PDA

View Full Version : Miller/Morgan vs. Buck/McCarver

ND_Sox_Fan
08-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I know we have had countless announcer threads in the past, but I figured this would be something to waste our time on during the off-day.

I generally do not listen to the painful sounds of of these four, but after listening to the Jon Miller and Joe Morgan crew tonight, I think they are worse than Fox's "#1" crew of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

It pains me to listen to Buck/McCarver ruin the playoffs and World Series every year, but solely judged on their inabilities as announcers, M&M's inability to call a game is far more severe than the other two.

Joe Morgan is intellectually vacant and Miller offers nothing but his own stupid comments to compound what Morgan has said. Miller does have a good voice, but when only drivel is falling out of his mouth, the sound doesn't help much.

So, I ask - who do you think is worse?

TDog
08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I actually like Jon Miller, and when I listened to Miller and Joe Morgan do the radio for the 2005 World Series, I thought they actually did a great job.

ilsox7
08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I think Miller is generally good, but Morgan really hurts him a lot. Joe Buck is the worst announcer in all of sports.

soxfanreggie
08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Buck and McCarver are brutal to listen to. I don't know why Fox keeps trotting them out there, but fans must not be complaining.

Palehose Pete
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
McCarver could drag down Vin Scully. Buck isn't the best in the biz, but he's definitely at a disadvantage with a wingman like McCarver. I almost feel bad for Buck. Then I remember that he sucks, too, in his own vacant "I have a great voice, hear me say anything" kind of way, and I stop short of pitying him.

thomas35forever
08-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Whoops, I meant to vote for Buck/McCarver.

oeo
08-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Miller is actually pretty good. I could do without Joe Morgan, but I like how Miller isn't afraid to get excited when something big happens (unlike Mr. Buck, who's just lame).

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I like Joe Buck (but I thought he was unduly harsh on the Sox in 2005) and I like Jon Miller. I think that Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver are idiots. I think if you pair guys like Jon Miller or Joe Buck with a guy like Steve Stone, they would wind up sounding a lot better. But I think both McCarver and Morgan weigh them down like a ton of rocks.

TDog
08-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Miller is actually pretty good. I could do without Joe Morgan, but I like how Miller isn't afraid to get excited when something big happens (unlike Mr. Buck, who's just lame).

Last week, I was listening to the Giants game in my car and heard Jon Miller for some reason go into home run calls of other announcers. After doing a dead-on Harry Callas, he nailed Ken Harrelson.

The Racehorse
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
I always think it's funny how people rip announcers. Sure, they'll sometimes say the most inane things, but I'm not hanging on their every word... or even most of their words.

Railsplitter
08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Buck and McCarver. Miller does have have a good voice, as noted before, but Buck is just plain loud.

PatK
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I think Morgan and McCarver blow equally.

Miller I like much better than Buck.

Chisox353014
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I hate Buck, especially after 2005. Thanks to him and that asshat Berman, we have ZERO memorable calls from our World Series run. Thank God for John Rooney.

Rockin Robin
08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks to that all important "interview" with Joe Buck during the WS of 04, we all know who Leon's favorite is.
http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_03/1013_bs04.gif

palehozenychicty
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Morgan and McCarver are in a class of abominable. Yesterday, Morgan mentioned that Castillo had difficulty with the "Wrigley wind patterns" because he had always been in the AL. Yet, not only did Castillo come up with the Fish and play there for a decade, he HIT the ball that Bartman and Alou flubbed in the playoffs. Miller called him out on it, and crickets chirped from Morgan. Morgan is despicable. :angry:

Rockin Robin
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Morgan and McCarver are in a class of abominable. Yesterday, Morgan mentioned that Castillo had difficulty with the "Wrigley wind patterns" because he had always been in the AL. Yet, not only did Castillo come up with the Fish and play there for a decade, he HIT the ball that Bartman and Alou flubbed in the playoffs. Miller called him out on it, and crickets chirped from Morgan. Morgan is despicable. :angry:

hahahahahahaha

Sounds about right.

soxfanatlanta
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I do not know what is worse: Morgan's phoned in commentaries, or McCarver's alternate reality. It's like choosing between a knee to the groin or a blow to the head.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM

I heard that too, and while I didn't confirm it, I said to my wife - "I think Castillo was on the Marlins when they beat the Cubs here." Her response was - "You hate him(Morgan) anyway - and NOW you're paying attention?"

Crickets...and laughter from RHPH on that one.

PatK
08-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I do not know what is worse: Morgan's phoned in commentaries, or McCarver's alternate reality. It's like choosing between a knee to the groin or a blow to the head.

I don't know, but Morgan has been known to make up some nonsense himself.

soxfanatlanta
08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know, but Morgan has been known to make up some nonsense himself.

That's the thing; Morgan knows when he is talking out his rump; McCarver has completely lost touch with reality.

Marqhead
08-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't mind Miller, except that his voice sounds like he's talking with a mouthful of pudding.

I find Morgan to be dreadful.

McCarver goes on random tangents that don't make sense, and certainly no one cares about.

Joe Buck is horrible. Simply horrible. He does baseball and football and I can't stand him for either. Every time I hear the clip "And the White Sox have won the World Series" sounds robotic l ike he doesn't even want to be there.

On another note, I've started listening to the Sunday night games on ESPN radio. Dan Shulman gives amazing play-by-play and Dave Campell is a great color guy. They have easily become my favorite national broadcasting team for any sport.

soxinem1
08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I think Jon Miller does a real good job and is pretty unbiased when he calls games.

Joe Morgan, however, and his 'NL Superiority' can take a flying hike. Just like Johnny Bench and other from those 'Big Red machine' days, he has that snotty 'We were the best ever, and so is NL baseball' type of arrogance that is such a turn off. If we wanted to hear about CIN from 1970, we'll watch ESPN Classics.

Joe (Hi, I'm Joe; And the White Sox win the World Series....) Buck and Chris (Oh, no) Berman, nuff said.....

They should put Dan Shulman on TV, he is great on the radio.

PKalltheway
08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Buck and McCarver by far. I don't like Joe Morgan, but I do enjoy listening to Jon Miller.

Plus, contrary to some of the posts here, I actually thought that Buck's final call of the 2005 World Series wasn't bad at all. Other than that, I don't care for Joe Buck.

Marqhead
08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
My personal favorite Buck/McCarver exchange:

Buck: "Some people think it would have been good to get Lidge into game 6 of the NLCS to get the taste of the Pujols homerun out of his mouth."

McCarver: (In the middle of Lidge's windup) "I don't think he has that taste anymore."

Half a second later Pods goes out to right center to end the game. Cracks me up (and makes me feel tingly inside) everytime I see/hear it.

ChiSoxGirl
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Buck: "Some people think it would have been good to get Lidge into game 6 of the NLCS to get the taste of the Pujols homerun out of his mouth."

McCarver: (In the middle of Lidge's windup) "I don't think he has that taste anymore."

Half a second later Pods goes out to right center to end the game. Cracks me up (and makes me feel tingly inside) everytime I see/hear it.

And then Buck says, "That taste might be there now."

MDF3530
08-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I voted for "Tie".

Jon Miller is a Vin Scully-wannabe, Joe Buck is okay at football, Joe Morgan deserves his own wing in the Hall of Fame according to Joe Morgan and McCarver out-Maddens John Madden.

JB98
08-07-2007, 06:02 PM

LOL.

McCarver is the worst.