets farther away. Besides, the Bears start pre season Sunday night and baseball will be an after thought. If the Cubs manage to do anything this year, it will most likely be that they miss the wild card by one game. I pity Cub fans who are wasting their time and hopes on their team making the playoffs. You heard it here first.

RadioheadRocks
08-07-2007, 05:50 PM
And when the Cubs end up choking yet again, perhaps McCarver can dust off his infamous quote: "why do these things happen???"