PDA

View Full Version : So far I'm schedule...


THE_HOOTER
04-06-2002, 03:30 AM
With my point that the Sox don't have the pitching to get it done. Granted the hitting has not been steller, but the pitching in the spring has got to carry you.

1-3, although it's not alarming every game counts. We currently have no bullpen, which is what you figure out in April. Our starting pitching has been solid, a nice surprise.

Please don't dig a hole.....

RedPinStripes
04-06-2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
With my point that the Sox don't have the pitching to get it done. Granted the hitting has not been steller, but the pitching in the spring has got to carry you.

1-3, although it's not alarming every game counts. We currently have no bullpen, which is what you figure out in April. Our starting pitching has been solid, a nice surprise.

Please don't dig a hole.....

Bullpen gave up 0 runs today. That's an improvement. Now i'd be nice if the starters ccan get hot when the pen does. A little more frank and maggs production would be nice too.

Mathew
04-06-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
With my point that the Sox don't have the pitching to get it done. Granted the hitting has not been steller, but the pitching in the spring has got to carry you.

1-3, although it's not alarming every game counts. We currently have no bullpen, which is what you figure out in April. Our starting pitching has been solid, a nice surprise.

Please don't dig a hole.....

Just don't remind us every 30 seconds like a certain someone used to. :D: :cool:

THE_HOOTER
05-13-2002, 10:14 AM
For those of you who were not worried about the pitching, please step forward and eat your words.

The combo of Ritchie and Buerhle is solid, but besides Foulke, there is not one consistent pitcher in our rotation or bullpen.

I suppose if Wunsch comes back and is solid you have some depth. Wunsch, Osuna, Howry, Marte, Foulke, and Glover.

Biddle should take Glovers spot in the rotation. Glover really seems to be an effective set up guy.

We need one more consistent arm to go along with Biddle, Buerhle, and Ritchie. Garland and Wright are too inconsistent, and I think you can only afford to have one of them in the rotation.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
For those of you who were not worried about the pitching, please step forward and eat your words.:troll

Yes, I am so happy when the Sox lose. Then I can obnoxiously claim I was right!

THE_HOOTER
05-13-2002, 12:38 PM
That was a little harsh.

I just was mentioning that the pitching concerns should not be new news.

Before the season started, our GM, coach, and many fans were content with the staff we had going into the season.

Our pitching is below average- thats all I was saying.

Heck, I wish I was wrong because i want to win. If we had some consistent pitching we could do some damage.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
That was a little harsh.

I just was mentioning that the pitching concerns should not be new news.

Before the season started, our GM, coach, and many fans were content with the staff we had going into the season.

Our pitching is below average- thats all I was saying.

Heck, I wish I was wrong because i want to win. If we had some consistent pitching we could do some damage. Well, you were a little harsh, too. However, when presented like you have above, you make a much better point.

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Was anyone happy with out pitching coming out of spring training? Our E.R.A was the highest in baseball by more than one run. Maybe people were confident we could get by with what we have but happy? I still think we can win the division as we stand. So what! The thought of anyone from 3-5 starting game 3 of a division series is frightening. That should be how we judge the staff.

bjmarte
05-13-2002, 05:21 PM
I was really hoping that either Wright or Garland would have stepped up by now as legit major league starting pitchers. I think it is still going to happen for both of them eventually but I'm not sure we can hold pat and wait.

Soxheads
05-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte
I was really hoping that either Wright or Garland would have stepped up by now as legit major league starting pitchers. I think it is still going to happen for both of them eventually but I'm not sure we can hold pat and wait.

I think Garland is almost there. It seems like he also has that first inning hump.

I am not quite as optimistic about Wright. I have always viewed him as a middle reliever for some reason. Of course, if he succeeds at SP, then I'll eat my words!

charlie browned
05-13-2002, 05:57 PM
I think Garland is almost there.


Bill James makes an interesting observation that the vast majority of pitchers who ended up having productive major league careers averaged at least 4.5 strikeouts per nine innings in the early seasons of their careers. Pitchers who were below this threshold, if they stuck around at all, were one season wonders.

For his career, Jon Garland right now is at 4.6 K's per 9 innings